Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:59 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 am

Yeah it was fully loaded. M235i RWD auto nav cold weather nappy leather etc. I liked the way the interior was arranged and how it felt, etc. More grown up than the Mini, way nicer than the STI, all very visually pleasing. Except the gagues, I didn't like the flat gauge face thing and vastly prefer the STI gauges. I don't mind the Mini interior and arrangement though except for maybe the rev counter which is a bit small. Mini's toggles are def cool, the ones I was looking at had the poverty red radio no navi so I have no clue how nice or not that is. Arm rest on the Mini annoyed the shit out of me so I was looking at getting one without that, or swapping with forumbrahs to get rid of it. My Focus had the same exact arm rest design and I ripped it out and rode around with a hole in my center console I hated it so much. Sound wise I think the 2 is supposed to be louder than the 3 and was similar to the MCS. Both are ok I guess, both sounds die off as revs build which is a little lame.

I think the Mini's throttle response was better which is odd. Its been a long time though, I'd have to go drive both again. And put the 2 in bro mode for the trans at least. Had I done that, I'd probably be driving an M235i right meow. I'd still love to get one, xdrive automatic and put a roof rack on it and a louder exhaust.
I was asking the other way around since you preferred the bmw interior. I figured maybe the mini you drove was on the base side. The bmw without the better nav and dash is particularly tough, because you are constantly reminded that you “missed an option”

The bro mode in the bmw sucks because it revs the car too high. I never ended up using it, outside of the 4 banger bmws, which need it to not feel like a Prius.

Throttle response on the jcw is better than m3, which was worlds better than the regular 3 series. It was prettt good in the S also but the s was just slow. I was left longing for more power. But there is a “factory tuning kit” that brings it to jcw power levels for $700.

I have no idea what the arm rest issue is ? It can be folded away and it’s adjustable ? I love it

Also I have no idea why mini decided to put such a shitty rev gauge in the mini. It’s literally the worst part about the car. It’s hard to read and it only does a 1/2 sweep and is just frankly almost unusable.
Interior was fine on both, I just got a wow factor when I opened the 2's door for some reason, the Mini has a lot of "hey look at that, neato" type features inside though.

Arm rest might not be a problem with the automatic. In the MT, where you're constantly interacting with the stick and e-brake, the e-brake is under the armrest which is annoying, and with the stick you have to angle your hand downwards to reach it. Flip it up and I wanted more room for my arm to move around. Personal preference though, many people don't have an issue with it, I just hated it in my Focus and it brought back sour memories of that car. :iono:
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:46 am

No manual RWD brown diesel station wagon no care. I have no idea never driven one. But not dealing with 1 wheel drive or swapping tires with the seasons so no care. No idea why the 235 is an open diff.
I've only driven my friend's e92 335ix 6mt in the snow but I remember it was very unwilling to rotate compared to my 4eat n/a outback with vlsd and my 5mt n/a outback w/o vlsd. The lack of LSD on those cars does suck, but they did offer a *port installed* option for like $3k :disgust:
TC off? My STI refuses to rotate at all in the snow if TC is on in any capacity, its just plowtown. With it off it turns into a ken block mobile.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:08 am
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:59 am
I was asking the other way around since you preferred the bmw interior. I figured maybe the mini you drove was on the base side. The bmw without the better nav and dash is particularly tough, because you are constantly reminded that you “missed an option”

The bro mode in the bmw sucks because it revs the car too high. I never ended up using it, outside of the 4 banger bmws, which need it to not feel like a Prius.

Throttle response on the jcw is better than m3, which was worlds better than the regular 3 series. It was prettt good in the S also but the s was just slow. I was left longing for more power. But there is a “factory tuning kit” that brings it to jcw power levels for $700.

I have no idea what the arm rest issue is ? It can be folded away and it’s adjustable ? I love it

Also I have no idea why mini decided to put such a shitty rev gauge in the mini. It’s literally the worst part about the car. It’s hard to read and it only does a 1/2 sweep and is just frankly almost unusable.
Interior was fine on both, I just got a wow factor when I opened the 2's door for some reason, the Mini has a lot of "hey look at that, neato" type features inside though.

Arm rest might not be a problem with the automatic. In the MT, where you're constantly interacting with the stick and e-brake, the e-brake is under the armrest which is annoying, and with the stick you have to angle your hand downwards to reach it. Flip it up and I wanted more room for my arm to move around. Personal preference though, many people don't have an issue with it, I just hated it in my Focus and it brought back sour memories of that car. :iono:
I find this interesting, i loved the armrest because the shifter is so long on the mini, you can rest your arm on armrest and shift it was super comfortable. But yes on reaching “under” it for the handbrake. Doesn’t bother me :doe:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:01 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:24 am

Weight, wheelbase, and probably alignment.

Smaller wheels and tires are also more lively feeling, despite generally offering less ultimate grip.

I can't find any real specs for MINI stuff like gear or steering ratios. Hell I don't even see tire sizes on their spec sheets. :disgust:
I posted gear ratios in my thread when you last asked. The trans is geared a bit weird with 4+ being overdrive gears on the :manuel:
The MT gears are tall. You can go into 3rd on the highway to pass people.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:10 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 am

I've only driven my friend's e92 335ix 6mt in the snow but I remember it was very unwilling to rotate compared to my 4eat n/a outback with vlsd and my 5mt n/a outback w/o vlsd. The lack of LSD on those cars does suck, but they did offer a *port installed* option for like $3k :disgust:
TC off? My STI refuses to rotate at all in the snow if TC is on in any capacity, its just plowtown. With it off it turns into a ken block mobile.
Yes. Unless it wasn't "OFF" off.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:11 am
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:01 am
I posted gear ratios in my thread when you last asked. The trans is geared a bit weird with 4+ being overdrive gears on the :manuel:
Partially why I got the auto. But the MT was actually great, far better than in a VAG product. Not as good as hypeR and Fuckus

Ugh ..... I still don’t know why I have that unhealthy attraction to that vehicle still.
Johnny_P

One thing on the Mini handling, the steering is fast and turn in is pretty immediate. The rear end is also pretty light and it'll swing around a little bit if you get fresh with it. I felt the rear unloading and getting wiggly during hard braking. A little unnerving but also adds to the fun factor whereas my GTI at the time just had a fully planted rear.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:11 am

Partially why I got the auto. But the MT was actually great, far better than in a VAG product. Not as good as hypeR and Fuckus

Ugh ..... I still don’t know why I have that unhealthy attraction to that vehicle still.
Clutch had feel which is something I can't say for a MK6 GTI. I liked the auto rev matching.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:16 am One thing on the Mini handling, the steering is fast and turn in is pretty immediate. The rear end is also pretty light and it'll swing around a little bit if you get fresh with it. I felt the rear unloading and getting wiggly during hard braking. A little unnerving but also adds to the fun factor whereas my GTI at the time just had a fully planted rear.
Yea I don’t see getting a gti, for any reason other than extra space. The R becomes a bit of diff question as it has awd.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:16 am One thing on the Mini handling, the steering is fast and turn in is pretty immediate. The rear end is also pretty light and it'll swing around a little bit if you get fresh with it. I felt the rear unloading and getting wiggly during hard braking. A little unnerving but also adds to the fun factor whereas my GTI at the time just had a fully planted rear.
Yea I don’t see getting a gti, for any reason other than extra space. The R becomes a bit of diff question as it has awd.
The R is much better for spirited driving, hands down. I've thrown several people the keys and everyone was impressed with how it stuck and put power down. I can't say I like the :mk6: platform GTI the wife has in tight twistys. Its just barely okay, yet still leaps and bounds better than the mk4 chassis.
max225

I hate this so much
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm

I hate this so much
It looks horrific.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm

I hate this so much
:gag:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:46 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 amDoesn't x drive ABSOLUTELY kill how those cars drive?
No manual RWD brown diesel station wagon no care. I have no idea never driven one. But not dealing with 1 wheel drive or swapping tires with the seasons so no care. No idea why the 235 is an open diff.
https://driving.ca/features/feature-sto ... zous-bruns
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:31 pm Holy fuck
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B2gsiTKlCQ ... v2fnm771iv
Where is the crash?
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:56 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:31 pm Holy fuck
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B2gsiTKlCQ ... v2fnm771iv
Where is the crash?
No crash, just a CGT being driven around the ‘Ring like the German gods intended
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:34 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Where is the crash?
No crash, just a CGT being driven around the ‘Ring like the German gods intended
max225

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-bar-ca ... 30037.html

Thank you Mr President
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration will announce as early as Wednesday it is revoking California’s authority to set its own vehicle greenhouse gas standards and blocking states from setting tailpipe emission rules -- a move that will spark a furious legal challenge, two auto industry officials said on Tuesday.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:05 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-bar-ca ... 30037.html

Thank you Mr President
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration will announce as early as Wednesday it is revoking California’s authority to set its own vehicle greenhouse gas standards and blocking states from setting tailpipe emission rules -- a move that will spark a furious legal challenge, two auto industry officials said on Tuesday.
:butwhy:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:08 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:05 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-bar-ca ... 30037.html

Thank you Mr President

Sick and tired of the annoying ass Cali smog laws. We need to have one system of laws nationwide for this. You of all people I would think would understand ... creating one engine for Cali and one for rest of America is :fullretard:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:23 pm
Sick and tired of the annoying ass Cali smog laws. We need to have one system of laws nationwide for this. You of all people I would think would understand ... creating one engine for Cali and one for rest of America is :fullretard:
very much :dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yes...but CA and the states that follow are such big markets that pretty much all engines are designed for CA smog markets anyway. So they're cleaner in non CA markets, why is that bad? Smog used to be a huge issue everywhere...the progress that's been made in that regard is huge. Why would we want to stop that progress?

There is no benefit to what the administration is doing. It's a whiny political move that doesn't do any good for anyone. OEMs are on a 5+ year development cycle...longer for power trains. Even if things are relaxed right now, everyone knows that in 5 years, someone new will for sure be in the oval office and likely undo all of the "rollbacks" so they stay the course so they don't get caught screwed.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:48 pm
Yes...but CA and the states that follow are such big markets that pretty much all engines are designed for CA smog markets anyway. So they're cleaner in non CA markets, why is that bad? Smog used to be a huge issue everywhere...the progress that's been made in that regard is huge. Why would we want to stop that progress?

There is no benefit to what the administration is doing. It's a whiny political move that doesn't do any good for anyone. OEMs are on a 5+ year development cycle...longer for power trains. Even if things are relaxed right now, everyone knows that in 5 years, someone new will for sure be in the oval office and likely undo all of the "rollbacks" so they stay the course so they don't get caught screwed.
My mk6 and I think now my mk7 has the CBFA engine (aka cali spec), also VA emissions (in particularly northern VA) are so strict that some other stancebros struggled to pass it with stage 2.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:48 pm

State's Rights!

Kali Kommie Klub gonna be flying the stars and bars over this.

Last edited by troyguitar on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.