Car/Moto 2020 Resolutions

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:09 am
Melon wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:58 am
E39 M5
:notbad:

Free the sound of our people.
:dat:

E39 M5 would be a dope addition to the :melon: patch.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:11 am Stop :plac: so I don't feel so bad dropping $$$ on wheels & tires
Who dis?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 am

B6's appear to be on back order :doe:
the stiffer, yellow 700 dollar ones?

yea no thanks. GTI is a street car, that does street things.
B6 is a street strut (it's what I have one the FiST). Def better than the stock shocks in both handling and comfort.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 am the stiffer, yellow 700 dollar ones?

B6 is a street strut (it's what I have one the FiST). Def better than the stock shocks in both handling and comfort.

B6 is what you want.

On some (maybe all?) applications :doe: the B8 is valved the same.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I've had B8's on the Miata and E30, I'm a fan.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

My car plans this year is to selectively spend money. I got my raise and a bonus at Xmas so I got a whole bill paid off and now it's time to move onto other bills.

But overall, I'd like to get coilovers on the Meowta so that I can get rid of the tire scrubbing from my choice of the wrong offset of rims. We may end up co-driving it a lot more often since the vette needs new tires and I'm not really interested in blowing a grand and a half right now. Plus with Alan not really racing in CAM at events, there's no real motivation to get the C5 out there. I may go slicks next, but I'm pretty happy with racing the Meowta.

Next would be to drop time and money into the Lemons MR-2. We yanked it out of the backyard and put it on concrete and on jackstands. Drained the oil, well more like drained the water. It was flooded and crank won't turn. So I'm going to see about ordering a rebuild kit for the Silver-top that we have, and aim to get that into the car by mid-summer or so. Also need to strip the car down and prepare for the roll cage install.

So for me, this year will be mainly spent on getting the MR-2 track ready and coilovers on the MX-5. If we get the MR-2 running, my buddy and I plan to co-drive the shit out of it to get some shake down runs.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

After watching Ford v Ferrari I want to seriously figure out a plan for building a Factory Five Daytona Coupe.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:35 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 am

the stiffer, yellow 700 dollar ones?

I'm sure they are great shocks, but I have other priorities these days than spending 500 or more dollars preium on shocks for my 10 year old DD. This is underlined by the fact that I've been very happy with how the car behaves in stock form.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:38 am
4zilch wrote:

B6 is what you want.

:dat: B8 just has a shorter body for lowering springs, everything else is the same (or so I've been told)
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:01 am After watching Ford v Ferrari I want to seriously figure out a plan for building a Factory Five Daytona Coupe.
while I won't dissuade you from going down the kit car path:

as someone that has tried to build and did own a kit car, I know some things about this world.

Factory five kits are shit, and borderline unsafe. they don't box tubes, the cages are not made to any spec, and the fit is meh.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:08 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:01 am After watching Ford v Ferrari I want to seriously figure out a plan for building a Factory Five Daytona Coupe.

as someone that has tried to build and did own a kit car, I know some things about this world.

Factory five kits are shit, and borderline unsafe. they don't box tubes, the cages are not made to any spec, and the fit is meh.
this man knows what he speaks.

You can also buy a used one for pennies on dollar if you do opt that route.
Acid666

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:08 am

We had a factory 5 show up at an autocross. Me and a friend picked his brain. The dude said he spent the better part of 2 years getting it complete. it sounded like it was more of a pain in the ass than anything. I'd consider an Exocet because it's basically striped down, but I don't think I'd consider a full kit car after hearing about Brad's drama.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:18 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 am

We had a factory 5 show up at an autocross. Me and a friend picked his brain. The dude said he spent the better part of 2 years getting it complete. it sounded like it was more of a pain in the ass than anything. I'd consider an Exocet because it's basically striped down, but I don't think I'd consider a full kit car after hearing about Brad's drama.
just buy one that's 'done'

or better yet buy something mildly exotic. if you get an Elise you basically pay for maintenance and interest on any loan you take out. it's a sweet :dill:
brain go brrrrrr
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

:waxer: could go the superformance route and get a legit manufactured car
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am :waxer: could go the superformance route and get a legit manufactured car
Not that this comment really pertains to me, but my thoughts are as such:
My original plan with getting my C5 was to possibly sell it later when it's paid off, and put that 15-20K into a used 40-50K car (so my notes stay low) and have something like an R8 or a special model Viper. But after owning it and driving the piss out of it, and then garaging it the majority of the time I realize that I enjoy working on race cars more than I enjoy watching something (relatively) expensive sit. I totally see why people with money jump between different exotics/performance cars now though.
I used to want the latest and greatest, but after the purchase of the Miata, I've learned to love the beaters for the kind of racing I end up doing.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:04 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am :waxer: could go the superformance route and get a legit manufactured car
Not that this comment really pertains to me, but my thoughts are as such:
My original plan with getting my C5 was to possibly sell it later when it's paid off, and put that 15-20K into a used 40-50K car (so my notes stay low) and have something like an R8 or a special model Viper. But after owning it and driving the piss out of it, and then garaging it the majority of the time I realize that I enjoy working on race cars more than I enjoy watching something (relatively) expensive sit. I totally see why people with money jump between different exotics/performance cars now though.
I used to want the latest and greatest, but after the purchase of the Miata, I've learned to love the beaters for the kind of racing I end up doing.
The only flaw I see here is :poorvette: are worth about 8k not 15-20
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

stripethree wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:26 pm Blatantly ripped off from Jalop. Whatcha got planned for 2020?

https://jalopnik.com/tell-us-your-autom ... 1840747270

- Rallycross the R32 again (it's been 18 months or so) and then either keep rallycrossing it or look for another vehicle if I'm going to continue to play in the dirt
- Autocross the Miata (haven't done it yet)
- Track day on the CB (never done a Moto track day)
- Spend what it takes to have the SS50 running reliably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I want to downsize my wheels -1" and upsize my tires to :225: but I am :notsure: if they actually fit. I can't believe how much of a shit show the Mini JCW is when it comes to getting to figure out what type of wheel/tire will fit.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:07 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:38 am :dat:

B6 is what you want.

:dat: B8 just has a shorter body for lowering springs, everything else is the same (or so I've been told)
99% sure the valving is different. Especially if one is designed for lowering springs.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

dubshow wrote:I love my :gorf: but I want something with serious power. :notsure:
I have fought this urge for several years now. But looking at how little I drive, it wasn't worth the money to buy and maintain something with powah.

I highly recommend the method of renting an exotic for 1-2 weeks a year to appease that want. You also drive more than me daily so that might not satisfy what you are looking for.

@4zilch - I've built out a theoretical Fiesta ST rallyx car several times. If the VW proves to be a continued pain in the ass, I'll be listening out for when you sell the FiST.

MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:51 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:18 am

just buy one that's 'done'

or better yet buy something mildly exotic. if you get an Elise you basically pay for maintenance and interest on any loan you take out. it's a sweet :dill:
I'm still on the look out for a "done" exocet, the way I would like it.

I thought about the Elise route. They don't depreciate, but wow are they fragile. And maintenance can be a pain on them.

Didn't like the idea that a bumper tap or big pothole could make it a salvage title. Too risky. Either give me a cheaper, more robust newer Miata, or a more extreme Exocet.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:11 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:07 am

99% sure the valving is different. Especially if one is designed for lowering springs.
Info was from a Bilstein employee :iono:

But would think along a similar lines as you, but then again they’re designed to be a bit middle-of-the-road - they cant accommodate a specific drop or spring rate
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:11 pm
dubshow wrote:I love my :gorf: but I want something with serious power. :notsure:
I have fought this urge for several years now. But looking at how little I drive, it wasn't worth the money to buy and maintain something with powah.

I highly recommend the method of renting an exotic for 1-2 weeks a year to appease that want. You also drive more than me daily so that might not satisfy what you are looking for.

@4zilch - I've built out a theoretical Fiesta ST rallyx car several times. If the VW proves to be a continued pain in the ass, I'll be listening out for when you sell the FiST.

Noted.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:12 am I don't have any real personal :plac: plans.

We might go to Houston to drive some Teslas and see if the wife likes the Mod 3. We are leaning towards that purchase. I love my :gorf: but I want something with serious power. :notsure:

Goals: Track grom more. I'm done modding it.

Racecar? :iono: fix it and sell it?
:doit: all.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Expectations for 2020 are low. Trying not to commit seppuku once my one and only car is a $15k baby hauler is about all I'm looking forward to. :eeyore:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:30 pm Expectations for 2020 are low. Trying not to commit seppuku once my one and only car is a $15k baby hauler is about all I'm looking forward to. :eeyore:
it will be ok bro. do your 5 year tour in the burbs. then get something awesome
brain go brrrrrr