Car Talk 1: Passengers matter

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Calvinball wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: I don't live in Manayunk doe. Actually. The hardest hill I have to take in the snow is on S. Broad St where it crosses under I-76. That's like a solid 6' hill.
I personally never attempted driving on the summers. There were those who swear it was fine, and others who swear they were all over the place.

But think of it this way, having an STI in the snow without winters is like going for a bike ride in jeans and a winter coat. Sure, it'll work, but you'd have a lot more fun and go a lot better in your spandex.
Well. It's a dice roll of saving $800-1200 on a $35k car. On one side you could be fine. On the other you total your $35k car.

So is saving $800-1200 worth it?
Johnny_P

Davestr wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
What is winter? I thought that went away with global warming
I thought the same in Westlake Village and the O.C. when I lived there LOL
Max's winter is 50F and seat heaters on the highest setting. :plac:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote:
Davestr wrote:
I thought the same in Westlake Village and the O.C. when I lived there LOL
Max's winter is 50F and seat heaters on the highest setting. :plac:
50F is a "cold" day. It rarely gets this low.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Johnny_P wrote:
Calvinball wrote:
I personally never attempted driving on the summers. There were those who swear it was fine, and others who swear they were all over the place.

But think of it this way, having an STI in the snow without winters is like going for a bike ride in jeans and a winter coat. Sure, it'll work, but you'd have a lot more fun and go a lot better in your spandex.
Well. It's a dice roll of saving $800-1200 on a $35k car. On one side you could be fine. On the other you total your $35k car.

So is saving $800-1200 worth it?
:dat:
:therapist:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
What is winter? I thought that went away with global warming
Winter is way more mild than it was when I was a kid. I feel old saying that but its true. The days of the Halloween snow storm are long gone. Philly gets maybe 3-5 decent snowfalls a year anymore with typically 1 or 2 being rather intense.
Only takes 1 small accident to thrash yo new ride! Winter tires work as function of temp. Below 7C you get much better traction vs anything else. No seasons just dont hack it either. Id run winters from Dec to end of Feb there if I was you. You probably dont get much cold weather in March eh?
max225

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
I hope they don't crush it... but who knows... it would be a real shame.
I thought that's what they were doing???

Maybe they'll just ship them to Russia and re-sell them.
No way... it would be insane to crush them. These things are mostly still good cars... but you never know.

They don't HAVE to crush them, but they do have to modify them before reselling to make sure they pass emissions.
Davestr

From an Edmunds test - Dont go no season tires mang - https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/fea ... ummer.html

Wet Test Results
As with the snow test, it takes a purpose-built test surface to get meaningful and accurate wet test results. What's needed is a large flat VDA with a special asphalt formulation and a water-delivery system that can maintain a uniform depth of water (the approximate thickness of a quarter), so there's a consistent coefficient of friction across the entire surface.

We find it at Arizona Proving Ground (APG) near Phoenix, formerly a Volvo facility and now branded as Ford. Its pristine micro-pool looks gorgeous on this May afternoon as the surrounding mountain peaks, little fluffy clouds and spring sunlight reflect in the glassy surface.

It turns out we can test everything to and from 60 mph here, so for brevity's sake we'll stick to a discussion of those results. Those who want to can find the 40-mph results on the accompanying charts.

Acceleration testing provides the first surprise, as the all-season tire trails the pack with a 15.4-second 0-60 run. The snow tire's 12.7-second effort for 2nd place is significantly better, but the summer tire tops them all with an 11.9-second performance, over 20 percent quicker than the all-season tire. In fact, the all-season tire began encountering trouble near 40 mph, where it had been only 0.4 second behind the summer tire's performance when hydroplaning and wheelspin paid a visit.

Things are much the same when braking from 60 mph. The summer tire's 157-foot stop is the shortest, the snow tires come up 2nd at 181 feet and the all-season tires lag further behind in a flurry of ABS activity on the way to a distance of 215 feet, some 58 feet longer than the summer tire.

On the wet skid pad the summer tire smokes them once more, even delivering a little tire squeal as it churns out 0.81g — a figure many car-tire combinations can't match on dry pavement. The winter tire trails with a 0.71g run characterized by noticeable squirm, presumably from the side loads acting on the numerous sipes in its snow-biased tread pattern. That said, it still bests our all-season tire, which once again brings up the rear with a disappointing 0.65g showing.
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: I don't live in Manayunk doe. Actually. The hardest hill I have to take in the snow is on S. Broad St where it crosses under I-76. That's like a solid 6' hill.

I'm half tempted to do all seasons because winter tires are stupid expensive. $170/tire is nuts.

The G-Force Comp 2 AS that I bought for the GTI are $120 each for example.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Max's winter is 50F and seat heaters on the highest setting. :plac:
Yeah. It was a balmy 40F this morning in Philly.
Calvinball

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Yeah. It was a balmy 40F this morning in Philly.
I haven't even worn a jacket yet.
max225

Calvinball wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Yeah. It was a balmy 40F this morning in Philly.
Whats a jacket? :yikes:
Johnny_P

Davestr wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Winter is way more mild than it was when I was a kid. I feel old saying that but its true. The days of the Halloween snow storm are long gone. Philly gets maybe 3-5 decent snowfalls a year anymore with typically 1 or 2 being rather intense.
Only takes 1 small accident to thrash yo new ride! Winter tires work as function of temp. Below 7C you get much better traction vs anything else. No seasons just dont hack it either. Id run winters from Dec to end of Feb there if I was you. You probably dont get much cold weather in March eh?
The occasional March or April snow storm has happened in the past. Generally by the end of February the big snows are finished.
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Yeah. It was a balmy 40F this morning in Philly.
I've just been using my fleece. Not cold enough for the big boy yet.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Calvinball wrote:
Whats a jacket? :yikes:
And we're not talking about the blazers you wear to go wine tasting :gay:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

We're talking actual summers...like not "high performance all seasons or whatever bs"?

If so, winter tahrs should be considered a must.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr

A quick simple video on no season uselessness - winter accel and braking! From Tire Rack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y
Johnny_P

Davestr wrote:A quick simple video on no season uselessness - winter accel and braking! From Tire Rack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y
Know what the problem with this is? Everyone else on the road has all seasons. So you out-braking someone else just means that in PA you're getting rear ended. They're good for maintaining traction to brake in a straight line, or road holding and emergency maneuvers though.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Likely about $1000 in 3-4 years at this rate. Anything I'd want to replace it with is :waxer: so it ain't happening for a long time.
As long as it runs you'll get at least $2k for it private party.

A Mister 2 isn't that much money is it?
MR2 or similar sports car won't happen until :poorvette: goes away, 2+ more years.

I'd have a hard time giving up the cargo space of the vibe. Everything is a compromise. I really just want 5 vehicles Imageol:

Tiny NFG sports car DD
Small nice-ish GT car
Medium-size GT wagon
Dedicated competition vehicle
5th thing is a rotating :plac: slot
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: As long as it runs you'll get at least $2k for it private party.

A Mister 2 isn't that much money is it?
MR2 or similar sports car won't happen until :poorvette: goes away, 2+ more years.

I'd have a hard time giving up the cargo space of the vibe. Everything is a compromise. I really just want 5 vehicles Imageol:

Tiny NFG sports car DD
Small nice-ish GT car
Medium-size GT wagon
:waxer:

Instead of that just go buy an STI. It does it all!
Calvinball

Detroit wrote:We're talking actual summers...like not "high performance all seasons or whatever bs"?

Yeah STI and WRX come with summers from the factory.
ChrisoftheNorth

Calvinball wrote:
Detroit wrote:We're talking actual summers...like not "high performance all seasons or whatever bs"?

Yeah STI and WRX come with summers from the factory.
:impressive:

Winters, or at least all seasons need to happen.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote:
Melon wrote:
How much would you sell it for?
Likely about $1000 in 3-4 years at this rate. Anything I'd want to replace it with is :waxer: so it ain't happening for a long time.
$1000 for the 2ZZ vibe?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: MR2 or similar sports car won't happen until :poorvette: goes away, 2+ more years.

Tiny NFG sports car DD
Small nice-ish GT car
Medium-size GT wagon
:waxer:

Instead of that just go buy an STI. It does it all!
Already tried that with the S4 V8 6MT luxury wagon breh. :nope:

What I want isn't necessarily much more than your sti...

Sports car - mr2s $10k
Small GT - e46/is300/whatever $10k
Wagon - JSW 2.5 $10k
Competition vehicle - shifter kart $10k
rotating :plac: slot - 250 ninja $2k
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote:
I'd be more worried about stopping.
:dat: It should be the #1 concern.
troyguitar

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Likely about $1000 in 3-4 years at this rate. Anything I'd want to replace it with is :waxer: so it ain't happening for a long time.
$1000 for the 2ZZ vibe?
In 2020 with 200k miles and whatever issues I'm guessing that's all I'll be able to sell it for. Ain't nobody gonna want no :manuel: pontiac wagon that needs premium fuel.