Car Talk 1: Passengers matter

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Preaching to the choir here Max. GF and I were just texting about this. How the $2k off morphed into $1600 off after :dillerman: explained that the costco price is an estimate. Which I'm not really buying, it sounds like a load of BS because GF's dad has bought 3 cars through costco now and the price they email you is the damn price.

Just more fucking games. The whole industry is based on hiding things and fucking people over.
Wait, they're not honoring the price Costco emailed you? They can't do that and it's breach of contract with Costco...or at least it was.
Correctamundo!

Costco emailed me saying it's $2,006 off MSRP for a blue base STI with floor mats and wheel locks. Karin explained that's an estimate and gave me a price of $1,608 off MSRP for that car.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: Wait, they're not honoring the price Costco emailed you? They can't do that and it's breach of contract with Costco...or at least it was.
Correctamundo!

Costco emailed me saying it's $2,006 off MSRP for a blue base STI with floor mats and wheel locks. Karin explained that's an estimate and gave me a price of $1,608 off MSRP for that car.
:nope: Don't think they can do that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Preaching to the choir here Max. GF and I were just texting about this. How the $2k off morphed into $1600 off after :dillerman: explained that the costco price is an estimate. Which I'm not really buying, it sounds like a load of BS because GF's dad has bought 3 cars through costco now and the price they email you is the damn price.

Just more fucking games. The whole industry is based on hiding things and fucking people over.
Yea in your case unfortunately the price is the price... I know that they literally don't discunt that model period. And getting even $1 off sticker is "winning" Considering the amount of time and dealers you polled on the topic I think the 1400-1600 is as GOOD as it'll get for that particular vehicle.

You're actually one of the few ppl that follows a cool and calm approach to car buying vs the whole ... LEMME BLOW MY LOAD RIGHT NOW AND WALK IN THERE AND MAKE A DEAL.
You never make a deal... like that... not with how the cards are stacked against you.
Right I don't think it's bad at all I'm just fucking sick of the dealer bullshit.

[user not found] needs to go work for Subaru for a month, just long enough to get me an STI.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Correctamundo!

Well they did, so...
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Leasing prevents you from being upside down. IMO it is the way to go right now.
Soon enough leasing payments will EXCEED the actual monthlies for stretch pay so leasing will once again fall out of favor though.
Leasing is not bad at all. You get a rock solid number that you pay monthly for your new car, and at the end of the term that's it. You're not on the hook for market fluctuations.

The problem is if you get laid off or work changes or something to where you need to off the lease. As you're experiencing, that is much stickier than selling a car.
However, if you're financially smart you plan for something like that... and don't purchase a vehicle you can't afford leasing or not... presumably leasing the vehicle is still cheaper "monthly" than owning it... so unless you're head over heels in deep doo doo it is not the right course of action to flip a lease.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: Because of course he did.
:dat:

I mean, many middle class white suburban people who go to decent schools and whose parents drive 15 year old Hondas and their dad is middle management don't have to worry about this shit. But its a reality for a giant part of the working population in the US. I think we do a horrible job as a nation, preparing our young ones for real life. Basic economics and personal finance should be taught in high school.
Really. They bitch about common core. Add common sense and what could go wrong mang!!???????? LOL!!

:thankstrump:
max225

Detroit wrote:

They can lie to your face 24/7 which is what they are paid to do bruh...

Today there is a tornado in Japan and GODZILLA was spotted of the island of Fiji, therefore STI pricing went up $400.
But let me talk to the manager to see what we can do ... Fill out this credit application while i am gone

:dillerman:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:

Here's the email from Flemington Subaru, auto generated for the Costco pricing....
New 2017 Subaru WRX

STI Manual

VIN: Sample Vehicle
MSRP: $36,0150
Model: HUS
Color: Choose A Color
Options: View Included Options

Sale Price

$34,006 1,4,5

Includes Destination & Handling
Excludes Taxes, Fees & Options / Accessories Not Listed

The pricing for this 2017 Subaru WRX is not based on an actual in-stock vehicle. It may not be available in this configuration. Call me or reply to this email now for more information.

Hello John,

Thank you for submitting your vehicle request on a 2017 WRX. The hassle free low price you see, is what you'll pay at Flemington Subaru. Additionally, you'll find several new and pre-owned vehicles that you may consider.

We have also included some helpful links on the bottom of this email so that you can appraise your current vehicle and get pre-approved financing, if needed. If this is not the exact vehicle you were looking for, please reply to this email or call (908) 782-2025.

We will contact you shortly to answer any questions you may have and to discuss any ADDITIONAL REBATES you may qualify for that were not included in your e-brochure price!
Once again thank you and we look forward to helping you fill your transportation needs here at Flemington Subaru .

Sincerely,
Alex Leist
Internet Sales Manager
Here's the quote from Karin at the dealership:
Hello John,

It was a pleasure speaking with you about ordering a 2017 Subaru Wrx Sti through your Costco Auto Buying Program. As your dedicated Costco Sales Advisor at our dealership, I have put together our pricing for you. Attached is the build sheet including MSRP and Invoice pricing as well as your Costco Members-Only Price Sheet.

I verified the state and county sales tax for your zip code is 8%, so your out the door breakdown would look like follows:

$34,775.00 2017 Subaru WRX STI
2,782.00 8% Combined Sales Tax
185.00 PA DMV (est)
379.00 Dealer Doc Fee
-----------------

$38,121.00 Out the door

If you think that will work, we can begin the order process with a bit of paperwork and a small refundable deposit. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Best regards,

Karin
Just more fucking :rolleyes: Yes its a good price. No, they're not going to honor member pricing despite saying they do.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: :nope: Don't think they can do that.

Today there is a tornado in Japan and GODZILLA was spotted of the island of Fiji, therefore STI pricing went up $400.
But let me talk to the manager to see what we can do ... Fill out this credit application while i am gone

Yeah. Her reasoning was literally this...

"Well that's an estimated price and once I put all the information in I get the final price. Plus, the blue ones are really rare now since they're in demand, so that can affect it too."

Bitch I'm ordering from the fucking factory. They don't give a shit what color it is they'll paint it whatever you request.
max225

Typical... :dillerman: :rage: BS :(
max225

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

Yeah. Her reasoning was literally this...

"Well that's an estimated price and once I put all the information in I get the final price. Plus, the blue ones are really rare now since they're in demand, so that can affect it too."

Bitch I'm ordering from the fucking factory. They don't give a shit what color it is they'll paint it whatever you request.
Honestly that is just how they do "business" and you're supposed to be ok with it.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Leasing is not bad at all. You get a rock solid number that you pay monthly for your new car, and at the end of the term that's it. You're not on the hook for market fluctuations.

The problem is if you get laid off or work changes or something to where you need to off the lease. As you're experiencing, that is much stickier than selling a car.
However, if you're financially smart you plan for something like that... and don't purchase a vehicle you can't afford leasing or not... presumably leasing the vehicle is still cheaper "monthly" than owning it... so unless you're head over heels in deep doo doo it is not the right course of action to flip a lease.
Right. If you do it correctly you shouldn't actually need to pay for anything on the car outside possibly a set of tires or brake pads on a lease. It's the closest to zero fucks given ownership you can get, and zero surprise costs.
Davestr

Last edited by Davestr on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

i would not be putting up with this level of shit for ANY car, i dont care if it was the best thing ever.

move on.
brain go brrrrrr
max225

The 1M is "legendary" :rolleyes:

Dave have you driven then new 2/340 motored cars yet?
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote:i would not be putting up with this level of shit for ANY car, i dont care if it was the best thing ever.

move on.
This is the best shit to deal ratio I've encountered in a while. Other Subaru guys weren't taking anything off list price at all. They're willing to come down a bit. I will email Ciocca in Allentown to see if they want to deal or not.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

[user not found] wrote:Something to remember with Costco or TrueCar or any other car buying service...

A price given by one :dill: er does not have to be honored by another :dill: er.

The :dill: ers set their minimum allowed price and that's what gets sent out for the price quotes. Some choose to do an invoice :dill: , some try to hold onto a little gross.

Usually, a :dill: er will accept another :dill: er's :dill: just to get the sale, but not always. YMMV, as you've found out.

Go with the :dill: er that has the car you want for the price you want. You're starting to run into brick walls, which means you're in the :dill: zone.
:therapist:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:Something to remember with Costco or TrueCar or any other car buying service...

A price given by one diller does not have to be honored by another diller.

The dillers set their minimum allowed price and that's what gets sent out for the price quotes. Some choose to do an invoice deal, some try to hold onto a little gross.

Usually, a diller will accept another diller's dill just to get the sale, but not always. YMMV, as you've found out.

Go with the diller that has the car you want for the price you want. You're starting to run into brick walls, which means you're in the dill zone.
Yep the price is the price. Nobody has the car it would have to be an order.
ChrisoftheNorth

The dillers set their minimum allowed price and that's what gets sent out for the price quotes. Some choose to do an invoice deal, some try to hold onto a little gross.

Usually, a diller will accept another diller's dill just to get the sale, but not always. YMMV, as you've found out.

Go with the diller that has the car you want for the price you want. You're starting to run into brick walls, which means you're in the dill zone.
I thought that the price sent by Costco had be adhered to. Otherwise, what's the point of the price?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Calvinball wrote:

A price given by one :dill: er does not have to be honored by another :dill: er.

The :dill: ers set their minimum allowed price and that's what gets sent out for the price quotes. Some choose to do an invoice :dill: , some try to hold onto a little gross.

Usually, a :dill: er will accept another :dill: er's :dill: just to get the sale, but not always. YMMV, as you've found out.

Go with the :dill: er that has the car you want for the price you want. You're starting to run into brick walls, which means you're in the :dill: zone.
:impressive:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Detroit wrote:

I thought that the price sent by Costco had be adhered to. Otherwise, what's the point of the price?
Just for that particular dealer though.
:therapist:
ChrisoftheNorth

Calvinball wrote:
Detroit wrote: I thought that the price sent by Costco had be adhered to. Otherwise, what's the point of the price?
Just for that particular dealer though.
Oh, I see now.
Davestr

maxtdi wrote:

Funny you should bring that up. I am waiting for the dill call on a M240i test. Id like to drive the sedan as well. Full reports upon completion. The forum bros are beeotching that the new motor is not as aggressive sounding overall. Frau is very much into a 2 series coupe upgrade to to the 240. Thankfully she works. Im a bit hesitant as the M235i keeps on doing nice things when driven and is not a maintenance pig so far. Im keeping an open mind but keeping the 235 is not a bad option at all. Yea no warranty blows next summer but its a good car and why dump a good running car thats just about paid off :)
max225

Over 1k off for a special ordered limited edition STI is a great deal IMO. Most ppl will pay sticker for that.
max225

Davestr wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

Funny you should bring that up. I am waiting for the dill call on a M240i test. Id like to drive the sedan as well. Full reports upon completion. The forum bros are beeotching that the new motor is not as aggressive sounding overall. Frau is very much into a 2 series coupe upgrade to to the 240. Thankfully she works. Im a bit hesitant as the M235i keeps on doing nice things when driven and is not a maintenance pig so far. Im keeping an open mind but keeping the 235 is not a bad option at all. Yea no warranty blows next summer but its a good car and why dump a good running car thats just about paid off :)
How many miles are on your 235i (km are fine too)?

Everyone is saying that the 240 is a very solid upgrade from the 235i... but who knows... could be forum EDICKING per usual.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.