Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:43 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:36 am From Max's thread...here's my perfect MINI

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1490224
I mean... that is a pretty rad car, but for a "fun car" when you have a new DD, I think :waxer: 's Caymans posted would be a much better choice and probably cheaper to own as well.
I don't know how much cheaper to own it would be. A higher mileage older Porsche is going to require maintenance and who knows what other repair things. IMS would be a concern if trying to sell it later, so there's that too.

I like the idea of something to wrench on, but I have no idea how easy a Cayman is (probably not much), and shop costs would be :fullretard:

A modern MINI seems to be quite a bit more reliable and also easier to work on. Less interesting for sure.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:42 am I also wonder if "purchase pending" is just a way for them to get your email address...let's find out.
Oh wow, this is escalating quickly.

I have a friend who bought through Carvana, seems like a great way to go if they have what you want and the price isn't through the roof. No hassle on the buying end and they have a return policy should it not meet your standards. The friend I have actually purchased a red MINI funny enough.
Nah, I'm just curious if that only pops up when a lot of people are looking at the same car and they use it as a way to collect data to email people incessantly.

We'll see if it becomes "available" again.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:50 am

I mean... that is a pretty rad car, but for a "fun car" when you have a new DD, I think :waxer: 's Caymans posted would be a much better choice and probably cheaper to own as well.
I don't know how much cheaper to own it would be. A higher mileage older Porsche is going to require maintenance and who knows what other repair things. IMS would be a concern if trying to sell it later, so there's that too.

I like the idea of something to wrench on, but I have no idea how easy a Cayman is (probably not much), and shop costs would be :fullretard:

A modern MINI seems to be quite a bit more reliable and also easier to work on. Less interesting for sure.
:notwrong: on all of those things.

I just suspect the floor of a reasonable Cayman is like $15K and the floor of a MINI is like $15. The MINI would certainly ask less of you though, it's a much newer car and the N20 motors are very reliable.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:51 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45 am

Oh wow, this is escalating quickly.

I have a friend who bought through Carvana, seems like a great way to go if they have what you want and the price isn't through the roof. No hassle on the buying end and they have a return policy should it not meet your standards. The friend I have actually purchased a red MINI funny enough.
Nah, I'm just curious if that only pops up when a lot of people are looking at the same car and they use it as a way to collect data to email people incessantly.

We'll see if it becomes "available" again.
:yeahok:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:54 am

I just suspect the floor of a reasonable Cayman is like $15K and the floor of a MINI is like $15. The MINI would certainly ask less of you though, it's a much newer car and the N20 motors are very reliable.
Not the way I'd own a Cayman...I'd do as much maintenance and work myself, which without service records proving you went :waxer: at a decent shop will really tank the value of the car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:54 am

Not the way I'd own a Cayman...I'd do as much maintenance and work myself, which without service records proving you went :waxer: at a decent shop will really tank the value of the car.
I know everyone says this and you've actually experienced it... so not saying it's :bs: exactly, but I think there are enough bros out there like you or me who would buy a $15-20K Cayman just to track/hoon/commute/have fun with that it wouldn't really tank. It might take a bit longer to find that buyer, but there seem to be plenty of regular car guys who just like Porsches because they're great sports cars and not because they are Porsche Douches. Hell, any joe schmoe could probably make $15K back on a Cayman by Turoing it for a couple of years.

I'm sure on the really special models it would become near impossible, but I see Porsches at every track event I do... those cars had to be bought at some point and anyopne taking a paint thickness measure for a car that will go on track is just a fucking dud.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:02 am
I know everyone says this and you've actually experienced it... so not saying it's :bs: exactly, but I think there are enough bros out there like you or me who would buy a $15-20K Cayman just to track/hoon/commute/have fun with that it wouldn't really tank. It might take a bit longer to find that buyer, but there seem to be plenty of regular car guys who just like Porsches because they're great sports cars and not because they are Porsche Douches. Hell, any joe schmoe could probably make $15K back on a Cayman by Turoing it for a couple of years.

I'm sure on the really special models it would become near impossible, but I see Porsches at every track event I do... those cars had to be bought at some point and anyopne taking a paint thickness measure for a car that will go on track is just a fucking dud.
I'd feel this way if I hadn't experienced first hand how hard it was to sell a 951 for $8k. A dude paid $1k to have a shop do a PPI, the shop listed all issues (because he paid them $1k to look it over with a fine tooth comb) but said it was one of the best running and driving 951's they've come across and gave it a clean bill of health. The guy still bailed because of the long list of the things that were "wrong" including a hairline crack in the fan shroud, and a crack in the under body aero shield. For a car I was asking FUCKING EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR

This was :fullretard: California :doe: I wonder if it's better in the midwest and east?
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:dat: id think a sub 30k poorsche customer is a totally different breed from someone looking to score a 1:3 lime green GT3 RS with blowjob to sales manager only, euro seat option
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:15 am

I'd feel this way if I hadn't experienced first hand how hard it was to sell a 951 for $8k. A dude paid $1k to have a shop do a PPI, the shop listed all issues (because he paid them $1k to look it over with a fine tooth comb) but said it was one of the best running and driving 951's they've come across and gave it a clean bill of health. The guy still bailed because of the long list of the things that were "wrong" including a hairline crack in the fan shroud, and a crack in the under body aero shield. For a car I was asking FUCKING EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR

This was :fullretard: California :doe: I wonder if it's better in the midwest and east?
I think you may have gotten a :derp:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Dude, you have the location you used to drop the entire drivetrain from your C5. You can work on a Cayman. You'd likely just need to invest a little into some tools for german things....
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:39 am

Dude, you have the location you used to drop the entire drivetrain from your C5. You can work on a Cayman. You'd likely just need to invest a little into some tools for german things....
Yea it actually doesn’t seem any more difficult to work on than a C5 actually based on all the walk throughs I looked at when I was considering it.

Some things are more tedious but it’s logical and serviceable
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:31 am

How about the guy that actually came with a paint gauge and swore there was rear end damage at some point? Or the dude that came and "would buy it right now if the timing belt was done by a reputable shop" (I did it and had photo evidence and receipts), or the guy that tried the cruise control, found it didn't work and said the car has been neglected?

All for an $8k car with 120k miles on it and 25 years old at the time. That was the hardest car to sell I've ever had because of the idiocy from the Porsche community.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat:

He's mentioned this before, whole lot of :wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:39 am

Dropping the drivetrain in the C5 wasn't as bad as I thought, but still something I'd only need to do once. I honestly don't know enough about Caymans to judge, but if it's constant engine out to do basic stuff, I'm not that interested despite having the resources and ability to do it.

And I still have PTSD from my 951 sale above. I'd totally do the IMS fix and other maintenance myself, but I don't think anyone would believe me.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am

How about the guy that actually came with a paint gauge and swore there was rear end damage at some point? Or the dude that came and "would buy it right now if the timing belt was done by a reputable shop" (I did it and had photo evidence and receipts), or the guy that tried the cruise control, found it didn't work and said the car has been neglected?

All for an $8k car with 120k miles on it and 25 years old at the time. That was the hardest car to sell I've ever had because of the idiocy from the Porsche community.
Interesting. Those are all not terrible issues but seems like they may be issues. That’s annoying :doe: I haven’t sold a car in 7 years now.... so i have no idea how bad it is nowadays.

The toughest car for me to sell was my 370z no one wanted it because “automatic” and you gotta pretend they manual is the answer. It was a real shame, I lost my ass on that car with $3 a Mile depreciation.

Carmax claimed it was in a terrible accident and the entire rear end was repainted because they found “marks” on the hatch bolts, mind you I had the entire car apart in the rear and it was NEW as I was dynamating the entire rear end. It also had 3300 miles on it when I got it... Clean cAr fax and the dealer knew the owner... another car I should have never sold. Real shame

Point being ... used car selling sucks balls because everyone is trying to fuck you and say you have the worst car on the block
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: this sort of just sounds like a typical experience selling a used car to me. People suck. I'm glad :melon: came through with wanting my BMW because that was a legit like-new car and all of the inquiries were trash. I did get some legit seeming people at the end once my :dill: with him was done that supposedly would've actually paid more, but I'm sure had the rubber met the road, they would've been full of :bs:
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:54 am

:iono: this sort of just sounds like a typical experience selling a used car to me. People suck. I'm glad :melon: came through with wanting my BMW because that was a legit like-new car and all of the inquiries were trash. I did get some legit seeming people at the end once my :dill: with him was done that supposedly would've actually paid more, but I'm sure had the rubber met the road, they would've been full of :bs:
Dat, I’d sell to anyone here at discount knowing that there would be no :bs:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:17 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:09 am I'd go boxster over gayman. Top down + that exhaust and intake sound :jizz:

Also, nice....

You're just a 4 and 2 swap away from perfection.
Damn I need to drive more
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:54 am

I guess? I sold other cars with far less hassle...especially sub-$10k cars. Hell, I sold my e30 on ebay, which was a bit of a collector's car that I did a ton of my own work on, and I spoke to the dude maybe once.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 pm Chris: just buy this... cheapest one I can find with a :manuel: on a quick search:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Po ... =272828814

or this one:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Po ... =271976584

Gayman S over Boxster for me.
This to the 5 billionth power.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dammit, Chris. This is all making me want a stupid mid engine Porsche again.

:poorvette: :disappoint:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm Dammit, Chris. This is all making me want a stupid mid engine Porsche again.

The C5 is still probably the better buy TBH.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm Dammit, Chris. This is all making me want a stupid mid engine Porsche again.

Leaving the infield into Nascar turn 1 in the brub > than 250hp coxster
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:18 pm

Leaving the infield into Nascar turn 1 in the brub > than 250hp coxster
:dat:

The C5 is a ton of fun on a track honestly, the wants for something else are just :plac: /the desire for something different. I've had the C5 for six years. :ohwell: it is still pretty fun and kind of nice that I don't really care about it all that much.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don't think I'm doing any more track days at Charlotte this year though, it's sort of a one and done per year track, whereas VIR, CMP, etc. never get old to me.