Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:38 am I drove Amir's STi, now, it was modded with everything in the GReddy catalog, but it was damn meh.

I've driven with those who have stock WRX's and they are meh.
FTFY
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:07 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 am

we now live in a society where bunch of :pout: are afraid to drive 2 inches of snow in the Mercedes GLC300 4matic or even an AWD CRV. how :wasteful: but hey MURICA!
Well, when drivers education isn't taught anymore, people should be afraid.

I'm very afraid of people being out in the snow that shouldn't be.
Problem is, a lot of it is driver experience.

When I was 14.5 and got my "permit" my dad took me to his work parking lot after fresh snow and had me drive around and he'd randomly pull the parking brake mid-turn so I'd learn car control. He may or may not have been aware that it opened up a can of worms when I got my license and drove on my own DOORRRIIIFFFTTTOOO in the snow, but my control skills are epic.

BUT...my wife who was born and raised in CA with zero snow has somehow developed fantastic snow driving skills. She has a healthy fear, but also isn't timid. Proper following/braking distance, careful on ice/turns, can steer into a drift if it happens, it's pretty remarkable. She drives better than most :derp: s I encounter who have lived here their entire lives.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

we now live in a society where bunch of :pout: are afraid to drive 2 inches of snow in the Mercedes GLC300 4matic or even an AWD CRV. how :wasteful: but hey MURICA!

Speaking of which, when I was taking behind the wheel course, even my dad said this is a joke. Also what's even more funny is, when I went to an 8 hour driving improvement course because of a ticket I got when I was 21, the lady told a story about her accident in her 4runner where one of the mechanics say it is "front wheel drive" when the 4wd is off and got into a ditch during the snow, and then told us to know your car whether it is fwd, rwd, whatever.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 am

When I was 14.5 and got my "permit" my dad took me to his work parking lot after fresh snow and had me drive around and he'd randomly pull the parking brake mid-turn so I'd learn car control. He may or may not have been aware that it opened up a can of worms when I got my license and drove on my own DOORRRIIIFFFTTTOOO in the snow, but my control skills are epic.

BUT...my wife who was born and raised in CA with zero snow has somehow developed fantastic snow driving skills. She has a healthy fear, but also isn't timid. Proper following/braking distance, careful on ice/turns, can steer into a drift if it happens, it's pretty remarkable. She drives better than most :derp: s I encounter who have lived here their entire lives.
Defensive driving is like 98%* of accident avoidance. 1.5%* is skill. 0.5% luck

*stats made up on the spot
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 am we now live in a society where bunch of :pout: are afraid to drive 2 inches of snow in the Mercedes GLC300 4matic or even an AWD CRV. how :wasteful: but hey MURICA!

You mean when they aren't driving trucks?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I've never driven in heavy snow.

But, I have driven through flood waters.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

very much :dat:

that's :fuckyeah: even though I drove my parents old 1999 MB c280 with a learners permit, my dad didn't like the idea that it'll be my first car and made me learn manual from my cousins 1990 Corolla manual that they were actually getting rid of and it became my car for a while, and it didn't had a tach. Also sold the merc shortly after that cause it became problematic, like when wipers stopped working when I was driving in heavy rain.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:20 am I've never driven in heavy snow.

:wrong:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

Flood waters would be way more scary IMO.

I've driven through some pretty deep water wheeling...that shit is terrifying. You don't know for sure how deep it is, and you have no clue what's hiding underneath. It's how I cracked the oil pan in my ZR2 with 700 miles on it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:16 am

Defensive driving is like 98%* of accident avoidance. 1.5%* is skill. 0.5% luck

*stats made up on the spot
Sounds good. :fax: now.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:08 am

How did humans survive the last 100 years of vehicle ownershit
IDK man, based on this thread no one should drive in the snow. Also this whole thread reads like a fucking Dr. Suess book.

I don't not like driving in the snow
It's too hard to stop,
And too hard to go.
I do not like it in a Subaru
If you don't agree,
I'll argue with you.
It's too boring even in a Golf R
Even with budget quattro,
you won't get very far.
Everyday I look the the garage for fun
and with my massive driving skills,
Not a car is right, I can't even pick one.
There is only one option,
as you can so clearly see.
I'll go online to a car forum,
And argue with thee.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

now that I would say it's even worse, especially when you don't exactly know how deep the surface is unless to an extent you know the road and how high is it from the surface.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:28 am

IDK man, based on this thread no one should drive in the snow. Also this whole thread reads like a fucking Dr. Suess book.

It's too hard to stop,
And too hard to go.
If you don't agree,
I'll argue with you.
you won't get very far.
And argue with thee.
:amazing: POTD
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am

I've driven through some pretty deep water wheeling...that shit is terrifying. You don't know for sure how deep it is, and you have no clue what's hiding underneath. It's how I cracked the oil pan in my ZR2 with 700 miles on it.
Dang.

I like driving through water, always have. Gets a little scary when you hear rocks banging off the skids a bit.
Apex

It's too hard to stop,
And too hard to go.
If you don't agree,
I'll argue with you.
you won't get very far.
And argue with thee.
:amazing:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:29 am

Dang.

I like driving through water, always have. Gets a little scary when you hear rocks banging off the skids a bit.
When you have no idea what rocks your driving over, you can't see where the tall ones are if the water is covering them. That's what hosed me.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

yeah that is :mindblown: for sure.

I remember my very first semester of college, I was driving my Acura on a flood that's probably 6 inches high at best for good 100 yards, lots of people stayed put but I went for it not knowing whether I'll be stuck or not. But a year ago when I was driving with Rudy, on the main road, that part was flooded and the CRV behind me gave me a dirty look went into the water like a bawws as I turned out and saw him slowing down in my rearview :notsure:
But atleast I had common sense while he showed off his cheapo crossover that's parked in front of a country club in El Salvador with cheap aesthetic mods.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:31 am
Apex wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:29 am

Dang.

When you have no idea what rocks your driving over, you can't see where the tall ones are if the water is covering them. That's what hosed me.
Sometimes you say a quick prayer to our Lords Steel and Aluminium and send it. :lol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

It's too hard to stop,
And too hard to go.
If you don't agree,
I'll argue with you.
you won't get very far.
And argue with thee.
fuckking love it :amaze:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In a city environment during an emergency flooding situation, the biggest hazard is moving water. There's so much force that it will push your vehicle off a bridge, off into a ditch, even with just a foot or so of water. I saw so many cars in the ditch after the flood waters subsided. Even saw an 18-wheeler pushed into a parking lot.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Well think about with phones:

I remember 10-15 years ago,
I couldn't find a stranger to :dock: from an app
I couldn't use cute little selfie with filters that makes dog ears (snapchat)
I remember when I had to press number 7 four times to get to S
I remember when I couldn't hail a ride from a stranger from my phone
I remember I had to go on a computer to Facebook, writing a status bitching about how my Mercedes is broken and had to drive a Lexus to high school, yuckkkkkk

-now it almost seems like now not being able to do those things is definitely felt a "little" more than a 1st world problem if you really think about it.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:31 am
Sometimes you say a quick prayer to our Lords Steel and Aluminium and send it. :lol:
:dat:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

rockchops wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:37 am
wap wrote:
My brother DD'd a Mk1 VW Cabriolet for 8 years in Chicago, several of them with only street parking. It was :thisisfine: due to the triple layered top, but it was pretty chilly inside for a while before it heated up.
I have DD'd my saturn year round for about 5 of the last 7 years. Its fine. LSD works well in the snow, heat works well, etc. I would still be DDing it but I dont need to so it is under a cover in my back yard this winter. You guys fucking complain too much. A convertible in the snow is fine, a C5 in the snow is fine, an rx8 in the snow is also fine. Get yourself some tars.
:notwrong:

Once upon a time all of Murica DD'd giant rwd barges with only lap belts, no child real seats, 4 wheel drum brakes, virtually zero passive safely features, on shitty bias ply tars in the winter, and most of them lived.
Last edited by wap on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 am
rockchops wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:37 am I have DD'd my saturn year round for about 5 of the last 7 years. Its fine. LSD works well in the snow, heat works well, etc. I would still be DDing it but I dont need to so it is under a cover in my back yard this winter. You guys fucking complain too much. A convertible in the snow is fine, a C5 in the snow is fine, an rx8 in the snow is also fine. Get yourself some tars.
:notwrong:

Once upon a time all of Murica DD'd giant rwd barges on shitty bias ply tars in the winter, and most of them lived.
:yesth: :yesth: :yesth:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 am

In a city environment during an emergency flooding situation, the biggest hazard is moving water. There's so much force that it will push your vehicle off a bridge, off into a ditch, even with just a foot or so of water. I saw so many cars in the ditch after the flood waters subsided. Even saw an 18-wheeler pushed into a parking lot.
Yep, exactly. It's impossible to see how deep the water is first and whether or not it's moving much. Even if it's not, a vehicle could become buoyant in deep standing water and get "stuck".

Way worse than snow. Snow driving is NBD because you know you have limited traction, and it's usually pretty easy to gauge depth. It's others you have to look out for more than anything.