Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle

Detroit wrote:I subscribe to MotorTrend OnDemand for car content. Not too long ago, Hot Rod Garage did a build on a later body 4th gen Mustang...a car I've never really been into. Damn did it turn out cool, and done on a :scrooge: budget to boot. Would be a riot to beat on for cheap.
I still like the idea of a C4 vette, 99 cobra, 05-10 mustang GT, or any number of other "worthless" cars but I refuse to have anything that requires me to work on it when I don't have a garage.
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Gladiatrice

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 am
Detroit wrote:I subscribe to MotorTrend OnDemand for car content. Not too long ago, Hot Rod Garage did a build on a later body 4th gen Mustang...a car I've never really been into. Damn did it turn out cool, and done on a :scrooge: budget to boot. Would be a riot to beat on for cheap.
I still like the idea of a C4 vette, 99 cobra, 05-10 mustang GT, or any number of other "worthless" cars but I refuse to have anything that requires me to work on it when I don't have a garage.
You're doing it right. Nice fun car that doesn't require any major wrenching to get through until you have a garage again.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 am I still like the idea of a C4 vette, 99 cobra, 05-10 mustang GT, or any number of other "worthless" cars but I refuse to have anything that requires me to work on it when I don't have a garage.
You're doing it right. Nice fun car that doesn't require any major wrenching to get through until you have a garage again.
His current car seems perfectly fine. A $100 driveway tent and basic rust prevention seem like the way to go. He already had the “worthless” rx8, and mr2 and they didn’t last. :plac:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 am
His current car seems perfectly fine. A $100 driveway tent and basic rust prevention seem like the way to go. He already had the “worthless” rx8, and mr2 and they didn’t last. :plac:
:dat:

I have honestly been amazed at how well my car is holding up now that it just kinda sits in the carport and driven maybe 100 miles/week average (most of which was a trip to CT and track day trips). Covered parking seems to do nearly as much, and avoiding crazy overuse.

:wrong:

I have pretty much decided I'm staying in the cheap car camp. Those Mustangs can be legit :notbad: with some suspension mods and would be neat. There's still cheap stuff that is cool and not worrying about it constantly or ever is fuckin' great.

Sadly the off-road scene really has nothing in this category for Max :doe: . I think my new JL is as :scrooge: as one can really get, or maybe a 10 year old JK sport or 4R.
Detroit

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:36 pm

I have honestly been amazed at how well my car is holding up now that it just kinda sits in the carport and driven maybe 100 miles/week average (most of which was a trip to CT and track day trips). Covered parking seems to do nearly as much, and avoiding crazy overuse.

I have pretty much decided I'm staying in the cheap car camp. Those Mustangs can be legit :notbad: with some suspension mods and would be neat. There's still cheap stuff that is cool and not worrying about it constantly or ever is fuckin' great.

Sadly the off-road scene really has nothing in this category for Max :doe: . I think my new JL is as :scrooge: as one can really get, or maybe a 10 year old JK sport or 4R.
There's plenty of cheap off-road options that you and I would enjoy, just not up to the standards of Max or Zil. #Cheapcarlyfe isn't for everyone.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

You can't say that a brand new 40k JL is :scrooge: in the same sentence
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:36 pm That 996 is a pile of trash. Come at me
:nope: Totally agreed..
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: C5

TFLoffroad bought a Max spec Defender.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 pm TFLoffroad bought a Max spec Defender.
Been watching it ... and the check engine light
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 pm TFLoffroad bought a Max spec Defender.
Interested in what that ends up being. Could be a coil plug that wasn't clicked fully into place or knocked loose during pre delivery wash or something.
Johnny_P
Drives: Burble

Warranty tho
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:43 pm

Compared to a 10 year old truck for 25% more I think it is... but you’re right, I’m kind of continually :disgust: that we bought such an expensive car. At the end of the day though, it is still worth what we paid.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:41 pm

There's plenty of cheap off-road options that you and I would enjoy, just not up to the standards of Max or Zil. #Cheapcarlyfe isn't for everyone.
True. I would happily rock that red Taco Johnny posted for $15k. I still think it’s overpriced though.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:30 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:43 pm

Compared to a 10 year old truck for 25% more I think it is... but you’re right, I’m kind of continually :disgust: that we bought such an expensive car. At the end of the day though, it is still worth what we paid.
agree to disagree. :scrooge: is something that doesn’t require 2 way insurance and costs 4 digits. Not close to mid 5s
fledonfoot
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

My father in law got the first defender in southern NJ. It broke down on the drive home because they forgot to secure the battery terminals during prep and it lost power and shut down. Two weeks later the check engine light came of for an evap code that a “software update” took care of. Otherwise, it’s a pretty cool truck.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:08 pm

My father in law got the first defender in southern NJ. It broke down on the drive home because they forgot to secure the battery terminals during prep and it lost power and shut down. Two weeks later the check engine light came of for an evap code that a “software update” took care of. Otherwise, it’s a pretty cool truck.
Interesting.
Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Aaarrr

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:41 pm
True. I would happily rock that red Taco Johnny posted for $15k. I still think it’s overpriced though.
I :like: it too
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:30 pm

agree to disagree. :scrooge: is something that doesn’t require 2 way insurance and costs 4 digits. Not close to mid 5s
You're :notwrong: I am just trying to justify the :troywax:
Detroit

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:13 am
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm

You justify it because it's a fun vehicle that both you and the wife enjoy. That's about as impossible to find as a house. At least yours is in an awesome color, I have to drive around the basic bitch spec all white Sahara that's been made by the tens of thousands.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:13 am

You justify it because it's a fun vehicle that both you and the wife enjoy. That's about as impossible to find as a house. At least yours is in an awesome color, I have to drive around the basic bitch spec all white Sahara that's been made by the tens of thousands.
That is the true reason. Every other vehicle I like she thinks is :disgust: and every other vehicle she likes I think is :disappoint:

She did want a white :jeep: as well, but man... she loves teal, she gets teal everything, so I was able to finally sell her on it for the car after much convincing. She now loves it but when I asked if she was a fun color convert, she was like "it is only cool on Wranglers"....

:tits: :rolleyes:
Detroit

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:11 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 am
That is the true reason. Every other vehicle I like she thinks is :disgust: and every other vehicle she likes I think is :disappoint:
Same here.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

We parked behind this one at a trail head and snapped a pic on the way out. It was even from the same :dillerman:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle

That teal is :neat:
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

@Big D why don't the JL and JT share the same color palette?
Detroit

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:17 pm @Big D why don't the JL and JT share the same color palette?
They're produced at different plants, so they take the opportunity to differentiate.