Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

So much :megusta:
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Now is a decent opportunity to pound out some feels on my rental poorsche/track day. Honestly more fun then I've had with a car really ever, although my area has a windy country road brimming with hairpins and straight aways that have given me a glimmer of this sort of fun in my C6 yester-year.... However, that came with a very real threat of meeting The Man or hitting a deer or tree! Today's experience is unadulterated and genuine freedom to beat the living piss out of fairly nice metal with little consequence aside from slamming into a barrier. I want to do it again, and may even consider track days with the R this summer. It is the way :jesus: intended it, heavenly and free spirited.

Speaking of nice metal, I'm using the term loosely, the cars are pretty ragged on and are slightly older then I thought we were getting. The F430 was neat, but right off the bat I could see how much wear and jean rubbing the beautiful tan seats took. One of the incandescent lights in the tail was burnt out, and even though it sat idling for nearly thirty minutes before people started driving it, the first thing that I noticed was a giant plume of white/blue smoke burst out of the tail pipe when it was called in to action on its first full throttle launch. It handled the rest of the day with grace and was a joy to see whipping around the track. Definitely needed an exhaust, everything stock was less exciting then I was hoping for. It was kind of a letdown from my metal portrayal, but I'm harder to please then the 23 yr old version of myself. I don't think having a nice one and being at the mercy of the Ferrari dealers to charge whatever they want three times per year just to keep the heads from detonating isn't my jam, even with :waxer: cashflow.

Laaaaambo incoming, another slightly :disgust: , mainly because it was a black spec older thing with a nardo grey wrap and bronze ramz and what I believe is an amateur tail light tinting job. Just fucking go have fun peeps, I'll wait for my 911. Alas, there were two, both black but the one I got sat slightly lower, but the person I asked about it to had no idea what was done. Before I get into it there was one loud ass beastly GT-R that was pretty cool actually. I don't think I could love it the way I feel love for the 911 but I'd consider one after listening and watching it tank around the track with great vengeance and furious anger... that thing would make a fantastic daily/track combo vehicle.

Finally after 90% of the group climbed all over each other to get into another ragged out car, an S55 w/ AMG pkg and used by the instructor to explain the track and it's various pilons and nuances and all started their track laps me and a couple of old dudes finally got our chance to comb over the course and line up for the 997.

1.4 km loop with a 400m straight away and really nice/smooth tarmac surfacing was easy to learn and had a variety of challenges. I'm no pro but I felt comfortable going pretty aggressively through it when my turn came up.

I honestly must have been the second to last to get going with it but didn't mind waiting, for one it helped my physically separate from the most loud motherfucker and his buddies, who also had a nasty sinus cold and cough, and also the weather was unusually mild and I was really enjoying the sun and watching the cars zip around the track.

Getting pulled into something, more to come, I'm stoked to tell you guys about my track sesh... but you know :hibachi: and chill.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Mario delivers!!!
wap

:popcorn:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:36 pm Mario delivers!!!
I went back to my car to check on my phones and used this one to take a few last pics as I stood by the sidelines... these could be pretty sick shots with the right camera

:jimp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Driving the 911 was crazy! 480?hp and a shifter that never had a morsel of hesitation to engage in any gear with any ham handed up or down shifts. Fack it was so smooth to operate. First gear snip and clutch up and little to no throttle showed me how we were doing for clutch and that's all I needed to know. It engaged smoothly and rolled along in first fully engaged still with no gas input and never once hiccuped. We rolled up with a slight feather and then back out again. Wow, "this thing is a little buscuit".

As soon as spaced allowed for my entry I was given the ok to go and banged out four gears by the time I hit the first pair of pilons (signifying off gas), and was deciding if I was going to drop it into second or third so I looked at the instructor and chose third haha. Every gear shift was silky smooth, telepathic, light clutched and pedal slammed HARD until near cut out, fucken idiots for lending these out to random assholes.

Dude didn't flinch until the third lap, just bobbed around and once said that I am doing pretty good when i asked how it's going? Then he started regretting it as i pushed the off throttle a little deeper into the brake zone, wanted to see how much further up into fourth I could get... and then brakes, gear change, whatever, the car never ever got fizzled. Occasionally it would squirm around as its tires edged their limits. Like honestly, I'm ok but I'm not an amazing driver but it was so easy to drive this car fast. I'm sold on it.

The fit and finish is superb too. A brushed aluminum shifter and hand brake were clad with appropriate engravings for the gear layout and branding on the handbrake, yellow analog dials, etc. So classy, and super refined. Like most :tits: would have to agree that this is a nice place to be. Corvette is dope, but this is next level.
Johnny_P

Yes. They are incredible machines. I’ve driven a 997 C2S and a Cayman S and both are a complete level above anything else I’ve ever been in.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Cool pics and story man! Sounds like a blast
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:45 am Cool pics and story man! Sounds like a blast
Thanks Max, I'm glad to be able to share the experience.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:13 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:45 am Cool pics and story man! Sounds like a blast
I've had a change of heart and my Meowta now is appraised for $80K and will have Porsche logos
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:26 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:13 pm

I've had a change of heart and my Meowta now is appraised for $80K and will have Porsche logos
:impressive:

Hope you're getting it serviced on time at the Porsche dealership to preserve its "value" 😜

What do you think that motor is going to be pushing for HP?
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:47 pm
Acid666 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:26 pm

:impressive:

Hope you're getting it serviced on time at the Porsche dealership to preserve its "value" 😜

What do you think that motor is going to be pushing for HP?
Between him and BBI, they're expecting the NA to push 1000hp easy. Supercharged version between 1,500-2,000 hp
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:37 am Image

Show me pretty cars
I know :wrong: and all, but I've always thought these were the best looking mid engine Ferraris. That green one.... :jimp:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:19 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:37 am Image

Show me pretty cars
I know :wrong: and all, but I've always thought these were the best looking mid engine Ferraris. That green one.... :jimp:
I don’t think anyone called a Ferrari ugly .... they have always been aspirational poster cars
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:19 am Show me pretty cars
[/quote]

I totally agree, I find perfection in their simplistic and clean design. They are absolutely gorgeous.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The Touareg came back from VW after they fixed the rust spot on the tailgate. The paint color and clearcoat look factory, there is a slight bit of running under on the bottom of the panel that faces straight down to the ground so it is basically invisible unless the hatch is open. I should be more sensitive about it but I'm going to let is slide. Rust spot is gone and it was a free fix, hopefully it doesn't ever return.

The other comedic result from this rust perforation claim is the mispositioned badging which the dealer felt they should charge me for, and the stupid "TOUAREG .... V6" badges weren't cheap, I think that they wanted to hit me up for almost $200. :yeahok: , I just laughed at the audacity and the girl helping me out knows me well and took it to the sales or ops manager who gave me the :like: from his desk across the showroom. She came back and said not to worry about the charge. I think I'm going to de-badge the tailgate at some point today if I have something to take the glue off with. Hopefully it just pulls right off since it is so new. :ohwell: , it's not a biggie and the car will age and become worthless eventually, so :whocares:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:28 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:19 am
I don’t think anyone called a Ferrari ugly .... they have always been aspirational poster cars
I think the Enzo is ugly. Never cared for the design.

The F355 though really stands out as :jimp: to me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:05 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:28 am

They are hot but I'm a 512 Berlinetta Boxer guy. Also agreed that green F355 is WOW. I've never seen a green Ferrari IRL.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:46 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:05 am

They are hot but I'm a 512 Berlinetta Boxer guy. Also agreed that green F355 is WOW. I've never seen a green Ferrari IRL.
That era of Ferrari design is my favorite. I guess it's what you grew up with :iono:
Obligatory 328 pics:
wap

My favorite of the more current Ferrari's is the 458, Last of the NA V8's
max225

wap wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:46 am

That era of Ferrari design is my favorite. I guess it's what you grew up with :iono:
Obligatory 328 pics:
These used to be 25k :(
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:56 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Obligatory 328 pics:
I think my friend got his for $40k like 10 years ago or something.

It's an interesting car and "fun" in a nostalgic way. It's pretty shit to drive, in all reality.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:59 pm

It's an interesting car and "fun" in a nostalgic way. It's pretty shit to drive, in all reality.
Just like any old car.

At least these look outstanding.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:59 pm

Is it ? I thought they handled ok, and sounded good. Never driven one. The best driving/handling car I ever drove was a F430
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:59 pm I think my friend got his for $40k like 10 years ago or something.

Just like any old car.

At least these look outstanding.
I suspect that one could make a 328 be awesome to drive with the right wheel/tire/shock/swaybar/alignment package. That's pretty much the case for every car.