Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:23 pm
Melon wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:50 pm

328i is less fun than a GTI?
:iono: I haven’t driven a GTI in years but stock for stock I think so. Larger than :225: fronts would likely change that.
I remember when I had my mk6, pops and I went to the BMW dealer to get the f10 serviced and gave us a f30 328i luxury loaner, it didn't even took me 30 seconds to conclude that GTI is definitely fun. It might have to go with the suspension setting, but it actually felt boaty and noodly.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I feel like as more of a daily driver with slower speeds that's less likely to take you to slammer, the mk6 GTI wins plain and simple (slow car fast, fun, agile), hell even a miata, but that's 2 different leagues. 328i is more fun because it dynamically is and when you actually send it, definitely more fun on blue ridge, handles like a champ without dealing the wrong wheel drive drama.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:26 pm I think what I’ve discovered is that modern German vehicles are just too refined for me.
Dunno... my 2019 R drives great, but refined??? hmmm, the fact that 75% of the "oh shit" handles on the headliner have failed in the first 6 months and were never used doesn't scream refinement.

:lol:

Seriously, 3 of the 4 handles have dropped the pin and spring that keep them suspended, so now they just hang down in your peripheral vision. I had to resort to using VHB tape to hold them up since the warranty replacement will just fail as well due to the crappy plastic on plastic pin that holds the spring in.
Hah. Once I hit a pothole in my MK6 and one of the chrome trim pieces on the air vent directional tab popped off and landed in the cup holder.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Dunno... my 2019 R drives great, but refined??? hmmm, the fact that 75% of the "oh shit" handles on the headliner have failed in the first 6 months and were never used doesn't scream refinement.

Seriously, 3 of the 4 handles have dropped the pin and spring that keep them suspended, so now they just hang down in your peripheral vision. I had to resort to using VHB tape to hold them up since the warranty replacement will just fail as well due to the crappy plastic on plastic pin that holds the spring in.
Hah. Once I hit a pothole in my MK6 and one of the chrome trim pieces on the air vent directional tab popped off and landed in the cup holder.
coincidentally same thing happened to me on mine, just days before it got totaled, but it happened out of nowhere.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Melon wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:50 pm

328i is less fun than a GTI?
:iono: I haven’t driven a GTI in years but stock for stock I think so. Larger than :225: fronts would likely change that.
The FWD vs RWD aspect of the two makes me favor the BMW. I'd say the GTI had better steering. The BMW is good, don't get me wrong, it's well weighted, but feels about 15% less connected than I'd like. The N20 is a peach of an engine as well. BMW has stiffer suspension and much better brakes. It's also $15k more.
New vs. New at MSRP it's not an easy call.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:26 pm

I remember when I had my mk6, pops and I went to the BMW dealer to get the f10 serviced and gave us a f30 328i luxury loaner, it didn't even took me 30 seconds to conclude that GTI is definitely fun. It might have to go with the suspension setting, but it actually felt boaty and noodly.
Yeah, I can imagine the models without the M-sport suspension are :jalepenis:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:01 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:31 pm

Agreed. The only think it's lacking for me is a better then poverty HU, and the lack of a compass will forever leave me :triggered:
https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/diy/a ... y-vehicle/
:amaze:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:17 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:31 pm

Agreed. The only think it's lacking for me is a better then poverty HU, and the lack of a compass will forever leave me :triggered:
$12. Fixed. :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Auto ... c-EALw_wcB

Or pony up $20 and get one that goes on the air vent.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/kanpas-v ... g5EALw_wcB

mostly kidding, of course. Unless you like it.
:hai: :waxer:
Yea, we've gone down this road here already. :lol:
Haven't seen that vent clip mount one before. That actually has some promise. :lolol:
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:26 pm I think what I’ve discovered is that modern German vehicles are just too refined for me.

:wtf:
Wow. That's never happened in any VW I've owned in the last 36 years.
wap

This made me :lol: for some reason.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:30 pm

The sunroof also used to fly open if I hit a hard enough bump at a fast enough speed on the highway.

That car drove pretty refined when it was working. But it was not at all reliable. Massive piece of shit.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Google returns many threads on mk7 and other forums that this is a super common problem on the newer models.

My two mk6's were pretty solid.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:30 pm

The sunroof also used to fly open if I hit a hard enough bump at a fast enough speed on the highway.

That car drove pretty refined when it was working. But it was not at all reliable. Massive piece of shit.
The shade or the actual glass sunroof itself?
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:35 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Google returns many threads on mk7 and other forums that this is a super common problem on the newer models.

Dang. I'll keep an eye out on mine, but they seem solid so far.
Mine's a '19 so pretty new.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:39 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:35 pm

Me too, 19 R purchased in October 2019.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:38 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 pm

The glass
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:45 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:39 pm

Me too, 19 R purchased in October 2019.
I :member: when you got it. :)
I just got mine in May. My :mk6: was totaled :(
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:46 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:38 pm

The glass
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Very capable doesn’t necessarily = very fun to me. I actually got passed by a MK7 R on the track in my Corvette yesterday... I was out driven.

For me the interior being just so quiet and everything so buttoned down is a bit boring, which is why I never fell in love with my BMW, the car drove pretty well but lacked excitement to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:45 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:26 pm

Yeah, I can imagine the models without the M-sport suspension are :jalepenis:
:dat: the four pot brakes are great as well, without those they’re meh from what I remember on the other one I drove.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:46 am

Very capable doesn’t necessarily = very fun to me. I actually got passed by a MK7 R on the track in my Corvette yesterday... I was out driven.
Doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, I think you have a C5 IIRC.

These cars have a very similar weight and power output. The additional grip of the Haldex system doesn't hurt either. Add a good driver and there are a lot of upset AARP members making excuses about how their car gets them chicks and a VW won't.

:lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:08 am

These cars have a very similar weight and power output. The additional grip of the Haldex system doesn't hurt either. Add a good driver and there are a lot of upset AARP members making excuses about how their car gets them chicks and a VW won't.

Don't think a chick has ever looked twice at my car. AARP members outside working on their lawns or porch sitting? They drop spin their arm above their heads and point me down the road, then presumably pop a boner pill and get after it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Ehhh my car was definitely faster on the straights and has a lot more tire, a C5 is a faster car around a track than an R stock for stock, the dude was just a better driver than me.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:19 am

Don't think a chick has ever looked twice at my car. AARP members outside working on their lawns or porch sitting? They drop spin their arm above their heads and point me down the road, then presumably pop a boner pill and get after it.
Sorry, that was an old callback to a story that I posted about here that I'm sure nobody remembers.

When I was younger, in late 1994/early 1995 I had a new 1995 Camaro Z28 and went to a 7-11 for something to drink with my best friend. As we are about to get in my car, a fat dude in a C4 Corvette pulls up and gets out in some ratty sweat pants and a leather jacket and compliments me on my car, and in the same breath insults it (or him) "Nice car.... but my car gets me laid!". I was actually kind of surprised and had nothing to say, but my friend didn't hesitate to reply that "Wow, it must suck needing to rely on a car to get chicks!".

The guy was pretty pissed and went into the store and we drive away laughing. From then on, even after the next year when my best friend bought a '96 LT4, we would joke about how Corvettes get you chicks.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 am

Ehhh my car was definitely faster on the straights and has a lot more tire, a C5 is a faster car around a track than an R stock for stock, the dude was just a better driver than me.
My point is that upgrades, in tech, or driver make the gap close. Stock for stock my R would definitely be faster than my C5 was. FE1 suspension, floating everywhere and understeering like a big ole :woodplow: