Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:08 pm I wasn't feeling it a couple of days ago but now I'm thinking it looks pretty dope. I can't wait for more deetz. It's amazing how many sporty cars we are now getting, all of the hot hatch things plus a new one coming from Toyota, the Z and Supra back with the 86 being brought back for gen 2, still have all the American muscle sports cars, plus all of the "sporty crossovers" they're now doing. All in all, not a bad time to be a car guy.
We gotta enjoy it while we can. It is pretty :neat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:05 pm

It kind of does, yeah... I think it's supposed to be a throwback to this:
Looks like an amalgamation of the 240Z and the 300ZX.

:dat:

I kind of forgot about the 300ZX for a minute. Man, I think every gen of the Z car has really looked great. Hopefully they keep it a good car. I still sometimes have the wants for a 370, being old almost makes it cool now.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

370z was a great car
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Bronco launch at 8 PM EST :excited:
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:38 pm Bronco launch at 8 PM EST :excited:
Yea quite curious myself. It is essentially a modern less quirky FJ cruiser. Should ride and accelerate much better than a :wrangler: but I don't see it being as off road capable. Also 0 aftermarket which is kind of a big selling point for the jeeps. It'll take at least 3 years for aftermarket to be even relevant.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:45 pm
Yea quite curious myself. It is essentially a modern less quirky FJ cruiser. Should ride and accelerate much better than a :wrangler: but I don't see it being as off road capable. Also 0 aftermarket which is kind of a big selling point for the jeeps. It'll take at least 3 years for aftermarket to be even relevant.
I don't see why it wouldn't be as capable OUT OF THE BOX.

It will be immensely more difficult to modify for extreme wheeling, whereas a :jeep: can take a 2" lift for $1k and stuff 37's ZFG.

I think the Bronco will be popular with people that don't really do extreme wheeling...the vast majority of people.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:00 pm

It will be immensely more difficult to modify for extreme wheeling, whereas a :jeep: can take a 2" lift for $1k and stuff 37's ZFG.

I think the Bronco will be popular with people that don't really do extreme wheeling...the vast majority of people.
:dat: I'm sure it's extremely capable for what 95% of buyers will ever do. I'd definitely have cross shopped it had it been out. My wife was really attached to the Jeep brand for some reason though, so :iono: She did drive a Fusion for the previous seven years though.
max225

If there was as "vast majority" of people who don't modify this entire aftermarket wouldn't exist. I think Jeep has proven over and over again that it isn't a "normal" vehicle, people do modify them constantly spending billions, not millions, that's really unlike most other vehicles.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:10 pm

If there was as "vast majority" of people who don't modify this entire aftermarket wouldn't exist. I think Jeep has proven over and over again that it isn't a "normal" vehicle, people do modify them constantly spending billions, not millions, that's really unlike most other vehicles.
:jeep: people are :fullretard:
Yes, me being one of them. :lol:
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:04 pm

:dat: I'm sure it's extremely capable for what 95% of buyers will ever do. I'd definitely have cross shopped it had it been out. My wife was really attached to the Jeep brand for some reason though, so :iono: She did drive a Fusion for the previous seven years though.
My woman hates the "ugly OJ truck" and hates the brand... mostly ok with jeeps, other than "they suck to drive". But either way it will be. Jeep is really more of a way of life... it is shocking and refreshing to see that Fraud "copied" the entire formula, but I am really glad it is happening as it will drive competition in the segment.

Also would be great if Toyota got off their ass and their 20 year old powertrain and actually make a decent off roader.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Having an independent front suspension makes it much more appealing to me over the Wrangler.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Having an independent front suspension makes it much more appealing to me over the Wrangler.
FJ cruiser was appealing to me for that very reason. It is a great riding rig.
Apex

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-qapT27KpQc

:lol: well played Jeep. Now remove the “concept” and slap this bish into production.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, it's better for most cases and most people. It's just hard to lift and there is some compromise in articulation.
ChrisoftheNorth

Well, there's different levels of modifying. If you're looking to slap 37"+ tires under a vehicle, the Jeep will be king. But that's not that many people.

Stickers, steps, "rock guards", wheels, grilles, etc are what make the aftermarket go round and what most people do. I'm SURE Ford will be poised to capitalize on that with a robust accessories portfolio. I also wouldn't be surprised if they brought some key aftermarket companies in to get a jump start on development just so there's more available at launch.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:31 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:17 pm Next Nissan Z about to drop?

Rumor is it'll get the 400 HP turbo V6 motor from Infiniti.
Looks like a mustang in the rear
I see a lot of Z32 :iono: rumor is it will be sort of an evolution of that design.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:43 pm

Well, there's different levels of modifying. If you're looking to slap 37"+ tires under a vehicle, the Jeep will be king. But that's not that many people.

Stickers, steps, "rock guards", wheels, grilles, etc are what make the aftermarket go round and what most people do. I'm SURE Ford will be poised to capitalize on that with a robust accessories portfolio. I also wouldn't be surprised if they brought some key aftermarket companies in to get a jump start on development just so there's more available at launch.
Yea... wheels/tires will be the biggest ticket, then light bars, and various lighting accessories, then probably some sort of "protection" crap...
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:05 pm

It kind of does, yeah... I think it's supposed to be a throwback to this:

Unf I love these :datass:
Johnny_P

It’s going to launch with a massive ford performance parts catalog.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm

FJ cruiser was appealing to me for that very reason. It is a great riding rig.
A friend of a friend had a new one back in 06-07. It definitely rode well. Seeing three wiper blades going at once is a bit goofy at first.
Huckleberry

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Unf I love these :datass:
As do I. Never owned one, though.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:03 pm

As did the JL. Most seem to still go aftermarket. lIfT KiTz
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:03 pm

The moran OEM engineers can't do anything right.

Actually, it's the cost that drives people away from OEM. The OEM accessories development cost is way higher than some dudes in a pole barn in Idaho.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:29 pm

Actually, it's the cost that drives people away from OEM. The OEM accessories development cost is way higher than some dudes in a pole barn in Idaho.
:dat:
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:29 pm

OEM accessories also tend to not void the factory warranty.