Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

@Troy if you don't fucking buy this car....

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... -(3-6l-V6)
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:10 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Interesting. I have been wanting to send my oil out ever since I heard of Blackstone (ie Shortly after buying the :mk6: ) . Of course that was 120k farts and ~15 oil changes ago. Kind of a moot point now as I really just want to get another year out of the car before upgrading to a used :gorf:

But actually, maybe not if I am sticking with 2.0T Dublyfe. I have a theory that the cheaper oils (Walmart Mobile 1 or Castrol GTX) are contributing to the carbon fouling issue in these cars. Reason being that they "burn" off but the more expensive German Oils do not.
I ran the low SAPS (supposedly better for DI motors) Motul 5w-40 in my MK6 and had to have the valves cleaned at 50k. My friend with a MK6 GLI ran nothing but dealer bulk Castrol 5w40 in his and didn't need a carbon clean yet at 110k when he sold it. IMO it has much more to do with how hard the car is driven and for how long. The longer the trips and the hotter the motor gets, the fewer issues they seem to have. I live in the city and do a lot of short tripping, which is terrible for DI motors.
Very interesting... Carbon clean Every 50K is exactly what I have experienced with 90% 65-75mph highway driving.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CaleDeRoo wrote:@Troy if you don't fucking buy this car....

:notbad:

I think that I'll probably end up with an ATS sedan with that engine. It'll likely be between that and a C5 when the time comes. My RX8 was a lot of fun :doe:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:22 pm Uber drivers that buy new cars are just epic :derp: s
That Santa Fe also had 10k miles, in NYC :impressive: jamaican accent :mahtroy: with the new car smell
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:38 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:@Troy if you don't fucking buy this car....

:notbad:

I think that I'll probably end up with an ATS sedan with that engine. It'll likely be between that and a C5 when the time comes. My RX8 was a lot of fun :doe:
This is like the perfect rx8 to me. Would love to drive it. 2800lbs and 320whp.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I hope there's more LFX swaps in the future. It's really a great engine for something small/light.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 am I hope there's more LFX swaps in the future. It's really a great engine for something small/light.
Yeah he said the weight gain in the front was 50lbs but the battery is relocated to the trunk so really it's almost nothing. That engine with the 3.91 rear end in that car must be amazing.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:59 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 am I hope there's more LFX swaps in the future. It's really a great engine for something small/light.
Yeah he said the weight gain in the front was 50lbs but the battery is relocated to the trunk so really it's almost nothing. That engine with the 3.91 rear end in that car must be amazing.
I bet it's a riot.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

The LFX is a good engine. I think GM finally figured out the timing chain issues, too. The only downside of the LFX is that its overhead cam design makes it a bulkier package than an overhead valve engine, so it may not fit as easily into a chassis like an LV3 will. However, the LFX is much more plentiful than the LV3, and has factory tunes for both auto and manual transmissions.

Just like any other non-V8 GM engine, these swaps won't ever prove nearly as popular simply because the cost for swapping in either engine is going to be about the same, and the V8 will always make more power per dollar spent.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:13 am The LFX is a good engine. I think GM finally figured out the timing chain issues, too. The only downside of the LFX is that its overhead cam design makes it a bulkier package than an overhead valve engine, so it may not fit as easily into a chassis like an LV3 will. However, the LFX is much more plentiful than the LV3, and has factory tunes for both auto and manual transmissions.

Just like any other non-V8 GM engine, these swaps won't ever prove nearly as popular simply because the cost for swapping in either engine is going to be about the same, and the V8 will always make more power per dollar spent.
I loved the LV3 in my Silverado. That thing is such an under-appreciated engine. I'm surprised more haven't attempted swaps with it in tight engine bays...there should be a ton of them out there.

I wish the 4.3 was in the Colorado instead of the 3.6. The extra torque would be incredible...I'd probably keep my truck if that was the case. I can't stand towing with my 3.6.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:24 am
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:13 am The LFX is a good engine. I think GM finally figured out the timing chain issues, too. The only downside of the LFX is that its overhead cam design makes it a bulkier package than an overhead valve engine, so it may not fit as easily into a chassis like an LV3 will. However, the LFX is much more plentiful than the LV3, and has factory tunes for both auto and manual transmissions.

I loved the LV3 in my Silverado. That thing is such an under-appreciated engine. I'm surprised more haven't attempted swaps with it in tight engine bays...there should be a ton of them out there.

I wish the 4.3 was in the Colorado instead of the 3.6. The extra torque would be incredible...I'd probably keep my truck if that was the case. I can't stand towing with my 3.6.
GM's decision making always has me baffled. They go out of their way to make a clean-sheet V6 specifically for trucks, but then opt not to use it in all of their trucks.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 am

GM's decision making always has me baffled. They go out of their way to make a clean-sheet V6 specifically for trucks, but then opt not to use it in all of their trucks.
It makes absolutely zero sense. I argued with people about it when I was there...here's how clueless people were...

Me: We should put the LV3 in the Colorado
GM Derps: But the LGZ has more horsepower
Me: But it's a truck, people want torque and the LV3 delivers
GM Derps: Yea, but then we won't be class leading HP
Me: It doesn't matter, truck people want torque
GM Derp: This is a midsize truck, it's different

:rolleyes:

All midsize trucks have high winding V6's from cars. GM is the only company with an excellent torquey V6. The only thing people like about the Ranger is the torque from the 2.3T. GM really could have lead with the 4.3.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:22 pm Uber drivers that buy new cars are just epic :derp: s
Yeah man. Best was two dudes that could hardly speak English here as Uber drivers in a brand freaking new Lexus RX350. That truck was awesome.
I have a feeling he got cosigned by a relative, hence how he got the car. I swear when someone from a country like Turkey, eurasian countries and the like, when they find out about $700/month lease on a maserati, its literally like someone drops a crumb of bread and these people are like ants, they would just go for it. They don't read about downpayment or credit qualifications.

Funny thing is, my turkish friend who got here for college and now works here, I remember him telling me that americans who makes more money than us buy cars like accords etc. he was :mindblown: when I explained whats up and how i was first confused, because muricanized
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The LFX has exhaust manifolds integrated into the cylinder head which should make packaging easier than a typical dohc v6. Plus in a sports car it's nice to be able to spin it to 7500rpm.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:36 am
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 am

It makes absolutely zero sense. I argued with people about it when I was there...here's how clueless people were...

Me: We should put the LV3 in the Colorado
GM Derps: But the LGZ has more horsepower
Me: But it's a truck, people want torque and the LV3 delivers
GM Derps: Yea, but then we won't be class leading HP
Me: It doesn't matter, truck people want torque
GM Derp: This is a midsize truck, it's different

:rolleyes:

All midsize trucks have high winding V6's from cars. GM is the only company with an excellent torquey V6. The only thing people like about the Ranger is the torque from the 2.3T. GM really could have lead with the 4.3.
You should have reminded them that their entire midsized line-up used to include the 4.3 as an option until GM tried experimenting with the inline 5 cylinder, and that was back when their midsized trucks were the dimensions of their old fullsizers.
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:51 am

The LFX has exhaust manifolds integrated into the cylinder head which should make packaging easier than a typical dohc v6. Plus in a sports car it's nice to be able to spin it to 7500rpm.
The integrated exhaust manifolds is a nice feature. However, 7500 is attainable for OHV engines, too. It is all in the cam and valvetrain selection.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:12 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:51 am
The integrated exhaust manifolds is a nice feature. However, 7500 is attainable for OHV engines, too. It is all in the cam and valvetrain selection.
Yes that's true. I'm just not sure I'm personally the type of guy to go full Dplac on the 4.3 when the LFX already exists. Obviously it's all car/end goal dependant.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also out of curiosity what does the LV3 weigh?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

The 4.3L in the fullsizer is a dog, I like my rev happy 3.6L. It tows fine too.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:29 am
Really? I loved the 4.3 in my K2 Silverado. I thought it was great and towed way better than my 3.6 Colorado.

It's the trans tuning I can't stand. The fucker refuses to downshift...and it really needs to when towing from my experience. If it was more eager to downshift, I'd be fine with it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am
Melon wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:29 am

Really? I loved the 4.3 in my K2 Silverado. I thought it was great and towed way better than my 3.6 Colorado.

It's the trans tuning I can't stand. The fucker refuses to downshift...and it really needs to when towing from my experience. If it was more eager to downshift, I'd be fine with it.
We have a 2017 WT Silverado, it takes ages to get to 60.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:37 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am

We have a 2017 WT Silverado, it takes ages to get to 60.
Yea...again I blame the transmission...the 1-4 gearing on the 6-speed is a bit too spaced out with the engine more torque oriented. It definitely isn't a rocket, but I think it's adequate.

But towing with that 4.3 was surprisingly fine. I think it was better than towing with my Colorado.
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:25 am Also out of curiosity what does the LV3 weigh?
I can't seem to find a weight on the thing, but given the aluminum LS engines are around 450lbs dressed, I imagine this thing would be under 400lbs being it has two fewer cylinders.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 79296.html

FCA reported june sales, (for the last time :( ) now they are going to qtrly reporting with GM. Which makes sense in some ways. Must be a big resource suck to do this monthly on the comp.. as technically you're only required to do QTRLY accoring to the SEC.

That said... :jeep: sales are down... for the year and for the month... I think it will certainly require more incentives if they want to move more units...

Also RAM is WAY up... not surprising at all considering they were running 20% off MSRP ads here all month.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:30 pm https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 79296.html

FCA reported june sales, (for the last time :( ) now they are going to qtrly reporting with GM. Which makes sense in some ways. Must be a big resource suck to do this monthly on the comp.. as technically you're only required to do QTRLY accoring to the SEC.

That said... :jeep: sales are down... for the year and for the month... I think it will certainly require more incentives if they want to move more units...

Also RAM is WAY up... not surprising at all considering they were running 20% off MSRP ads here all month.
Monthly sales reporting is a massive resource suck with no added value. Monthly sales data leads to unnecessary :triggered: from "analysts" anyway.

20% off Rams seemed to have worked. Chevy must be freaking out.

Wrangler sales are still strong. Down, but considering the complete lack of incentives, it's still strong volume for a highly profitable model.

The lame $500 off on 18's is now gone...looks like the 4th of July salesathon isn't happening. Really curious to see how the leftover 18 inventory is going to be managed...there's still a ton of vehicles.