:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:13 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:09 am

For some reason my wife started watching The Amazing Race recently from season 1 which was ~20 years ago. Half of the show is people getting lost and :rage: because they can't read a map.They'd have no material if the contestants had smartphones, dunno how it's still on the air.
It’s :mindblown: how many people can’t read a map or even find NESW when standing outside..
:disgust: really.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:03 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:51 pm
Toyota and FCA both rate their high trims the same as the lower trims don't they? So I am not sure how this ties.

Also pre covid this was a non issue. It has been at least 4 months since the factory shut downs have lifted. Plenty of time to crank out the inventory it seems.

I think the issues are as follows.

1. People are leaving cities and going suburbs because of "peaceful protests" and massive degradation of quality of life within a city, this generates significant demand as those without vehicles now NEED one.
2. Cars are in demand because no one ubers anymore because they are "too scared" of the "virus"
3. Most that used to be able to buy NEW (educated, with decent careers) have MORE money now than they did pre the pandemic because, people don't eat out and travel anymore, which were huge budgets prior.
4. Vehicles are now the preferred mode of travel (per above) and people are going for "lifestyle" choices like Tacos/Gladiators etc.
5. Somewhat constricted supply from 2-3 months of factory "shut downs"

Just an absolute fking nightmare.

With regards to the Sport S. It doesn't do anything for me, I just want to buy the better model and call it a day. And I don't want to pay some stupid ass 10k markup because some :dillerman: wants to buy his receptionist a boobjob for X mas.

I can open my phone go to tesla.com and purchase the EXACT Model X I want within 2 min, and it will be DELIVERED to my HOUSE within 2 weeks. Why the fuck can't a traditional OEM do the same.
Because of all the reasons you stated above. No one wants a Model X, everyone wants a Rubi or TRD because they’re cool and people want to feel adventurous after being stuck at home.

This too will pass, but for now you’re right on the money with the five points above.

Good time to sell a vehicle and buy a city condo.
Tesla Sales Are up 30+% along with the rest of em. It’s the :dillerman: network that is causing the issues for me. Flex pricing is annoying. I get why it’s there but yea
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I drive new places so infrequently that I just use the map app on my phone. Never had CarPlay or android auto, I don’t imagine I’d use them much if I did have them.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 am I drive new places so infrequently that I just use the map app on my phone. Never had CarPlay or android auto, I don’t imagine I’d use them much if I did have them.
How do you live life like this ? The danger of taking a wrong turn and ending up at a donkey show in Tijuana is immense!
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SAWCE wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:09 am For some reason my wife started watching The Amazing Race recently from season 1 which was ~20 years ago. Half of the show is people getting lost and :rage: because they can't read a map.They'd have no material if the contestants had smartphones, dunno how it's still on the air.
It’s :mindblown: how many people can’t read a map or even find NESW when standing outside..
One thing that I would like to know but have always been too lazy to learn is how to find directions based on the stars.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:25 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 am I drive new places so infrequently that I just use the map app on my phone. Never had CarPlay or android auto, I don’t imagine I’d use them much if I did have them.
How do you live life like this ? The danger of taking a wrong turn and ending up at a donkey show in Tijuana is immense!
As soon as more than 50% of cars around me are blaring mariachi music and drowning out my screamo I know it’s time to flip a u-turn and :gtfo:
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:32 am
SAWCE wrote:
One thing that I would like to know but have always been too lazy to learn is how to find directions based on the stars.
Yeah that would be sick. I can usually find the north star and those main constellations, but beyond that I have zero fucking clue.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:37 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:25 am

As soon as more than 50% of cars around me are blaring mariachi music and drowning out my screamo I know it’s time to flip a u-turn and :gtfo:
Isn’t that just so cal in general 😳😐
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:45 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:37 am

Isn’t that just so cal in general 😳😐
:notwrong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:50 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:04 am

:mahman:

CarPlay has been less life changing than Taco Bell eliminating the Shredded Chicken Burrito from the menu.
Interesting. So you don't use any sort of navigation when going to a new place?
I do... but just don't find CarPlay really adds anything. I had a vent mount before... I could see the map in the same place basically as it is on the car screen. The fact that it is on the car screen is a pro, but the fact that you then have to toggle between that and the audio is a con, so it's kind of a wash, IMO. Also, I'd rather not have to plug it in each time as I feel that likely degrades the phone's battery longevity. I find in my C5, the map on my phone on the upper/middle vent and then controlling the Bluetooth audio on my $100 Kenwood is just as good an experience.

:wrong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:03 am

Because of all the reasons you stated above. No one wants a Model X, everyone wants a Rubi or TRD because they’re cool and people want to feel adventurous after being stuck at home.

This too will pass, but for now you’re right on the money with the five points above.

Good time to sell a vehicle and buy a city condo.
Tesla Sales Are up 30+% along with the rest of em. It’s the :dillerman: network that is causing the issues for me. Flex pricing is annoying. I get why it’s there but yea
:word:

You're :notwrong: that the direct model is better, but it is what it is, I think mostly due to the gov, no? Somehow Tesla is allowed to break the law and do things their own way. I think other manufacturers would do the same if they were able. It would be hugely successful, look at Carvana. Who doesn't want to do a :dill: like that? It would also eliminate the need for inventory, huge lots in cities, etc. Just have one of each thing to come in and drive/check out, order what you want, get it delivered to your house two months later. They could charge the same MSRP/pricing and make more money.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:01 am
I do... but just don't find CarPlay really adds anything. I had a vent mount before... I could see the map in the same place basically as it is on the car screen. The fact that it is on the car screen is a pro, but the fact that you then have to toggle between that and the audio is a con, so it's kind of a wash, IMO. Also, I'd rather not have to plug it in each time as I feel that likely degrades the phone's battery longevity. I find in my C5, the map on my phone on the upper/middle vent and then controlling the Bluetooth audio on my $100 Kenwood is just as good an experience.

So you just use a vent mount in the JL? I could see that working...AA on the 7" screen in the JL is pretty small. Also more :rage: on the 8.4" radio, the audio buttons are maintained along the bottom of the screen, which makes switching between AA and audio sources ridiculously easy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:05 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am

You're :notwrong: that the direct model is better, but it is what it is, I think mostly due to the gov, no? Somehow Tesla is allowed to break the law and do things their own way. I think other manufacturers would do the same if they were able. It would be hugely successful, look at Carvana. Who doesn't want to do a :dill: like that? It would also eliminate the need for inventory, huge lots in cities, etc. Just have one of each thing to come in and drive/check out, order what you want, get it delivered to your house two months later. They could charge the same MSRP/pricing and make more money.
Dealers aren't entirely bad. They hold inventory, they bear the cost of brick and mortar and real estate, and they manage the entire service process, which is a pretty huge thing. While the customer approach seems to be bad, it's not entirely so and varies by dealer. That's the difficult part...maintaining a consistent good customer experience across independently owned franchises.

And build to order is tough for big volume. Americans are still very much about instant gratification, and a lot of cars are sold on the spot. I've also read stories about Tesla building inventory and holding onto it to push onto dealers for sales pushes. Fine, but all that is on the books. For traditional OEMs, as soon as a vehicle is shipped to a dealer, it's off the books which makes for much more manageable accounting and less overhead.

And again, build to order is fine for EVs, but the .gov won't allow 100% free demand in production due to regulations. This is why I hate the .gov only focusing on the supply side of the equation.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

If you’re on iOS 14 CarPlay has a split window option so you can see the map/navigation and sound. It’s quite impressive.

I’ll send you a snap later. Only works with Apple Maps and Google Maps right now. I’m sure Waze is coming soon
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:11 am

So you just use a vent mount in the JL? I could see that working...AA on the 7" screen in the JL is pretty small. Also more :rage: on the 8.4" radio, the audio buttons are maintained along the bottom of the screen, which makes switching between AA and audio sources ridiculously easy.
I do use CarPlay for nav in the Beep Beep, the vent mount in the Corvette... I just don't find one is really superior to the other :iono: They both work perfectly fine. I have seen AA cuts the screen in half for nav which is lame, with CP it basically fills the screen and is plenty large on the 7" unit. The only part not filled by the map is the left where you can open other apps and the bottom where you can select the radio or whatever other things in the car's infotainment. It all works well, just doesn't really provide anything revolutionary that my phone/cheapo head unit didn't already accomplish with aplomb.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:18 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:05 am

Dealers aren't entirely bad. They hold inventory, they bear the cost of brick and mortar and real estate, and they manage the entire service process, which is a pretty huge thing. While the customer approach seems to be bad, it's not entirely so and varies by dealer. That's the difficult part...maintaining a consistent good customer experience across independently owned franchises.

And build to order is tough for big volume. Americans are still very much about instant gratification, and a lot of cars are sold on the spot. I've also read stories about Tesla building inventory and holding onto it to push onto dealers for sales pushes. Fine, but all that is on the books. For traditional OEMs, as soon as a vehicle is shipped to a dealer, it's off the books which makes for much more manageable accounting and less overhead.

And again, build to order is fine for EVs, but the .gov won't allow 100% free demand in production due to regulations. This is why I hate the .gov only focusing on the supply side of the equation.
:word: Good points. I did actually love our Jeep :dillerman: experience, unfortunately most aren't as great.

I have been dealing with this looking at bikes though, the direct to consumer bike brands seem to have it right. You save a 10-20% on the cost of an equivalent bike and, frankly, the local bike shops aren't really all that great. Everyone in the cycling community loves to talk about how you should support them but they're basically a rape cave not unlike car :dillerman: They all carry off brand parts (like bar tape, cables, brake pads, etc.) that isn't as good as stuff like Shimano, SRAM, and the like, and charge you 200% of what you could buy the actual good shit for online. Their service departments aren't really all that great either, just like car repair places, I can often do it better myself despite not being an expert, and it's more convenient to not have to deal with making appointments, driving somewhere, etc.

The more I say stuff like this though, the more I realize I just don't fit in with my demographic of a 30 something white male in the US at all.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:07 pm

:word: Good points. I did actually love our Jeep :dillerman: experience, unfortunately most aren't as great.

I have been dealing with this looking at bikes though, the direct to consumer bike brands seem to have it right. You save a 10-20% on the cost of an equivalent bike and, frankly, the local bike shops aren't really all that great. Everyone in the cycling community loves to talk about how you should support them but they're basically a rape cave not unlike car :dillerman: They all carry off brand parts (like bar tape, cables, brake pads, etc.) that isn't as good as stuff like Shimano, SRAM, and the like, and charge you 200% of what you could buy the actual good shit for online. Their service departments aren't really all that great either, just like car repair places, I can often do it better myself despite not being an expert, and it's more convenient to not have to deal with making appointments, driving somewhere, etc.

The more I say stuff like this though, the more I realize I just don't fit in with my demographic of a 30 something white male in the US at all.
Especially now post rona. I can't even get a reply back or just stupid replies.This isn't even brand specific. Unless you're willing to pay 5-10k above sticker you won't hear back. They are feasting on the :derp: 's for now
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

In the BMW sometimes the Car Play doesn't pick up the phone. Instead of killing myself I just use my phone to navigate. When I arrive at my destination I do not feel a need to organize a class action against BMW or Apple or both for some sort of deprivation/return to the Bronze Age.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

This is the crux of it.

Example:

We've done a few free things to the new house. Painted some walls with paint we already had, rewired some track lighting, moved some cabinets in the kitchen, basic easy stuff. Dude we're buying the house from (who's 30) came over last night and was :mindblown: that we "paid all this money to refresh the house". When we told them we did it ourselves for "free" using materials we already had, he responded with "huh, it never occurred to me to do it myself, I didn't grow up like that". Same dude has a build ZR2 Bison and pays people to do everything on it. He paid AEV to install a winch in it...a $2,000 job to install a $1.5k winch. I told him we could have done it ourselves, but he said "I'd rather trust professionals with wiring". :wat: This is the norm in the world.

Dealers for all sorts of things are still needed, just not for people like us.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:46 pm

This is the crux of it.

Example:

We've done a few free things to the new house. Painted some walls with paint we already had, rewired some track lighting, moved some cabinets in the kitchen, basic easy stuff. Dude we're buying the house from (who's 30) came over last night and was :mindblown: that we "paid all this money to refresh the house". When we told them we did it ourselves for "free" using materials we already had, he responded with "huh, it never occurred to me to do it myself, I didn't grow up like that". Same dude has a build ZR2 Bison and pays people to do everything on it. He paid AEV to install a winch in it...a $2,000 job to install a $1.5k winch. I told him we could have done it ourselves, but he said "I'd rather trust professionals with wiring". :wat: This is the norm in the world.

I rewired part of the house/fixed outlets
Installed 5 new lighting fixtures/8 new track lights
Painted the entire inside
Cut and installed all baseboards
Going to fix part of the deck this weekend
Fix roof vent collar
Cleaned the gutters
I cut my own grass and do my own landscaping
Working on sprinkler system now...

The thing that sucks about this is... I have no time for anything. And I'm learning that time = money. And I need to let go more... I'd rather have spent that time doing something else. Going rate is $200 an hr... for anything that I am doing here so I am willing to "pay that" to myself. But there is no ROI on these things in the area where I live. So if i PAID someone to do this, it would come out of my retirement. Next time I will just buy the better house.

Fuck house shit... :yikes:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:49 pm
This is the crux of it.

Example:

Fix roof vent collar
Cleaned the gutters

The thing that sucks about this is... I have no time for anything. And I'm learning that time = money. And I need to let go more... I'd rather have spent that time doing something else. Going rate is $200 an hr... for anything that I am doing here so I am willing to "pay that" to myself. But there is no ROI on these things in the area where I live. So if i PAID someone to do this, it would come out of my retirement. Next time I will just buy the better house.

Comes down to what you value and can afford.

We always buy the shittiest house in the nicest neighborhood because we can't really afford the nicest neighborhood otherwise. I've found that dumping time into houses has WAY better ROI for me than cars, so whatever.

It's also a balance with houses...burn out is real if you try to smash everything together to get it all done at once. Laying out a timeline for improvements that accommodates for nights and weekends to have fun doing whatever you want goes a long way toward improving happiness with a house.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Fix roof vent collar
Cleaned the gutters

We always buy the shittiest house in the nicest neighborhood because we can't really afford the nicest neighborhood otherwise. I've found that dumping time into houses has WAY better ROI for me than cars, so whatever.

It's also a balance with houses...burn out is real if you try to smash everything together to get it all done at once. Laying out a timeline for improvements that accommodates for nights and weekends to have fun doing whatever you want goes a long way toward improving happiness with a house.
How do you have "time" to do "fun things" when two or more of you are working 40-60hr weeks. Just burning out on this thing. Yea the "ROI" on homes was nuts from 2012-2020. But it seems like it may not maintain. Although my house went up "30k" supposedly on Zillow in the last 2 months.

Also in my area you can put 300k into a house and get 30k out of it. better to just buy the right house or just "slave away" for nothing. There was a house that was 500k more than ours but it literally had 1.5M of extra features in it. Seriously regretting for going :scrooge: and now having to dick with all the assholes trying to rip me a new one on every project.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This is the crux of it.

Example:

Fix roof vent collar
Cleaned the gutters

I am in a similar boat but haven't had to do as much/after some time, :tits: calms down on the obsession. I personally don't really give a damn about my house as long as everything is clean and works, :tits: constantly wants to "upgrade" things... I think my ideal would be a townhouse with two car garage, as it just eliminates so many of the :bs: projects. I don't want to spend all my time on house shit, but I also don't want to pay another mortgage each month to hire "pros".

:ohwell:

It gets a little better once the newness of the house wears off.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Fix roof vent collar
Cleaned the gutters

I am in a similar boat but haven't had to do as much/after some time, :tits: calms down on the obsession. I personally don't really give a damn about my house as long as everything is clean and works, :tits: constantly wants to "upgrade" things... I think my ideal would be a townhouse with two car garage, as it just eliminates so many of the :bs: projects. I don't want to spend all my time on house shit, but I also don't want to pay another mortgage each month to hire "pros".

:ohwell:

It gets a little better once the newness of the house wears off.
Yea... but the project list is essentially endless when you have a g'd damn yard. Which is like 30-50k to make "nice" and then the "maintenance" :oops: I should probably post in the Haus thread...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:57 pm

How do you have "time" to do "fun things" when two or more of you are working 40-60hr weeks. Just burning out on this thing. Yea the "ROI" on homes was nuts from 12-00. But it seems like it may not maintain. Also in my area you can put 300k into a house and get 30k out of it. better to just buy the right house or just "slave away" for nothing. There was a house that was 500k more than ours but it literally had 1.5M of extra features in it. Seriously regretting for going :scrooge: and now having to dick with all the assholes trying to rip me a new one on every project.
:wat:

I thought house appreciation was off the charts by you? Shacks that would be a tear-down here selling for $1M+? What happened?

I've been there with burn-out, man...I get it. That's why when we take on a project I lay out what I want to be done in the week or if it's a bigger project, what's the target finish date. Don't assume working constantly, award a lot of time and breaks. Like knock out electrical in one weekend, then plan the next weekend to be a break/fun weekend then tackle deck fixing after that. It's not a rush unless you're trying to flip the place.