Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:52 pm
And we already have 10' plastic kayaks, so meh.

Only issue is 10'ers are a bit small for the water we paddle, but staying close to the shore is ok.
Dat Edmund Fitzgerald
Speaking of this..... this is a super cool video of actual footage of the ship with the song playing in the background.....

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:54 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Chevrolet ... SwxqZgANZv

1/2 price. Far more desirable IMHO.
I think these are about bottomed out if you don't put 50k miles on one. They've been 65K used for nearly a decade.
I think they are due for an upswing. Too much motor, too much capability, too good looking and too rare to keep depreciating.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:41 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:05 pm

I think these are about bottomed out if you don't put 50k miles on one. They've been 65K used for nearly a decade.
I think they are due for an upswing. Too much motor, too much capability, too good looking and too rare to keep depreciating.
I mean, this a 200mph car.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm

Dat Edmund Fitzgerald
Speaking of this..... this is a super cool video of actual footage of the ship with the song playing in the background.....

:like:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:42 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:41 pm

with a 20mph interior
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:05 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 pm

You have mad skillz man. I cant wait to see more of the 9 fo fo .....
:dat:

Most of us do not have the ability or space or time or some combination of those things. I wish I was skilled and had the drive to accomplish such a thing.
It does take time and ambition, but you certainly don't have to go full tilt like I have with my dad's Impala or the 944. I do have the abilities and space to go further into a project vehicle than most, but not every vehicle needs an engine swap to be cool. You can always just modify things overtime.

The trick is to look at cars that others aren't looking at. For example, I think the 3.7L Mustangs are extremely underrated and their resale values reflect as much. GT prices are bonkers and the Ecoboost prices are a little more reasonable, but the 3.7 prices are at the very bottom. It's still a 300 HP V6 that responds well to modifications. If you can get beyond the V6 Mustang stigma, I think the car could be a decent buy for a fun toy.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:30 pm Or fathers handing us a Lincoln Welder when we were 8.
Add 20 years to that age, and replace "fathers handing us a Lincoln Welder" with "I bought the welder off Craigslist after my dad bought the Impala and taught myself how to weld through reading, videos, and practice."
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:42 pm

with a 20mph interior
I resemble that remark.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:02 am

Most of us do not have the ability or space or time or some combination of those things. I wish I was skilled and had the drive to accomplish such a thing.
It does take time and ambition, but you certainly don't have to go full tilt like I have with my dad's Impala or the 944. I do have the abilities and space to go further into a project vehicle than most, but not every vehicle needs an engine swap to be cool. You can always just modify things overtime.

The trick is to look at cars that others aren't looking at. For example, I think the 3.7L Mustangs are extremely underrated and their resale values reflect as much. GT prices are bonkers and the Ecoboost prices are a little more reasonable, but the 3.7 prices are at the very bottom. It's still a 300 HP V6 that responds well to modifications. If you can get beyond the V6 Mustang stigma, I think the car could be a decent buy for a fun toy.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:30 pm Or fathers handing us a Lincoln Welder when we were 8.
Add 20 years to that age, and replace "fathers handing us a Lincoln Welder" with "I bought the welder off Craigslist after my dad bought the Impala and taught myself how to weld through reading, videos, and practice."
I've always thought the recent V6 Mustangs were pretty good. Less weight over the nose and such, could be a fun track beater or DD. Some of them actually sound pretty good as well. It would be fun to chase down the big power Camaros on track in one and then laugh as they heard the V6 blow by.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:34 am
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:12 pm

with a 20mph interior
Ehh...

I’d give it 55 MPH at least.

C5 interior though, that’s full blown Cozy Coupe.
I am a weird out of touch tech hater... but I really like the C6 interior.

C5 is :gag: to look at but functional enough.
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:08 am

Ehh...

The C6 interior never really bothered me aside from the 05s with the C5 steering wheel carryover.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:08 am

Ehh...

C6 base looks pretty low market, but something like Eric's 3LT is :nice: with leather wrapped dash, etc. I'm personally impressed with the C7 interior.
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:07 am I've always thought the recent V6 Mustangs were pretty good. Less weight over the nose and such, could be a fun track beater or DD. Some of them actually sound pretty good as well. It would be fun to chase down the big power Camaros on track in one and then laugh as they heard the V6 blow by.
I just watched some 3.7 videos, and there are exhausts that give that V6 a decent sound, actually.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:45 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:07 am I've always thought the recent V6 Mustangs were pretty good. Less weight over the nose and such, could be a fun track beater or DD. Some of them actually sound pretty good as well. It would be fun to chase down the big power Camaros on track in one and then laugh as they heard the V6 blow by.
I just watched some 3.7 videos, and there are exhausts that give that V6 a decent sound, actually.
I've heard a few that sound pretty mean, but if you go down the wrong path things can also sound like total dogshit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:24 am I don't know if I'd go as far as saying a V6 Mustang sounds good...

But they are definitely amusing track :trollface: propositions.
I like them with the right exhaust (not sure what that is). At least it's not a damn 2.0T :gag:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

A V6 'stang might as well be a Ferrari in auditory beauty next to the fucking 2.0 :jeep: :disgust:

:mk6: and poverty BMW were hardly better.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Very :impressive: :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:58 am A V6 'stang might as well be a Ferrari in auditory beauty next to the fucking 2.0 :jeep: :disgust:

:mk6: and poverty BMW were hardly better.
My mini ain’t bad, but the engine is a vacuum. The exhaust :doe: is epic
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:ohdang: Random shot in the dark misses by a mile.
Huckleberry

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:43 pm

:ohdang: Random shot in the dark misses by a mile.
Definitely the best $125 I ever spent. The timing was perfect, too, because I was able to meet the person and grab the welder on my way to the beach. It also paid dividends for my friend when the crossmember on his 99 Sierra rotted out. I also laugh at the people who talk shit on fluxcore.

max225

I’m going to make a big and bold and nasty :eeyore: prediction.

Quite soon fuel prices are going to crush the current golden time of the ICE car/truck. And we will be forced into electric shitboxes (for most, unless you can afford an Audi E Tron RS).

I think the first wave will start as soon as 2022. I would no longer purchase anything worth $$$$$ that gets sub 30mpg

Now the ironic part will be major automakers will be also behind the switch, as they have been investing billions each to electrify.

2023 will see truck/off road vehicles completely wiped out. Think 50% of msrp @ 1 year old as prior in 08.

So my word of the wise to y’all is take that road trip and put some miles on your stable. This is the time to enjoy what you have, soon it will be economically unfeasible
:popcorn:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:39 am I’m going to make a big and bold and nasty :eeyore: prediction.

Quite soon fuel prices are going to crush the current golden time of the ICE car/truck. And we will be forced into electric shitboxes (for most, unless you can afford an Audi E Tron RS).

I think the first wave will start as soon as 2022. I would no longer purchase anything worth $$$$$ that gets sub 30mpg

Now the ironic part will be major automakers will be also behind the switch, as they have been investing billions each to electrify.

2023 will see truck/off road vehicles completely wiped out. Think 50% of msrp @ 1 year old as prior in 08.

So my word of the wise to y’all is take that road trip and put some miles on your stable. This is the time to enjoy what you have, soon it will be economically unfeasible
:popcorn:
You’re more of a numbers guy than me for sure. I don’t think it’ll be THAT quick. Gradually for sure. Obviously big manufacturers are already shifting most of their future production toward plug in hybrid/electric/etc. but infrastructure for charging still isn’t there, and neither is then infrastructure for electric grids there yet too. I think more realistic will be maybe 2025 for gas prices to be completely “unreasonable”
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Max, as an FYI (and I think that it relates), Canadian Liberals cucks are planning a tax hike on carbon and mapped the fuel costs already.

We are currently at 4.4 cents/liter of carbon tax. It peaks out at 22.x cents/liter. The current cost of post tax gas here is about $1.20/liter or $3.50USD/gal, and will be taxed to reach $3.90USD/gal at peak. I'm not sure what the gas manufacturing cost will be, but we have seen higher prices before the plandemic. Peak is somewhere around 3.90, so the new peak will be 4.30/gal.

I don't know if that helps you to gauge future trends, but I think it adds some merit and value to the convo.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm Max, as an FYI (and I think that it relates), Canadian Liberals cucks are planning a tax hike on carbon and mapped the fuel costs already.

We are currently at 4.4 cents/liter of carbon tax. It peaks out at 22.x cents/liter. The current cost of post tax gas here is about $1.20/liter or $3.50USD/gal, and will be taxed to reach $3.90USD/gal at peak. I'm not sure what the gas manufacturing cost will be, but we have seen higher prices before the plandemic. Peak is somewhere around 3.90, so the new peak will be 4.30/gal.

I don't know if that helps you to gauge future trends, but I think it adds some merit and value to the convo.
Good data points. This will be a global phenomenon for sure. Your amazingly close to California on gas prices. I filled up today @ 3.35 $90 cents per gallon tax. 25 % tax rate...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I filled up today @ $3.16 for 93
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

$3.29/gal for 87 at Costco today.

Expected major price gouging coming down the mountain from Big Bear yesterday, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be, $3.99/gal for 87.