Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:36 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:34 pm

The corvettes are just price creeping with each gen by around 10k. So that keeps the peasants within their own gens. Honestly near 20k for a clean C5 is nuts... that's where we are... a clean C6 is close to 30k, a clean c7 is 40k. This won't change with a 60-130k C8
I have proof this is not the case
I sold my 2002 EB C5 with 59k miles for 17k 5 years ago... it seems like that's where they are now... still... that's just nuts... it should be a 4 figure vehicle tops.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:33 pm Low ish mileage LS3 cars are in the mid 20s. That's my next :poorvette:
Yeah, the narrow body C6s are in the 20s. The LS2 cars are in the low 20s/high teens.

The early Z06s are in the low 30s at this point.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:37 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:34 pm I came in here to discuss the C8.
I think we may need a C8 bread.
Good call.

Done.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:39 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:33 pm Low ish mileage LS3 cars are in the mid 20s. That's my next :poorvette:
Yeah, the narrow body C6s are in the 20s. The LS2 cars are in the low 20s/high teens.

The early Z06s are in the low 30s at this point.
Narrow body z51 w/ both tops for me please. By the time I'm ready to buy one I suspect they'll be 20-22k
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:36 pm
I have proof this is not the case
I sold my 2002 EB C5 with 59k miles for 17k 5 years ago... it seems like that's where they are now... still... that's just nuts... it should be a 4 figure vehicle tops.
Oh, I see. Yea...they're mostly unchanged. Indeed, rather :mindblown: but I think there's more price pressure today.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:45 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Oh, I see. Yea...they're mostly unchanged. Indeed, rather :mindblown: but I think there's more price pressure today.
I sold before the C7 came out... and since the C7 came out it actually propped up C6 and C5 values, because somehow :derp: 's are just buying them because they are "the same" as a C7 but 50% cheaper... :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:45 pm
I sold before the C7 came out... and since the C7 came out it actually propped up C6 and C5 values, because somehow :derp: 's are just buying them because they are "the same" as a C7 but 50% cheaper... :fullretard:
I don't think they are actually buying these old cars. Listing prices =/= sale prices. I think they're selling for a lot less than asking, if at all.

I've been tempted to drop the price on my listing just to see how low I have to go to find interest...not to really sell it, but for :science:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:50 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm

I don't think they are actually buying these old cars. Listing prices =/= sale prices. I think they're selling for a lot less than asking, if at all.

I've been tempted to drop the price on my listing just to see how low I have to go to find interest...not to really sell it, but for :science:
Why not?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:50 pm

Why not?
Good point.

$19,500 = zero inquiries
$18,500 = zero inquiries
$17,500 = :popcorn:

I'll just keep going down to find what it takes to even get a low baller to hit me up.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Why not?
Good point.

$19,500 = zero inquiries
$18,500 = zero inquiries

I'll just keep going down to find what it takes to even get a low baller to hit me up.
I had a really hard time selling my 370z, which i should have never sold... went from 25k down to 21k, at which point i traded it to a :dillerman: because everyone wasn't willing to pay for it... i should have never sold it.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:55 pm
Good point.

$19,500 = zero inquiries
$18,500 = zero inquiries

I had a really hard time selling my 370z, which i should have never sold... went from 25k down to 21k, at which point i traded it to a :dillerman: because everyone wasn't willing to pay for it... i should have never sold it.
I HATE selling cars.

But I also don't want to give the car away. I'm still not really actively trying to sell it, just absolutely :mindblown: that it's like the car isn't even listed. 100% complete radio silence.
Huckleberry

Why not?
Good point.

$19,500 = zero inquiries
$18,500 = zero inquiries

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:57 pm
I HATE selling cars.

But I also don't want to give the car away. I'm still not really actively trying to sell it, just absolutely :mindblown: that it's like the car isn't even listed. 100% complete radio silence.
Selling cars is awful man... buying them isn't great either.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I HATE selling cars.

ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:19 pm
I HATE selling cars.

Big time. Dealing with both right now :rolleyes:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

I HATE selling cars.

This is exactly why I never sell a car and I always eat a bit of cost at the expense of convenience and just trade them in.

I work the trade in to something I think is fair in about an hour's time that would have had me dealing with tire kickers, emails of people that eventually just ghost me anyway, and low ballers for weeks/months.

I've only sold one car that I would call easy and fair, and that was my C5 on ebay to a dude in Alaska that flew in to pick it up. Still a bit of a hassle, but better than any other time I tried to sell directly. My 4th gen SS was a nightmare when the kid blew up the engine and tried to get the shop that built it to warranty it, then later asked if I would lie to the shop and say I still owned it so it would be fixed.. after the shop knew he bought it from me as he was bragging about it. :derp:
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Well... You have all the time in the world... its kind of a shitty time to buy ... I'd wait to labor day... which is when the lease is up anyways... no need to dick around with the :dillerman: now... no :dill: 's to be had.
Huckleberry

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:26 pm
I HATE selling cars.

This is exactly why I never sell a car and I always eat a bit of cost at the expense of convenience and just trade them in.

I work the trade in to something I think is fair in about an hour's time that would have had me dealing with tire kickers, emails of people that eventually just ghost me anyway, and low ballers for weeks/months.

I've only sold one car that I would call easy and fair, and that was my C5 on ebay to a dude in Alaska that flew in to pick it up. Still a bit of a hassle, but better than any other time I tried to sell directly. My 4th gen SS was a nightmare when the kid blew up the engine and tried to get the shop that built it to warranty it, then later asked if I would lie to the shop and say I still owned it so it would be fixed.. after the shop knew he bought it from me as he was bragging about it. :derp:
That's with selling anything.

My house got put on to city water, so I listed the water softener system for sale. A guy emailed me with a few questions about the make and model, which I gave to him. He decided to buy the system, and I helped him load it up. About a month or so later, he started blowing up my phone saying his plumber told him that the system isn't sized correctly for his house and demanded a full refund because I sold him an incorrect system. When I told him I'm not a Home Depot, he started going on about how much of a dick I am for not standing behind my products.

So, I asked him to bring his receipt with his fucking used water softener from Craigslist. When he said he didn't have a receipt....

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:38 pm

My house got put on to city water, so I listed the water softener system for sale. A guy emailed me with a few questions about the make and model, which I gave to him. He decided to buy the system, and I helped him load it up. About a month or so later, he started blowing up my phone saying his plumber told him that the system isn't sized correctly for his house and demanded a full refund because I sold him an incorrect system. When I told him I'm not a Home Depot, he started going on about how much of a dick I am for not standing behind my products.

So, I asked him to bring his receipt with his fucking used water softener from Craigslist. When he said he didn't have a receipt....

:lolol:

Yeah, this is actually why I have a ton of expensive stuff sitting here right now.

I have about $4k in camera gear I can't use anymore, but I don't want to deal with trying to sell it. I really need to bite the bullet and list the stuff.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:24 pm
Well... You have all the time in the world... its kind of a shitty time to buy ... I'd wait to labor day... which is when the lease is up anyways... no need to dick around with the :dillerman: now... no :dill: 's to be had.
Yea...but I need the wife to hone in on something to :dill: on.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I HATE selling cars.

:wtf:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

I HATE selling cars.

Yea...I totally get that.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Yeah, this is actually why I have a ton of expensive stuff sitting here right now.

I have about $4k in camera gear I can't use anymore, but I don't want to deal with trying to sell it. I really need to bite the bullet and list the stuff.
We don't sell much either for these reasons. People are morans.
Huckleberry

Yep. I have a bunch of car and Lionel stuff that I need to list. I've been putting it off for a while now, but it is getting to be time to sell. The stuff isn't accruing interest in my basement.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Can always list it here. I like to think the people on this forum aren’t going to crang every nickel out of an honest, decent price on a used item.