Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

They still screwed up the rear quarter glass.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Honda went the Nissan route: Increase the compact until it’s bigger than the midsize... this is what killed the maxima, and now the accord is probably dead too
:pouroneout:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:02 am Honda went the Nissan route: Increase the compact until it’s bigger than the midsize... this is what killed the maxima, and now the accord is probably dead too
Didn't they cancel the Shit too? Weird to make the Civic huge.

I think it looks good though, would hoon a Hype R.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:02 am Honda went the Nissan route: Increase the compact until it’s bigger than the midsize... this is what killed the maxima, and now the accord is probably dead too
Didn't they cancel the Shit too? Weird to make the Civic huge.

I think it looks good though, would hoon a Hype R.
Hype R is great to drive. And it’s quite spacious inside. I just couldn’t deal with the :disgust: styling and fake spoilers etc
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Michelle traded in her Mazda3 for a CX-5 Touring this weekend. Got something like $6500 off the sticker price and $3500 for her trade in. 0% apr. Did it all on her own. Wish she’d brought me as I think I could have gotten her at least another $1k between the trade in and negotiating on the new car, they gave her some BS about how they wouldn’t be able to resell her car and that it’d go to auction :notsure: But she’s happy and feels like she got a good deal all on her own, so that’s worth something there.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:39 pm Michelle traded in her Mazda3 for a CX-5 Touring this weekend. Got something like $6500 off the sticker price and $3500 for her trade in. 0% apr. Did it all on her own. Wish she’d brought me as I think I could have gotten her at least another $1k between the trade in and negotiating on the new car, they gave her some BS about how they wouldn’t be able to resell her car and that it’d go to auction :notsure: But she’s happy and feels like she got a good deal all on her own, so that’s worth something there.
What’s the detail on the Mazda 3? Miles/year etc. also is Michelle your sig other?
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:50 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:39 pm Michelle traded in her Mazda3 for a CX-5 Touring this weekend. Got something like $6500 off the sticker price and $3500 for her trade in. 0% apr. Did it all on her own. Wish she’d brought me as I think I could have gotten her at least another $1k between the trade in and negotiating on the new car, they gave her some BS about how they wouldn’t be able to resell her car and that it’d go to auction :notsure: But she’s happy and feels like she got a good deal all on her own, so that’s worth something there.
What’s the detail on the Mazda 3? Miles/year etc. also is Michelle your sig other?
Yes, she is.

2013 with like 97k miles on it. To be fair to the dealership she didn’t take care of it at all, so maybe it actually is worthless as a resell for them.. but two years ago when I traded in my GTI with 170k miles and an ECM that needed to be replaced the ave dealership repaired and sold that.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:06 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Yes, she is.

2013 with like 97k miles on it. To be fair to the dealership she didn’t take care of it at all, so maybe it actually is worthless as a resell for them.. but two years ago when I traded in my GTI with 170k miles and an ECM that needed to be replaced the ave dealership repaired and sold that.
So she just went and got a brand new 35k post tax vehicle ? Did y’all discuss it at all?

That aside the $3500 is an acceptable trade in value
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah a 2013 mazderp3 is basically worthless. Our 2014 is the newer generation which still looks new-ish (no smiley face, nice interior) and it too is worthless.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:12 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:06 pm

Yes, she is.

So she just went and got a brand new 35k post tax vehicle ? Did y’all discuss it at all?

Yeah we’d talked about it a bit. We keep separate finances, and while when/if we decide to buy a house in the future her monthly outlay will play a role, I don’t really care too much how she spends her money. She wanted to get something new last year when she paid the 3 off, but I convinced her to hang on to it for a while and live the no payment life for a bit which she did.

I think her post tax price is closer to 30k.. her payment is a little over $400/month for 60 months at 0 APR. So if we say $425 * 60 that’s $25,500 plus the $3500 she got for her car as a down payment. I don’t believe she put any cash down. She bought some extended warranty too.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:17 pm

Yeah we’d talked about it a bit. We keep separate finances, and while when/if we decide to buy a house in the future her monthly outlay will play a role, I don’t really care too much how she spends her money. She wanted to get something new last year when she paid the 3 off, but I convinced her to hang on to it for a while and live the no payment life for a bit which she did.

I think her post tax price is closer to 30k.. her payment is a little over $400/month for 60 months at 0 APR. So if we say $425 * 60 that’s $25,500 plus the $3500 she got for her car as a down payment. I don’t believe she put any cash down. She bought some extended warranty too.
Extended warranty yaaaaay that aside the :dill:
Really seems :notbad:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Extended warranty yaaaaay that aside the :dill:
Really seems :notbad:
Yeah I think she did fine and she said the :dillerman: was nice and not pushy at all. Her having a good experience and feeling like she got a good deal on her own is worth far more than the $1k that I may have been able to save her with some haggling.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Yeah no harm in keeping the finances separate, IMO. You aren't bound by marriage/kids/home ownershit so makes sense to me.

I'm not really about that warranty life, but it sounds like a pretty good :dill: to me, not that I've shopped around or anything. They are nice CUVs at least.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My friend's gf has a cx5 touring. The front seats are comfy AF
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:42 am They still screwed up the rear quarter glass.
:dat:
A pillar forward looks fine. Dat rear quarter glass :doe: , :dislike:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

I don’t know if this is a Mazda corp initiative or just the local dealer, but I guess Michelle gets a free car wash and tire pressure check monthly for the first year of ownership. Car wash will probably be subpar, but will at least be something to get her in the habit of doing those things monthly.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:20 pm I don’t know if this is a Mazda corp initiative or just the local dealer, but I guess Michelle gets a free car wash and tire pressure check monthly for the first year of ownership. Car wash will probably be subpar, but will at least be something to get her in the habit of doing those things monthly.
May be a :dillerman: thing. I dunno if monthly washes are necessary in so cal though. They tend to wear out the paint also. Ironically some of the best paints I have seen were in neglected older cars.
max225

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ford-ceo-tac ... 31452.html

Fascinating article ... also puts :math: into what we already discussed. Fraud quality is shit ... even compared to GM
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 am https://www.yahoo.com/news/ford-ceo-tac ... 31452.html

Fascinating article ... also puts :math: into what we already discussed. Fraud quality is shit ... even compared to GM
Ford really does suck...can't deny the numbers.

Passing costs onto suppliers is just a shell game, and will likely piss off an already stressed supply base. Suppliers need to be held accountable, but at the same time, there's clearly flaws in the development/launch process that Ford needs to improve on. The other thing skewing these numbers is new product launches. Ford really screwed up the Explorer launch, driving up warranty costs, but new product launches in general are rarely perfect and result in higher costs. In the last few years that the article is citing, Ford launched some major products...Explorer, Aviator, Expedition, Navigator, Escape, probably others. These are high volume all-new launches that will naturally drive up warranty costs. Issues in scale production are really difficult to identify before production.

Right now, FCA has some of the lowest warranty costs because they haven't launched a new product other than JL/T and DT (Ram). That's nothing compared to Ford over the same time period.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:17 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 am https://www.yahoo.com/news/ford-ceo-tac ... 31452.html

Passing costs onto suppliers is just a shell game, and will likely piss off an already stressed supply base. Suppliers need to be held accountable, but at the same time, there's clearly flaws in the development/launch process that Ford needs to improve on. The other thing skewing these numbers is new product launches. Ford really screwed up the Explorer launch, driving up warranty costs, but new product launches in general are rarely perfect and result in higher costs. In the last few years that the article is citing, Ford launched some major products...Explorer, Aviator, Expedition, Navigator, Escape, probably others. These are high volume all-new launches that will naturally drive up warranty costs. Issues in scale production are really difficult to identify before production.

Right now, FCA has some of the lowest warranty costs because they haven't launched a new product other than JL/T and DT (Ram). That's nothing compared to Ford over the same time period.
The supplier thing is a crock of shit, they will just raise prices. That’s not how any of it works. Launching new products is just a way of life, their top selling product the F150 is doing 5x the volume of the new launches combined. So it should have offset.

Quality is not there at least from what I see from the financials.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:21 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:17 am

The supplier thing is a crock of shit, they will just raise prices. That’s not how any of it works. Launching new products is just a way of life, their top selling product the F150 is doing 5x the volume of the new launches combined. So it should have offset.

Quality is not there at least from what I see from the financials.
Suppliers are getting screwed in the industry now. All OEMs do is hit them up for cost reductions while at the same time forcing them to pay for warranty costs that sometimes are out of their control (how parts interact has a lot to do with it).

Warranty costs are costs period. There's offsets, sure...but it's still money going out the door that doesn't need to. A lot of it also comes down to product development and adherence to process. GM STRICTLY follows their development process, and has engineering design lock down stages much earlier than others to allow for more time trouble shooting and engineering parts/features before they reach production and cause issues. The problem with that is product plans need to be locked down many many years in advance, which makes the company less nimble. I struggled with that constantly when I was there, but the costs don't lie, it's how you keep warranty down. GM is last to market with a lot of features, but it's because of their timelines.

The interesting thing to watch will be the Hummer launch because GM basically threw out most of their established timetables and physical pre production builds in favor of more widespread computer modeling to speed up development. All in an effort to prove that it can be just as fast/nimble as startups. My friends there say it's been a disaster overall because the company is very process driven and they're trying to upend that with a high profile vehicle that's like nothing they've ever built before. BUT, EVs are overall simpler mechanically, so it might just work out. I hope it does.

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Jesus fuck this looks amazing.

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I had the wheels and calipers ceramic coated, and all the windows coated in GTechniq Smart Glass before winter.

My friend said he would bet money that the barrels have never been cleaned in 230k miles, and after seeing the pictures I believe him.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

That reminds me: I need to clean the wheels on my Rabbit.