Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Rumors starting to circle about a 400 HP AWD civic type R for the next gen.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:45 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 am

Ehhh my car was definitely faster on the straights and has a lot more tire, a C5 is a faster car around a track than an R stock for stock, the dude was just a better driver than me.
My point is that upgrades, in tech, or driver make the gap close. Stock for stock my R would definitely be faster than my C5 was. FE1 suspension, floating everywhere and understeering like a big ole :woodplow:
:notwrong: the factory staggered setup was :poop:

275 200tw all around fix that. Track passing generally comes down to the driver. I have passed C8 and GT3 in my shitbox C5 and been passed by plenty of Miatas and Minis.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:58 am Rumors starting to circle about a 400 HP AWD civic type R for the next gen.
A dude last night was in a Veloster N and it was quite :impressive: , especially since he said it was discounted to $26k new. Makes me kinda want.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:58 am Rumors starting to circle about a 400 HP AWD civic type R for the next gen.
A dude last night was in a Veloster N and it was quite :impressive: , especially since he said it was discounted to $26k new. Makes me kinda want.
That’s awesome
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:10 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:45 am

My point is that upgrades, in tech, or driver make the gap close. Stock for stock my R would definitely be faster than my C5 was. FE1 suspension, floating everywhere and understeering like a big ole :woodplow:

275 200tw all around fix that. Track passing generally comes down to the driver. I have passed C8 and GT3 in my shitbox C5 and been passed by plenty of Miatas and Minis.
Yes, just like I can use an expensive camera and take shitty pics as if I was using a phone that was sitting by a deep fryer all day, and a guy with a polaroid can make world class art. It happens.

Anyway... Going to try my oil extractor again today on the JL. The results on the R were pointless, at best since it took way too long to get all the oil out, and it just will not work on the 911 due to the missing dipstick feature and the oil cap line has too many sharp 90 degree turns in close distance to each other in the hose that leads to the engine. If it fails on the JL it's going to go on CL tonight.

It worked on the R, but literally took an hour to get all the oil out. Much quicker to just deal with an oil pan and getting under the car to drain it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:24 am

Yes, just like I can use an expensive camera and take shitty pics as if I was using a phone that was sitting by a deep fryer all day, and a guy with a polaroid can make world class art. It happens.

Anyway... Going to try my oil extractor again today on the JL. The results on the R were pointless, at best since it took way too long to get all the oil out, and it just will not work on the 911 due to the missing dipstick feature and the oil cap line has too many sharp 90 degree turns in close distance to each other in the hose that leads to the engine. If it fails on the JL it's going to go on CL tonight.

It worked on the R, but literally took an hour to get all the oil out. Much quicker to just deal with an oil pan and getting under the car to drain it.
In4 JL results although we still have the free FCA oil changes and it seems like draining would be easy with no jacking/ramps required.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:43 am

In4 JL results although we still have the free FCA oil changes and it seems like draining would be easy with no jacking/ramps required.
Yeah, the JL oil change is stupid easy, just need two sockets, one for the drain plug and one for the filter. I'm really just trying to make an excuse for keeping this big rolling $200 waste of money at this point. I really should just empty it and sell it for whatever I get offered.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Mine fucking broke, I used it about 5/6 times for brake fluid so perhaps it corroded/ate away the seals. I couldn’t get enough vacuum to pull the oil out of the woman’s TSX. And it needed to use the thinnest hose/pipe whatever that came with it because the others wouldn’t fit through the dip stick.

:rage:
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:46 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:34 pm

Dunno... my 2019 R drives great, but refined??? hmmm, the fact that 75% of the "oh shit" handles on the headliner have failed in the first 6 months and were never used doesn't scream refinement.

:lol:

Seriously, 3 of the 4 handles have dropped the pin and spring that keep them suspended, so now they just hang down in your peripheral vision. I had to resort to using VHB tape to hold them up since the warranty replacement will just fail as well due to the crappy plastic on plastic pin that holds the spring in.
Very capable doesn’t necessarily = very fun to me. I actually got passed by a MK7 R on the track in my Corvette yesterday... I was out driven.

For me the interior being just so quiet and everything so buttoned down is a bit boring, which is why I never fell in love with my BMW, the car drove pretty well but lacked excitement to me.
It’s also much easier to drive an R. Which is also
Nearly as fast or as fast as a C5 out of the box. Deadly combo.
Johnny_P

Next Nissan Z about to drop?

Rumor is it'll get the 400 HP turbo V6 motor from Infiniti.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:17 pm Next Nissan Z about to drop?

:popcorn:

I wonder if they’ll retain :manuel:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:46 am

Very capable doesn’t necessarily = very fun to me. I actually got passed by a MK7 R on the track in my Corvette yesterday... I was out driven.

For me the interior being just so quiet and everything so buttoned down is a bit boring, which is why I never fell in love with my BMW, the car drove pretty well but lacked excitement to me.
:iono: the R lap times don’t seem all that :impressive:

The Throttle House bros did a track comparison and the Veloster N/Hype R mopped the floor with the R.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:31 am

Yeah I dunno. I think it looks great. Hopefully does keep the MT option.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:40 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:31 am

Yeah I dunno. I think it looks great. Hopefully does keep the MT option.
If that comes with :ahsteek: and Nissan resists the urge to put in that stupid brake-by-wire setup, I’d be 100% down.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:32 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:45 pm

Or a 2017 Sport. :hubba:
Or :dat:
Sport is basically the same as far as equipment as a 7.5, no?
2017 Sport is essentially the same as the 2019 Rabbit edition. Lighting package, Golf R brakes, fancy e-diff, but no sunroof, :plaid: seats and basically no frills. It’s perfect, IMO. I also happen to know of one for sale. :dillerman:
max225

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:33 am
max225 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:40 pm

:iono: the R lap times don’t seem all that :impressive:

The Throttle House bros did a track comparison and the Veloster N/Hype R mopped the floor with the R.
Kind of irrelevant the point was the C5 compare
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:26 am
wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:32 pm

Or :dat:
Sport is basically the same as far as equipment as a 7.5, no?
2017 Sport is essentially the same as the 2019 Rabbit edition. Lighting package, Golf R brakes, fancy e-diff, but no sunroof, :plaid: seats and basically no frills. It’s perfect, IMO. I also happen to know of one for sale. :dillerman:
When can you come in for a test drive.

Do you have the :poverty: HU too, like my Rabbit?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:jesus:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:09 am
coogles wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:26 am

I think the screen is the same size, but the Sport got the same HU as the SE for that year.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:32 pm
wap wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:09 am

I think the screen is the same size, but the Sport got the same HU as the SE for that year.
:jelly:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

if it comes to the US, this will be the only interesting thing the Nissan has ever offered.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Looks like a mustang in the rear
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:31 am

It kind of does, yeah... I think it's supposed to be a throwback to this:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I wasn't feeling it a couple of days ago but now I'm thinking it looks pretty dope. I can't wait for more deetz. It's amazing how many sporty cars we are now getting, all of the hot hatch things plus a new one coming from Toyota, the Z and Supra back with the 86 being brought back for gen 2, still have all the American muscle sports cars, plus all of the "sporty crossovers" they're now doing. All in all, not a bad time to be a car guy.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:05 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:31 am

It kind of does, yeah... I think it's supposed to be a throwback to this:
Looks like an amalgamation of the 240Z and the 300ZX.