Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 am
rockchops wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:37 am I have DD'd my saturn year round for about 5 of the last 7 years. Its fine. LSD works well in the snow, heat works well, etc. I would still be DDing it but I dont need to so it is under a cover in my back yard this winter. You guys fucking complain too much. A convertible in the snow is fine, a C5 in the snow is fine, an rx8 in the snow is also fine. Get yourself some tars.
:notwrong:

Once upon a time all of Murica DD'd giant rwd barges with only lap belts, no child real seats, 4 wheel drum brakes, virtually zero passive safely features, on shitty bias ply tars in the winter, and most of them lived.
Weight was helpful there :doe: and many still used sand bags in the trunk to help with traction.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 am
Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 am

In a city environment during an emergency flooding situation, the biggest hazard is moving water. There's so much force that it will push your vehicle off a bridge, off into a ditch, even with just a foot or so of water. I saw so many cars in the ditch after the flood waters subsided. Even saw an 18-wheeler pushed into a parking lot.
Yep, exactly. It's impossible to see how deep the water is first and whether or not it's moving much. Even if it's not, a vehicle could become buoyant in deep standing water and get "stuck".

Way worse than snow. Snow driving is NBD because you know you have limited traction, and it's usually pretty easy to gauge depth. It's others you have to look out for more than anything.
Driving in the snow? :triggered:

Driving in the snow on a car that hasn't been ordained by the DFD squad of automotive excellence?!

:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :wrong: :triggered:

Driving in the snow in a boring vehicle without properly vetted skillset?!

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong: :wrong: :wrong:
:wrong: :triggered: :triggered: :triggered: :wrong:
:wrong: :triggered: :wrong: :triggered: :wrong:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:47 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 am
Yep, exactly. It's impossible to see how deep the water is first and whether or not it's moving much. Even if it's not, a vehicle could become buoyant in deep standing water and get "stuck".

Way worse than snow. Snow driving is NBD because you know you have limited traction, and it's usually pretty easy to gauge depth. It's others you have to look out for more than anything.
Driving in the snow? :triggered:

Driving in the snow on a car that hasn't been ordained by the DFD squad of automotive excellence?!

:triggered: :wrong: :triggered:

Driving in the snow in a boring vehicle without properly vetted skillset?!

:wrong: :triggered: :wrong: :triggered: :wrong:
:lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I like my boring :jeep: :truk: in all circumstances.

:triggered: :wrong:

Maybe I should just stick to OT from now on...
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:28 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:08 am

How did humans survive the last 100 years of vehicle ownershit
IDK man, based on this thread no one should drive in the snow. Also this whole thread reads like a fucking Dr. Suess book.

I don't not like driving in the snow
It's too hard to stop,
And too hard to go.
I do not like it in a Subaru
If you don't agree,
I'll argue with you.
It's too boring even in a Golf R
Even with budget quattro,
you won't get very far.
Everyday I look the the garage for fun
and with my massive driving skills,
Not a car is right, I can't even pick one.
There is only one option,
as you can so clearly see.
I'll go online to a car forum,
And argue with thee.
:amaze:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:I like my boring :jeep: :truk: in all circumstances.

You're in the majority now. I don't even enjoy OT and really should stop posting.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

rockchops wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:37 am I have DD'd my saturn year round for about 5 of the last 7 years. Its fine. LSD works well in the snow, heat works well, etc. I would still be DDing it but I dont need to so it is under a cover in my back yard this winter. You guys fucking complain too much. A convertible in the snow is fine, a C5 in the snow is fine, an rx8 in the snow is also fine. Get yourself some tars.

Once upon a time all of Murica DD'd giant rwd barges with only lap belts, no child real seats, 4 wheel drum brakes, virtually zero passive safely features, on shitty bias ply tars in the winter, and most of them lived.
You were 5 times more likely to die than today.

And currently it’s like one of the leading causes of death in the nation, a Vietnam war worth’ number of people died annually in the streets in the 50s I’d say that’s quite shitty.
Last edited by max225 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 am

Weight was helpful there :doe: and many still used sand bags in the trunk to help with traction.
Yea sandbags, kitty litter, heavy tool boxes, bricks, etc.
Weight could hurt you too, :doe: . Overcoming inertia to stop or turn one of those dreadnoughts was no bueno.
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am

And currently it’s like one of the leading causes of death in the nation, a Vietnam war worth’ number of people died annually in the streets in the 50s I’d say that’s quite shitty.
Not all from driving in snow.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:20 am I've never driven in heavy snow.

But, I have driven through flood waters.
Flood waters would be way more scary IMO.

I've driven through some pretty deep water wheeling...that shit is terrifying. You don't know for sure how deep it is, and you have no clue what's hiding underneath. It's how I cracked the oil pan in my ZR2 with 700 miles on it.
You had a cracked oil pan? :dang:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:03 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am
Flood waters would be way more scary IMO.

I've driven through some pretty deep water wheeling...that shit is terrifying. You don't know for sure how deep it is, and you have no clue what's hiding underneath. It's how I cracked the oil pan in my ZR2 with 700 miles on it.
I thought I told that story, no?
max225

wap wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:02 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am

Prob a decent amount .... :doe: it’s actually quite amazing to look back and see how many people died.... and why we have the regulation that we do. 50s seemed to have been quite :fullretard: when it comes to driving, keep in mind the speed limits and cars were much much slower.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:07 am

Well, when drivers education isn't taught anymore, people should be afraid.

I'm very afraid of people being out in the snow that shouldn't be.
Problem is, a lot of it is driver experience.

When I was 14.5 and got my "permit" my dad took me to his work parking lot after fresh snow and had me drive around and he'd randomly pull the parking brake mid-turn so I'd learn car control. He may or may not have been aware that it opened up a can of worms when I got my license and drove on my own DOORRRIIIFFFTTTOOO in the snow, but my control skills are epic.

BUT...my wife who was born and raised in CA with zero snow has somehow developed fantastic snow driving skills. She has a healthy fear, but also isn't timid. Proper following/braking distance, careful on ice/turns, can steer into a drift if it happens, it's pretty remarkable. She drives better than most :derp: s I encounter who have lived here their entire lives.
You'll get a fucking ticket if you do that in a parking lot now. It's bullshit
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:03 am
I don’t :member: unless it was the one where you went wheelin and got stuck in some mudpit that was iced over or something. I :member: that one
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 am
wap wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:02 am

Prob a decent amount .... :doe: it’s actually quite amazing to look back and see how many people died.... and why we have the regulation that we do. 50s seemed to have been quite :fullretard: when it comes to driving, keep in mind the speed limits and cars were much much slower.
Don't know the stats on snow driving fatalities vs general driving deaths. Would be interesting :math: to see...
Current safely regs definitely have helped to lower deaths per vehicle miles driven, and that's ok by me.
Speed limits were actually in many cases higher than they are now, especially in some western states, even while cars then were literally steel death traps. :nope: Give me a car that purposely destroys itself in a crash instead of me.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:06 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 am
I don't remember that story. :iono: :derp:
Same. Do tell.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Yay! Dplac story time!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:06 am

When I was 14.5 and got my "permit" my dad took me to his work parking lot after fresh snow and had me drive around and he'd randomly pull the parking brake mid-turn so I'd learn car control. He may or may not have been aware that it opened up a can of worms when I got my license and drove on my own DOORRRIIIFFFTTTOOO in the snow, but my control skills are epic.

BUT...my wife who was born and raised in CA with zero snow has somehow developed fantastic snow driving skills. She has a healthy fear, but also isn't timid. Proper following/braking distance, careful on ice/turns, can steer into a drift if it happens, it's pretty remarkable. She drives better than most :derp: s I encounter who have lived here their entire lives.
:dat: basically the shitty clueless driver gets away with it while potentially causes an accident and the other who actually has driver skills it's like satan to them.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Oh really? Last year I got yelled at by :mahtroy: who was parked in the corner in his Chrysler Sebring who told me it's private property and to :gtfo:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:59 am
Detroit wrote:I like my boring :jeep: :truk: in all circumstances.

You're in the majority now. I don't even enjoy OT and really should stop posting.
I have a :truk: to tow my Image
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:33 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:59 am You're in the majority now. I don't even enjoy OT and really should stop posting.
I have a :truk: to tow my Image
:gay:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I motorbike. According this forum I should have died like a decade ago.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

"according to this forum" has really been taken out of context.
:snowflake: logic means it is all about ME, and everyone else is :wrong: has taken root here. Sometimes comments are comments they don't MEAN TO PERSONALLY OFFEND YOU, especially when you're stating :fax:

You are 6-10x more likely to die on a bike than a car per mile driven. Does it mean you're DEAD? No? Does this mean that if you decided to rail a bunch trannies without rubber in Thailand vs giving it to your wife once a month is more likely to get you the HIVYGIVY :fuckyeah: it does... just :fax:

This also goes for things like "what is a fun 365 day car" not a "fun 365 day car for ME since I just BOUGHT IT". That wasn't the question. Sames goes with :truk: 's being "fun to drive" . It becomes an argument about semantics, more so than PERSONALLY TRYING TO STICK IT TO YOU, that's not the point.

:triggered: :plac: :triggered:
Last edited by max225 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:28 am

Oh really? Last year I got yelled at by :mahtroy: who was parked in the corner in his Chrysler Sebring who told me it's private property and to :gtfo:
was that guy from Trenton too, even Trudy's gas station attendant looked like a customer there :lol: minty clean sherry's doe, probably a white guy at heart.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:12 pm "according to this forum" has really been taken out of context.
:snowflake: It is all about me comments and everyone else is :wrong: has taken root here. Sometimes comments are comments they don't MEAN TO PERSONALLY OFFEND YOU, especially when you're stating :fax:

You are 6-10x more likely to die on a bike than a car per mile driven. Does it mean you're DEAD? No? Does this mean that if you decided to rail a bunch trannies without rubber in Thailand vs giving it to your wife once a month is more likely to get you the HIVYGIVY :fuckyeah: it does... just :fax:

This also goes for things like "what is a fun 365 day car" not a "fun 365 day car for ME since I just BOUGHT IT". That wasn't the question. Sames goes with :truk: 's being "fun to drive" . It becomes an argument about semantics, more so than PERSONALLY TRYING TO STICK IT TO YOU, that's not the point.

:triggered: :plac: :triggered:
According to this forum, you're :wrong: