Define :plac:

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

What is plac ?

Changing a working vehicle for another or adding a vehicle you don’t need?
95%
Only if it happens to be gti to Charger to gti to Charger to charger to gti to wrx
5%

Total votes: 22
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Whether the vehicle is 10 months old or 10 years old, maintenance costs are always going to exist, and increase with age. Sinking 150+% of value into a vehicle for repairs is foolish.

Realistically, if that $1000 car needed $1500 in repairs, chances are good the owner would just go buy another $1000 car and drive it into the ground. The person would either abandon the broken vehicle at the mechanic's shop or take whatever trade they get, depending on if the mechanic also happens to be a shitbox dealer.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:19 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:51 pm

I don't necessarily agree with this.

If a car is worth $1000 and you dump $1500 to keep it going for another year... You're still better off than leasing a new civic. Financially speaking. But yes you'll be a poor fuck in a shit car.... but it just depends on your priorities.
You are, if you have the $1,500 to blow on it. And that's assuming that's all that's wrong. Other engine components, suspension, interior stuff, etc are all prime to fail as a vehicle ages. If you depend on it, and keep dumping money into it when it's worthless, are you really gaining anything?

Many people in that situation do not even have the means to pay for repairs. A $1.5k transmission job might set them back a ways financially. While it goes against financial planning best practices, sometimes it makes sense for someone to lease a cheap Elantra or something so they have reliable transportation to get to and from their job, and hopefully prosper economically as a result. I'm not talking about :fullretad: $700/mo Gladiator leases, but a $150/mo cheapo econobox.

Missing a meeting because my car broke down again or the bus was late can have pretty negative impacts on someone's job prospects, not to mention their psychological health.
It depends on the person. But if you don’t have $1500 or the means to understand simple car repairs you have no business owning a vehicle period.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm Also, to me your purchases have been :fullretard: and have made zero fucking sense.

:dealwithit:

I give no fucks, and judge not, because you buy shit that makes you happy.
:notwrong:

I don't see how the AMC Pacer to :turboyaris: to :turboyaris: to :turboyaris: to old :truk: to :poorvette: to :jeep: to Saab SUV thingy to 1SMP to 2 SMP to Volt to :truk: :jeep: 2SMP + 3SMP :jeep: BeepBeep makes for not :plac: :iono: You are up there with [user not found] in true :plac: moves. And I know I missed some in there.
Last edited by D Griff on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:38 pm
You are, if you have the $1,500 to blow on it. And that's assuming that's all that's wrong. Other engine components, suspension, interior stuff, etc are all prime to fail as a vehicle ages. If you depend on it, and keep dumping money into it when it's worthless, are you really gaining anything?

Many people in that situation do not even have the means to pay for repairs. A $1.5k transmission job might set them back a ways financially. While it goes against financial planning best practices, sometimes it makes sense for someone to lease a cheap Elantra or something so they have reliable transportation to get to and from their job, and hopefully prosper economically as a result. I'm not talking about :fullretad: $700/mo Gladiator leases, but a $150/mo cheapo econobox.

Missing a meeting because my car broke down again or the bus was late can have pretty negative impacts on someone's job prospects, not to mention their psychological health.
It depends on the person. But if you don’t have $1500 or the means to understand simple car repairs you have no business owning a vehicle period.
It boggles my mind the staggering amount of people who can't do basic maintenance on a vehicle. With that said, a lot of people don't have that extra $1500, and it isn't just the poor folk. I know a few people who are all about that payment life and just happened to find jobs that give them money faster than they can spend it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Easy to say that, but at the end of the day, it is a NECESSITY in most parts of the country.

I agree on the inability to do simple maintenance being :mindblown: as it saves an insane amount of money... but people just don't take much initiative to figure such things out.

So many people have seem my BMW and been like "wow, that must be so expensive, maintenance on that must be awful" etc. Maintenance has been $700 in 14K miles, $500 of which was tires, which were the first two replaced in the life of the car. I saved $400 by spending 40 minutes doing the plugs. $100 per oil change which takes less than an hour... but people are going to people and most have zero drive to take matters in to their own hands, there are many :crang: in this world.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yea, well that's not an option for most people.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:33 pm I will say, DFD has been rather active today.
:fuckyeah: :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:41 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm Also, to me your purchases have been :fullretard: and have made zero fucking sense.

I don't see how the AMC Pacer to :turboyaris: to :turboyaris: to :turboyaris: to old :truk: to :poorvette: to :jeep: to Saab SUV thingy to 1SMP to 2 SMP to Volt to :truk: :jeep: 2SMP + 3SMP :jeep: BeepBeep makes for not :plac: :iono: You are up there with [user not found] in true :plac: moves. And I know I missed some in there.
:impressive: and :notwrong:
brain go brrrrrr
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Easy to say that, but at the end of the day, it is a NECESSITY in most parts of the country.

I agree on the inability to do simple maintenance being :mindblown: as it saves an insane amount of money... but people just don't take much initiative to figure such things out.

So many people have seem my BMW and been like "wow, that must be so expensive, maintenance on that must be awful" etc. Maintenance has been $700 in 14K miles, $500 of which was tires, which were the first two replaced in the life of the car. I saved $400 by spending 40 minutes doing the plugs. $100 per oil change which takes less than an hour... but people are going to people and most have zero drive to take matters in to their own hands, there are many :crang: in this world.
I like when people use the excuse about the cost of tools. A basic set of hand tools is less expensive than a shop's labor rate, and tools can be used multiple times.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, I'm not claiming I'm better. I was "D_Plac" for a reason.

Just stating that replacing a 10 year old (owned 10 year) vehicle for :tits: or a different vehicle after completing a lease term is WAY different than trading my MK6 in for an ATS, then flipping the ATS after 12 mos of the lease (2 years remaining) for the old truck as DD, then selling that perfectly good old truck for the 1 SMP. That was actually my last :plac: move...I saw the Silverado to term, then the Colorado to term.

I'm over real :plac: shit. I think it's stupid. Trading the Volt in for the JL Wagen was stupid as all hell, but that was :tits: call. I love my Gladiator, but if the ZR2 wasn't a lease, I'd still have it. That truck was great. But it made zero sense to spend MORE than it was worth to buy the lease out, so it opened me up to other things.

But there's a very good chance that I'll buy my Gladiator at the end of the lease (because the residual buy out price decreases with miles) and ride it for many years to come.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Just stating that replacing a 10 year old (owned 10 year) vehicle for :tits: or a different vehicle after completing a lease term is WAY different than trading my MK6 in for an ATS, then flipping the ATS after 12 mos of the lease (2 years remaining) for the old truck as DD, then selling that perfectly good old truck for the 1 SMP. That was actually my last :plac: move...I saw the Silverado to term, then the Colorado to term.

I'm over real :plac: shit. I think it's stupid. Trading the Volt in for the JL Wagen was stupid as all hell, but that was :tits: call. I love my Gladiator, but if the ZR2 wasn't a lease, I'd still have it. That truck was great. But it made zero sense to spend MORE than it was worth to buy the lease out, so it opened me up to other things.

But there's a very good chance that I'll buy my Gladiator at the end of the lease (because the residual buy out price decreases with miles) and ride it for many years to come.
You could've driven the Volt :doe:

:trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:54 pm

VERY good point.

My :plac: is reduced, but not gone 100%.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 pm

Why not ?

I think basic financial common sense should be. That’s just like saying I can’t be inconvenienced to take a shit in a bathroom, I’ll just do it on the street. There is a certain floor for how a responsible human should act.

I fail to accept anything else. Not having $1500 for “most people” is just plain insane. That means something is out of whack in terms of priorities in life. (Medical/accident) exclusions non withstanding
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:08 pm

VERY good point.

My :plac: is reduced, but not gone 100%.
I wouldn't have done that either, FWIW... but the :plac: can never die.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 pm
Why not ?

I think basic financial common sense should be. That’s just like saying I can’t be inconvenienced to take a shit in a bathroom, I’ll just do it on the street. There is a certain floor for how a responsible human should act.

I fail to accept anything else. Not having $1500 for “most people” is just plain insane. That means something is out of whack in terms of priorities in life. (Medical/accident) exclusions non withstanding
Dude some people are legit poor, make like $20K per year but still have to get to work to pay their bills, most of the country has shit/nonexistent public transport.
max225

If you don’t have $1500 to your name how exactly will you survive ? $1200 a month is like the average rent ... $400 for food/basic necessities, you’re at $1600. What exactly am I missing that makes $1500 an insurmountable figure to save up?
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:18 pm
Why not ?

Dude some people are legit poor, make like $20K per year but still have to get to work to pay their bills, most of the country has shit/nonexistent public transport.
If they make $20k a year they should walk, or get a trailer and live next to work for a bit. You can’t afford a car on 20k a year. And if you must have one ... $1500 shouldn’t take more than 3/4 months to save up.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm

If you don’t have $1500 to your name how exactly will you survive ? $1200 a month is like the average rent ... $400 for food/basic necessities, you’re at $1600. What exactly am I missing that makes $1500 an insurmountable figure to save up?
Minimum wage job is like $1500 take home a month at best... so you've got $800 for some cheap rent, $400 for food, $200 for other bills like trac phone, insurance, etc. $100 left for whatever happens. Most don't have the self control to never spend that $100. Imagine if you had $100/month for absolutely anything enjoyable, you would likely spend it. It's easy to talk the talk about saving a lot when you make like $250K/year or whatever, or even $75/year.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:24 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Minimum wage job is like $1500 take home a month at best... so you've got $800 for some cheap rent, $400 for food, $200 for other bills like trac phone, insurance, etc. $100 left for whatever happens. Most don't have the self control to never spend that $100. Imagine if you had $100/month for absolutely anything enjoyable, you would likely spend it. It's easy to talk the talk about saving a lot when you make like $250K/year or whatever, or even $75/year.
I know exactly what it’s like I started at $7.75 an hr. And I didn’t go to spend more than what I had. My point is if you’re that poor you need to act accordingly. Just because i make more doesn't mean I need to feel "SORRY" for these poeple. I am sure Bill gates cries in his sleep for all of us.

Personal responsibility, do what you can, hussle, get another job, another education. There are so many great opportunities, if you can't do anything outside of minimum wage in this country I DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR YOU. And you pointing the finger at me won't do a thing, how the FK is my pay relevant to other peoples fuck ups/lack of accomplishments in life?

I am not their dad and I am NOT RESPONSIBLE for them. But if they can't manage their money and I have to bail them out because "they need a new engine" fuck em. That's on THEM not me.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Reread this thread, i feel like a different human from who I was in October. Anyone else there with me? Is it possible this is actually bettering us all? Do we need adversity and challenges to be our true to ourselves?

Me in October... would love a green Chally with a 392 Hemi

Me now... I think my wife and I should split driving the Gorf until the wheels fall off of it since it's paid off and one insurance policy would save us $.

RIP :plac:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:Reread this thread, i feel like a different human from who I was in October. Anyone else there with me? Is it possible this is actually bettering us all? Do we need adversity and challenges to be our true to ourselves?

Me now... I think my wife and I should split driving the Gorf until the wheels fall off of it since it's paid off and one insurance policy would save us $.

Our spending is down to almost nothing at this point. I'm really optimistic that the pandemic will be our ticket to freedom, just waiting to see if that turns out to be true. If it does, then our spending will likely double very quickly (on housing and entertainment, not cars) and all will be well in our world.

I'm guessing that it's about 50/50 but we're due for a break.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:04 pm
Tarspin wrote:Reread this thread, i feel like a different human from who I was in October. Anyone else there with me? Is it possible this is actually bettering us all? Do we need adversity and challenges to be our true to ourselves?

Our spending is down to almost nothing at this point. I'm really optimistic that the pandemic will be our ticket to freedom, just waiting to see if that turns out to be true. If it does, then our spending will likely double very quickly (on housing and entertainment, not cars) and all will be well in our world.

I'm guessing that it's about 50/50 but we're due for a break.
So things I'm hearing from other commoners:

-house prices will drop 30%
-interest rates will spike
-this thing will slow us down HARD for three years

I mean, even if it's fear mongering or people just expecting the worst there will be a big fallout coming. If you guys are sitting on sidelined cash and see a serious dip in housing then that dip could be great.

The magnitude of this thing is so big that even I'm kind of scared, and I'm a really optimistic goal oriented person usually.

A wise "conspiracy" type dude once told me that the Depression is coming (back in 2009) and knew a bit about puts/shorts/bonds/etc and said that the best thing to do is reduce debt. Just get rid of it anyway possible.

The smart me wants to sell the cottage NOW. The capital from that could drop my debt load on our primary residence to piddly shit. But I can't rationalize the inflation curve and whether or not i should sell into that whenever it comes.

I hope you guys get a break, you're positioned well for it.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I don't generally give a fuck what happens to housing or the market, the break that I'm hoping for is that 100% remote employment opportunities become common enough for us to have them.

If all of our cash disappears and we have to pay $3k/mo to rent a decent place in a decent city that's "fine" - as long as we have fucking jobs that allow us to live where we want vs being chained to an office for no god damn reason.

Short term my hope/plan is: Wife keeps her current job. She's been working 100% remote for 8 weeks now and the government mandate currently runs through what will be the 10th week of 100% remote work. With some luck, she can convince the boss to make the remote status permanent and we can move South this Fall, likely a rental in Charlotte. The boss allowing this is the lucky break that I'm pinning my hopes and dreams on, it's that possible future which is keeping me from being totally miserable right now. 10+ weeks of no impact to job performance has to be a long enough trial to prove that it will work. 3/4 of her team isn't even in this country anyway, it was fucking insane that we had to live here even before the virus.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:53 pm Reread this thread, i feel like a different human from who I was in October. Anyone else there with me? Is it possible this is actually bettering us all? Do we need adversity and challenges to be our true to ourselves?

I don’t know ... this affects everyone differently.

I still want a :taco:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 pm I don't generally give a fuck what happens to housing or the market, the break that I'm hoping for is that 100% remote employment opportunities become common enough for us to have them.

If all of our cash disappears and we have to pay $3k/mo to rent a decent place in a decent city that's "fine" - as long as we have fucking jobs that allow us to live where we want vs being chained to an office for no god damn reason.

Short term my hope/plan is: Wife keeps her current job. She's been working 100% remote for 8 weeks now and the government mandate currently runs through what will be the 10th week of 100% remote work. With some luck, she can convince the boss to make the remote status permanent and we can move South this Fall, likely a rental in Charlotte. The boss allowing this is the lucky break that I'm pinning my hopes and dreams on, it's that possible future which is keeping me from being totally miserable right now. 10+ weeks of no impact to job performance has to be a long enough trial to prove that it will work. 3/4 of her team isn't even in this country anyway, it was fucking insane that we had to live here even before the virus.
Hope this happens.

We’re hoping to move this year as well... womanz new gig (since I’m a bitch too and my woman makes more than me), is on the peninsula and we can’t Afford $1600 a sq foot. And commuting is 2 hrs each way.... from reasonable places ... which hopefully we can finally get.

But now the fear is everyone is doing the same shit, tons of people are trying to leave sf...