:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:37 pm Curious if this was mostly other Tessie owners?

The Corvette gets a ton of unwanted attention Imageol: The Jeep gets a ton of comments as well but mostly compliments on the color, much more palatable than meth heads creaming their pants over the :poorvette:
Mostly non tesla owners. But I felt a bit of the snobbery too ... like "oh look at that rich guy with the tesla" crap. Most people that KNOW the taco sort of love it and give me compliments on the color but that's RARE. The tesla attracted a bit more attention.
I assume anyone getting in/out of a Tesla is some jackass rich techbro making millions from an idiotic app with no vowels.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:43 pm
max225 wrote:
Mostly non tesla owners. But I felt a bit of the snobbery too ... like "oh look at that rich guy with the tesla" crap. Most people that KNOW the taco sort of love it and give me compliments on the color but that's RARE. The tesla attracted a bit more attention.
I assume anyone getting in/out of a Tesla is some jackass rich techbro making millions from an idiotic app with no vowels.
Yea :notsure: about that stigma. No where near as bad as say... challenger/mustang but it is still not positive IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I feel like people around here like Tessie owners, they are sort of viewed as the future/the best. It's sort of the iPhone of cars to your average Joe whereas everything else is some version of Androids for the poors. Different story for car enthusiasts, but most aren't car enthusiasts.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:43 pm I assume anyone getting in/out of a Tesla is some jackass rich techbro making millions from an idiotic app with no vowels.
Yea :notsure: about that stigma. No where near as bad as say... challenger/mustang but it is still not positive IMO.
I mean I also assume that anyone who owns a home in the Pay Area is the same... or Seattle, Denver, Austin, NYC, etc. these days. Lots of people making more money than us for doing less work and I'm jealous.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:50 pm
max225 wrote:
I mean I also assume that anyone who owns a home in the Pay Area is the same... or Seattle, Denver, Austin, NYC, etc. these days. Lots of people making more money than us for doing less work and I'm jealous.
Lots of assumptions.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:50 pm I mean I also assume that anyone who owns a home in the Pay Area is the same... or Seattle, Denver, Austin, NYC, etc. these days. Lots of people making more money than us for doing less work and I'm jealous.
Lots of assumptions.
:notwrong:

The truth that I'm a dumbass in a family of dumbasses is harder to live with than pretending that you 1%'ers just got lucky and resenting you for it.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:47 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:43 pm I assume anyone getting in/out of a Tesla is some jackass rich techbro making millions from an idiotic app with no vowels.
Okay I’m being completely serious here. You obviously like the Tesla brand and the styling/packaging/features.

What is the true difference in features you get in a Model X versus a Model 3/Y? If you go electric route at this point it probably shouldn’t be your only car (not counting AZN’s Acura). I would feel like it’s a bad deal to get rid of the Mini and the Taco and throw down an additional $50k on top for a Model X that may not even be the “plaid”.

Stigma bullshit aside, you shouldn’t use that as the deciding factor. Tesla urself has a stigma of being a hype company that yuppies and tech bros or YouTuber’s get… doesn’t mean they’re bad cars.

If I were in your shoes I’d sell the Mini for top dollar before the car market corrects. Then I’d get into a Model 3 or Y and just see if I can live with that for a year. Keep the Taco as a road trip/weekend trip car if you go anywhere that requires the actual versatility or off the charging network. Use the Tesla anywhere else. Win win.

And grand scheme you’d be out maybe Mini and $20k versus losing both cars and $50k for the X
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:37 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:47 pm

Okay I’m being completely serious here. You obviously like the Tesla brand and the styling/packaging/features.

What is the true difference in features you get in a Model X versus a Model 3/Y? If you go electric route at this point it probably shouldn’t be your only car (not counting AZN’s Acura). I would feel like it’s a bad deal to get rid of the Mini and the Taco and throw down an additional $50k on top for a Model X that may not even be the “plaid”.

Stigma bullshit aside, you shouldn’t use that as the deciding factor. Tesla urself has a stigma of being a hype company that yuppies and tech bros or YouTuber’s get… doesn’t mean they’re bad cars.

If I were in your shoes I’d sell the Mini for top dollar before the car market corrects. Then I’d get into a Model 3 or Y and just see if I can live with that for a year. Keep the Taco as a road trip/weekend trip car if you go anywhere that requires the actual versatility or off the charging network. Use the Tesla anywhere else. Win win.

And grand scheme you’d be out maybe Mini and $20k versus losing both cars and $50k for the X
I think I get to decide whether or not I want to deal with the stigma. If it matters to me it matters.

That said, not sure yet on the Y. I have not spent enough time in one. That will happen this coming weekend. So I am not just going to post a bunch of bs that I have no experience with.

I do love the X doors. They are awesome. It has a big wow factor. It also has great air filtration and depending on model it has longer range + better performance than the Y + it has a load leveling air suspension. So you can raise/lower the car when you want to avoid scraping etc, and it never squats.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:50 pm
max225 wrote:
Define less work? Most people in those fields are on the cusp of true burnout and battling with an over saturated market of recent graduates with computer science an/or brogramming degrees looking to undercut the market just to get in.

60-80 hour weeks on minimum for most.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

I really don't want to make this another work thread... was hoping to stick to cars.
razr390

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:40 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:37 pm

I think I get to decide whether or not I want to deal with the stigma. If it matters to me it matters.

That said, not sure yet on the Y. I have not spent enough time in one. That will happen this coming weekend. So I am not just going to post a bunch of bs that I have no experience with.

I do love the X doors. They are awesome. It has a big wow factor. It also has great air filtration and depending on model it has longer range + better performance than the Y.
Stigma is all you boo boo, that’s fine. Every car has a stigma at the end of the day. But my point is that overall depending on the use case scenario, a 3/Y might be best financially and lifestyle wise.

Falcon doors are indeed nice but would be a :yikes: proposition for long term reliability or servicing if they go bad.

Range and performance makes sense.

FWIW one of our senior managers got a Model Y and can’t stop raving about it. He also has a Toyota Sequoia, so not exactly “car enthusiast” person either. Shows there is plenty to like across the board
max225

razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:45 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:40 pm

I do love the X doors. They are awesome. It has a big wow factor. It also has great air filtration and depending on model it has longer range + better performance than the Y.
Stigma is all you boo boo, that’s fine. Every car has a stigma at the end of the day. But my point is that overall depending on the use case scenario, a 3/Y might be best financially and lifestyle wise.

Falcon doors are indeed nice but would be a :yikes: proposition for long term reliability or servicing if they go bad.

FWIW one of our senior managers got a Model Y and can’t stop raving about it. He also has a Toyota Sequoia, so not exactly “car enthusiast” person either. Shows there is plenty to like across the board
This very forum has a bunch of Tesla haters. So it isn't "just me".
razr390

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:46 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:45 pm

This very forum has a bunch of Tesla haters. So it isn't "just me".
I am not a Tesla hater, I’ll call out every brand on their BS if they have any. I think early Tesla QC issues left. Sour taste in many car enthusiasts’ mouths. But I definitely view Tesla’s like Dan said. The iPhone of cars. Making everything just easier and more enjoyable
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:18 pm Thanks for the write-up man, lots of great info on the Tessie! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I feel like this car is very big brothery... the car is always phoning home not only your location to the Tessie Corp but also actual live video of exactly where you are and what you're doin. :iono: I mean I have an iPhone/google apps so I'm already in this camp, but I guess I'm one of the few remaining people that finds this stuff (and the likes of Amazon Alexa) pretty dang :digsust: and a huge invasion of privacy.
My Toyota rates the way I drive... I can "opt out" but if you think no one else is tracking you at this point... You gotta go air-cooled or bust.

I do agree there is a lot of big brother stuff in this car. But that isn't my main issue. The long term reliability/cost of ownership that are concerning me the most.
I’m interested in your :math: . You got me to look at some Model 3’s and the base or long range versions seem to tip into the :notbad: range. Especially since my commute is going down to 100 miles a day, but nearly all highway. I know a hybrid would be fine but a :neat: electric that would essentially run for free if I add some solar panels is a very intriguing longer term play.
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:00 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:20 pm

My Toyota rates the way I drive... I can "opt out" but if you think no one else is tracking you at this point... You gotta go air-cooled or bust.

I do agree there is a lot of big brother stuff in this car. But that isn't my main issue. The long term reliability/cost of ownership that are concerning me the most.
I’m interested in your :math: . You got me to look at some Model 3’s and the base or long range versions seem to tip into the :notbad: range. Especially since my commute is going down to 100 miles a day, but nearly all highway. I know a hybrid would be fine but a :neat: electric that would essentially run for free if I add some solar panels is a very intriguing longer term play.
Well if you drive to work during day when are you going to charge? At home a model 3 takes about 10 hrs to go to 80 % or so. I don't think it is time effective to drive E cars more than 100 miles a day unless you have access to L2 charging at home/work, and charge overnight/while working. It turns into a charging shitshow otherwise.

Gotta remember the :math: here
Long Range Model 3 is 353 miles. Tesla suggests using 211 miles of that. So you effectively have about 2 days of real world use.

Then you gotta charge overnight when you have no operating panels... Think of the timing of the "sun" also peak generation is from 12-5pm. When most are usually at work. Winter/overcast days also matter. You charge about 1/2-1/3 in the winter.

On the flip side see how much your electricity costs. For most of the country it is far cheaper than gas. Places with $2 a gallon gas also tend to have sub 10 cent per kWh of electricity.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:37 pm Okay I’m being completely serious here. You obviously like the Tesla brand and the styling/packaging/features.

I do love the X doors. They are awesome. It has a big wow factor. It also has great air filtration and depending on model it has longer range + better performance than the Y + it has a load leveling air suspension. So you can raise/lower the car when you want to avoid scraping etc, and it never squats.
The X is fucking cool if you want a huge bus and are rich and want everyone around you to know it, which I believe describes you - so go for it. It's the DeLorean of the 21st century.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:07 pm
max225 wrote:

The X is fucking cool if you want a huge bus and are rich and want everyone around you to know it, which I believe describes you - so go for it. It's the DeLorean of the 21st century.
It's not a bus. It is about the size of a modern "mid size" suv. My tacoma is a full 14" longer. It is roughly the size of a 4 runner.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:07 pm The X is fucking cool if you want a huge bus and are rich and want everyone around you to know it, which I believe describes you - so go for it. It's the DeLorean of the 21st century.
It's not a bus. It is about the size of a modern "mid size" suv. My tacoma is a full 14" longer. It is roughly the size of a 4 runner.
Different perspectives. The X is 15% (26") longer, 10% (7") wider, and nearly 100% (2600 lbs) heavier than our car which is already a bit bigger than we want. The mazda already doesn't really fit in our garage. To me that's a bus.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:17 pm
max225 wrote:
Different perspectives. The X is 15% (26") longer, 10% (7") wider, and nearly 100% (2600 lbs) heavier than our car which is already a bit bigger than we want. The mazda already doesn't really fit in our garage. To me that's a bus.
Yea no kidding. Comparing a mid size suv to a small hatch does in fact draw the above comparisons. Most EVs are heavy AF also.
max225

I think I will also test a BMW I3 again, with the newer battery packs. I am not confident in the range though. It seems like it is at MOST 120 miles + R/E which should mainly be used for emergencies really.
troyguitar

The width in particular of almost every newer car drives me nuts... If it wasn't so damn wide then you wouldn't need the :fancy: doors to be able to park the thing.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:23 pm The width in particular of almost every newer car drives me nuts... If it wasn't so damn wide then you wouldn't need the :fancy: doors to be able to park the thing.
Any car is narrow af compared to the most popular vehicle in the USA F150 full sizer
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Did I miss the full review with crunched numbers?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:55 pm Did I miss the full review with crunched numbers?
There was a bit on page 18. Where I talked about charging/consumption etc. Let me know what you're curious about.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:57 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:55 pm Did I miss the full review with crunched numbers?
There was a bit on page 18. Where I talked about charging/consumption etc. Let me know what you're curious about.
Oh I missed a post or two. Not much else to ask other than is the turd bro on the chopping block this year?