2020 :plac: life!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:17 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:13 am
Every time I go down the path of "saving money", I end up spending about the same in the long run.

If I let it go, I'd swap to the cheapest Wrangler 2-door lease I can get...~$350/mo all-in then supplement with a :truk: of some sort. This will just perpetuate the :plac: cycle, and "cheap" trucks don't really exist much anymore. Stupid when the JT does everything I want in a single vehicle.

And since cheap trucks don't really exist anymore, the JT should hold its value pretty well. If the stock market ever reflects reality, it would probably be a safer place to park cash even.

:math: :derp: :yeahok:
This was how I justified blowing $40K on a :jeep: It was the only "family" vehicle that we both were excited about, so cool. But it's a lot of cash. That said, looking at used pricing, it seems fairly low risk. I figure, worst case, if we are over it after a few years or want to save money, it should still be worth 75% after 50K+miles. Not great, not terrible. It cost about $10K in depreciation to drive a used Fusion 130K miles... The same price got me 40K miles in a new :mk6: . I think That will get us at least 75K miles in a :jeep: I am OK with this.
Welllllll this is the problem. We already blew $40k on the JL, for similar reasons...we both really like it. :tits: is full blown :triggered: about selling it because it's her "favorite vehicle ever" and she wants to "drive it until the doors and wheels fall off" (to which I :lolol: about the doors, they come off easily).

Having two $40k vehicles with similar purpose seems :fullretard: But on the flip, if they actually stay around for a while and hold their value, it doesn't really matter a whole lot. Probably better then re-entering the never ending :plac: cycle. Gah.

Then there's the issue of even needing two vehicles in the first place. Hers still has less than 5k miles on it, I'm not going back to the office for the "foreseeable future" and she isn't even working...so two vehicles seems like even more of a waste.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:17 am

This was how I justified blowing $40K on a :jeep: It was the only "family" vehicle that we both were excited about, so cool. But it's a lot of cash. That said, looking at used pricing, it seems fairly low risk. I figure, worst case, if we are over it after a few years or want to save money, it should still be worth 75% after 50K+miles. Not great, not terrible. It cost about $10K in depreciation to drive a used Fusion 130K miles... The same price got me 40K miles in a new :mk6: . I think That will get us at least 75K miles in a :jeep: I am OK with this.
Welllllll this is the problem. We already blew $40k on the JL, for similar reasons...we both really like it. :tits: is full blown :triggered: about selling it because it's her "favorite vehicle ever" and she wants to "drive it until the doors and wheels fall off" (to which I :lolol: about the doors, they come off easily).

Having two $40k vehicles with similar purpose seems :fullretard: But on the flip, if they actually stay around for a while and hold their value, it doesn't really matter a whole lot. Probably better then re-entering the never ending :plac: cycle. Gah.

Then there's the issue of even needing two vehicles in the first place. Hers still has less than 5k miles on it, I'm not going back to the office for the "foreseeable future" and she isn't even working...so two vehicles seems like even more of a waste.
This is why we dropped down from three. Like yesterday, I was meeting Cale to grab four tires so I needed the :jeep:

Not a problem, we were both at home.

She is actually going back to in-person work starting part time next week and full time in August, so I will be "stuck with" only the C5 on weekdays, but I rarely drive anywhere anyway and with all seasons at my disposal, it's not really much of an issue.

I am driving to New England in May, I would prefer the Jeep then over the Corvette or my buddy's FR-S (he's coming with me) but overall it's NBD and there is certainly a nice time and money savings in having fewer vehicles.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:04 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 am

This is why we dropped down from three. Like yesterday, I was meeting Cale to grab four tires so I needed the :jeep:

She is actually going back to in-person work starting part time next week and full time in August, so I will be "stuck with" only the C5 on weekdays, but I rarely drive anywhere anyway and with all seasons at my disposal, it's not really much of an issue.

I am driving to New England in May, I would prefer the Jeep then over the Corvette or my buddy's FR-S (he's coming with me) but overall it's NBD and there is certainly a nice time and money savings in having fewer vehicles.
That's just it...multiple cars just aren't that critical right now. It's just hard to say how long that will last.

We could probably make due with the JL and a cheap truck for :pinshit: stuff and done.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:08 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:04 am

That's just it...multiple cars just aren't that critical right now. It's just hard to say how long that will last.

We could probably make due with the JL and a cheap truck for :pinshit: stuff and done.
You could, but you'll most certainly end up wanting something else within a year's time. "Cheap truck" is either ~$10K for a 100K mile full sizer in work-spec that will run fine but be uninspiring, $15K for a fun but used up 150k mile :manuel: Tacoma, or some such thing, kind of a losing proposition. Eventually you'll be going places again and will want a decent car.

It depends on how much y'all do together versus individually outside of work too. My wife and I both go on friend trips, she goes out to eat and shit all the time with girls, I go mountain biking, to track events, etc. I can't see one car really working unless we were both willing to compromise a lot.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:13 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:08 am

You could, but you'll most certainly end up wanting something else within a year's time. "Cheap truck" is either ~$10K for a 100K mile full sizer in work-spec that will run fine but be uninspiring, $15K for a fun but used up 150k mile :manuel: Tacoma, or some such thing, kind of a losing proposition. Eventually you'll be going places again and will want a decent car.

It depends on how much y'all do together versus individually outside of work too. My wife and I both go on friend trips, she goes out to eat and shit all the time with girls, I go mountain biking, to track events, etc. I can't see one car really working unless we were both willing to compromise a lot.
We don't do a whole lot separately TBH. Kind of sad, but is what it is...part of moving to a new area where neither of us knew anyone...we developed activities and friends together mostly.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I think I really need to consider offing my car and going to a single car household for a bit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:20 am I think I really need to consider offing my car and going to a single car household for a bit.
If one car is always sitting, then what's the point of two?

That's my debate.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:22 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:20 am I think I really need to consider offing my car and going to a single car household for a bit.

That's my debate.
I've used my car about 6 times in the last 4 months.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:22 am

That's my debate.
That's what I should have done but I'm fucking retarded.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:hue:

I wish I was in a spot to buy it, but making quite a bit less than last year and with minimal need, I'm just not. I would need to sell the :poorvette: to justify, which I'm not ready for just yet.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:25 am

I wish I was in a spot to buy it, but making quite a bit less than last year and with minimal need, I'm just not. I would need to sell the :poorvette: to justify, which I'm not ready for just yet.
I think if you sold the vette and went to this.... you'd likely regret it. The STI can be a track car but it doesn't have the speed or grip of the vette.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:25 am

I think if you sold the vette and went to this.... you'd likely regret it. The STI can be a track car but it doesn't have the speed or grip of the vette.
:dat: I think it would be more along the lines of a car to get if we were having a :baby: and it would be a DD that sees the track a couple of times/year. For my current needs, the C5 fits the bill pretty nicely, that's why I've had it so damn long.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 am

:dat: I think it would be more along the lines of a car to get if we were having a :baby: and it would be a DD that sees the track a couple of times/year. For my current needs, the C5 fits the bill pretty nicely, that's why I've had it so damn long.
It is also impossible to replace the performance/cost aspect of the vette. Which is why I had mine for 7 years also
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:47 am

It is also impossible to replace the performance/cost aspect of the vette. Which is why I had mine for 7 years also
:dat:

Most of the other things I would find as "fun" are prohibitively small as a DD, like an ND Miata, S2000, Boxster, Elise.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:19 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:13 am

We don't do a whole lot separately TBH. Kind of sad, but is what it is...part of moving to a new area where neither of us knew anyone...we developed activities and friends together mostly.
NO
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:06 pm

:dat:

Most of the other things I would find as "fun" are prohibitively small as a DD, like an ND Miata, S2000, Boxster, Elise.
The only thing I ever wanted to trade my C6 for was a mid engined thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 pm
NO
:wat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I have been driving my plastic fantastic all week. It is a much more balanced car when its really hot. The power is down a bit and the summer tires grip like a mf. Hammer it at 50 degrees and it will get a little out of shape on you.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

NO
Eh, it's a couple by couple thing. I value my own hobbies and I don't expect the wife to want to watch me turn laps at a track or crash my bike in the woods. Nor do I want to go out to :fancy: restaurants with a bunch of :tits: all the time. It is great to get out and have a weekend with a bunch of dudes only, from time to time as well. We both get value out of some separation, nothing wrong with that. Some really enjoy being together 24/7, nothing wrong with that either, as long as both parties are on the same page.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:14 pm

NO
There's nothing sad about liking to be around your wife all the time.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:19 pm

NO
Eh, it's a couple by couple thing. I value my own hobbies and I don't expect the wife to want to watch me turn laps at a track or crash my bike in the woods. Nor do I want to go out to :fancy: restaurants with a bunch of :tits: all the time. It is great to get out and have a weekend with a bunch of dudes only, from time to time as well. We both get value out of some separation, nothing wrong with that. Some really enjoy being together 24/7, nothing wrong with that either, as long as both parties are on the same page.
Yeah I'm just saying its not sad.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:14 pm
There's nothing sad about liking to be around your wife all the time.
:notbad:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:42 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:15 pm

PREACH.

It's all worthless when you're taking a dirt nap
BRB gonna go buy matching Mclarens for him and her
This would be an epic flex.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

Gotta add 3rdgenfan with the triple ass ram
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:38 pm Gotta add 3rdgenfan with the triple ass ram
Page 345, about a third down. He got ass rammed 3 times. :hubba:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28&start=8600
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.