Official C8 Bread.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:53 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:44 pm

You don't put that much down on a production engine with SAE certification. This has to be a custom built ringer. Will be difficult to repro that on a production car, and by difficult I really mean almost likely impossible.
Yea well something just doesn’t add up ... Porsche has ludicrous 0-60 thanks to awd and the engine in the back. The C8 doing it in the same time is :notsure:
The rwd C2S does exactly the same numbers but with even higher mph in the 1/4 mi
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:angry:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Or...

...they're lying.

:butwhy: tho?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also MT stated they put a Cummins Ram on afterwards and it showed 790tq or so, however you can't Dyno a diesel truck the same way you would a gasoline car. There was no explanation in the article saying they increased load on the Dyno for the truck which is what you need to do otherwise they don't build enough boost due to running out of RPM before the turbo is fully spooled. I would bet real life money that if the shop had done that the truck would have read somewhere in the four digit range. That would be if everything was even set up/input correctly for the Corvette in the first place. There's just 0% chance that the car they tested was a "ringer" making "600hp+" unless the Porsche they tested against also makes 550+hp since it was actually faster than the same Corvette that went on the Dyno. MT is just seizing the opportunity for more clicks with a botched Dyno test.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ch ... =instagram

Dyno parameters were botched. No fucking shit. MT should have never published that embarrassing click bait article.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 pm https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ch ... =instagram

Dyno parameters were botched. No fucking shit. MT should have never published that embarrassing click bait article.
Fucking morons. Goes to show you how much you should TRUST your fellow motor-trend reccos on what's "THE BEST CAR" or "CAR OF THE YEAR" or anything whatsoever, journalistic integrity of 0.

Also 395hp and 350 wheel hp and 2.9 0-60... :yeahok: I want to see that reproduced.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:52 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 pm https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ch ... =instagram

Fucking morons. Goes to show you how much you should TRUST your fellow motor-trend reccos on what's "THE BEST CAR" or "CAR OF THE YEAR" or anything whatsoever, journalistic integrity of 0.

Also 395hp and 350 wheel hp and 2.9 0-60... :yeahok: I want to see that reproduced.
I mean, dynos are pretty worthless measure of any motor vehicle. Yes, you'll lose power to the wheels due to parasitic losses, traction, poor dyno setup, ambient conditions, and operator error. If it's higher or lower than expected, I pretty must suspect any of the above issues. :whocares:

I can't remember the last time I decided to throw a bike on the dyno instead of going to the track or nearby fun road.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Dyno's are good for getting a base line, and for tuning.
1/4 mile times are also good for the same.

Someone done goofed.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

4zilch wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:05 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:52 pm

I mean, dynos are pretty worthless measure of any motor vehicle. Yes, you'll lose power to the wheels due to parasitic losses, traction, poor dyno setup, ambient conditions, and operator error. If it's higher or lower than expected, I pretty must suspect any of the above issues. :whocares:

I can't remember the last time I decided to throw a bike on the dyno instead of going to the track or nearby fun road.
While I agree, there seems to be a general lack of "standard" when it comes to "rating" engines, it is supposed to be according to SAE etc. Yet some manufacturers put out :fakenews: numbers ala Mustang cobra from 99 etc. So having a dyno test measure the numbers is quite interesting. Hyundai/Kia over/rate and BMW/MB/Porsche under/rate their figures.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
4zilch wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:05 pm I mean, dynos are pretty worthless measure of any motor vehicle. Yes, you'll lose power to the wheels due to parasitic losses, traction, poor dyno setup, ambient conditions, and operator error. If it's higher or lower than expected, I pretty must suspect any of the above issues. :whocares:

While I agree, there seems to be a general lack of "standard" when it comes to "rating" engines, it is supposed to be according to SAE etc. Yet some manufacturers put out :fakenews: numbers ala Mustang cobra from 99 etc. So having a dyno test measure the numbers is quite interesting. Hyundai/Kia over/rate and BMW/MB/Porsche under/rate their figures.
There are standards but most people don't follow them.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:43 pm
max225 wrote:
There are standards but most people don't follow them.
Same goes for MPG. The recent "advertised" figures are close to :fakenews: for a lot of the major brands.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Melon wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:08 pm Dyno's are good for getting a base line, and for tuning.
1/4 mile times are also good for the same.

Someone done goofed.
:dat:

Same dyno, same settings, using SAE correction with a weather station will give excellent before/after numbers for mods. Otherwise it's not important. If it reads 400 HP or 900HP it doesn't matter as long as it is consistent and repeatable.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So, I got to check out a Z51 car up close and personal yesterday.

Initial thoughts after spending about an hour checking it out:

Positives:
  • Lines look pretty good, as well as the overall shape of the car.
  • Exterior looks and fit and finish are pretty good, especially for a first year Corvette.
  • Still identifiable as a Corvette.
  • Exhaust sounds great outside the car with NPP.
  • Display cluster is very bright and looks great.

Neutrals:
  • On this car, white is not the way to go.
  • Stripes are not my thing.
  • The nose of the car has a good amount of overhang, and the front comes to a V with the center nose being a good 6-8 inches in front of the sides of the bumper. W/O the axle lift that bitch is going to scrape the splitter like crazy.

Negatives:
  • Car has an overall feeling of being "unfinished" on the inside and a few points on the outside.
  • Steering wheel is goofy. Sorry, but it just is.
  • Cheap looking silver plastics on the doors by the speakers and window controls. Seriously cheap looking.. really disappointing.
  • The exterior door vents look pretty bad when you look into them from the front of the car. You see hardware, clearly. looks like an unfinished prototype.
  • Engine compartment view from the glass cover is ruined by the ugly exhaust manifolds and O2 sensors. They really blew it here trying to make it pretty with carbon fiber, but leaving very ugly OEM exhaust manifolds that come up over the engine directly in view.
  • The mag ride shocks in the rear are very close to the corners of the engine bay and have the control wires sticking straight up and looping down. They stand up about 2-3 inched over the shock boot cover and will eventually get snagged. They should have used a 90 degree connector to clean that up.
  • Front radiators are like my GTS, up front and open to any debris. This one already looks like it has as many rock strikes on the radiators as my GTS has after a year.
  • Obviously the interior is polarizing to many. I didn't hate the center console/divider as much as I thought from pics. However it isn't great by any means.
  • The seats are smashed up against the center console, like zero gap, but there's a good 2-3 inches on the outboard side between the door and seat.
  • The passenger side mirror stalk is about 2" longer than the driver side to be able to see over the side intake. I think this might drive me crazy since I noticed it and will always see it now.

They really will need to address most of the negatives and add a manual transmission for me to buy the Z06/ZR1 version.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
max225

An unfinished corvette :doomed: no way .... did you get to drive it btw?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:21 pm An unfinished corvette :doomed: no way .... did you get to drive it btw?
No, it was a "special" :rolleyes: car and the owner didn't even want to let my friend that detailed it have the keys at first. This was fully a non-touch experience, but that was fine to me. Also not really hyped about sitting in or touching anyone else's car without their consent.

It's the one online that has gotten attention because he and his wife paid to order the VIN to match their 1953.

Oh, I forgot one negative that I will add to the list...

The passenger side mirror stalk is about 2" longer than the driver side to be able to see over the side intake. I think this might drive me crazy since I noticed it and will always see it now.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:43 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:21 pm An unfinished corvette :doomed: no way .... did you get to drive it btw?
No, it was a "special" :rolleyes: car and the owner didn't even want to let my friend that detailed it have the keys.

It's the one online that has gotten attention because he and his wife paid to order the VIN to match their 1953.

Oh, I forgot one negative that I will add to the list...

The passenger side mirror stalk is about 2" longer than the driver side to be able to see over the side intake. I think this might drive me crazy since I noticed it and will always see it now.
Much wow. Yep I heard all the reviewers mention it.

Too bad production is shut down etc and this thing won’t be produced in the regular :fullretard: 30k a year corvette numbers so us peasants may not see it on the cheap for a while.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The mirror thing is pretty typical of higher end mid engine cars. Some are not only longer, but farther forward on the car body.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:46 pm The mirror thing is pretty typical of higher end mid engine cars. Some are not only longer, but farther forward on the car body.
Yeah, just saying it's noticeable and will bug me, but I did kinda get over the plastic fender extensions on my Z07.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Cool pic. Thumbs down on white with black stripes.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:13 pm Cool pic. Thumbs down on white with black stripes.
#HERITAGE
#NEWBALANCE
#KNEEHIGHSOCKS
#SHORTS
#GETOFFMYLAWN
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:49 pm https://youtu.be/GwQPsvXUvuM
This man has started to seriously annoy TF out of me.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:50 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:49 pm https://youtu.be/GwQPsvXUvuM
I've found myself not listening to the podcast.

Even though I'm not driving, I usually have something on in my office and I keep skipping over TST episodes. Not really sure why, but lately I've just not wanted to listen to it for some reason.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:13 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:50 pm

Even though I'm not driving, I usually have something on in my office and I keep skipping over TST episodes. Not really sure why, but lately I've just not wanted to listen to it for some reason.
Yea... last time I got gas was 3.27.20.... and my baby dick fuel tank only lasts 270 miles or so... :notsure: when I am getting my next fill up. I did fill up the woman's car which has been easier to use as she parks in front of me..
Yay 10 year old acura TSX FTW :disgust:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:16 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Yea... last time I got gas was 3.27.20.... and my baby dick fuel tank only lasts 270 miles or so... :notsure: when I am getting my next fill up. I did fill up the woman's car which has been easier to use as she parks in front of me..
Yay 10 year old acura TSX FTW :disgust:
Yeah, I'm about the same on the Golf R. I filled the 911 up in March just to top it off.

The Jeep is still getting worked out, been going to/from Arizona in it.