Official C8 Bread.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Oh man yeah I don't think I've ever made it more than 10 mins into a TST podcast. I do however watch his short reviews. Since he drives every car on nearly the same roads I trust his ability to compare them. The C8 is growing on me if only for the perceived driving experience. Couldn't really care about his panel gap complaints in that video. If you buy a Corvette you should know what you're buying.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:49 pm https://youtu.be/GwQPsvXUvuM
I like Matt Farah, but he would really benefit from learning how this stuff works.

Something like a gap between panels is not that GM doesn't know how to do it, or it's just poor quality. You pick and choose allowable tolerances based on manufacturing process and cost. Because one gap is larger in a general area compared to another car in the same area (ie, comparing A-pillar garnish to dash gap between two cars) says nothing of quality, or repeatability, but more about design and manufacturability.

It pains to watch videos like this.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

MrH42 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:42 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:49 pm https://youtu.be/GwQPsvXUvuM
I like Matt Farah, but he would really benefit from learning how this stuff works.

Something like a gap between panels is not that GM doesn't know how to do it, or it's just poor quality. You pick and choose allowable tolerances based on manufacturing process and cost. Because one gap is larger in a general area compared to another car in the same area (ie, comparing A-pillar garnish to dash gap between two cars) says nothing of quality, or repeatability, but more about design and manufacturability.

It pains to watch videos like this.
:bravo: :dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

It's so stupid. He wants to compare panel gaps from something like a McLaren, which is a tiny volume car, using a $20k+ carbon fiber tub and hand wrapped interior panels to a base spec Corvette. The manufacturing processes for these cars almost couldn't be more different. The Corvette is going to be almost 10 times as much volume as all of McLaren, and costs a fraction of what any McLaren does.

The fact that they're both mid engine sports cars is really the only similarity, which means nothing when it comes to panel gaps.

God bless GM for making this thing. Seems like absolutely massive amount of car for the dollar. Seriously, even if I won a couple million bucks in the lottery, I would have a hard time justifying getting something other than a C8 Z51 convertible.
Last edited by MrH42 on Tue May 05, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MrH42 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:51 pm It's so stupid. He wants to compare panel gaps from something like a McLaren, which is a tiny volume car, using a $20k+ carbon fiber tub and hand wrapped interior panels to a base spec Corvette. The manufacturing processes for these cars almost couldn't be more different. The Corvette is going to be almost 10 times as much volume as all of McLaren, and costs a fraction of what any McLaren does.

The fact that they're both mid engine sports cars is really the only similarity, which means nothing when it comes to panel gaps.

God bless GM for making this thing. Seems like absolutely massive amount of car for the dollar. Seriously, even if I won a couple million bucks in the lottery, I would have a hard time justifying getting something other than a C8 Z51 convertible.
Who is comparing a corvette to a mcChicken ? Proper comparison is probably evora now and cayman
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 am
MrH42 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:51 pm It's so stupid. He wants to compare panel gaps from something like a McLaren, which is a tiny volume car, using a $20k+ carbon fiber tub and hand wrapped interior panels to a base spec Corvette. The manufacturing processes for these cars almost couldn't be more different. The Corvette is going to be almost 10 times as much volume as all of McLaren, and costs a fraction of what any McLaren does.

Who is comparing a corvette to a mcChicken ? Proper comparison is probably evora now and cayman
Matt Farah was comparing the corvette to all sorts of stuff in regards to panel gaps. That GM 'still isn't there' kind of talk. As if they don't know how to accomplish this.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:54 pm
Matt Farah was comparing the corvette to all sorts of stuff in regards to panel gaps. That GM 'still isn't there' kind of talk. As if they don't know how to accomplish this.
Yep... C8 is great, but I can't beat the stigma...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I blame all of this on him having rich parents :lolol: he’s a bit disconnected from the common man, but I do listen to the podcast some. Zach Clapman is hilarious.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:36 pm

I blame all of this on him having rich parents :lolol: he’s a bit disconnected from the common man, but I do listen to the podcast some. Zach Clapman is hilarious.
Having a dad that is 2nd in command @ the worlds greatest Jewelry store certainly has some perks.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:36 pm

Yeah, I still listen to him. I like his driving impressions, but when he tries to get technical, it falls apart pretty quickly. Zach has his moments for sure.