Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:56 pm Whatever the reasons, they've ensured that I won't buy one. I'm not paying almost 40% extra - all of which is instantly flushed down the toilet of depreciation because options add no resale value - for shit that I don't even want. That's not a minor expense.
Yep, totally get it. That's my concern with all of these initiatives. Forcing people to buy a bunch of shit they don't want to get the one feature they do will turn them off from the vehicle entirely. On a vehicle like the Mustang, with buyers who are highly passionate looking for the exact vehicle that fits what they want, you can't really mess with it too much.

Someone at Ford who has no idea what the car is and the target market decided that Recaros are a premium option and they're executing to that plan. Makes zero sense to us, but perfect sense to me as an industry douche considering how few people care about the things they're working on.

I've really grown to hate this industry.
:notsure: mustang is the only product that seems to be outperforming everyone else in the Fraud lineup.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:42 pm Easy to vote with your wallet when you make huge bank, get employee deals, and just want a truck like everyone else.

The best I can do is to not buy things that I can't afford in the hopes that maybe someone will make fun things that aren't $40k+ but that's not really helping. What else do I do, spend money I don't have on things that I don't really want?
The next time something comes out in your price range that's close enough to what you want, buy it.

Clearly the Mustang is off the list...and that's good. If sales drop, they'll need to get creative with product offering.
:unicorn:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:42 pm Easy to vote with your wallet when you make huge bank, get employee deals, and just want a truck like everyone else.

The best I can do is to not buy things that I can't afford in the hopes that maybe someone will make fun things that aren't $40k+ but that's not really helping. What else do I do, spend money I don't have on things that I don't really want?
The next time something comes out in your price range that's close enough to what you want, buy it.

Clearly the Mustang is off the list...and that's good. If sales drop, they'll need to get creative with product offering.
They already just got with their bullitt edition, what's next? a Gone in 60 seconds ed (first one with the yellow)
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

The rate at which prices are increasing, along with TRUCKMANIA, makes it such that there's likely to never be anything remotely close to what I want at a price that I can afford new. Never has been, probably never will be. I'm too poor and too skinny.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm Someone at Ford who has no idea what the car is and the target market decided that —
I’m going to stop you right there and remind you that someone at Ford decided that they didn’t need to sell CARS anymore.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm Someone at Ford who has no idea what the car is and the target market decided that —
I’m going to stop you right there and remind you that someone at Ford decided that they didn’t need to sell CARS anymore.
Sir, please look at this Data!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 pm

They are not :wrong: look at this forum and how a bunch of car guys driving the worst driving things since the horse drawn carriage
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:08 pm

They are not :wrong: look at this forum and how a bunch of car guys driving the worst driving things since the horse drawn carriage
:howdareu: talk about your clown car that way
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

That truth bomb
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:44 pm

I have serious thoughts about purchasing the next gen 86 because of this... but then it will launch and be :flaccid: compared to my :poorvette: and that will be that.

I should’ve bought the Si to at least #savethemanuals
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat:

(Not directed at Max/Troy) but pot, meet kettle. Self proclaimed car bros who spend hours a week looking at cars on the web all drive :truk: :truk: :truk:

Basically synonymous with the :narc: other people’s :baby: should be euthanized hypocrisy.

Edit: I’m also no better buying used shit, not trying to point the finger at anyone really... but we have to understand and accept why things are the way they are. It’s honestly amazing there are so many fun options today.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:14 am

(Not directed at Max/Troy) but pot, meet kettle. Self proclaimed car bros who spend hours a week looking at cars on the web all drive :truk: :truk: :truk:

Basically synonymous with the :narc: other people’s :baby: should be euthanized hypocrisy.

Edit: I’m also no better buying used shit, not trying to point the finger at anyone really... but we have to understand and accept why things are the way they are. It’s honestly amazing there are so many fun options today.
I've completely lost interest in sports cars. While I'd be sad if they go away, it's pretty much :aintcare: to me. The environment I live in is terrible for fun cars. I have zero desire for another one. I get more enjoyment out of the top off in a :jeep: derping along :aintcare:

But for those bitching about their demise, look in the mirror if you haven't bought a new one recently.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Probably not the wrong decision considering how much vehicles cost to develop these days compared to the sales trends. Why invest billions into a declining segment? Objectively, it makes no sense.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:45 am

I've completely lost interest in sports cars. While I'd be sad if they go away, it's pretty much :aintcare: to me. The environment I live in is terrible for fun cars. I have zero desire for another one. I get more enjoyment out of the top off in a :jeep: derping along :aintcare:

But for those bitching about their demise, look in the mirror if you haven't bought a new one recently.
I'm sorry that most of our generation is squeezed financially in new and exciting ways that prevent most of us from buying a new car worth buying
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 am

Probably not the wrong decision considering how much vehicles cost to develop these days compared to the sales trends. Why invest billions into a declining segment? Objectively, it makes no sense.
:wrong:

Globally cars still dominate.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:56 am

Look at the sales trends. Crossovers are gaining EVERYWHERE
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 am

Look at the sales trends. Crossovers are gaining EVERYWHERE
Trends are just that.

Also a chicken and egg problem. Are people buying fewer cars because fewer cars are offered for sale?
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:wat:

I nutted up and bought the :gorf: on principles said here.

Also nearly everyone here has a cool car in garage. Very few have checked out of car world.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

NVM - restated what was already said in the edit
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:02 am

Also nearly everyone here has a cool car in garage. Very few have checked out of car world.
but, nobody buys new (mostly), which is what manufacturers care about
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dis. it's the only thing that keeps hope alive for the FiST in the US market...someday.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

We can all afford new cars when Trump makes them cheaper, safer, and run smoother.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:11 am

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:11 am

I guess? Mainly because its not affordable and the used market presents such a better :dill:

Being a "car guy" carries a lot of different meaning and crosses different segments. Rich/poor. DIY/pay for service. built/bought. etc.

Im pretty sure :waxer: is literally the only person in here that meets that ideal target of buying a new "enthusiast" car ever 1-2 years. Let that sink in for his demographic. so 1 of 30ish people?