Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:29 pm I am torn. I would love to see just like... a good NA motor. But then, I also would love to see a power number respectable enough to make me OK with moving away from the 'vette.

This thing and the Broncbro are certainly what I'm most :excited: about at the moment though. I could see actually buying the 86 though, Broncbro ain't happening.
I think turbos are fun, especially the old ones with a massive boost hit.

I am glad to see some stuff coming out that we can be excited about! I’m real curious to see what the Bronco is like and what price points they hit.
I would like to drive a base 718 con :manuel:

It got panned in the magazines for major turbo lag and being "slow" because you lose boost between shifts. Sounds like it could be fun as hell.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:45 pm
Apex wrote:

I am glad to see some stuff coming out that we can be excited about! I’m real curious to see what the Bronco is like and what price points they hit.

It got panned in the magazines for major turbo lag and being "slow" because you lose boost between shifts. Sounds like it could be fun as hell.
Oh man that sounds like it would be a fun drive!
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:29 pm

I am torn. I would love to see just like... a good NA motor. But then, I also would love to see a power number respectable enough to make me OK with moving away from the 'vette.

This thing and the Broncbro are certainly what I'm most :excited: about at the moment though. I could see actually buying the 86 though, Broncbro ain't happening.

Local guy offered me a turbo kit for the M20 engine.
Could have like 250 RWHP in the E30, but I don't want all that 80's turbo shit, and I'd have to lose the A/C.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote:

Like the F40, never lift.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:45 pm I would like to drive a base 718 con :manuel:

:plaid:

Maybe on a lease...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:00 pm
Melon wrote:
:plaid:

Maybe on a lease...
I think it's time to ditch the purple...

...for RED

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:57 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:31 pm

Could have like 250 RWHP in the E30, but I don't want all that 80's turbo shit, and I'd have to lose the A/C.
Did he say what kit it was?
And losing AC is a big ol :nope:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:02 pm

It is in Baton Rouge.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote:

:dat:

I just want something with a little excitement. The N20 in my BMW was a really smooth, powerful motor but just not much fizz to it. I think modern German cars are just too refined and surgical for me - they work well but I need some drama in my cars to have fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:01 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:00 pm :plaid:

Maybe on a lease...
I think it's time to ditch the purple...

...for RED

:wub: :jizz:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:02 pm

I don't think there is a specific "kit" it's a turbo, manifold, ARP studs, injectors and ECU. It's all one needs, other than maybe a stoich gauge.
The E30 has a fuel pump that can handle it, and all new fuel lines rated for high pressure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:16 pm Image
:jimp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 am Hello I am here for the :math: :science:
I did the :math: on the T-reg, looking at resale value (estimated in 5 yrs) of a 9yr old average price vs a 5yr old average Rav4 and it looks like the T-reg and Rav are the same price. I have the luxury of paying an extra 7-10k to watch the Rav depreciate like a champion, easy win: T-reg.

I also really say down with Nicole to see what she wants to do and what she really hopes to see happen and how much did she like driving the Rav vs her T-reg... she doesn't like the old head unit but everything else is 5/7. Win: T-reg.

So it's a no brainer to keep the T-reg. I need to find out when the buy out is and start that process. There is a small patch of rust on the tailgate that I started a claim process on with VW but they can't tell me if it will be approved or not so I will roll the dice, and if they don't handle it on their own I'll get it fixed before the start of winter. I'll probably rustproof the thing yearly as well.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:32 pm
razr390 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 am Hello I am here for the :math: :science:
I did the :math: on the T-reg, looking at resale value (estimated in 5 yrs) of a 9yr old average price vs a 5yr old average Rav4 and it looks like the T-reg and Rav are the same price. I have the luxury of paying an extra 7-10k to watch the Rav depreciate like a champion, easy win: T-reg.

I also really say down with Nicole to see what she wants to do and what she really hopes to see happen and how much did she like driving the Rav vs her T-reg... she doesn't like the old head unit but everything else is 5/7. Win: T-reg.

So it's a no brainer to keep the T-reg. I need to find out when the buy out is and start that process. There is a small patch of rust on the tailgate that I started a claim process on with VW but they can't tell me if it will be approved or not so I will roll the dice, and if they don't handle it on their own I'll get it fixed before the start of winter. I'll probably rustproof the thing yearly as well.
Re: rust patch, I’d see if you can get VW or the dealer to fix it as part of the buyout process. Be like look I want to buy it out but this rust patch makes me :notsure:

If you help me on fixing it I’d be more than happy to go through with the buyout.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Corolla Cross

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:nice:

Sounds like it ultimately came down to what she prefers which makes sense but glad it also makes cents. I personally prefer the VDub so :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:41 pm Corolla Cross

Is that a new Rav4? I can't even tell all these crossovers apart anymore but... meh. Looks ugly.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:41 pm Corolla Cross

:gay:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Good call. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm

I'm happy with how things are panning out on the car front. Thanks for your advice and suggestions with it! It's been good brainstorming sesh
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:20 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm

I'm happy with how things are panning out on the car front. Thanks for your advice and suggestions with it! It's been good brainstorming sesh
DFD bros are a great collective resource for sure :like:
I got a lot of good help here when my :mk6: got totaled and when I was shopping for the Blue Meanie
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:00 pm

:nice:

Sounds like it ultimately came down to what she prefers which makes sense but glad it also makes cents. I personally prefer the VDub so :like:
Yep, thanks bro. Your input is always greatly valued! :dat: :scrooge: :club: , in all fairness I'm financially stretched after recent real estate shit and finally feel confident that we have the traction we need to live responsibly (I.e. start putting a small amount of money away each month), so every financial decision needs to be conservative. Watching the rav lose as much or more value as my already depreciated T-reg over a 5yr term is the icing on the cake in my mind.

I drove it back from the dealership today for a follow up to yesterday's service and had a great convo about the T-reg with the SA dude. He's all about the truck, likes it way more then the Atlas and Tig which come with the 2.0T vs the 3.6V6 and says that there is a notable difference in quality of parts since they are mainly shared with the porsche of that vintage. A dude came in for service last week with his T-reg that has the same V6 motor and has 350k miles on his with nothing more then consumables and regular maintenance :impressive:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:31 pm

I got a lot of good help here when my :mk6: got totaled and when I was shopping for the Blue Meanie
:dat: :wub:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:31 pm

I you would have listened to it you would be driving a BMW 550i manual with a tune.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.