Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:43 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:26 pm

:notbad:

I still change mine at 5k
I do in the :poorvette: because I don't put more than 5k miles on it in a year.

:|
Yea I always had to change it around that time also...
Time is just as bad for oil as miles...
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:41 pm Image

Change oil at 3000, blah blah my daddy told me .. blah blah.
:science:
:math:

Talk to me about oil changes when you get original engine/trans vehicle to 405k miles :mindblown:

They are asking me to go to 14k mile changes :nope:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, are you just having the Standard Analysis done or are you springing for additional tests here?
max225

Irish wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Talk to me about oil changes when you get original engine/trans vehicle to 405k miles :mindblown:

So, are you just having the Standard Analysis done or are you springing for additional tests here?
Just did standard. I expected something worse... I think I can certainly hear some kind of light valve tap... but perhaps I’m :wrong: I can’t trust this car anymore unfortunately ... so ironically i was hoping this last report would tell me to fully retire it... it did the opposite
:amazing: and :disgust: at the same time
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Yep...agreed.

What's weird about the Volt is IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL it suggests changing the oil when the vehicle tells you...up to 2 years! Seems like a long time, but the engine never runs so :iono: Seems like GM would have done their homework on that one and I'll trust them because :aintcare:

Drove the Volt for errands yesterday and a warning message came on: engine maintenance required due to inactivity

:wat:

It started and ran for about 10 minutes then said "maintenance complete" and shut off. I don't think the gas engine has run in a few months.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Yep...agreed.

What's weird about the Volt is IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL it suggests changing the oil when the vehicle tells you...up to 2 years! Seems like a long time, but the engine never runs so :iono: Seems like GM would have done their homework on that one and I'll trust them because :aintcare:

Drove the Volt for errands yesterday and a warning message came on: engine maintenance required due to inactivity

It started and ran for about 10 minutes then said "maintenance complete" and shut off. I don't think the gas engine has run in a few months.
That’s cool that gm actually thought this through ...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

As in you change it annually?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:14 pm Got a ride in a CX5 to a friend's BBQ party this weekend.
-Really quiet
-Decent I guess interior
-Stereo wasn't bose and wasn't fantastic
-Ride was pretty horrible over shitty south Jersey tar snaked roads
-Accelerated to highway speeds fine with 4 of us in the car
-AC worked

I was really surprised at how bad the ride was though. Maybe because I was in the back seat. But I don't understand why you'd have a ride that rough in a CUV.

:iono: it was nice otherwise.
Which trim was it ?

A CUV is no different from a sedan as they all share platforms anyways. So if mazderp threw giant wheels on it, it would ride like shit.
So if you make something handle nice, you kill ride quality ... zoom zoom bang
It had 17s they weren’t gigantic.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Yep...agreed.

The car is really a marvel of automotive engineering. Such a shame the tech wasn't put to more use.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:55 pm

As in you change it annually?
Yep, it's the first thing I do when taking it out in the spring.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:54 pm

The car is really a marvel of automotive engineering. Such a shame the tech wasn't put to more use.
yes.
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Look into OIL USE INTERVAL: 12,000 miles near the top and suggested 14k should be :thisisfine:
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Which trim was it ?

A CUV is no different from a sedan as they all share platforms anyways. So if mazderp threw giant wheels on it, it would ride like shit.
It had 17s they weren’t gigantic.
:lol:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm

Which trim was it ?

Yep, that plus full passenger capacity weighing it down will really impact ride.
Full passenger capacity in a Camry rides and handles better.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Yep, that plus full passenger capacity weighing it down will really impact ride.
Interesting. You have first hand experience with this?
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Loaded a new Camry Uber. That thing was legit nice. Red leather interior rode great even over cobbles V6 had plenty of go.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 pm
Loaded a new Camry Uber. That thing was legit nice. Red leather interior rode great even over cobbles V6 had plenty of go.
Ive been in bunch of camry's as uber and they're pretty popular for these parts. Ive noticed some crossovers don't absorbs bumps as well. In NY, i got into a new 2019 Santa Fe and that was :mindblown: comfy
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Uber drivers that buy new cars are just epic :derp: s
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:22 pm Uber drivers that buy new cars are just epic :derp: s
Most around here seem to buy salvage title things with dashboards lit like christmas trees.

They're usually modern and nice, tho...so it's actually pretty smart. IDGAF if the car is a salvage if it gets me to where I need to go.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:24 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:22 pm Uber drivers that buy new cars are just epic :derp: s
Most around here seem to buy salvage title things with dashboards lit like christmas trees.

They're usually modern and nice, tho...so it's actually pretty smart. IDGAF if the car is a salvage if it gets me to where I need to go.
It’s surprising if they are actually salvage as they may expose Uber/Lyft to liabilities during a crash
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:24 pm

It’s surprising if they are actually salvage as they may expose Uber/Lyft to liabilities during a crash
The company won't even claim their "employees" as employees, I'm sure they'd do the same thing in this liability situation. These driver's aren't even working for the company officially...it's on them if something happens with a salvage title vehicle.

I had one dude tell me straight up that the car was salvage. One of your comrades from the motherland who immigrated here to repair and resell salvage title cars, and started driving Lyft on the side. He said most people he sold cars to were Uber/Lyft drivers. Dude was pretty cool, and the car (a Nissan Altima) looked like new.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

ChrisoftheNorth

Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Just did standard. I expected something worse... I think I can certainly hear some kind of light valve tap... but perhaps I’m :wrong: I can’t trust this car anymore unfortunately ... so ironically i was hoping this last report would tell me to fully retire it... it did the opposite
Interesting. I have been wanting to send my oil out ever since I heard of Blackstone (ie Shortly after buying the :mk6: ) . Of course that was 120k farts and ~15 oil changes ago. Kind of a moot point now as I really just want to get another year out of the car before upgrading to a used :gorf:

But actually, maybe not if I am sticking with 2.0T Dublyfe. I have a theory that the cheaper oils (Walmart Mobile 1 or Castrol GTX) are contributing to the carbon fouling issue in these cars. Reason being that they "burn" off but the more expensive German Oils do not.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Irish wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Interesting. I have been wanting to send my oil out ever since I heard of Blackstone (ie Shortly after buying the :mk6: ) . Of course that was 120k farts and ~15 oil changes ago. Kind of a moot point now as I really just want to get another year out of the car before upgrading to a used :gorf:

But actually, maybe not if I am sticking with 2.0T Dublyfe. I have a theory that the cheaper oils (Walmart Mobile 1 or Castrol GTX) are contributing to the carbon fouling issue in these cars. Reason being that they "burn" off but the more expensive German Oils do not.
I ran the low SAPS (supposedly better for DI motors) Motul 5w-40 in my MK6 and had to have the valves cleaned at 50k. My friend with a MK6 GLI ran nothing but dealer bulk Castrol 5w40 in his and didn't need a carbon clean yet at 110k when he sold it. IMO it has much more to do with how hard the car is driven and for how long. The longer the trips and the hotter the motor gets, the fewer issues they seem to have. I live in the city and do a lot of short tripping, which is terrible for DI motors.
Johnny_P

Yeah man. Best was two dudes that could hardly speak English here as Uber drivers in a brand freaking new Lexus RX350. That truck was awesome.