Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:06 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 am
I thought I told that story, no?
I don’t :member: unless it was the one where you went wheelin and got stuck in some mudpit that was iced over or something. I :member: that one
:ohdang:

Ok, story time.

It was actually the same incident where we had the truck stuck in a mudpit that we left overnight on Drummond island.

Going to get that truck unstuck (with a remote mount winch and battery we managed to borrow from some hillbilly in a barn)...it was me in my truck and my buddy in his driving down the trail. We were maybe 1/4 mile from the stuck truck when we got to a deep water crossing. We crossed it the day before, NBD. I was leading and as I was leaving the middle (starting to emerge from the water), I felt the front right wheel come up on a rock and as it came down a big BAM. I chucked and thought "that's what skid plates are for har har" and got to the other side of the water. That also happened to be where we decided to stop and consolidate into one truck to rescue the stuck one. Fortunately, my buddy's truck had the winch and stuff in it, so we took his.

We got the mud truck unstuck and upon return noticed a pool of something shiny under my truck. Buddy asked "is that what I think it is?" I knelt down, smelled oil, put my finger in it and confirmed...my engine oil evacuated from the oil pan...it looked like all of it. Panic set in, I grabbed a flashlight and peered underneath. The rock hit right on the portion of the skid plate that's weakest. There's a hole punched in the skid plate for the diesel oil drain plug (mine's a gas, GM decided to cut cost by using the same skid plate for both engines), leaving a somewhat puny portion of the skid on the outboard side...the rock pushed that into my oil pan and cracked it enough to let the oil out. I had a simple socket set...enough to get the skid plate off, and assessed the damage. A crack roughly 2" in length was all it took.

We were 45 minutes in on the trail from a main road, an hour from civilization. We had no supplies. It was Sunday at about 11am on an island with a full-time population in the triple digits in November when the sun sets at ~4:30pm.

My buddy with the truck we unstuck wasted no time and jumped in his truck reminding us that we had no time to get into town. As we drove down the trail, we developed a strategy. JB weld putty, a case of oil, and some degreaser...we got this.

Well, we would have if it were a normal area with population. We went to the dude we borrowed the winch from and told us what happened. After he got done calling us dumbasses, he admitted that he didn't have JB weld, but did have some oil. I didn't even ask what it was, it was in a 5 qt jug..probably used but it was free. He said he knew the owner of the hardware store that would have what we needed, but warned that he went to church off the island on Sundays and he might not be around. He called him, and sure enough he had just gotten out of church. It was noon, and he was planning to be back at 2 (the ferry to the island only runs once an hour). Winch dude asked if he could come back early to help, and he agreed. Told us where the hardware store was and said to meet him there at 1:30.

We sat there waiting. 1:30 came and went. 1:45...then 2:00. I started to panic when a dude in modded to death XJ pulled up. "Y'all need some supplies?" He opened up the store, and we bolted in like we knew where we were going. "JB Weld is in isle XX" he yelled as we ran. I bought 4 tubes of JB Weld underwater quickset putty, a few cans of degreaser, some rags, and sandpaper. I gave the owner $50 and told him to keep the change for his time. 

We hit the road at 2:15...with an hour of rural roads and rough trails to get to my truck. I read through the instructions on the JB Weld tube indicating a 30 minute set time. Assuming we could get the oil pan clean within 15 minutes, we'd be ready to go by 4...giving us enough sunlight to get mostly off the trail. 

Got back to my truck, and oil was still seeping out of the crack...it clearly wasn't empty, and the JB weld wouldn't adhere to oil. So I pulled the drainplug and threw some rags down for the oil to drain into, put a farmjack under the driver's side rock slider, and jacked the truck up to drain the oil. While that drained, the crack stopped seeping and I was able to clean it and sand it while one of my buddies kneaded the putty to activate it. The crack was staying dry, so I smeared the JB Weld putty over the crack, asked my buddies to take a look at it to make sure they didn't see anything bad, they confirmed it "looked good enough" and we waited. 

We watched the sun touch the horizon as we sipped on some half-frozen beers and at the 25 minute mark, I poked the JB Weld and found it to be mostly hard. we lowered the truck back down, reinstalled the drain plug, and let it sit for a few minutes before dumping the oil in. I didn't see any seeping, and at the 30 minute mark, dumped the questionable oil that our homeboy gave us into the crankcase. Waited a few minutes, saw no seeping, and started the truck. Oil pressure built, it was ready to go. 

To leave, I had to drive right through the same water that caused all this. One of my buddies had wadders in his truck, so he threw them on and walked out to find the destroyer rock. He stood by it as we drove by him, making sure none of us got hosed. I pulled over to check the oil pan as he got into his truck, no sign of oil. 

The JB Weld got me off the island, and on my first gas stop just north of the Mackinac Bridge, I noticed a drop of oil on the JB Weld. I checked the level, which was still full...threw in an extra half quart of oil, and checked the owner's manual to see if there was a low oil level light. Confirming it came on at a quart low, I drove. It's a 6 hour drive home, and I just motored, waiting for the light to shine in my very groggy sleepy face. Pulled in home right around midnight and passed out. 

TL;DR: Airboat engineering FTW. Deep water crossings FTL
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

My mom left me a decent amount of money.
I'm still poor and miserable with no snowmobiles, no skis.

/ :bread:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:19 pm

I don’t :member: unless it was the one where you went wheelin and got stuck in some mudpit that was iced over or something. I :member: that one

Ok, story time.

It was actually the same incident where we had the truck stuck in a mudpit that we left overnight on Drummond island.

Going to get that truck unstuck (with a remote mount winch and battery we managed to borrow from some hillbilly in a barn)...it was me in my truck and my buddy in his driving down the trail. We were maybe 1/4 mile from the stuck truck when we got to a deep water crossing. We crossed it the day before, NBD. I was leading and as I was leaving the middle (starting to emerge from the water), I felt the front right wheel come up on a rock and as it came down a big BAM. I chucked and thought "that's what skid plates are for har har" and got to the other side of the water. That also happened to be where we decided to stop and consolidate into one truck to rescue the stuck one. Fortunately, my buddy's truck had the winch and stuff in it, so we took his.

We got the mud truck unstuck and upon return noticed a pool of something shiny under my truck. Buddy asked "is that what I think it is?" I knelt down, smelled oil, put my finger in it and confirmed...my engine oil evacuated from the oil pan...it looked like all of it. Panic set in, I grabbed a flashlight and peered underneath. The rock hit right on the portion of the skid plate that's weakest. There's a hole punched in the skid plate for the diesel oil drain plug (mine's a gas, GM decided to cut cost by using the same skid plate for both engines), leaving a somewhat puny portion of the skid on the outboard side...the rock pushed that into my oil pan and cracked it enough to let the oil out. I had a simple socket set...enough to get the skid plate off, and assessed the damage. A crack roughly 2" in length was all it took.

We were 45 minutes in on the trail from a main road, an hour from civilization. We had no supplies. It was Sunday at about 11am on an island with a full-time population in the triple digits in November when the sun sets at ~4:30pm.

My buddy with the truck we unstuck wasted no time and jumped in his truck reminding us that we had no time to get into town. As we drove down the trail, we developed a strategy. JB weld putty, a case of oil, and some degreaser...we got this.

Well, we would have if it were a normal area with population. We went to the dude we borrowed the winch from and told us what happened. After he got done calling us dumbasses, he admitted that he didn't have JB weld, but did have some oil. I didn't even ask what it was, it was in a 5 qt jug..probably used but it was free. He said he knew the owner of the hardware store that would have what we needed, but warned that he went to church off the island on Sundays and he might not be around. He called him, and sure enough he had just gotten out of church. It was noon, and he was planning to be back at 2 (the ferry to the island only runs once an hour). Winch dude asked if he could come back early to help, and he agreed. Told us where the hardware store was and said to meet him there at 1:30.

We sat there waiting. 1:30 came and went. 1:45...then 2:00. I started to panic when a dude in modded to death XJ pulled up. "Y'all need some supplies?" He opened up the store, and we bolted in like we knew where we were going. "JB Weld is in isle XX" he yelled as we ran. I bought 4 tubes of JB Weld underwater quickset putty, a few cans of degreaser, some rags, and sandpaper. I gave the owner $50 and told him to keep the change for his time. 

We hit the road at 2:15...with an hour of rural roads and rough trails to get to my truck. I read through the instructions on the JB Weld tube indicating a 30 minute set time. Assuming we could get the oil pan clean within 15 minutes, we'd be ready to go by 4...giving us enough sunlight to get mostly off the trail. 

Got back to my truck, and oil was still seeping out of the crack...it clearly wasn't empty, and the JB weld wouldn't adhere to oil. So I pulled the drainplug and threw some rags down for the oil to drain into, put a farmjack under the driver's side rock slider, and jacked the truck up to drain the oil. While that drained, the crack stopped seeping and I was able to clean it and sand it while one of my buddies kneaded the putty to activate it. The crack was staying dry, so I smeared the JB Weld putty over the crack, asked my buddies to take a look at it to make sure they didn't see anything bad, they confirmed it "looked good enough" and we waited. 

We watched the sun touch the horizon as we sipped on some half-frozen beers and at the 25 minute mark, I poked the JB Weld and found it to be mostly hard. we lowered the truck back down, reinstalled the drain plug, and let it sit for a few minutes before dumping the oil in. I didn't see any seeping, and at the 30 minute mark, dumped the questionable oil that our homeboy gave us into the crankcase. Waited a few minutes, saw no seeping, and started the truck. Oil pressure built, it was ready to go. 

To leave, I had to drive right through the same water that caused all this. One of my buddies had wadders in his truck, so he threw them on and walked out to find the destroyer rock. He stood by it as we drove by him, making sure none of us got hosed. I pulled over to check the oil pan as he got into his truck, no sign of oil. 

The JB Weld got me off the island, and on my first gas stop just north of the Mackinac Bridge, I noticed a drop of oil on the JB Weld. I checked the level, which was still full...threw in an extra half quart of oil, and checked the owner's manual to see if there was a low oil level light. Confirming it came on at a quart low, I drove. It's a 6 hour drive home, and I just motored, waiting for the light to shine in my very groggy sleepy face. Pulled in home right around midnight and passed out. 

:amazing:

So who covered the expense of the oil pan? Warranty ?

Epic story breh!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Ok, story time.

3 things I always have. JB weld, tire plugs, and zip ties
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:19 pm
A new paper from the San Francisco Federal Reserve shows that, all else being equal, suicide risks are higher in wealthier neighborhoods, a morbid demonstration of the folly of trying to “keep up with the Joneses.”
The twist comes when you look at low income individuals who live in high income areas. According to the study, they face greater suicide risk than those living in low-income areas. The study’s authors call it a “behavioral response to unfavorable interpersonal income comparisons.
:yikes:

some major reflecting to do...
This is my cabin in the woods...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Ok, story time.

I've got all 3 of those things...now.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:19 pm

:yikes:

some major reflecting to do...
There is :science: behind all this, one has to know when to stop the rat race, money be damned. You wake up at 50 overwheight, close to heart attack, due to constant stress... look back at life and say... :wtf: do I need any/all of this shit if I'll be worm food in 5 years, and then you start trying to figure out how to live a better life... and perhaps change things to "experiences" from "material things"
max225

You still don't have the oil to get you out of that ditch...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:22 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Gen Z's seem to think boomers really know of/or care about "ok boomer" as an "insult". So now it's a bunch of young people just saying it to each-other, I never really got it.

God you're such a fucking Boomer.
Not sure if we have any real Boomers here. :wap: precedes all generations.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:15 pm It certainly can be if you have to kill yourself and/or abandon principles to get there.
$34,000 is the misery line. If earning $75,000 annually is the benchmark for financial happiness –– earnings over that amount haven't been shown to increase happiness in the long-term –– then consider $34,000 the new tipping point for financial misery. People who earned less than $34,000 were 50 percent more likely to commit suicide, researchers found. People who earned between $34,000 and $102,000 increased their risk for suicide by only 10 percent.
:fax:
Income != wealth
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

5/7 Story Chris. Much lulz.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The real question is can you drive happiness in the snow with wealth tires?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Ok, story time.

Epic story breh!
I replaced it myself...which was an epic PITA. The entire front of the truck had to come apart to get to it.

I had no idea what a dealer was going to do. Warranty was highly unlikely, and "book labor" was ~10 hours...so $1k in labor alone was my guess. Probably a $1.5k job...I bought the parts for $200 including new correct oil and filter.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:33 pm
max225 wrote:

:fax:
Income != wealth
:gaydance: ok, wouldn't you say there is some association between the two?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Sounds like what my wife carries with us on Saturday nights with her girlfriend.
:ohmy:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:29 pm
There is :science: behind all this, one has to know when to stop the rat race, money be damned. You wake up at 50 overwheight, close to heart attack, due to constant stress... look back at life and say... :wtf: do I need any/all of this shit if I'll be worm food in 5 years, and then you start trying to figure out how to live a better life... and perhaps change things to "experiences" from "material things"
This all happened to me...only I'm 34 not 50. I guess that's a good thing?
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:34 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Epic story breh!
I replaced it myself...which was an epic PITA. The entire front of the truck had to come apart to get to it.

I had no idea what a dealer was going to do. Warranty was highly unlikely, and "book labor" was ~10 hours...so $1k in labor alone was my guess. Probably a $1.5k job...I bought the parts for $200 including new correct oil and filter.
Wow 10 hr book time on a :truk: oil pan. That's nuts.
troyguitar

Melon wrote:The real question is can you drive happiness in the snow with wealth tires?
You ride in a helicopter and hunt wild poors for fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:30 pm
I'm going back up to the island this weekend, I'm going to buy a case of oil to bring with me just in case.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:35 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:29 pm
This all happened to me...only I'm 34 not 50. I guess that's a good thing?
You know there are 30 year olds acting 13... so age is nothing but a number, some take much longer to grow up.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:34 pm The real question is can you drive happiness in the snow with wealth tires?
What badge does it have on the hood? Are the tires made by Michelin?
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:36 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm going back up to the island this weekend, I'm going to buy a case of oil to bring with me just in case.
I think that is worth while... same with a gallon of coolant... even a shitty leak takes a while to "drain" the lot. Unless there is a full on hole.. at which point it is :doomed:
max225

4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:36 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:34 pm The real question is can you drive happiness in the snow with wealth tires?
What badge does it have on the hood? Are the tires made by Michelin?
Michelin=Wealth that star guide didn't write itself.
Badge doesn't matter as long as it is illuminated
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Wow 10 hr book time on a :truk: oil pan. That's nuts.
Literally the entire front of the truck has to come apart. Subframe, crossbrace, front axle, steering rack, suspension, everything. It's a massive job.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:33 pm Income != wealth
:gaydance: ok, wouldn't you say there is some association between the two?
If you need to work to become wealthy then it's a tough compromise since time is the only thing that you cannot buy. Generalizations for high incomes don't necessarily apply to those born into the aristocracy.