Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:04 pm I've been to a few and the one thing that they all agree on is that maxing out tax-advantaged opportunities is the first priority. I'm actually :notsure: I agree with them because it keeps us from ever being able to move to a desirable area... but everyone says that if you need that money to buy a :haus: then you can't actually afford it... So CA or other nice places are forever a fantasy.
Yeah man... CA would be the best place for me given my industry but it is pretty tough to afford. I think it makes more sense to just make the most of it here.
Yesterday I learned an older person in a similar roll within my company makes a little less than what I do. They live in a large city in Cali. :yikes:

easily double the cost of living than here in the swamp.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:37 pm
max225 wrote:
Yea welcome to everyone life man. I can't pull the trigger on a house because as of this point in time i can "afford it" but ... who knows 1 year down the line or even 5... etc....
:doomed: is coming.
Doesn't carry much weight coming from you when you're already pretty much living the dream. Paid off 7 figure place in the perfect location with a great job? We aren't even remotely similar to each other. Move to the tundra and drop a zero off all of your account balances, then tell me how it's the same for all of us.
Job can be gone tomorrow and has been really stressful
You need 500k a year to be about "average" here in terms of family income. And if you want your kids to go to school with no crackheads ...
And no S bux baristas don't make 250k a year here... and it is ultra competitive as everyone applies here from all over the world.

Dream is in the eye of the beholder. I find myself wishing for a simpler life quite a bit. The amount of stress to maintain all this just sucks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/24/budget- ... erage.html

Yes you can live on ramen and then you're living on "ramen" while pulling in 1/2 a milskie a year.
Obviously not having crotchfruit is key...
max225

Above is just an example but there are others a bit more "accurate" than that... the issue is "you're only as rich as your neighbor" so yea... the amount of people making that kind of money here and being "broke" is staggering... cry us a river :whocares:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Your place is paid for and you have no debt and are locked into a super low tax basis. You can enjoy paradise and work at McDonald's stress-free for life.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:48 pm Your place is paid for and you have no debt and are locked into a super low tax basis. You can enjoy paradise and work at McDonald's stress-free for life.
I hate where I live... Place was purchase a while ago when I was in a much shittier job, and didn't have a significant other that was able to contribute...

The tax basis becomes irrelevant, because what does it matter... I know what it costs to live in a place that I like... 1.2-1.5M which is :disgust: that's also on the CHEAP side here... peninsula/SF is 2/3x that.
max225

That said without having exact details of :waxer: 's income as it is none of my business he is able to do what he does due to being in a similar sitch +15 years of work+ no CF. That opens up 100k disposable income for toys.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:48 pm Your place is paid for and you have no debt and are locked into a super low tax basis. You can enjoy paradise and work at McDonald's stress-free for life.
I hate where I live... Place was purchase a while ago when I was in a much shittier job, and didn't have a significant other that was able to contribute...

The tax basis becomes irrelevant, because what does it matter... I know what it costs to live in a place that I like... 1.2-1.5M which is :disgust: that's also on the CHEAP side here... peninsula/SF is 2/3x that.
Come on out to Corning if you hate your place so much. I'll trade you. We're both in the same boat, right?
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:00 pm
max225 wrote:

Come on out to Corning if you hate your place so much. I'll trade you. We're both in the same boat, right?
Last I checked I don't have the opportunity for a Job as I hold now in Corning. I am not looking to leave the state... I am just saying that unless you got even "luckier" than myself it costs an arm and a leg to live here for everyone.

i am doing what you're doing, " cheaping out" in order to save more... which is why I got a clown car and which is why I live in my current shithole
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:00 pm Come on out to Corning if you hate your place so much. I'll trade you. We're both in the same boat, right?
Last I checked I don't have the opportunity for a Job as I hold now in Corning. I am not looking to leave the state... I am just saying that unless you got even "luckier" than myself it costs an arm and a leg to live here for everyone.

i am doing what you're doing, " cheaping out" in order to save more... which is why I got a clown car and which is why I live in my current shithole
Yeah you're slumming it in a million dollar place in the middle of utopia. Just like me... :rolleyes:

I'd fucking kill for your place.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 pm
max225 wrote: Last I checked I don't have the opportunity for a Job as I hold now in Corning. I am not looking to leave the state... I am just saying that unless you got even "luckier" than myself it costs an arm and a leg to live here for everyone.

Yeah you're slumming it in a million dollar place in the middle of utopia. Just like me... :rolleyes:

So why don't you guys move... we have record unemployment ... take the plunge bruh, doesn't require a murder. Rent at first... not like you have kids or the works tieing you down. see if this is a place for you. You only get one shot at life...
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 pm Yeah you're slumming it in a million dollar place in the middle of utopia. Just like me... :rolleyes:

So why don't you guys move... we have record unemployment ... take the plunge bruh, doesn't require a murder. Rent at first... not like you have kids or the works tieing you down. see if this is a place for you. You only get one shot at life...
Can't get jobs or buy a :haus: at 2009 prices. No :alpo:

Murder would be easier.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:32 pm
max225 wrote:
Can't get jobs or buy a :haus: at 2009 prices. No :alpo:

Murder would be easier.
If you two make 140k a year you can "slum" it in a 700k place here. Yes it will be sub 1500 sq feet and have at most a small driveway and a 1/2 gayrage, but you wanted to move... so why the fk not? You two seem like you have savings to float you for a few months in case the job search takes a bit longer. Mortgage is going to be around 3,500 a month including prop taxes and you put around 120k down which I am sure you have or can pull from the 401k.
troyguitar

That's total, not each! This ain't :alpo: land. More like $400k :haus: budget at the very most.

Either way, ain't nobody hiring us. We're at the only place she could get an offer after a year of applications.

max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:38 pm That's total, not each! This ain't :alpo: land. More like $400k :haus: budget at the very most.

Either way, ain't nobody hiring us. We're at the only place she could get an offer after a year of applications.
140 is enough ... for 2 and a 700k shitty house ... both of y’all can easily make 70 each here. Minimum wage is $15 an hr in sf ... You’re somewhat capable no ?
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:38 pm That's total, not each! This ain't :alpo: land. More like $400k :haus: budget at the very most.

140 is enough ... for 2 and a 700k shitty house ... both of y’all can easily make 70 each here. Minimum wage is $15 an hr in sf ... You’re somewhat capable no ?
I'm worthless. She's the one with the real résumé... and no one will hire her, so we are in BFE hating life. 5x gross on a :haus: is insane anyway. We can't get there. It's too late.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Do you have a financial advisor?
I've been to a few and the one thing that they all agree on is that maxing out tax-advantaged opportunities is the first priority. I'm actually :notsure: I agree with them because it keeps us from ever being able to move to a desirable area... but everyone says that if you need that money to buy a :haus: then you can't actually afford it... So CA or other nice places are forever a fantasy.
My financial guy told me to stop putting money in my 401k :popcorn:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:25 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:04 pm I've been to a few and the one thing that they all agree on is that maxing out tax-advantaged opportunities is the first priority. I'm actually :notsure: I agree with them because it keeps us from ever being able to move to a desirable area... but everyone says that if you need that money to buy a :haus: then you can't actually afford it... So CA or other nice places are forever a fantasy.
And put it where ? What’s his recipe for a 35% annualized return ? ( tax savings + 5% annualized returns)
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:25 pm

And put it where ? What’s his recipe for a 35% annualized return ? ( tax savings + 5% annualized returns)
IRA
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
:caspian:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:02 pm
IRA
What’s the recco here ? What’s the benefit ?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:14 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:18 pm just enjoy what this :fullretard: :derp: said

https://drivetribe.com/p/man-surprised- ... xhaLmixHqw
I guess he found out that he was only considered quick in his 2000s Honda club.
Its like the EM1 civics at the meet are pretty much bowing down to him, cause he got an Acura
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

IRA
In4details? There’s really not much difference from what I understand? With IRA you have a choice of who holds it I guess, but at least contributing to any company match seems crazy not to do.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 am

IRA
In4details? There’s really not much difference from what I understand? With IRA you have a choice of who holds it I guess, but at least contributing to any company match seems crazy not to do.
Do the company match for sure that’s just free money.
He was suggesting to divert to a Roth IRA because of the income tax bracket I’ll be in when I retire. Taxes overall are low now so take advantage of it.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:35 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:01 pm

mustang is very much a go to jail speed car. It was about neck and neck with :melon: before gears, then had a slight advantage on intersate pulls because 420 hp. Im sure your z06 is faster but not by much. Its a very fast car :mahtroy:
:whocares: about the top speeds, I want to hear cool vroom vroom noises without going to jail so the 10-speed + 5.0 is about the best option short of a Ferrari 458 or something like an old Honda CBR250RR. Top of 3rd gear in the rustang is roughly the same as the top of 2nd was in my :poorvette: - so a rustang would give you 50% more vrooms per MPH. :plac: :math:

This obsession with street racing is hard to understand for me. How do you guys do that shit without getting tickets?
I just stick to the back roads. Cops tend to not hang out on the back roads.

Also, that's just for driving quickly. The cam's brubs in my GTO tends to have people shy away from wanting to race.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:14 am

I guess he found out that he was only considered quick in his 2000s Honda club.
Its like the EM1 civics at the meet are pretty much bowing down to him, cause he got an Acura
Not just an Acura, an Acura with a V6.