Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:32 am The interior, while nice looking, has some very :wtf: moments. Both wife and I cant stand the new "bump" shifter with the push button park. The touchpad + wheel is only slightly better and still dislike.

This isn't as bad as you think.

We rent a lot of A4s and Q5s, like at least once a month when we go to Vegas and this shifter seemed stupid at first but after the first day you get used to it and start to like it. At least my wife and I did and she's not easy to get to change her mind on something.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 am And I took my :gorf: through an automated car wash over the weekend. :dafuq: is wrong with me?

Where do I turn in my DFD card?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
:mahman:
My car hasn't been washed since July
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:42 am
dubshow wrote:The interior, while nice looking, has some very :wtf: moments. Both wife and I cant stand the new "bump" shifter with the push button park. The touchpad + wheel is only slightly better and still dislike.

What about a used X3 M40 or whatever they're called? They have about 340ish hp IIRC. They might be too new :doe:

those are $$$.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://youtu.be/nvTzcNtaSLU

Man this Engineer is top notch .... epic Vid
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

The touchpad is kinda odd.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:42 am What about a used X3 M40 or whatever they're called? They have about 340ish hp IIRC. They might be too new :doe:

those are $$$.
They're not too far out of the price range. Even if you don't get the M40i, why not look at a regular one with the 6 cylinder.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:06 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 am And I took my :gorf: through an automated car wash over the weekend. :dafuq: is wrong with me?

:impressive:

You probably can't even take it through an automated one because of the wang.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Mine either. The snow too care of it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:17 am
coogles wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:19 am

Pretty sure the new ones have a touch pad. I know the Q7s do.
We went and looked. Yes, a touchpad with the scroll wheel. :flaccid: WHY DO THEY TRY TO MAKE TECH SO FANCY ONLY FOR IT TO WORK WORSE. BMW is guilty of this too.
Yup. I swear this is half the reason :tits: chose the Atlas. Everything is easy to use, it's laid out simply and is 100% intuitive.

The only :rage: -inducing feature is adaptive cruise. She absolutely cannot stand it, but the only way to kill it and have regular cruise control is to disable all of the front assist safety features and the center screen in the cluster lights up like the car is about to explode when you do. She now refuses to use cruise control at all like she's driving her '97 Cavalier from high school. She was also very :wtf: when it was snowing and the car gave all sorts of messages about the front collision warning not working. It's all stupid.

Need to do some digging in VagCom to see if the front assist safety features can be disabled without the car getting :triggered:. Seems the only one VW is okay with the driver turning off is lane keep assist, which we did before we left the dealer lot. :lolol:
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am

12 bucket method or bust
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:17 am

We went and looked. Yes, a touchpad with the scroll wheel. :flaccid: WHY DO THEY TRY TO MAKE TECH SO FANCY ONLY FOR IT TO WORK WORSE. BMW is guilty of this too.
Yup. I swear this is half the reason :tits: chose the Atlas. Everything is easy to use, it's laid out simply and is 100% intuitive.

The only :rage: -inducing feature is adaptive cruise. She absolutely cannot stand it, but the only way to kill it and have regular cruise control is to disable all of the front assist safety features and the center screen in the cluster lights up like the car is about to explode when you do. She now refuses to use cruise control at all like she's driving her '97 Cavalier from high school. She was also very :wtf: when it was snowing and the car gave all sorts of messages about the front collision warning not working. It's all stupid.

Need to do some digging in VagCom to see if the front assist safety features can be disabled without the car getting :triggered:. Seems the only one VW is okay with the driver turning off is lane keep assist, which we did before we left the dealer lot. :lolol:
Maybe follow distance can be adjusted in vag com?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:40 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am

12 bucket method or bust
I haven't washed my truck since Drummond Island. I cant' see out of the windows from mud. I'll probably run it through a wash on the way home and ruin it forever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:40 am

12 bucket method or bust
I haven't washed my truck since Drummond Island. I cant' see out of the windows from mud. I'll probably run it through a wash on the way home and ruin it forever.
You know it’s pretty interesting I wonder if Jeep Wrangler paint in particular is more durable but it seems that it takes to abuse quite well.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am
You know it’s pretty interesting I wonder if Jeep Wrangler paint in particular is more durable but it seems that it takes to abuse quite well.
That was the case on my JK, we'll see how the JT stands up.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:51 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 am

It’s not like it’s made in a different fucktory...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:53 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:51 am
It’s not like it’s made in a different fucktory...
Yea, just don't know if paints have changed, thickness, etc. I doubt it.

Also, being retina searing orange makes it harder to see swirl marks and pinstriping. That's the point of the color IMO.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am Maybe follow distance can be adjusted in vag com?
It can be adjusted in the car, actually. There are four positions, but the farthest two are ridiculously long and no one would ever use them. The real problems are -
  • The follow distance doesn't adjust for speed. If you set the cruise speed for 77, let's say, you might want the follow distance at the second option, but if you approach slower traffic and have to slow to 60, it keeps the exact same following distance even though you're now going slower and wouldn't need as much distance to brake. It obviously annoys other drivers in these instances so you just end up turning it off and then resuming like you would with regular cruise control.
  • It takes too long to register when you've changed lanes and can pick up speed again. With normal cruise I hit Resume before changing lanes so that the car starts building speed before moving back into faster traffic. With ACC there's a noticeable delay from when you change lanes to when the car registers that there is no longer slower traffic in front of the car and begins to accelerate. You end up pressing the gas on your own anyway to start accelerating earlier or risk getting run over.
  • It's completely bass-ackwards with how early it slows down the vehicle from traffic ahead. In that 77mph example, if the car in front is going 74 it'll slow down the vehicle extremely early - I'd glance down at the speedo wondering why we've slowed down when we're still a million and one car lengths from the vehicle in front of us. But if the car in front is going 60 it'll run right up on that car's ass within 3ish car lengths before hitting the correct follow distance and matching that car's speed.
None if it is remotely convenient or confidence-inspiring. On our last road trip I ended up turning it off too and just used a steady right foot as my "cruise control". Fuck all that shit.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:26 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 am

those are $$$.
They're not too far out of the price range. Even if you don't get the M40i, why not look at a regular one with the 6 cylinder.

those are flying mid to high 40s. We looking at $40k and under.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:12 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am Maybe follow distance can be adjusted in vag com?
It can be adjusted in the car, actually. There are four positions, but the farthest two are ridiculously long and no one would ever use them. The real problems are -
  • The follow distance doesn't adjust for speed. If you set the cruise speed for 77, let's say, you might want the follow distance at the second option, but if you approach slower traffic and have to slow to 60, it keeps the exact same following distance even though you're now going slower and wouldn't need as much distance to brake. It obviously annoys other drivers in these instances so you just end up turning it off and then resuming like you would with regular cruise control.
  • It takes too long to register when you've changed lanes and can pick up speed again. With normal cruise I hit Resume before changing lanes so that the car starts building speed before moving back into faster traffic. With ACC there's a noticeable delay from when you change lanes to when the car registers that there is no longer slower traffic in front of the car and begins to accelerate. You end up pressing the gas on your own anyway to start accelerating earlier or risk getting run over.
  • It's completely bass-ackwards with how early it slows down the vehicle from traffic ahead. In that 77mph example, if the car in front is going 74 it'll slow down the vehicle extremely early - I'd glance down at the speedo wondering why we've slowed down when we're still a million and one car lengths from the vehicle in front of us. But if the car in front is going 60 it'll run right up on that car's ass within 3ish car lengths before hitting the correct follow distance and matching that car's speed.
None if it is remotely convenient or confidence-inspiring. On our last road trip I ended up turning it off too and just used a steady right foot as my "cruise control". Fuck all that shit.
This is exactly why I have zero interest in adaptive cruise...normal cruise is easier.

I like the concept of adaptive cruise, and hopefully the feature develops a bit with time, but there's so many limitations with safety and liability, it's tough to make it better.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:26 am

those are flying mid to high 40s. We looking at $40k and under.
Regular ones with the 6 are well under 40k. Certified too.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:iono:

My ACC works fine. I've never used cruise control more than in this car.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 am

Mine either. The snow too care of it.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:bruh: :wtf:

Naaah man I take the BMW through the TOUCH wash like twice monthly... I've hand washed that piece one time I think. I will start washing the C5 once we're in our :haus: but I think I'll just roll through AutoBell in the 328i :aintcare: I do look forward to a full detail on both though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:56 am

This is exactly why I have zero interest in adaptive cruise...normal cruise is easier.

I like the concept of adaptive cruise, and hopefully the feature develops a bit with time, but there's so many limitations with safety and liability, it's tough to make it better.
:dat:

I don't really like driver aids... I am turning into such a forum :bruh: :wap: because I don't want any new tech. Coogle's experience sounds :disgust: I loved the 2018 Si I rented a few weeks back but the tech was annoying as hell. Hated adaptive cruise in the 2017 Camry which was otherwise really nice.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:neat:

Would hoon a V4 lightweight thing. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... k_gzwWaNIA
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...