Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm Bought for $50K. Worth $500K. Inflation break-even is at $350K.

$150K overtop of keeping up with inflation on a property that can be lived on? Yeah, that's a pretty good gain.
True, the ability to live in/rent is a game changer on the investment for sure. That makes it harder to gauge how much the market actually outperforms real estate.
Yeah add up 50 years of rent...
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Over 50 years? Not really.

Look up what the market has done in that time.
Bought for $50K. Worth $500K. Inflation break-even is at $350K.

$150K overtop of keeping up with inflation on a property that can be lived on? Yeah, that's a pretty good gain.
It doesn't factor in things like interest/prop taxes which are huge opportunity costs. That 50k in the stock market would have had a much higher yield.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:29 pm

It doesn't factor in things like interest/prop taxes which are huge opportunity costs. That 50k in the stock market would have had a much higher yield.
Unless that $50K went into things like RKO Radio and Studebaker.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:51 pm

:dat: is true.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

I would be a ton of cash if it was in the S&P, but we don't know if they paid cash or did a 30 year loan on it, meaning they didn't have the investment into the market to make those gains.

My Grandmother bought her house in 1965 for $24 or $25k in Mountain View and did a few mortgages on it over time. In the end in 2000 it was worth $1.9M. I think the Bay Area beat out the stock market with "old property", but not too many other places did. There were some lean years on the S&P though that would take some balls to ride it out and not pull the money.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:57 pm

I would be a ton of cash if it was in the S&P, but we don't know if they paid cash or did a 30 year loan on it, meaning they didn't have the investment into the market to make those gains.

My Grandmother bought her house in 1965 for $24 or $25k in Mountain View and did a few mortgages on it over time. In the end in 2000 it was worth $1.9M. I think the Bay Area beat out the stock market with "old property", but not too many other places did. There were some lean years on the S&P though that would take some balls to ride it out and not pull the money.
All time highs on everything here again, stock + property, lunacy...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:05 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:57 pm

All time highs on everything here again, stock + property, lunacy...
Well, it’s pretty much all time highs forever until they cease, and then the whole system will :nuke:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:19 pm My rental is a giant brand new Chrysler Pacifica minivan.

Dis a big bitch. Comically large. I don't like the heated steering wheel. Brakes are horrific.

Should be a good highway cruiser. We'll find out tomorrow.
:wrong:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:19 pm My rental is a giant brand new Chrysler Pacifica minivan.

Dis a big bitch. Comically large. I don't like the heated steering wheel. Brakes are horrific.

Should be a good highway cruiser. We'll find out tomorrow.
Not wrong. The wife unit would love it for sure. But for me it just means I’ll be sweating even quicker. When it’s cold out you dress for cold. When you sit in a car dressed for cold and are immediately assaulted with heat wattage from every angle you over heat.

What makes it worse is the buttons for this frippery are buried in the touch screen so you have no idea if they are on until it’s too late.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:15 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Not wrong. The wife unit would love it for sure. But for me it just means I’ll be sweating even quicker. When it’s cold out you dress for cold. When you sit in a car dressed for cold and are immediately assaulted with heat wattage from every angle you over heat.

What makes it worse is the buttons for this frippery are buried in the touch screen so you have no idea if they are on until it’s too late.
I think you can make it a favorite so it's visible all the time, but a physical button would be nice.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I'm still holding onto my Studebaker and Pony Express stocks. They're on the verge of a comeback. :wap:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

wap wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:56 pm

I'm still holding onto my Studebaker and Pony Express stocks. They're on the verge of a comeback. :wap:
Psssh. Get with the times. Sell them junk stocks and pick up some Enron and AOL pronto. Those are the comeback kings.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:14 am
wap wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Psssh. Get with the times. Sell them junk stocks and pick up some Enron and AOL pronto. Those are the comeback kings.
I want to know how much AOL spent on those promo CDs...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:26 am
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:14 am

Bruh when I worked at AOL (quit at the end of '17) the amount of :wap: still using AOL desktop was staggering.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:26 am

Bruh when I worked at AOL (quit at the end of '17) the amount of :wap: still using AOL desktop was staggering.
:mindblown:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:28 am

:mindblown:
There was an entire support site in Canada dedicated to AOL desktop installation calls.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure one of the real high up programmers was flicking the bean while messaging us about how Chris Evans is the perfect Captain America. There were wine emojis and talks about the movie then silence for 20min. "My wine is gone and I'm beat I'm gonna go to bed I'll check in with you guys when I get to the office tomorrow". All on the company Slack
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

They existed in '17?

Shit, we reused their 3.5 floppy discs for years before CDs.... they were a joke back then.
Johnny_P

So nobody cares but since nobody asked....

The Chrysler Soho apartment on wheels isn't too terrible.

Good stereo with lots of bass and HD radio.
:dedong: uconnect screen is alright.
Clear gauges, info screen is slow to load but whatever.
Rides awesome, soaks up everything you feel nothing in this.
Generally comfortable.
It's actually pretty difficult to care about anything at all while driving it.
Pretty bitchin' interior.
V6 / 9AT has good power

Every turn of the wheel is met with understeer.
Try to take off spiritedly from a stop light and its wheel hop, torque steer, and no traction city. Max would love it, smoke those tars. FWD, this would be an absolute nightmare in any snow/ice condition.
16 MPG
Transmission is autistic. It's rough on some shifts, clunks on downshifts, takes 2-3 seconds to downshift on the highway, throttle confuses it sometimes it does nothing sometimes it drops 4 gears, and occasionally if you're coasting and it decides to shift it will speed up the car. It's better than the schizophrenic one in the 2014 Cherokee I drove but not worlds better.
Brakes are awful.
Seat cushion is too short.
3,000 miles and the white leather steering wheel is already stained.
Why is everything buried in that damn touch screen?

Overall, meh. Good for people that don't care at all. Good overall for a family but the amount of front end plow at every speed is alarming.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:22 pm So nobody cares but since nobody asked....

Generally comfortable.
V6 / 9AT has good power

Try to take off spiritedly from a stop light and its wheel hop, torque steer, and no traction city. Max would love it, smoke those tars. FWD, this would be an absolute nightmare in any snow/ice condition.
16 MPG
Transmission is autistic. It's rough on some shifts, clunks on downshifts, takes 2-3 seconds to downshift on the highway, throttle confuses it sometimes it does nothing sometimes it drops 4 gears, and occasionally if you're coasting and it decides to shift it will speed up the car. It's better than the schizophrenic one in the 2014 Cherokee I drove but not worlds better.
Brakes are awful.

Overall, meh. Good for people that don't care at all. Good overall for a family but the amount of front end plow at every speed is alarming.
This all sounds pretty accurate for a minivan IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:22 pm So nobody cares but since nobody asked....

Generally comfortable.
V6 / 9AT has good power

16 MPG
Brakes are awful.

I wonder what the weight distribution is on that thing..70% front 30% rear, especially during braking... Terrifying when coupled with a Mount Everest center of gravity.

Overall it sounds really similar to a 2014/15 model or so I had ... the stow and go seating is insane, it turns the van into a giant apartment swallowing moving machine which is what we used it for.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:48 pm

Generally comfortable.
V6 / 9AT has good power

16 MPG
Brakes are awful.

I wonder what the weight distribution is on that thing..70% front 30% rear, especially during braking... Terrifying when coupled with a Mount Everest center of gravity.

Overall it sounds really similar to a 2014/15 model or so I had ... the stow and go seating is insane, it turns the van into a giant apartment swallowing moving machine which is what we used it for.
:whocares: about driving dynamics in a fucking mobile apartment. Brakes need to be good, that's about it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:50 pm

:whocares: about driving dynamics in a fucking mobile apartment. Brakes need to be good, that's about it.
The way the :derp: 's drive them would make a Kamikaze pilot squirm.
Johnny_P

It wants to plow off the road taking a ramp 5 over the yellow speed advisor sign. Truly horrific road manners.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:50 pm
The way the :derp: 's drive them would make a Kamikaze pilot squirm.
I don't see how improved driving dynamics would improve that. Those people have nothing left to lose, so they drive with reckless abandon.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:55 pm
It wants to plow off the road taking a ramp 5 over the yellow speed advisor sign. Truly horrific road manners.
Can't really go against physics. I can't do much over 5 over the advisor sign on most ramps in my JL or JT.