Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:46 am

Hmm you're saying the Hell"etc" products are a result of dumb luck?
Absolutely. The original business case was approved by a hair with volume nowhere near close to what materialized. It was supposed to be just one model year too.

It was the last original thought the company had, and even then it wasn't revolutionary.
Interesting, but also not surprising. It has since turned into a whole "brand" of "hell" line up.. seems like a huge success. Sometimes those things are not fully visible in meetings, point is... There is nothing from anyone else at the price points :doge: is hitting. And y'all own the market.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:12 pm
Absolutely. The original business case was approved by a hair with volume nowhere near close to what materialized. It was supposed to be just one model year too.

It was the last original thought the company had, and even then it wasn't revolutionary.
Interesting, but also not surprising. It has since turned into a whole "brand" of "hell" line up.. seems like a huge success. Sometimes those things are not fully visible in meetings, point is... There is nothing from anyone else at the price points :doge: is hitting. And y'all own the market.
Kind of?

Camaro ZL1 is comparable, as is the Mustang GT500...last I checked those were similar pricing.

The low end is certainly owned by :doge: but that's because the company is too unimaginative/cheap to come up with something new.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:14 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Kind of?

Camaro ZL1 is comparable, as is the Mustang GT500...last I checked those were similar pricing.

The low end is certainly owned by :doge: but that's because the company is too unimaginative/cheap to come up with something new.
Charger...
Challenger ...
JGC...
Durango...

All have epic V8s in NA and super charged trim. mustang only addresses, chally, and until this last year didn't have a solid response. And no one cares about the camero :lol: they been behind since 2002 got retired.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:14 pm
Kind of?

Charger...
Challenger ...
JGC...
Durango...

All have epic V8s in NA and super charged trim. mustang only addresses, chally, and until this last year didn't have a solid response. And no one cares about the camero :lol: they been behind since 2002 got retired.
JGC and Durango was/is also dumb luck. The MB platform was chosen as a cost savings move from Daimler to allow for flex manufacturing of the MB GL class in Alabama and Detroit. Obviously that didn't materialize, but the JGC and Durango stayed. It just so happened that they could take V8s because of the premium RWD platform.

Neither has been updated in ages, and they both keep selling because they look good and are the cheapest things in their segments.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:46 am

Hmm you're saying the Hell"etc" products are a result of dumb luck?

Call it what you will. No one else had the :balls: to o it, and everyone thinks it's fucking cool. It's like the Corvette. Of every car I've owned, all has some subset of people who hate it, but the Corvette.

328i - many like but many think it's a douche banker car
Miata - :gay: literally every time I drove that thing with another dude, some douche bags in a Tacoma would yell "faggots" at us
Civic - ricer, people think they're lame
Corvette - children, young guys, old guys, black guys, white guys, most everybody thinks they're :neat: The same can be said for a Hellcat. This is a rare status to achieve, for example, Mustangs and Camaros are polarizing and are loved by many but also hated by many.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:21 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:17 pm
Charger...
Challenger ...
JGC...
Durango...

JGC and Durango was/is also dumb luck. The MB platform was chosen as a cost savings move from Daimler to allow for flex manufacturing of the MB GL class in Alabama and Detroit. Obviously that didn't materialize, but the JGC and Durango stayed. It just so happened that they could take V8s because of the premium RWD platform.

Neither has been updated in ages, and they both keep selling because they look good and are the cheapest things in their segments.
Yep on the long tooth for sure. But still better than the garbage that is being put out by fraud and chubby
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:23 pm

Call it what you will. No one else had the :balls: to o it, and everyone thinks it's fucking cool. It's like the Corvette. Of every car I've owned, all has some subset of people who hate it, but the Corvette.

Miata - :gay: literally every time I drove that thing with another dude, some douche bags in a Tacoma would yell "faggots" at us
Corvette - children, young guys, old guys, black guys, white guys, most everybody thinks they're :neat: The same can be said for a Hellcat. This is a rare status to achieve, for example, Mustangs and Camaros are polarizing and are loved by many but also hated by many.
Yep, agreed except for the mustang/camero piece, they are identical demographics here, the chally has a wider line up it seems ... Man that's some strong words for :taco: lovers. :hubba:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:23 pm

Yep, agreed except for the mustang/camero piece, they are identical demographics here, the chally has a wider line up it seems ... Man that's some strong words for :taco: lovers. :hubba:
:word:

I feel like Mustangs and Camaros are like China vs. the US and Chally is Canada, everyone thinks they're cool.
max225

We got a shit ton of 5.slows with fucking no mufflers or whatever shit they throw on these now. They are all LOUD AF, and honestly its killing the V8 noises for me because now I am associating the m with drug dealers. Shit my neighbor got a corsa piped SS mero and I hate that fucker, I can hear it from my room every time he starts it up... That's behind 2 doors and a garage.
max225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Crn65YEmWQ

This sums up every car that may be good but has been ruined...
G8s
CTSs
Infinitis
5.slows
Meros
Wettes C5, C6 and C7
Short bed V8 trucks, single cabs

Can't do it because of people like that.
Last edited by max225 on Tue May 12, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:39 pm That 6.4 sound

https://video-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39 ... e=5EE1D492
Yep... except I hear this 10 times a day :yikes: even from inside my house.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That's honestly part of why Im undecided on headers for my car. I respect my neighbors and understand that I leave for work at 5am
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:35 pm We got a shit ton of 5.slows with fucking no mufflers or whatever shit they throw on these now. They are all LOUD AF, and honestly its killing the V8 noises for me because now I am associating the m with drug dealers. Shit my neighbor got a corsa piped SS mero and I hate that fucker, I can hear it from my room every time he starts it up... That's behind 2 doors and a garage.
We get the same here, but it's all Challengers with :mahtroy: driving like complete asshats. The association is real and :disgust:

Especially where we live, we're right by a major boulevard that's popular for illegal :stig: and have a highway on-ramp that's the same. The loud ass bikes and cars get OLD.

And I like driving a loud V8 car...I'm just kind of over it at this point for some reason. I think others have ruined it because it's so :disgust: and commonplace.

I'd still love a purple widebody :manuel: :doe:
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:54 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:35 pm We got a shit ton of 5.slows with fucking no mufflers or whatever shit they throw on these now. They are all LOUD AF, and honestly its killing the V8 noises for me because now I am associating the m with drug dealers. Shit my neighbor got a corsa piped SS mero and I hate that fucker, I can hear it from my room every time he starts it up... That's behind 2 doors and a garage.
We get the same here, but it's all Challengers with :mahtroy: driving like complete asshats. The association is real and :disgust:

Especially where we live, we're right by a major boulevard that's popular for illegal :stig: and have a highway on-ramp that's the same. The loud ass bikes and cars get OLD.

And I like driving a loud V8 car...I'm just kind of over it at this point for some reason. I think others have ruined it because it's so :disgust: and commonplace.

I'd still love a purple widebody :manuel: :doe:
Summed up how I Feel
100% :mahtroy: brotha from a Detroit motha
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:47 pm That's honestly part of why Im undecided on headers for my car. I respect my neighbors and understand that I leave for work at 5am
Headers with BROlas will likely be too much. Don't underestimate how loud headers are.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:12 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:47 pm That's honestly part of why Im undecided on headers for my car. I respect my neighbors and understand that I leave for work at 5am
Headers with BROlas will likely be too much. Don't underestimate how loud headers are.
The Brolas set off car alarms already .... I can’t imagine pairing it with headers for GAINz
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Wow. You guys are super concerned about image. Not every 6.2 chally is straight piped setting off car alarms.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:Wow. You guys are super concerned about image. Not every 6.2 chally is straight piped setting off car alarms.
:dat:

I'm the illest drifter on the block. :whocares:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:12 pm
The Brolas set off car alarms already .... I can’t imagine pairing it with headers for GAINz
Did you have stingahs like Griff?

I have full muffler BROlas. They're way quieter than the active exhaust on the new Maro, Stang, and challenger.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:20 pm Wow. You guys are super concerned about image. Not every 6.2 chally is straight piped setting off car alarms.
I'm not concerned about image as much as insurance rates. Any Challenger in my area will be :fullretard: to insure I'm afraid.

The image I am conscious more of recently is loud exhaust like Max said. I just don't want to be associated with that. But a clean, stock Scat Pack Widebody in purple would be fine by me. :megusta:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:24 pm

:word:

I feel like Mustangs and Camaros are like China vs. the US and Chally is Canada, everyone thinks they're cool.
I dislike the Chally :wrong:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Heard a Corsa piped ZL1 the other day. phew lawd. Obscenely loud, but the novelty of it made me giggle. I'd be pissed if he was my neighbor.\

edit: I'm sure my neighbors hated the obscenely loud KTM as much as :melon: receiving full braps with his window down. So I'm not exempt from loud thing criticism, but the bike ran like shit with the dB killer installed.
Last edited by 4zilch on Tue May 12, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

4zilch wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:48 pm
Heard a Corsa piped ZL1 the other day. phew lawd. Obscenely loud, but the novelty of it made me giggle. I'd be pissed if he was my neighbor.
Exactly. It’s fun when you do it once a week, but when you hear that shit 10x a day the novelty wears of. Just like Harleys