POWL: The demise of Manuel

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Do you drive an automatic because of your :tits: ?

Yes
9%
No
67%
Toaster
24%

Total votes: 33
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Demise of :manuel: is because the modern ones lack feedback and new auto's are just fucking good.

:micdrop:

Also, :tits: doesn't care what I drive and wants to learn :manuel: at some point.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

The daily driver Silveradoe is an auto. I'd rather an auto so I can concentrate on texting while driving and sippin on my airboat moonshine instead of worrying about a clutch and shifter. Both race cares are manuals. Wifey can drive both. Except the Z06 has a stupid stiff short throw in it that's difficult, and she's not used to forcing it into gear with so much effort, but I'm used to it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The C6 was :manuel: , but I sought out a DD with an automatic tranny for :tits: because she hates the abruptness of the manual and also doesn't want to learn. :disappoint:

It limited the selection of cars I could choose since I was only willing to drive something with a good automatic.

The :gorf: doesn't let me down though, it's fast, fun, has launch control, DSG farts prominently accentuated with the Remus exhaust, and shifts way better in this car then the TDI did. I honestly don't think I want to go back in anything other then a true sportscar.

I'm voting :tits: though, since it is the primary reason for the transmission choice.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

My wife never cared, but now that we have a :baby: I could easily see a scenario where she's pissed about me driving :manuel:. Once the BRT line is finished I won't be driving to work anymore, so if her car is ever in the shop or something and she needs to use mine to take the kiddo somewhere she'd be SOL. I tried to teach her to drive my MK6 :turboyaris: and she :nope: ed out pretty quickly. She didn't even want to try to drive the STi.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

My Silverado is auto because GM decided to not make the GMT-900 with a manual in the US. The manual GMT-800s with the 4.8 are unicorns and get snatched up as quickly as they get posted. I looked for months, but every time one popped up, I would call and it would be sold already. Otherwise, I love my truck. It has crossed my mind to start piecing together things needed to convert to a manual. It probably won't happen, though. Anything I would replace the truck with would come with a manual.

The GTO is manual. The Impala is manual. The Elco is automatic, but the fiance' has entertained the idea of converting it to manual.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Wife can drive a manual. Has asked for her next car to be manual, but nobody makes one she wants.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

But I'll likely chose an automatic Gladiator because the auto is just that good.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Wife can drive :manuel: but has grown accustomed to the ride height she has set in the Teeg..... I always have to lower it hwen I drive it in order to breathe...... da air is thin up dere
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Acid666 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:38 am The daily driver Silveradoe is an auto. I'd rather an auto so I can concentrate on texting while driving and sippin on my airboat moonshine instead of worrying about a clutch and shifter. Both race cares are manuals. Wifey can drive both. Except the Z06 has a stupid stiff short throw in it that's difficult, and she's not used to forcing it into gear with so much effort, but I'm used to it.
That's why I'm trying out the tmod 5% short throw. I didn't want crazy heavy movement for my daily.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Definitely because of :tits: . Mine cannot/will not/is not interested in learning to drive :manuel: I tried teaching her once in my Scirocco when we were dating. It did not...go well. She didn't "get it". She's the only female that I was unsuccessful in teaching. I'm 2 out of 3. :disappoint:

DSG was the best compromise out there.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:30 am Word on the street is that :tits: everywhere have driven the untimely demise of our dear friend :manuel: , which begs the question...

Has your significant other put the kibosh on you manually handling a meaty shift lever because they find themselves without the proper skills to navigate a non-sentient transmission themselves?
Its a factor but not THE factor.
1. Automatic in my current vehicle is faster than the manual
2. Automatic in my current vehicle has more features
3. Allows :tits: to drive, it doesn't happen much but it happened twice in the last 12 months, and it would have sucked if she wasn't able to
4. I have no desire to teach her manual, it is utterly pointless of a skill for her to have

For older cars manuals will go down as mechanical "clicky" type tools that went out of style, but can provide a completely different experience for the driver. But lets be honest this is like no longer having a manual crank in the front, is it fun ? Sure... but what we have today is better.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I can’t teach :tits: to drive :manuel: but she’s willing with the right teacher. It’s not a requirement for me - she doesn’t care what I drive - however there are times when it would be helpful to either swap vehicles, or for her to have the ability to drive my vehicle in case of emergency.

As good as DCT and performance oriented autos are getting (responsive, firm, and quick shift) I find the less of need for a third pedal to have fun. Prime example is the Aprilia with its up and down quickshifter, just flick the lever up or down to change gears. No clutch, no throttle blipping or lifting - it takes nothing away from the experience for me.

Edit: also, if we’re talking :manuel: vs slushbox, I pick a :manuel:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

The new autos are just plain and simply better. They generally give vehicles better acceleration and fuel mileage than the manual versions. Used to be the only reason to choose an automatic was laziness/luxury but now there are many more reasons. Combine that with the general decline of driving fun where I and many others live, there is little reason to pick an MT aside from nostalgia and desire for an additional mechanical connection.

STI will be my last manual car.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

My :tits: actually misses driving a :manuel: like I do.
We're just victims of what's currently available.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:26 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Its a factor but not THE factor.
1. Automatic in my current vehicle is faster than the manual
2. Automatic in my current vehicle has more features
3. Allows :tits: to drive, it doesn't happen much but it happened twice in the last 12 months, and it would have sucked if she wasn't able to
4. I have no desire to teach her manual, it is utterly pointless of a skill for her to have

For older cars manuals will go down as mechanical "clicky" type tools that went out of style, but can provide a completely different experience for the driver. But lets be honest this is like no longer having a manual crank in the front, is it fun ? Sure... but what we have today is better.
Crank windows were neither fun nor awesome. Power windows are a godsend.
I think on certain cars they add character and are not really a huge detriment. i.e one less thing to break.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Woman has never driven the Corvette and barely rides in it. Deal killer is not :manuel: but the scrape and the moar low.....maybe throwing the shifting in with the brubs and the low makes the total package of :nothanks: It is definitely my car.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Because im such a bitch for pressing the clutch 200 times for 4 miles.

My mk6 as most of y’all know was my current last :manuel: when i had a crappy rental, even though the auto doesn’t hunt gears unlike most newer cars, i felt myself more calm driving it, especially when I drive in an area with such shitty drivers. So after I test drove a DSG mk7, I thought this is it for me. Just a couple years back, I claimed I would never get an auto again, but here am I.

When I’m gonna pay for my second dsg service in a few months, my total of 2 dsg services will cost about as much as a new clutch without the labor of install.

For my next car, i’m not exactly :notsure: whether I still want a manual atleast for my car in this area or continue with a womans transmission (grandpa’s words, who now jokingly gives me shit for driving an auto). I know for sure if my next car is anything VAG, DSG it is.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I'd rather have a slow, ancient :manuel: over ANY auto but don't want to be stuck doing 100% of the driving on every trip or taking her car on every trip. We also have a tandem driveway now, so she wouldn't even be able to get her car out if mine happened to be first...

So yeah, I don't drive :manuel: because :tits:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

i buy the better transmisssion for the manfactuer of car im buying
brain go brrrrrr
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

My next vehicular will be an auto. Probably a Truckskies. Driving in general isnt that much fun for me anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:14 pm i buy the better transmisssion for the manfactuer of car im buying
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm Woman has never driven the Corvette and barely rides in it. Deal killer is not :manuel: but the scrape and the moar low.....maybe throwing the shifting in with the brubs and the low makes the total package of :nothanks: It is definitely my car.
:dat: is my experience with the wette too 😂
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:47 am My car doesn't come in manual. I thought I would miss it greatly. A well designed flappy paddle is >>>>>> than manual every day.

I feel like a GTI/R is the only car I would have to make a decision on. Great manual, FANTASTIC DTC. That's a hard one.
:wrong:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:40 am :wrong:
:dunno: it shifts faster, it's just as fun, you get just as much engagement and pleasure out of it.
:wrong:

How would you know without driving a :manuel: Alfa, anyway?
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:26 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm Woman has never driven the Corvette and barely rides in it. Deal killer is not :manuel: but the scrape and the moar low.....maybe throwing the shifting in with the brubs and the low makes the total package of :nothanks: It is definitely my car.
:dat: is my experience with the wette too 😂
Wife told me last night that shes glad I don't work at GM anymore so I'm forced to sell the Corvette. "I can't wait to see that thing go" were her words.

:(