Car Talk 1: Passengers matter

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I also found this guy who apparently imports the same seats but custom orders them with a variety of different cover materials. Cost is a lot more than the ebay PVC and PU "leather" versions but still a lot less than actual recaros. IIRC it's around $1k a pair depending on your choice of options. He markets them specifically to NC miata guys and even has an option to include direct fit brackets for those. A leather+suede pair in an NC2 PRHT club would be an awesome DD.

http://www.motor-o-polis.com/

Look under MX-5 Interior and "R-Style sport seats"
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote:Looks like we're probably bringing the vibe up next weekend so you can sit in it if you want. It might be too short for you in the shoulders.
Yeah, the Floodrolla is pretty small. I can fit in it for sure, comfortably, but it's pushing the limits of mow much :melon: an econobox can hold.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:Here's the set that I have bookmarked if I can make them fit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Driver-Passenge ... 5731.m3795

They're about the same weight as stock seats so no weight savings, but comfort level is :mindblown: at least for me. The alternative is these which I know will fit with room to spare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152165245795?_t ... fresh=true
:notbad:

They look the part, at least.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

They're about the same weight as stock seats so no weight savings, but comfort level is :mindblown: at least for me. The alternative is these which I know will fit with room to spare:

The stock seats suck so much, is love to replace them with the ones you linked.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote:

The stock seats are so shitty, in sure the Chinese ones are fine by comparison.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

maxtdi wrote:
Davestr wrote:Holy Shite - Cayman base + PDK = 3.9s 0-60....not bad - http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... and-driver

Base car reviews well. Id own this. Yellow looks super!

It is kind of crazy how a car with only 300 hp goes 0-60 below 4...
Dat pdk clutch drop
:word:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Melon wrote:

Good news is that it fits...

Bad news is the only way it'll actually work in the car is to swap them left to right so that the recline handle is on the inside. It takes up the entire lower seatbelt reel's space otherwise.

It also weighs about the same as stock and ends up with about the same headroom as stock on the manual sliders, likely adding a couple lbs and gaining at most an inch of headroom depending on the exact mounting brackets used. Because of the extra shoulder width, I'm not sure the seat would be able to go far enough back for giants to fit. The combo of attainable leg+head room probably wouldn't be enough for you.

:notsure: at this point.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote:
Detroit wrote: The stock seats are so shitty, in sure the Chinese ones are fine by comparison.
Good news is that it fits...

Bad news is the only way it'll actually work in the car is to swap them left to right so that the recline handle is on the inside. It takes up the entire lower seatbelt reel's space otherwise.

It also weighs about the same as stock and ends up with about the same headroom as stock on the manual sliders, likely adding a couple lbs and gaining at most an inch of headroom depending on the exact mounting brackets used. Because of the extra shoulder width, I'm not sure the seat would be able to go far enough back for giants to fit. The combo of attainable leg+head room probably wouldn't be enough for you.

:notsure: at this point.
:rage:

Thanks for checking it out, doe.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Damn, the seats look so good.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote:Damn, the seats look so good.
:dat:

I was hoping they'd be a viable option...
ChrisoftheNorth

But if I change seats, I'm going to do so for headroom. Without the bottom springs, the stock seat goes LOW
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:But if I change seats, I'm going to do so for headroom. Without the bottom springs, the stock seat goes LOW
Yeah, I want headroom more than anything.
I'm fat enough to stick myself in the seats.

:sad:

But, the stock seats are super comfy for long distance cruising.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Melon wrote:Damn, the seats look so good.
:dat: I want new seats. I'm liking the :mahtroy: posts in this thread. Reclinable black leather for me. At $4xx+ each I might just pass but at $2xx they are a no brainer
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:
Melon wrote:

This is true. They probably need to be recar-bros or whatever name brand to ensure some level of quality control. The pleather likely wouldn't hold out.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote:
Detroit wrote:But if I change seats, I'm going to do so for headroom. Without the bottom springs, the stock seat goes LOW

Not when you yank the springs for max headroom. At least I can fit with a helmet, doe.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:
Melon wrote:

Not when you yank the springs for max headroom. At least I can fit with a helmet, doe.
Yeah... about that...
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote:
Detroit wrote: Not when you yank the springs for max headroom. At least I can fit with a helmet, doe.
Yeah... about that...
Such headroom, doe...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:
Melon wrote:
Yeah... about that...
Such headroom, doe...
How's the comfort?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote:
Melon wrote:

Replace seat cushion with a plywood board because racecar :stig:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote:
Detroit wrote: Such headroom, doe...
How's the comfort?
Not great. You sit inbetween the rails...which isn't the wide and digs into your thighs. It's a great way to gain a bunch of headroom for free, and it's how I have my seat all the time, but comfort is compromised. I bet it could be made comfortable with additional foam, etc. I need to look into it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:
Melon wrote:
How's the comfort?
Not great. You sit inbetween the rails...which isn't the wide and digs into your thighs. It's a great way to gain a bunch of headroom for free, and it's how I have my seat all the time, but comfort is compromised. I bet it could be made comfortable with additional foam, etc. I need to look into it.
0/7
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote:
Detroit wrote: Not great. You sit inbetween the rails...which isn't the wide and digs into your thighs. It's a great way to gain a bunch of headroom for free, and it's how I have my seat all the time, but comfort is compromised. I bet it could be made comfortable with additional foam, etc. I need to look into it.
0/7
I hate having my head jammed up in the roof more than anything. For me, it's 5/7. No aftermarket seat option comes close to this much headroom.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

:therapist:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What is a drink driver.