Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 pm OMG my :dillerman: friend in Chicago just bought this for $450 from the OG owner. It's got like 80k miles. LORT

It's so hot.
That is an epic deal. I need something like that. Could haul the mountain bike, kid, wife, dog, and picnic supplies, inside, all at the same time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:51 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 pm OMG my :dillerman: friend in Chicago just bought this for $450 from the OG owner. It's got like 80k miles. LORT

It's so hot.
That is an epic deal. I need something like that. Could haul the mountain bike, kid, wife, dog, and picnic supplies, inside, all at the same time.
Minivans seem to be cheap because they aren't cool... but ZOMG OVERLANDING VEHICLES are worth a million dollars. It's funny because minivans actually do almost all of the things people actually use these vehicles for better. I would totally rock one as a weekend activities vehicle. I got so much hate on here back in the day when I tried to buy my dad's Odyssey :doe: :lolol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:38 am

Minivans seem to be cheap because they aren't cool... but ZOMG OVERLANDING VEHICLES are worth a million dollars. It's funny because minivans actually do almost all of the things people actually use these vehicles for better. I would totally rock one as a weekend activities vehicle. I got so much hate on here back in the day when I tried to buy my dad's Odyssey :doe: :lolol:
+1 for van lyfe. They are brilliant appliances
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:49 pm Niceee...

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ontar ... -1.5336770

And they call these debaucheries "safety devices."
This is very strange. However, the solution she wants is also not that feasible since she used the car for almost 2 years. Doubt they’d refund her. But her issue is for sure a indicator on quirkiness that comes with Hyundai’s. Quality seems to be hit or miss.

When it snowed in Virginia and I drove the mk7.5 with the front collision avoidance, the computer would give me a warning that sensor isn’t available due to the fact that it’s obstructed by snow. IDK how it knew but I guess the computer calculated ambient temps (below freezing) plus other shit to just shut off the sensor due to snow as opposed to false alarms like lady in the article had.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:38 am

Whatever stigma aside, a minivan is the true one car to do it all.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:38 pm

This is very strange. However, the solution she wants is also not that feasible since she used the car for almost 2 years. Doubt they’d refund her. But her issue is for sure a indicator on quirkiness that comes with Hyundai’s. Quality seems to be hit or miss.

When it snowed in Virginia and I drove the mk7.5 with the front collision avoidance, the computer would give me a warning that sensor isn’t available due to the fact that it’s obstructed by snow. IDK how it knew but I guess the computer calculated ambient temps (below freezing) plus other shit to just shut off the sensor due to snow as opposed to false alarms like lady in the article had.
Wifey's H does that with her smart cruise control. The solution is to turn off the feature and just use regular, "dumb" cc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yea still safer than your average :derp: driving tho
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

I’d look into a minivan daily but I doubt my fiancée would go for it. $450 is :heavybreathing: :doe:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
razr390

RLWake wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:34 pm I’d look into a minivan daily but I doubt my fiancée would go for it. $450 is :heavybreathing: :doe:
If she kicks you out of the house at least you have a place to sleep :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:04 pm

On the whole, yes.

But these emergency braking systems tend to err on the side of caution and will stop the vehicle randomly for seemingly no reason depending on what the sensors perceive. I really don't want a vehicle with this tech, but I pay attention to the road. Most other :derp: are likely better off with this stuff, it can mean the difference between someone slamming into the back of you at 35 when you're stopped at a light because they're too busy sending selfies on facegram to actually pay attention to the road, and not.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:57 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:04 pm

On the whole, yes.

But these emergency braking systems tend to err on the side of caution and will stop the vehicle randomly for seemingly no reason depending on what the sensors perceive. I really don't want a vehicle with this tech, but I pay attention to the road. Most other :derp: are likely better off with this stuff, it can mean the difference between someone slamming into the back of you at 35 when you're stopped at a light because they're too busy sending selfies on facegram to actually pay attention to the road, and not.
I agree in general but :science: shows us another pattern. We just had 48k traffic deaths last year. The more of these systems are out there and working the better imo. We have completely degenerated as drivers over the last few years
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:57 pm
On the whole, yes.

I agree in general but :science: shows us another pattern. We just had 48k traffic deaths last year. The more of these systems are out there and working the better imo. We have completely degenerated as drivers over the last few years
Yea, but what were miles driven last year? Traffic deaths per mile driven would be an interesting stat.

These systems are absolutely making the roads safer. There's always stories to the contrary and those of us that pay attention to the road are quick to point out faults (myself included), but overall they're good for the masses.

What I don't like is people relying too much on these systems, giving themselves a false sense of security and permission to pay even less attention to the road.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I forget which carmaker it was but there was a recent commercial where a bunch of teenaged girls are in a car and the driver is on her phone and starts to drift into another occupied lane...

She gets momentarily shook when the car automatically corrects her steering and helps her avoid tragedy.... and then shrugs it off and goes back to giggling with the girls ... :wtf:

I mean I get that they are marketing to parents but they also seem to be saying "Hey with our car you don't have to stay off of your phone, OMG ZFG YOLO LULZ :pout: :sass: :yeahok: "

:rage:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:25 pm I forget which carmaker it was but there was a recent commercial where a bunch of teenaged girls are in a car and the driver is on her phone and starts to drift into another occupied lane...

She gets momentarily shook when the car automatically corrects her steering and helps her avoid tragedy.... and then shrugs it off and goes back to giggling with the girls ... :wtf:

I mean I get that they are marketing to parents but they also seem to be saying "Hey with our car you don't have to stay off of your phone, OMG ZFG YOLO LULZ :pout: :sass: :yeahok: "

I've seen that commercial. It's extremely :rage: inducing for exactly the reasons you gave. :|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:25 pm I forget which carmaker it was but there was a recent commercial where a bunch of teenaged girls are in a car and the driver is on her phone and starts to drift into another occupied lane...

I don't watch TV, so I rarely see commercials. We were at a friend's house last month and they had a sportsballstickpuck game thing on, and I happened to glance at the TV during this commercial. In the middle of some random convo I shout out "WHAT THE FUCK".

My buddy who also works in the industry looked at me with a smirk. "Have you seen that shit?" I asked him.

He just nodded and said "can you believe an OEM is advocating for distracted driving?"

I was stunned. And this is the problem with this safety tech. It's not intended to be relied on in this manner, it's intended to be a safety net. Incredibly irresponsible IMO. Those marketing jackasses should be fired.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:09 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 pm

Yea, but what were miles driven last year? Traffic deaths per mile driven would be an interesting stat.

These systems are absolutely making the roads safer. There's always stories to the contrary and those of us that pay attention to the road are quick to point out faults (myself included), but overall they're good for the masses.

What I don't like is people relying too much on these systems, giving themselves a false sense of security and permission to pay even less attention to the road.
You're assuming they are paying attention to begin with. Last year saw a huge spike in per mile deaths. biggest spike in recorded history due to all the :fullretard: shit we've all witnessed I am sure.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehic ... estimates/
December motor-vehicle deaths up 8% from last year

Because of COVID-19-related impacts, the number of miles driven in 2020 decreased 13.2% compared to 2019. The number of miles driven in December 2020 decreased 10.3% compared to December 2019. Deaths for 2020 are estimated to be 42,060. This preliminary estimate is up 8% compared to 2019. Motor-vehicle deaths in December 2020 totaled 3,500. This preliminary estimate is up 8% from December 2019. December marks the seventh consecutive monthly increase following three straight months of decreases during the COVID-19-related shutdowns. The increasing deaths combined with the large decrease in miles driven results in a monthly mileage death rate increase of 20.2% compared to December 2019. The mileage death rate per 100 million vehicle miles driven for December 2020 is 1.43, compared to 1.19 in 2019.
max225

Yea, people can't drive for shit nowadays and cars are faster than ever. A modern camry is faster than 99% of cars sold pre 1980.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:51 pm

I don't watch TV, so I rarely see commercials. We were at a friend's house last month and they had a sportsballstickpuck game thing on, and I happened to glance at the TV during this commercial. In the middle of some random convo I shout out "WHAT THE FUCK".

My buddy who also works in the industry looked at me with a smirk. "Have you seen that shit?" I asked him.

He just nodded and said "can you believe an OEM is advocating for distracted driving?"

I was stunned. And this is the problem with this safety tech. It's not intended to be relied on in this manner, it's intended to be a safety net. Incredibly irresponsible IMO. Those marketing jackasses should be fired.
Can’t wait for the lawsuits
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

There is going to be a lot of unnecessary death, :burneverything: :thisisfine: and dis :member: ment between now and autonomous driving if they keep marketing these nannies as..... well, nannies....

they aren't...

these features can, and likely do, save lives when used as intended...

as a occasional hedge against momentary lapses of judgement/attention.....

but if young and inexperienced or older and just :derp: drivers come to depend on them to save them from themselves....

they are :doomed:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:51 pm

Agreed.

When I've sold cars with safety tech, I always remind the buyer it's not autonomous driving - it's there as a safety net. A last ditch if you will.

I'll cling to my techless cars as long as I can, the auto braking stuff pisses me off and just makes things more expensive to fix.
The lane keep assist is what pisses me off the most. Like don’t yank the wheel out of my hand to maintain the lane when I just wanted to change lanes without a signal jeez :nope: :angrypanda:

Best thing about :cheese: is that there are no bitchy annoying nannies and I poke one button and the traction and stability control is off and shenanigans are on.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Yea, people can't drive for shit nowadays and cars are faster than ever. A modern camry is faster than 99% of cars sold pre 1980.
Someone from 25 years ago would shit themselves if they saw what a stock C8 corvette could do compared to the dinky ol’ C4 :gag:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm
RLWake wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:34 pm I’d look into a minivan daily but I doubt my fiancée would go for it. $450 is :heavybreathing: :doe:
If she kicks you out of the house at least you have a place to sleep :iono:
You can live in your van but you can't drive your house.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 am
RLWake wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:54 pm

Someone from 25 years ago would shit themselves if they saw what a stock C8 corvette could do compared to the dinky ol’ C4 :gag:
They don't care as long as they can stuff their golf clubs in the trunk, shoot 9 holes, and get to Hooters for their weekly New Balance meetup.
There's one main road that goes up our peninsula. It's 55mph, and a gorgeous drive. This weekend, as I turn onto it from the main road in the CT, I'm behind a new torch red C8. I crack the windows hoping to tickle my ears with a bit of V8 vroom goodness expecting the dude to hammer it as he turned on the road ahead of me.

But nothing. The speed limit starts at 35 in a heavy residential area, then 45 past some parks, then finally 55. Most follow the speed limits exactly or go ~5 over. Not this guy. Not only did he not hammer it once, but he cruised along like a grandma 10 mph under the limit. I was stuck behind him with a parade of vehicles behind me (probably assuming that it was be in the old man truck driving slow) until he turned into a mansion on the water and I got a glimpse of his silver white hair, liver spots, and squinting eyes into the sun. Not sure if he couldn't see or what, but man...what a waste.

:csb:
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:50 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 am

They don't care as long as they can stuff their golf clubs in the trunk, shoot 9 holes, and get to Hooters for their weekly New Balance meetup.
There's one main road that goes up our peninsula. It's 55mph, and a gorgeous drive. This weekend, as I turn onto it from the main road in the CT, I'm behind a new torch red C8. I crack the windows hoping to tickle my ears with a bit of V8 vroom goodness expecting the dude to hammer it as he turned on the road ahead of me.

But nothing. The speed limit starts at 35 in a heavy residential area, then 45 past some parks, then finally 55. Most follow the speed limits exactly or go ~5 over. Not this guy. Not only did he not hammer it once, but he cruised along like a grandma 10 mph under the limit. I was stuck behind him with a parade of vehicles behind me (probably assuming that it was be in the old man truck driving slow) until he turned into a mansion on the water and I got a glimpse of his silver white hair, liver spots, and squinting eyes into the sun. Not sure if he couldn't see or what, but man...what a waste.

:csb:
A corvette in a parade ? YOU DON'T SAY. This is just how it is and it keeps the cars nice for the next gen. Much nicer than going through a BRZ DRIFT ALL DAY EVERYDAY experience.

SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Late to the party, but fuck some of this safety tech. Michelle and I were cruising the other weekend in her Cx5 and the car in front of us was making a right hand turn. They slowed down more than they needed to, but we were still a safe distance away and going pretty slow too, but then her forward collision sensor activated and locked up all her breaks bringing us to a complete stop and we were inches from being rear ended by the massive truck behind us who reasonably wasn’t expecting us to stop like that. She said it’s done similar stuff to her before. I need to spend some time figuring out how to turn as much of that shot off for her as I can.