Car/Moto 2020 Resolutions

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:44 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:30 pm Expectations for 2020 are low. Trying not to commit seppuku once my one and only car is a $15k baby hauler is about all I'm looking forward to. :eeyore:
it will be ok bro. do your 5 year tour in the burbs. then get something awesome
ha thanks, I guess we'll see.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

stripethree wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:11 pm
dubshow wrote:I love my :gorf: but I want something with serious power. :notsure:

I highly recommend the method of renting an exotic for 1-2 weeks a year to appease that want. You also drive more than me daily so that might not satisfy what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats a good point. I need to hit walt up and take an exotic for a spin. That power might be a terrible addiction though.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:35 pm

I highly recommend the method of renting an exotic for 1-2 weeks a year to appease that want. You also drive more than me daily so that might not satisfy what you are looking for.

thats a good point. I need to hit walt up and take an exotic for a spin. That power might be a terrible addiction though.
I think they left nola
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:53 pm

I think they left nola
Correct. They didn't renew their lease. Not sure when they're leaving, but it's likely this Jan.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:53 pm

I think they left nola
oh? well shit.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:51 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:18 am

We had a factory 5 show up at an autocross. Me and a friend picked his brain. The dude said he spent the better part of 2 years getting it complete. it sounded like it was more of a pain in the ass than anything. I'd consider an Exocet because it's basically striped down, but I don't think I'd consider a full kit car after hearing about Brad's drama.
just buy one that's 'done'

or better yet buy something mildly exotic. if you get an Elise you basically pay for maintenance and interest on any loan you take out. it's a sweet :dill:
The thing is, I want to build it.

A coworker built a Daytona from F5 and it did need some extra work beyond what they tell you, they advise up to the minimum. His car with the extra work is pretty sweet and is his dedicated track car now.

I checked his out before he transferred to our Colorado location and would get his advice on fixes before I start.

Another friend did a F5 cobra with a 289 that was only half half-assed, but he admitted to cutting corners and not refabricating some things that didn't fit.

Most of them are built by morons that hack them together and get lazy. I'd never buy one completed, it's not about the money, is rather pay a lot more and build it.

The forums for these kits are mind-blowing on how they try to macguyver shit and brag about it.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:27 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:51 am

just buy one that's 'done'

or better yet buy something mildly exotic. if you get an Elise you basically pay for maintenance and interest on any loan you take out. it's a sweet :dill:
The thing is, I want to build it.

A coworker built a Daytona from F5 and it did need some extra work beyond what they tell you, they advise up to the minimum. His car with the extra work is pretty sweet and is his dedicated track car now.

I checked his out before he transferred to our Colorado location and would get his advice on fixes before I start.

Another friend did a F5 cobra with a 289 that was only half half-assed, but he admitted to cutting corners and not refabricating some things that didn't fit.

Most of them are built by morons that hack them together and get lazy. I'd never buy one completed, it's not about the money, is rather pay a lot more and build it.

The forums for these kits are mind-blowing on how they try to macguyver shit and brag about it.

So you're tellin me you wanna airboat it...
Do you have a corporate account with J.B. Weld?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Liter bike /bread
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:35 pm thats a good point. I need to hit walt up and take an exotic for a spin. That power might be a terrible addiction though.
Liter bike /bread
That reminds me... If the stupid little 250cc 4-cylinder kawasaki comes to the USA then I might end up with a bike again. Need to learn the TravisWaxer magic to avoid getting tickets when hitting go to jail speeds on a regular basis first :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:39 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:31 am

If the shocks are original, they ARE tired..
I bought car 5? years old with 80k, so probably yes.
Didn't I send you some Sachs with 30K on them?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:35 pm I highly recommend the method of renting an exotic for 1-2 weeks a year to appease that want. You also drive more than me daily so that might not satisfy what you are looking for.
Oh, it is. The want is strong. I daydream, lurk Craigslist, and stalk Autotrader for GT350s, early R8s (esp the elusive drop-top V10 :manuel:), manual CTS-V wagons, 981 Boxster/Cayman (specifically GTS) and the like weekly. Then I think about the cost of insurance, the maintenance, and the cost per mile given that I probably wouldn't pay for these things in cash and would drive them infrequently. Even if I paid the membership at Harris Hill and did 1-2 track days a month, I manage to convince myself it isn't worth it.

For now.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:31 pm
4zilch wrote:
Liter bike /bread
That reminds me... If the stupid little 250cc 4-cylinder kawasaki comes to the USA then I might end up with a bike again. Need to learn the TravisWaxer magic to avoid getting tickets when hitting go to jail speeds on a regular basis first :doe:
I don’t see many :narc: :iono:

The new Kawi reportedly revs to 17k make around 50hp..

Also reportedly is unlikely to make its way to us shores.

It’d be easier to get your hands on a 250rr or a 400 from the same era.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:35 pm I highly recommend the method of renting an exotic for 1-2 weeks a year to appease that want. You also drive more than me daily so that might not satisfy what you are looking for.
Oh, it is. The want is strong. I daydream, lurk Craigslist, and stalk Autotrader for GT350s, early R8s (esp the elusive drop-top V10 :manuel:), manual CTS-V wagons, 981 Boxster/Cayman (specifically GTS) and the like weekly. Then I think about the cost of insurance, the maintenance, and the cost per mile given that I probably wouldn't pay for these things in cash and would drive them infrequently. Even if I paid the membership at Harris Hill and did 1-2 track days a month, I manage to convince myself it isn't worth it.

For now.
This. Always shopping, rarely spending.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

I want to get the GTO out to the drag strip this year.

I would also like to get the 944 completed, but with the wedding and such, I'm not sure if the money is going to allow that to happen.
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:31 pm That reminds me... If the stupid little 250cc 4-cylinder kawasaki comes to the USA then I might end up with a bike again. Need to learn the TravisWaxer magic to avoid getting tickets when hitting go to jail speeds on a regular basis first :doe:

It must be a location thing, I feel like I see a cop every 5-10 miles driving within a 30 mile radius of here... in a town with a population of 11000. Fuck New York.

I can't see dealing with a 30 year old import and its carbs in this place. Maybe if I had 300 riding days a year instead of 60. Grab one and store it for me for another 10 years.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 pm
4zilch wrote:

It must be a location thing, I feel like I see a cop every 5-10 miles driving within a 30 mile radius of here... in a town with a population of 11000. Fuck New York.

I can't see dealing with a 30 year old import and its carbs in this place. Maybe if I had 300 riding days a year instead of 60. Grab one and store it for me for another 10 years.
I mean there’s certainly times when I see a lot, but it’s generally on commuting roads, which I don’t really speed on. And very generally speaking, if you’re geared up, and not riding like a complete twat, most cops will leave you alone. Case-in-point: wife and I went out on a ride on Sunday, as I accelerated onto the main road out of the neighborhood, I hit about 60mph as I rode by a Maryville cop sitting on a perpendicular street. He pulled out behind me, followed for a 1/4 mile or so (I had slowed down by then), flipped his lights on, I pull off to the side, cop goes by and pulled over the BMW that I was following (who I presume was also speeding when he went by the cop).

I’ve been pulled over a handful of times on the bikes, and yes, I was speeding 10+ over, but have been fortunate to ride away with a verbal or written warning. And I realize that my luck will run out at some point, but it is what it is. Generally speaking, I ride within reasonable reach of the speed limit, slow down in populated areas, and really only go full retard in areas of good visibility and with a few friends to go down with me if we get busted.

On the subject of old carbureted things, most of them that make it over here are already in really good shape and require minimal work. I’ve only had the carbs off on mine twice - once because some knob before me set the float heights wrong and another to rejet for new exhaust. Everything else has been related to old bike problems - radiators, steering head bearings, fork seals, etc..

However, as you mentioned - inspite of some nice roads, up-state NY has a pretty short riding season and an abundance of revenue hunting :narc:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm

For now.
Same. This is why we are friends.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:19 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:39 am

I bought car 5? years old with 80k, so probably yes.
no, I think we talked but someone else had greater need and you sent them there.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

No :plac: plans. Lift the :jeep: maybe larger tires if mine wear out this year, but they still have a good amount of life it looks like, so that’ll probably be a 2021 thing.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:25 pm
MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:11 pm

99% sure the valving is different. Especially if one is designed for lowering springs.
Info was from a Bilstein employee :iono:

But would think along a similar lines as you, but then again they’re designed to be a bit middle-of-the-road - they cant accommodate a specific drop or spring rate
I used to work for Bilstein. I can probably get someone to pull the actual prints and confirm if you're that interested. Would seem weird to even create new SKUs for a slightly shorter length only, but that might be the case.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:33 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Info was from a Bilstein employee :iono:

But would think along a similar lines as you, but then again they’re designed to be a bit middle-of-the-road - they cant accommodate a specific drop or spring rate
I used to work for Bilstein. I can probably get someone to pull the actual prints and confirm if you're that interested. Would seem weird to even create new SKUs for a slightly shorter length only, but that might be the case.
Yeah, I don’t care that much. Thanks for offering :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:19 pm

no, I think we talked but someone else had greater need and you sent them there.
No man. You paid me $80 shipping via Paypal and I sent them to you. Check your garage.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:48 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am

No man. You paid me $80 shipping via Paypal and I sent them to you. Check your garage.
:lolol:.

ok will do. any idea how long ago this was? 2-26-18. right after Charlie was born, so I had like no sleep... that explains why I forgot.

I'll see if I can hunt them down :lol:
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:48 pm

:lolol:.

ok will do. any idea how long ago this was? 2-26-18. right after Charlie was born, so I had like no sleep... that explains why I forgot.

I'll see if I can hunt them down :lol:
:like:
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am no, I think we talked but someone else had greater need and you sent them there.
:amaze: