Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:30 pm
max225 wrote:
This is me vs S&P but I over indexed in tech. After having sold a bunch of shit to buy the house
So you beat the market, me, and your own advice by what must be hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Why would you advise anyone do anything other than what you did?
Because it has a higher risk profile. As mentioned
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:30 pm So you beat the market, me, and your own advice by what must be hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Why would you advise anyone do anything other than what you did?
High risk. Yeah. Have you ever lost?
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:35 pm
max225 wrote:
High risk. Yeah. Have you ever lost?
Yes. I lost $35000 on oil.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:35 pm High risk. Yeah. Have you ever lost?
I mean overall, like in any particular year. Sure you lost in one position one time... But apparently you are smarter than the whole market which is why I want to buy your stocks. Not your advice for other people, but the exact ones that you buy with your own money.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:43 pm
max225 wrote:
I mean overall, like in any particular year. Sure you lost in one position one time... But apparently you are smarter than the whole market which is why I want to buy your stocks. Not your advice for other people, but the exact ones that you buy with your own money.
End of 2018 I was down 5% it seems, underperformed the S&P 500 by about that as well
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Apparently :haus: prices are up 21-24% here, so I'm calling that retirement fund :gainz:

:notbad: :butwhy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

@Troy - just take the advice and invest in the S&P 500. Of course it is flat in 2020, AFAIK the market took a huge dump and then rose back up to end up essentially flat. What happens over one year doesn't matter. I have been steadily just dumping 401K money into basic index funds like that for the past decade and have averaged a double digit return rate. This is not rocket science, I know nothing about almost investing and just basically max out employee retirement programs and put them in index funds.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:@Troy - just take the advice and invest in the S&P 500. Of course it is flat in 2020, AFAIK the market took a huge dump and then rose back up to end up essentially flat. What happens over one year doesn't matter. I have been steadily just dumping 401K money into basic index funds like that for the past decade and have averaged a double digit return rate. This is not rocket science, I know nothing about almost investing and just basically max out employee retirement programs and put them in index funds.
That's because you came of age at the beginning of the greatest expansion in history.

Starting out a little earlier than you, we lost a TON of money right away, then gave up because we had no confidence in ourselves or the world... and missed out on the greatest expansion in history. When we finally got to the guts to get back in, the party was over again. So now we're triply fucked. Lose, lose, lose.

Same issues with our real estate transactions, we lost every time. We can't win.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:15 am
D Griff wrote:@Troy - just take the advice and invest in the S&P 500. Of course it is flat in 2020, AFAIK the market took a huge dump and then rose back up to end up essentially flat. What happens over one year doesn't matter. I have been steadily just dumping 401K money into basic index funds like that for the past decade and have averaged a double digit return rate. This is not rocket science, I know nothing about almost investing and just basically max out employee retirement programs and put them in index funds.
That's because you came of age at the beginning of the greatest expansion in history.

Starting out a little earlier than you, we lost a TON of money right away, then gave up because we had no confidence in ourselves or the world... and missed out on the greatest expansion in history. When we finally got to the guts to get back in, the party was over again. So now we're triply fucked. Lose, lose, lose.

Same issues with our real estate transactions, we lost every time. We can't win.
That is not true, you have been whining about this on here for at least four years, in which time you could've simply gotten in the index funds and made double digit returns. Look at it historically. Will it always be double digit averages? Probably not, but as far as I know, it has averaged around 8%/year gains over the last 50+ years (again I admittedly know very little about investing, just follow the basic conventional wisdom, it might not yield Max level results but its good enough.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Car Talk...
:mahtroy: is the RX8 a terrible highway commuter?
Apex

Double tap.
troyguitar

Apex wrote:Car Talk...
Ride and handling are great, noise with stock exhaust is fine. It's a long wheelbase for a sports car plus the stiff chassis allows for soft springs. Running 17" wheels and decent tires will get you just as relaxed on the highway as any modern compact car.

...but I got 19 mpg at 75 mph and used about a quart of oil per 3000 miles, smart maintenance is to do spark plugs every year or two as well. The only positive for fuel cost is that they run well on 87.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am
Apex wrote:Car Talk...
Ride and handling are great, noise with stock exhaust is fine. It's a long wheelbase for a sports car plus the stiff chassis allows for soft springs. Running 17" wheels and decent tires will get you just as relaxed on the highway as any modern compact car.

...but I got 19 mpg at 75 mph and used about a quart of oil per 3000 miles, smart maintenance is to do spark plugs every year or two as well. The only positive for fuel cost is that they run well on 87.
Dang, mpg kinda sucks for a tiny motor but the rest of the car sounds great.
Finding them for under 10k would make the fuel cost easier.
Thanks!
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am Ride and handling are great, noise with stock exhaust is fine. It's a long wheelbase for a sports car plus the stiff chassis allows for soft springs. Running 17" wheels and decent tires will get you just as relaxed on the highway as any modern compact car.

Thanks!
Some people get mid 20s. I had wide, short, sticky tires plus the shorter final drive so it was the worst possible combo for highway mpg. The 09-11 cars are significantly more reliable and usually nicer all around without really costing much more (R3 trim being the exception, it's absolutely not worth the premium).
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:49 am
Apex wrote:
Thanks!
Some people get mid 20s. I had wide, short, sticky tires plus the shorter final drive so it was the worst possible combo for highway mpg. The 09-11 cars are significantly more reliable and usually nicer all around without really costing much more (R3 trim being the exception, it's absolutely not worth the premium).
Good tip is good!
They don’t seem to be very common, but if I could find one locally, post-VID, it would be fun to kick the tires.
troyguitar

Sales were really poor in 2009-11 for sure, they are rare cars. You'd be better off looking further South/West anyway though since rust is also a common RX8 problem.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:50 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:49 am Some people get mid 20s. I had wide, short, sticky tires plus the shorter final drive so it was the worst possible combo for highway mpg. The 09-11 cars are significantly more reliable and usually nicer all around without really costing much more (R3 trim being the exception, it's absolutely not worth the premium).
Good tip is good!
They don’t seem to be very common, but if I could find one locally, post-VID, it would be fun to kick the tires.
They are super :neat: I have driven :mahtroy: 's and one other one. They are pretty roomy inside and could probably work decently as a kid hauler assuming she is front facing at this point. The inputs are really great, steering/shifter/clutch/brake feel is excellent, kind of 86-like (I think it's the same transmission actually). The motor is cool, it's fine to wind out, albeit not particularly fast. It's an all around great car if MPG/reliability concerns aren't an issue.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I only got 15mpg highway in my :wankel:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Saw a couple Jeep/FCA something or others wrapped up in the generic "You see nothing" tarps driving together around Vegas yesterday morning. I am fairly sure they were Jeep/FCA based on the tail lights I could make out and the way they tried to hide the grille.

Looked like a mid-sized SUV, which is exactly what the world needs right now I guess. Didn't get any pics because I didn't really give a shit and was in a hurry to make my appointment with the site construction manager for my house.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:23 pm Saw a couple Jeep/FCA something or others wrapped up in the generic "You see nothing" tarps driving together around Vegas yesterday morning. I am fairly sure they were Jeep/FCA based on the tail lights I could make out and the way they tried to hide the grille.

Looked like a mid-sized SUV, which is exactly what the world needs right now I guess. Didn't get any pics because I didn't really give a shit and was in a hurry to make my appointment with the site construction manager for my house.
Maybe this is what DPlac was hinting at the other day? :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:08 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:23 pm Saw a couple Jeep/FCA something or others wrapped up in the generic "You see nothing" tarps driving together around Vegas yesterday morning. I am fairly sure they were Jeep/FCA based on the tail lights I could make out and the way they tried to hide the grille.

Maybe this is what DPlac was hinting at the other day? :iono:
Could be...a lot of hot weather testing is going on right now out there for all OEMs. Death Valley summer cycle testing is very common.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

If they can survive 130f they can survive anything. The motel 6 in Beaty, NV there is always housing them.

And the engineers from various brands frequent the bars there
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:59 am If they can survive 130f they can survive anything. The motel 6 in Beaty, NV there is always housing them.

And the engineers from various brands frequent the bars there
Exactly. It's built into most (maybe all) vehicle's development cycles. Even just new engines usually need to go through Death Valley heat testing...part of why it's so expensive to just "slap an engine in a vehicle".

The "Davis Dam" test is a towing test where the a vehicle needs to be be able to tow up the Davis Dam grade in the dead of summer at full capacity at speed limit with the AC blasting without impact on engine cooling.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Everytime I pass this place I want to turn off just for the hell of it.... Hyundai: We need a Proving Ground complex with an Indy/NASCAR track in the desert to test our sedans and CUVs.

ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm Everytime I pass this place I want to turn off just for the hell of it.... Hyundai: We need a Proving Ground complex with an Indy/NASCAR track in the desert to test our sedans and CUVs.

Pretty much all OEMs have proving grounds in the desert somewhere. Most are in AZ.