Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:39 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am Image
https://postimg.cc/TKx7XHrN

https://postimg.cc/56L7TMFF

Lisa's dad's car. He bought it new. Spent the last 8-10 years as a wood shelf, collecting dust and mice nests. Convinced him to pull it out of the garage and we wrenched on it to get it running. Needs a lot. Was pretty funny to drive. Brakes are horrific, clutch pedal hinge is floor mounted, idle was 2k so that needs to be fixed, and carb tuning is off. But it ran pretty strong nonetheless. Engine was smoking when we were done, I think it's just starter oil we put into the block burning off the exhaust headers (that job was a little messy). Frame has a hole in it. Some rust.

40 MPH feels flat out reckless because you're like 6" off the ground in a go kart. It's loud and makes good noises. It's not really my thing. He said he'd give it to me if I want it.
Seems like a neat thing to do? Nice of him. I would probably jump on it and slowly bring it back to life. These sorted are pretty
All of :dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am Lisa's dad's car. He bought it new. Spent the last 8-10 years as a wood shelf, collecting dust and mice nests. Convinced him to pull it out of the garage and we wrenched on it to get it running. Needs a lot. Was pretty funny to drive. Brakes are horrific, clutch pedal hinge is floor mounted, idle was 2k so that needs to be fixed, and carb tuning is off. But it ran pretty strong nonetheless. Engine was smoking when we were done, I think it's just starter oil we put into the block burning off the exhaust headers (that job was a little messy). Frame has a hole in it. Some rust.

40 MPH feels flat out reckless because you're like 6" off the ground in a go kart. It's loud and makes good noises. It's not really my thing. He said he'd give it to me if I want it.
The modded examples out there look like an absolute blast to drive. You have prospects for somewhere to keep it and wrench on it? Without that it'd be tough to take on a car like that. I think I'd prefer an E30, but I'd still happily find a space for a 2002 in my garage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am Lisa's dad's car. He bought it new. Spent the last 8-10 years as a wood shelf, collecting dust and mice nests. Convinced him to pull it out of the garage and we wrenched on it to get it running. Needs a lot. Was pretty funny to drive. Brakes are horrific, clutch pedal hinge is floor mounted, idle was 2k so that needs to be fixed, and carb tuning is off. But it ran pretty strong nonetheless. Engine was smoking when we were done, I think it's just starter oil we put into the block burning off the exhaust headers (that job was a little messy). Frame has a hole in it. Some rust.

The modded examples out there look like an absolute blast to drive. You have prospects for somewhere to keep it and wrench on it? Without that it'd be tough to take on a car like that. I think I'd prefer an E30, but I'd still happily find a space for a 2002 in my garage.
I'd be torn... 2002 looks cooler, but E30 is likely a bit better to drive. They both look great :doe: , I'd take either as well, probably would lean to the 2002.

It seems like a tough sell with street parking though, it seems like a car that would need some wrenching/TLC somewhat regularly. :impressive: that is was pretty easy to get going after 10 years of neglect :doe:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:44 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:40 pm

I'd be torn... 2002 looks cooler, but E30 is likely a bit better to drive. They both look great :doe: , I'd take either as well, probably would lean to the 2002.

It seems like a tough sell with street parking though, it seems like a car that would need some wrenching/TLC somewhat regularly. :impressive: that is was pretty easy to get going after 10 years of neglect :doe:
Yeah I mean its running rough, definitely needs to be tuned. Spark plugs were black and covered in carbon.... so once its running OK it needs to be driven a handful of miles on the highway or something to clear it up.

There's no way I'd street park this. It would be gone in 2 days. Or backed into by some dumbass and totaled.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:12 pm A sane 2002 restomod with a 318ti engine would be super cool. 15" wheels with some conti sports, decent brakes and shocks... but you need a garage to own an old car.
Its more of a fun quirky car. Not a racy car at all, at least in stock form.

Really not sure what was up with the brakes but they had like no stopping power at all. One of the rear drums was fully seized, we had to hammer the adjusters back so maybe that's what is wrong.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Not sure you'd want this to be an only car, it's really just a fun/tinker thing.

That said, if it needs to be moved...this is the exact sort of thing I'm looking for. I LOVE that car and have always wanted a 2002.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

There was a guy in KY with a fairly lightly modded 2002 (just basic suspension bolt-on stuff, wheels and tires - no idea on brakes) that ran it in autox all of the time, it was on stock power so not fast but it seemed to handle well enough and looked fun. It's so much smaller than an E30, or pretty much any modern car, that it'd be a really :neat: experience.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:10 pm There was a guy in KY with a fairly lightly modded 2002 (just basic suspension bolt-on stuff, wheels and tires - no idea on brakes) that ran it in autox all of the time, it was on stock power so not fast but it seemed to handle well enough and looked fun. It's so much smaller than an E30, or pretty much any modern car, that it'd be a really :neat: experience.
I had a buddy in CA that had a 2002. His dad bought it new and he inherited it when his dad passed away suddenly. He got it around the same time I got my e30, and the two side by side were hilarious. My e30 dwarfed it on the outside. I loved my e30, but I was really taken by the 2002. It's so small, but being German surprisingly spacious. The greenhouse is massive so you can see everything, and it really does drive like a go-kart. Not fast, but that's not the point. It's really a ton of fun to blast around in.

I've looked on and off for years, but the prices went into the stratosphere pretty fast. They're fun, but not like $15k+ fun.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:00 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:12 pm A sane 2002 restomod with a 318ti engine would be super cool. 15" wheels with some conti sports, decent brakes and shocks... but you need a garage to own an old car.

Really not sure what was up with the brakes but they had like no stopping power at all. One of the rear drums was fully seized, we had to hammer the adjusters back so maybe that's what is wrong.
Probably shit fluid, air in the system, and shit pads? I imagine just a regular flush/clean/new pads and maybe rotors would go far.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Probably shit fluid, air in the system, and shit pads? I imagine just a regular flush/clean/new pads and maybe rotors would go far.
:dat:

Drums in the back would likely need new wheel cylinders if they're stuck. Still, very simple overall.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Man this is just an epic conundrum that makes me :sad: everywhere. On the one hand, you are being offered FOR FREE, really one of the crown jewels of BMW history (no it's not a tii but he probably wouldn't give that to you), which is easy to wrench on, simple, and just a fun project........needs worked but hardly a basket case. But on the other hand you simply have no garage for it.

IDK. Friends with extra garage spaces are hard to come by.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:39 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am Image
https://postimg.cc/TKx7XHrN

https://postimg.cc/56L7TMFF

Lisa's dad's car. He bought it new. Spent the last 8-10 years as a wood shelf, collecting dust and mice nests. Convinced him to pull it out of the garage and we wrenched on it to get it running. Needs a lot. Was pretty funny to drive. Brakes are horrific, clutch pedal hinge is floor mounted, idle was 2k so that needs to be fixed, and carb tuning is off. But it ran pretty strong nonetheless. Engine was smoking when we were done, I think it's just starter oil we put into the block burning off the exhaust headers (that job was a little messy). Frame has a hole in it. Some rust.

Seems like a neat thing to do? Nice of him. I would probably jump on it and slowly bring it back to life. These sorted are pretty
Looks like it would be super fun to do, assuming you can wrench on it at his house.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

If you want to delve into this, I'd be willing to sell my M20, trans and ECU to you for this.
I'm pretty sure I'll begin looking into an E46 ZHP swap into the E30 and an M20 into a 2002 would be the tits.

Also man, if you need any assistance holla.
These cars are stupid simple, so most of the wrenchers on here could answer your questions.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 pm If you want to delve into this, I'd be willing to sell my M20, trans and ECU to you for this.
I'm pretty sure I'll begin looking into an E46 ZHP swap into the E30 and an M20 into a 2002 would be the tits.
:popcorn:

What a fun project that would be.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I think Johnny should sell it to Chris to help fund his next purchase. F*ck I want it!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I would be remiss in failing to point out the linear upward progression of free shit being offered to you. We went from Subaru wagon to BMW 2002. Let us know when your uncle offers you his 930 Turbo.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

2002 is a legit classic. It's the Genesis of the 3-series.
The E30 is the beginning of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" tag line, and the yuppie stigma, but the 2002 is the Alpha.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:52 pm I think Johnny should sell it to Chris to help fund his next purchase. F*ck I want it!
I'm so into this idea.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:53 pm 2002 is a legit classic. It's the Genesis of the 3-series.
The E30 is the beginning of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" tag line, and the yuppie stigma, but the 2002 is the Alpha.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 pm If you want to delve into this, I'd be willing to sell my M20, trans and ECU to you for this.

These cars are stupid simple, so most of the wrenchers on here could answer your questions.
:jimp:

Never really looked into it, does an M20 fit without a ton of work into an 2002? They never came with 6cyl did they?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Lower it a tad, with Euro bumpers + Alpina wheels.

Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:21 pm

The drums don't have auto adjusters, it's manual. Likely we adjusted it way too loose and there's a ton of free travel before it engages now.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Never really looked into it, does an M20 fit without a ton of work into an 2002? They never came with 6cyl did they?
I know it's pretty common, not sure of the specifics.
Electronically, it's an all encompassed unit, only major retrofit would be a fuel pump to push the 38 psi to the injectors.

And it's really the best home for my engine. I can't sell it to a spec E30 racer because of the cam and valvetrain upgrades.
Other than that, no one really wants M20's.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Before we go too far down the rabbit hole, let me be real with you for a minute.

Classic cars really are a labor of love. It will ALWAYS need work, and will usually need some parts, some expensive, some not.
I now carry extra oil, coolant, a tool kit I got just for the E30, a spare jack, extra belts, and a fix-a-flat and first aid kit.

E30 needs:
Left passenger rear brake fixed
Exhaust leak fixed
Tach needle is loose and doesn't read right
Belts always fucking squeak
Leaks some oil, few drops from the RMS or trans input shaft
Diff clutches need replacing
Valve adjustment
Valve cover gasket

This is just a running list, I have the parts for most of this, just need to spend a full weekend working on it, in addition to the truck needing service, and wanting to do a paint correction on the 328i.

If this is something you really want, and are even remotely passionate about, find a way to make it happen. These cars are few and far between in this condition, and you'll likely never come across another one without shelling out serious cash. I know people who have paid upwards of $60k for 2002 restorations.

But, if this is kinda "meh" in your book, or you don't really have the fire in your belly be willing to help auction it off to someone who really wants it.

That's my :melon: opinion man.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:00 pm

I know it's pretty common, not sure of the specifics.
Electronically, it's an all encompassed unit, only major retrofit would be a fuel pump to push the 38 psi to the injectors.

And it's really the best home for my engine. I can't sell it to a spec E30 racer because of the cam and valvetrain upgrades.
Other than that, no one really wants M20's.
:notbad:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic ... r-dummies/

It doesn't sound too horrible, and holy crap would that be a fun car!