Favorite Car

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:45 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:36 pm So many deets. I should do up a better list and include the :butwhy: for each one.

Edit:
I still love my 1990 240SX the most, learned to wrench on it, drove it four actual seasons, which taught me how to handle a rwd car in snow (el-drifto). Light, fun, could fit four people in a pinch, memories of drive-ins (etc) with girl friends, autox it with a buddy who owned an 84 Fiero, I sucked but fun times were had.., and the thing was ridiculously reliable and nicer inside and outside then many modern day offerings and way better then the :poorvette: which was manufactured fifteen years later. It had three pedals with good steering, brake and clutch feedback and 140hp on donkey piss that back then cost me less then half of what it costs now. It was essentially a Toyota 86 of its day. It needed a LSD and a turbo kit but it got written off by a BMW douchebro before I could afford the upgrade. Got almost all of my money back from insurance buy out, I wasn't in the car when it got hit... fond night, crappy morning.

Next in line, hmm.

17 :gorf: , hands down a very practical, well appointed, and quick vehicle that handled the first 50k miles like a champ. Service is good, the car just never fails at anything thrown at it by moi. The DSG propels it into the next price category of performance with very little to sacrifice. New dishwasher, just pull the car seats and cheerios residue and slide the bitch in. Premium fuel is a bummer, everything else is :tits:

05 C6, manual, zero depreciation, very analog. The clutch was decently communicative, steering was good, the car felt tight to a point, and the noises from the catback were :jizz: . It was also a wicked experience to drive around roof down, with the performance of a motorcycle but the safety of a car. It had terrible weight distribution, corvettes going mid-engine are the right move IMO.. and it is primarily why it gets knocked down below the Gorf, plus it really isn't reliable or practical as an only car mainly because it isn't a convertible, no back seats, and only usable three seasons.

12 Golf TDI. Loaded/actual leather/900km per fill at donkey piss pricing or slightly above in the winter. The car had a DSG (which didn't work well with the very brake heavy engine), got a stage 1 APR t00n, and Koni yellows + DG Springs. I set the shocks to quite soft and the car rode like a MF champ. VMR810 18" wheels. This car was a corporate usage vehicle, it made me money for 100k and sold back to VW for 50% of a :gorf: pre tax and fees. I need to do something like this again soon, maybe even get another TDI and since we dont do emissions testing anymore just gut out the cats/piss/etc.

2002 Dodge Durango, I get the :jeep: , this thing was kind of like it with fat mudders on it. I mean I could hop curbs and islands in any mall instead of weave in and out of actual designated "lanes". It was black on tan leather and had the 5.9 :dedong: fill ups were $100/canuckians every four days.

04 Acura TL, this bitch has had two repairs since 2005, a leaky steering fluid hose which I fixed with my dad (mom still drives it now).

Everything after these cars listed above is downright depressing, with the 2010 Mazda Protege and 2007 Dodge Caliber being the absolute rock bottom in my car ownership experience. They both had a few great attributes but were a true fail. The 1987 Nissan Sentra I drove first was better than both.
:nice: write up!

:butwhy: is 50/50 weight distribution bad?
Good point, it isn't the weight distribution that felt off, hard to explain maybe it has a high polar moment of inertia which makes the car feel resistive to directional changes for how sporty it is. Maybe it was something else (unsupportive seats, softly set suspension on the base model, tars or a combo of all three) that made it feel less sporty in twisties then it should for what it is. Fantastic car otherwise.

I used to take it through a snake like road system north of me called the Forks of the Credit and at times the road would dip and the car would almost go airborne LOL. Before it would settle the car would gyrate and I found myself counter steering to keep it rubber side down. Never felt that with any other car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:31 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:45 am

:nice: write up!

:butwhy: is 50/50 weight distribution bad?
Good point, it isn't the weight distribution that felt off, hard to explain maybe it has a high polar moment of inertia which makes the car feel resistive to directional changes for how sporty it is. Maybe it was something else (unsupportive seats, softly set suspension on the base model, tars or a combo of all three) that made it feel less sporty in twisties then it should for what it is. Fantastic car otherwise.

I used to take it through a snake like road system north of me called the Forks of the Credit and at times the road would dip and the car would almost go airborne LOL. Before it would settle the car would gyrate and I found myself counter steering to keep it rubber side down. Never felt that with any other car.
:notwrong:

The C5 really benefits from a few simple things, square tires, smaller steering wheel, alignment, sway bar beef up. C6 May be similar?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:24 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:31 am

The C5 really benefits from a few simple things, square tires, smaller steering wheel, alignment, sway bar beef up. C6 May be similar?
Yeah if I had more time with it I would have added stickier and/or wider front tars and better seats. The sport alignment did help a bit too. It is a good car with the right mods.

I sold it to shore up more money, it was good enough to have kept long term if that weren't the case.

I do want to get another fun sports car down the road, but haven't figured out what it will be yet.. early 1990s gen MR2 is always on my radar but they are pretty old at this point and I really don't have enough time to for fixing my own cars, too much shit on my plate.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:24 am

Yeah if I had more time with it I would have added stickier and/or wider front tars and better seats. The sport alignment did help a bit too. It is a good car with the right mods.

I sold it to shore up more money, it was good enough to have kept long term if that weren't the case.

I do want to get another fun sports car down the road, but haven't figured out what it will be yet.. early 1990s gen MR2 is always on my radar but they are pretty old at this point and I really don't have enough time to for fixing my own cars, too much shit on my plate.
Those are so awesome. You’re right though, I’m sure they’re reliable enough but anything 15-20+ years old requires fairly constant care. Somewhat doable with American and Japanese cars to me, full :nope: on most European shit.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:42 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 am

Those are so awesome. You’re right though, I’m sure they’re reliable enough but anything 15-20+ years old requires fairly constant care. Somewhat doable with American and Japanese cars to me, full :nope: on most European shit.
Agreed man, nicely sorted Japanese and special, mid-engine or some feature that makes it a neat experience to drive.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:01 pm This isn't bad at all actually..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mon ... nFlag=true
Seems like the handbrake would get in the way of your shifting hand, though probably less once it's down, but still...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:10 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:01 pm This isn't bad at all actually..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mon ... nFlag=true
Seems like the handbrake would get in the way of your shifting hand, though probably less once it's down, but still...
A little shaft caressing my arm each time I shift gears :excited:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:10 pm

:hubba: :gaydance:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:23 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 pm

:hubba: :gaydance:
Cars and homosexuality are easily the most polar opposite combo on the planet. #dfd #greatestforumintheworld