2020 :plac: life!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:58 pm

I would love to see that. I guess nothing about a mid-engine platform would be inherently more expensive than a dedicated thing like the 86.

But seeing even the 2.0 Supra coming in at > $40K and the 400Z looking the same... I'm skeptical. I do feel like Toyota or Hyundai just maybe would :doit: based on what they've put out in recent years.

The reality is, I'm much more likely to wind up as a Veloster N or GR Corolla buyer.
Biggest issue with a mid engine layout is it really restricts how much parts sharing you can capitalize on between vehicles/platforms. Volume is critical to make a business case for something like that, and the market for a 2 seat mid engine thing is super limited for obvious reasons. But Hyundai seems to be doing a lot of bold moves lately that are working out for them...they're making money hand over fist, and as they keep touting the N-line, the ultimate mic drop would be an affordable mid engine car. Even if it's just an attainable "halo"...the positive press would be insane and could make up for the lack of strong income opportunity.
I imagine Hyundai would be doing a transverse mid-engine setup versus a longitudinal one, which should allow for their current powertrains to essentially drop into place. Obviously things like the exhaust and coolant lines would need to be specific to the chassis.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:01 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 am

Don't. Do. It.
:thankyou:

I don’t understand that move at all, been arguing against for a while. Fled's switch from a truck to one due to the long commute makes some sense but otherwise :hellno:
Also his GF drives a Jetta anyway, one bland car in the household is already enough imo. If they go somewhere together, let the GTI sit. But if he gets the charger rt or 392, then i'd hell yeah for that.

I know rudy will probably hate it, the front end dives a lot when you brake.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:01 pm

:thankyou:

I don’t understand that move at all, been arguing against for a while. Fled's switch from a truck to one due to the long commute makes some sense but otherwise :hellno:
Also his GF drives a Jetta anyway, one bland car in the household is already enough imo. If they go somewhere together, let the GTI sit. But if he gets the charger rt or 392, then i'd hell yeah for that.

I know rudy will probably hate it, the front end dives a lot when you brake.
I understand being :scrooge: but buying a new car will be more than just keeping the GTI, so you end up with a shit car for the same/more money... the GTI is also already pretty darn efficient so I just don't see :butwhy:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:11 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm
Biggest issue with a mid engine layout is it really restricts how much parts sharing you can capitalize on between vehicles/platforms. Volume is critical to make a business case for something like that, and the market for a 2 seat mid engine thing is super limited for obvious reasons. But Hyundai seems to be doing a lot of bold moves lately that are working out for them...they're making money hand over fist, and as they keep touting the N-line, the ultimate mic drop would be an affordable mid engine car. Even if it's just an attainable "halo"...the positive press would be insane and could make up for the lack of strong income opportunity.
I imagine Hyundai would be doing a transverse mid-engine setup versus a longitudinal one, which should allow for their current powertrains to essentially drop into place. Obviously things like the exhaust and coolant lines would need to be specific to the chassis.
Well, aside from the powertrain, there's unique front and rear suspension (unless the rear borrows a lot from the FWD vehicle the engine is coming from, which maybe?), unique crossmembers, floorpans, etc, etc. There's just not a ton of sharing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.