Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:46 pm
Top off all the time, heavy wheeling and probably frequently dirty...I doubt a Bronco will be any better in durability in those conditions.

I don't think the Bronco will kill the Wrangler, if anything it'll make it better because Jeep is on notice with the first real competitor in...ever?

:popcorn:
No way it kills it, but unless it's awful, it'll take some portion of the market share. That said, competition is good, it's :neat: to have two such vehicles available.
It has to take market share because right now, it's a vehicle of 1 in the segment. The question is how much volume it takes. If it's a lot, Jeep will do some excellent things.

OR, it could just grow the segment by bringing more people in while other continue to buy Jeeps because #jeeplyfe My wife thinks the Bronco is a "stupid Jeep poser wannabe for bitches who can't afford a real Jeep"...it'll end up being the typical Mustang vs Camaro or F-150 vs Ram or whatever brand loyalty thing.

I'm super :popcorn: for it all.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:54 pm

No way it kills it, but unless it's awful, it'll take some portion of the market share. That said, competition is good, it's :neat: to have two such vehicles available.
It has to take market share because right now, it's a vehicle of 1 in the segment. The question is how much volume it takes. If it's a lot, Jeep will do some excellent things.

OR, it could just grow the segment by bringing more people in while other continue to buy Jeeps because #jeeplyfe My wife thinks the Bronco is a "stupid Jeep poser wannabe for bitches who can't afford a real Jeep"...it'll end up being the typical Mustang vs Camaro or F-150 vs Ram or whatever brand loyalty thing.

392 Wrangler Alpha. Kthnxbra.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Careful what you wish for...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Same, but the market is only so big IMO. I have no idea what sales projections they are working with, the buddy I went wheeling with is putting his $100 down on the Bronco. :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Same, but the market is only so big IMO. I have no idea what sales projections they are working with, the buddy I went wheeling with is putting his $100 down on the Bronco. :popcorn:
:ohdang:

Selling the JL for a Bronco? Lifts will be way more expensive and complicated...I'm not sure a Bronco will be right for people who go full blown modzzZ

This will indeed test the size of the market for this type of vehicle.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:21 pm

Selling the JL for a Bronco? Lifts will be way more expensive and complicated...I'm not sure a Bronco will be right for people who go full blown modzzZ

He said he “likes what he sees so far, going to put the $100 down and go from there”. He is more keen on pulling the trigger than I.
I think his :manuel: idea is :fullretard: I don’t think he knew what he got himself into until that point. But he learned a shit ton over the last 2 years fully modifying two rigs.

He is going auto, this time around.

I wonder how the bronco will take to the abuse. Honestly the Jeep is amazingly resilient. No idea how a vehicle with IFS will do, I prefer ifs but I won’t deny that it will likely be less durable.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:21 pm

He said he “likes what he sees so far, going to put the $100 down and go from there”. He is more keen on pulling the trigger than I.
I think his :manuel: idea is :fullretard: I don’t think he knew what he got himself into until that point. But he learned a shit ton over the last 2 years fully modifying two rigs.

He is going auto, this time around.

I wonder how the bronco will take to the abuse. Honestly the Jeep is amazingly resilient. No idea how a vehicle with IFS will do, I prefer ifs but I won’t deny that it will likely be less durable.
Tie rods and CV joints are the weak points of IFS for durability, so curious to see what they do there.

I'm really curious about the Bronco :manuel: with it's crawler gear. That could be the best of all worlds...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Careful what you wish for...
:like:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:12 pm I probably wouldn’t take them up on the off brodeo experience unless it was close by.

That’s cool though.

Those interior shots seem decent enough. Lots of plastic. But not unlike an F150. Wonder if the seats will collapse in 1 year of driving like they do in their trucks.
Honestly my buddys wrangler showed major wear after 2 years and 30k miles... But it is what it is, it's a car it will be a pile of rubble in 10 years. So :whocares:
All of our F150s at the plant were reduced to scrap value in under 2 years. The most surprising aspect were the seats though. There were a lot of fat guys at the plant but the damn seats would basically collapse on all the trucks in no time. Foam was completely compressed, side bolsters reduced to flabby cloth bits, and just no support at all. They were all like this.

The engines aside from the base V6 were always awesome though.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Jesus Christ.

Ford are now advertising their “return plan”. Lose your job within the first 12 months after buying a car on 0%/72mos, and you can straight up return the car.

:thisisfine:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:37 pm Jesus Christ.

Ford are now advertising their “return plan”. Lose your job within the first 12 months after buying a car on 0%/72mos, and you can straight up return the car.

Bronco here I come!
#baddecisions :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

Yes yes, and what if I don't have a job to begin with? I can take the truck and just not pay amirite? I get a discount too?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:41 pm

Yes yes, and what if I don't have a job to begin with? I can take the truck and just not pay amirite? I get a discount too?
I believe that you instantly qualify for the pay deferral and can get it at employee pricing, it's a win-win.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:iono: it is certainly growing, this COVID shit only makes people want such things way more. Impending apocalypse, the desire to "get out" after being stuck at home. It doesn't matter if anyone actually does these things but we are all loving the idea of it. This was really what inspired the Wrangler want for my wife who drove nothing but practical sedans for the previous 15 years.

It is wild here, we have this huge facility called the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, it was built as an olympic training facility. THere is a large man-made rafting river, ropes courses, 50 miles of MTB trails, craft beer/live music etc. Obviously the music and shit is shut down now but I've never seen the trails so full of :derp: out on a mountain bike for their first time ever.

I won't be at all surprised if the Bronco does really well and the Wrangler doesn't even take a huge hit, it will just drive feature/price competition in what is now a "segment" rather than just one vehicle.

Bronco is a good brand and they are marketing it well, but Jeep really takes the cake with branding, it's probably even better than Apple.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:28 pm

Well, my timing was off...
Everyone is expecting an upward trajectory/normalization. The jobs damage is mainly already done, at least in the mind of Ford execs. I kind of agree from what I'm seeing here. People are retarded, I wouldn't stick my neck out like that and believe the blue oval crew are desperate.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:14 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:45 pm

Everyone is expecting an upward trajectory/normalization. The jobs damage is mainly already done, at least in the mind of Ford execs. I kind of agree from what I'm seeing here. People are retarded, I wouldn't stick my neck out like that and believe the blue oval crew are desperate.
Maybe in Canada.

It’s a royal dumpster fire here in the US.
Here and like much of Europe, Japan, etc. Our numbers are looking really good right now but opening the border is a big point of controversy among citizens and political leaders alike. We know that the numbers are bad there but the lockdown is ending... or is it? I can't imagine myself personally or most small businesses surviving another March-June like shutdown. :sad:
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:45 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:28 pm

Well, my timing was off...
Didn’t other car companies do the same thing back in the recession? I vaguely remember H/K?? doing this in 2009 ish era.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hello I am here for the :math: :science:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex

razr390 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 am Hello I am here for the :math: :science:
Streets closed, pizza boy.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:03 am Topic cleaned up. Politics in proper threads please. Fake COVID info (use MY judgement) will result in bans as it's a life safety issue.

Back to cars.
:sass:
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:03 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 am Hello I am here for the :math: :science:
Streets closed, pizza boy.
:sad:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh wow.

In4 car shit.

I keep reading articles saying the GR86 will have a turbo and others that it won't. I am quite :excited: for further details on this.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:08 pm Oh wow.

In4 car shit.

I keep reading articles saying the GR86 will have a turbo and others that it won't. I am quite :excited: for further details on this.
BoostEverything!! :fuckyeah:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:08 pm Oh wow.

In4 car shit.

I am torn. I would love to see just like... a good NA motor. But then, I also would love to see a power number respectable enough to make me OK with moving away from the 'vette.

This thing and the Broncbro are certainly what I'm most :excited: about at the moment though. I could see actually buying the 86 though, Broncbro ain't happening.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:29 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm

I am torn. I would love to see just like... a good NA motor. But then, I also would love to see a power number respectable enough to make me OK with moving away from the 'vette.

This thing and the Broncbro are certainly what I'm most :excited: about at the moment though. I could see actually buying the 86 though, Broncbro ain't happening.
I think turbos are fun, especially the old ones with a massive boost hit.

I am glad to see some stuff coming out that we can be excited about! I’m real curious to see what the Bronco is like and what price points they hit.