Melons Truk Tribulations

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

A few thoughts from my white/Asian ass:

1. assRAMmer > all in the modern full sizers
2. Full size :truk: would be a terrible daily
3. You don't seem to enjoy dailying a truck. You've considered buying my Beemah, an SS, all kinds of other daily vehicles, perhaps this is an opp to get somthing more fun?

Does the woman want to drive a :truk: ? Perhaps you could get something somewhat nice for $15-20k (at least an upgrade over the Camry) and pick up a 335i or something as a DD? Or get a cheap :truk: to tow with, like $10k used full sizer, and use the payment on a more fun daily ride?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I know of a purple manual SS for sale.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

CaleDeRoo wrote: ↑Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 pm I know of a purple manual SS for sale.
I was tempted to make an offer on that SS, but my inner :scrooge: took over when I looked at the numbers.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:41 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: ↑Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 pm I know of a purple manual SS for sale.
I was tempted to make an offer on that SS, but my inner :scrooge: took over when I looked at the numbers.
Should have bought the Allbroke so he'd keep the πŸ†
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: ↑Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:16 pm A few thoughts from my white/Asian ass:

3. You don't seem to enjoy dailying a truck. You've considered buying my Beemah, an SS, all kinds of other daily vehicles, perhaps this is an opp to get somthing more fun?

Does the woman want to drive a :truk: ? Perhaps you could get something somewhat nice for $15-20k (at least an upgrade over the Camry) and pick up a 335i or something as a DD? Or get a cheap :truk: to tow with, like $10k used full sizer, and use the payment on a more fun daily ride?
RAM lease is the most attractive option for me, NFG trukin'

I don't want to say "need" but I do use the fuck out of my truck. I tow to TN, I haul motorcycles, I move shit, I tow utility trailers, so having a truck around is nice.
Also, a luxo truck is super nice when towing to TN, it's a fucking cakewalk towing up there driving the truk, by far the most comfortable vehicle I've driven.

Jessi would take my truck in a heartbeat, but it's too much for her.

I am considering something more fun as a daily, and that's why if I did make a move, I'd like something with a manual.

A decent full sizer is around 20k, I could slide into one, with some equity leftover from the Canyon, so that's a thing.
Also, all funds are being saved right now for a new house, that's the goal for early 2021, new :melon: dwelling.
4zilch wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SS's are still over 40k used.

:nope:

Honestly, I'd E39 M5, they're seeming to be around 20-25k, and that's one hell of a V8 under the hood.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:05 am SS's are still over 40k used.

Honestly, I'd E39 M5, they're seeming to be around 20-25k, and that's one hell of a V8 under the hood.
:amazing: :bravo: :jimp:
Desertbreh wrote: ↑Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

E39 M3 is an incredible car. :notsure: on it as a daily though.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 am

E39 M3 is an incredible car. :notsure: on it as a daily though.
Yea, :notsure: I'd depend on anything that old as a DD...
Desertbreh wrote: ↑Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

E39 would be C5 replacement. The S62 is pretty bulletproof doe.

I'm not giving up on the truk life yet, it's a meh daily, but it's comfy as fuuuuuk
I'm hoping the fluid flush does the deal and I can move on, or it's a bandaid that works long enough for a GM recall/solution to appear or for the aftermarket to come up with one.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Melon wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:34 am E39 would be C5 replacement. The S62 is pretty bulletproof doe.

I'm not giving up on the truk life yet, it's a meh daily, but it's comfy as fuuuuuk
I'm hoping the fluid flush does the deal and I can move on, or it's a bandaid that works long enough for a GM recall/solution to appear or for the aftermarket to come up with one.
You can’t be serious about that s62 comment ...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Melon wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:05 am
D Griff wrote: ↑Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:16 pm A few thoughts from my white/Asian ass:

I don't want to say "need" but I do use the fuck out of my truck. I tow to TN, I haul motorcycles, I move shit, I tow utility trailers, so having a truck around is nice.
Also, a luxo truck is super nice when towing to TN, it's a fucking cakewalk towing up there driving the truk, by far the most comfortable vehicle I've driven.

I am considering something more fun as a daily, and that's why if I did make a move, I'd like something with a manual.

A decent full sizer is around 20k, I could slide into one, with some equity leftover from the Canyon, so that's a thing.
Also, all funds are being saved right now for a new house, that's the goal for early 2021, new :melon: dwelling.
All logical. How much warranty is left on the truck?
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I feel you on the comfy shit. And the space. While I love my Silverado, the only thing I don't like is the gas mileage and shitty gearing. The cargo space is pure awesome tho, it's the reason I need a crew cab in my next truck because when I haul my bass gear to gigs and there's a chance of rain I need that rear space to put it all in an enclosed area away from the wet.
I rarely use the truck bed, so it can be a short bed. Getting back into the truck was a nice change of pace from the GTI where it was like driving a boat that I could just paw paw my way to work in and baby it and not care about zipping around traffic constantly.

I hope they address the tranny issue at the top level soon. I look at these trucks weekly to see if any deals pop up even tho I'm not ready to buy yet, and the reviews from people are just bombing them for this tranny when it finally does go wrong.
I did see a ZR2 pop up for $26K yesterday tho. And even tho I don't need the 4wd I was kinda intrigued with that price.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/
Last edited by Acid666 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

CaleDeRoo wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:46 am
Huckleberry wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:41 am

I bought the Nein Fo Fo.

ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:23 am I feel you on the comfy shit. And the space. While I love my Silverado, the only thing I don't like is the gas mileage and shitty gearing. The cargo space is pure awesome tho, it's the reason I need a crew cab in my next truck because when I haul my bass gear to gigs and there's a chance of rain I need that rear space to put it all in an enclosed area away from the wet.
I rarely use the truck bed, so it can be a short bed. Getting back into the truck was a nice change of pace from the GTI where it was like driving a boat that I could just paw paw my way to work in and baby it and not care about zipping around traffic constantly.

I hope they address the tranny issue at the top level soon. I look at these trucks weekly to see if any deals pop up even tho I'm not ready to buy yet, and the reviews from people are just bombing them for this tranny when it finally does go wrong.
I did see a ZR2 pop up for $26K yesterday tho. And even tho I don't need the 4wd I was kinda intrigued with that price.
Why not get a Tahoe?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:38 am
Melon wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:34 am E39 would be C5 replacement. The S62 is pretty bulletproof doe.

They seem to be less high strung than the S54.
:iono:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:59 am
Melon wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:05 am

Bought it in 10/17 with 3/36
So a little more than 1 year, and 16k miles.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 am
Acid666 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:23 am I feel you on the comfy shit. And the space. While I love my Silverado, the only thing I don't like is the gas mileage and shitty gearing. The cargo space is pure awesome tho, it's the reason I need a crew cab in my next truck because when I haul my bass gear to gigs and there's a chance of rain I need that rear space to put it all in an enclosed area away from the wet.

Why not get a Tahoe?
If i didn't haul motocycles, I'd consider a Tahoe.
They tow 7k lbs and are super lush on the highway.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 am

Why not get a Tahoe?
I had a 4dr blazer and never needed FULL suv coverage. I'd rather have the full size of a crew cab and a truck bed. The crew cab is big enough for my to shove my 6X10 cabinet in it along with 2 basses and amp and other shit. I've got a canvas bed cover that I can put on it the bed but I'm weary of the outside sealing and water getting in. If we have a gig in town and there's 0% chance of rain I just chunk it in the bed. My cab for my 610 is about mid chest high. My 810 cab is maybe a little shorter than shoulder level.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:23 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:46 am

I bought the Nein Fo Fo.

Right I always forget about that car which is weird because it was driven so much.

Wait that's not right :hue:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Melon wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:29 am
max225 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:38 am

They have even more issues... look up what happens with the carbon in that engine ...
They still spin the rod bearings... and they still use that epic 10w60 $18 a quart oil
And 8 throttle bodies

:thisisfine:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Big Brain Bradley wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:59 am

Looks like no real reason to do anything for a year or so, just ride out the majority of your warranty, unless the deal of the decade shows up on your doorstep
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:47 am

They have even more issues... look up what happens with the carbon in that engine ...
They still spin the rod bearings... and they still use that epic 10w60 $18 a quart oil
And 8 throttle bodies

Y'all might be talking about different things.

We know a dude with nearly 200k on his m5 and he beats the piss out of the car
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Looks like no real reason to do anything for a year or so, just ride out the majority of your warranty, unless the deal of the decade shows up on your doorstep
:dat:

It's highly unlikely I'll make a move soon, unless I just get the runaround from both :dillerman: in town. Then I might just out of frustration, but I have some faith.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:47 am

And 8 throttle bodies

Oil test is a thing, there's an aftermarket solution to the oil buildup issue.
The oil is what it is, it's not a DD, so at most I'm changing the oil in my weekend cruisers twice a year.

I'll do more looking though.