Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Pretty sure the facilities JGC passed the moose test
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Ah Money.... fixes everything
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 pm

RAV 4 can't pass the Aryan moose test.... gotta sit up higher and higher :doe: for sAfEtY
:lolol: that looks awful. Looks like they are fucking locking a tire ON PURPOSE to slide it to prevent a rollover.
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Been running 87 in the GTI and everything seems fine for now. :dolphin:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:21 pm Been running 87 in the GTI and everything seems fine for now. :dolphin:
I wish I could run 87. Price gap is widened again it’s averaging around $0.60/gal now. :disgust:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:02 pm
razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:21 pm Been running 87 in the GTI and everything seems fine for now. :dolphin:
I wish I could run 87. Price gap is widened again it’s averaging around $0.60/gal now. :disgust:
Price gap here was the same early this summer. Not sure what it is now I just know 93 has gone down $0.30/gal since spring :notbad:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:thisisfine: :doomed: :crang:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:02 pm
It's' been .$80 here most of the spring and summer.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:10 pm
Car seems still low end peppy so I don’t think anything is up. Just won’t get peak power and torque but not like that matters anyways in my 5 mile commute of 0-45 mph
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

razr390 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:09 am

Car seems still low end peppy so I don’t think anything is up. Just won’t get peak power and torque but not like that matters anyways in my 5 mile commute of 0-45 mph
:wrong:
All :plaid: :stig: all the time or :gtfo:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:09 am

Isn't yours rated for 87 anyways ? :whocares: you don’t need premium period.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

If I don't think about the two engines I went through in 20k miles I miss this car :wub:

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Looks like the Forte GT started hitting the ground this week. :whocares:

The nearest one to me is 90 minutes away in Rochester, as usual. Black on black automatic but I might go drive it sometime for :science:

I actually want an E90 M3 but this is the car that I expect to buy if it lives up to the specs.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:37 pm Looks like the Forte GT started hitting the ground this week. :whocares:

The nearest one to me is 90 minutes away in Rochester, as usual. Black on black automatic but I might go drive it sometime for :science:

I actually want an E90 M3 but this is the car that I expect to buy if it lives up to the specs.
E90 M3 vs Kiaundai Fortlantra?
Seems legit.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Swedish Chef wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:53 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:37 pm Looks like the Forte GT started hitting the ground this week. :whocares:

Seems legit.
:whalecum: to DFD.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Swedish Chef wrote:

Seems legit.
Same price to buy, same size and form factor, same wheelbase, same type of transmission 7-speed DCT, same super quick ratio steering, same availability of base cloth sport seats and no sunroof and folding rear seats without the rest of the car being super base.

:iono: :wrong:

Do you have a better option for me?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Seems legit.
Looks like a fun DD for notta lotta. Troy is omitting a few deets in his comparison like which wheels get driven and a 50% power cut and a 100% Rolex matchability cut but a fun new car with a warranty in the low 20s does not suck.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:47 am

Seems legit.
Looks like a fun DD for notta lotta. Troy is omitting a few deets in his comparison like which wheels get driven and a 50% power cut and a 100% Rolex matchability cut but a fun new car with a warranty in the low 20s does not suck.
The Forte doesn’t suck at all, but I can’t see one cross shopping the two.

I’m not sure what Troy is looking for but your typical Forte duty as a year round DD would kind of suck with an M3 in a place like NY.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:04 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:47 am

The Forte doesn’t suck at all, but I can’t see one cross shopping the two.

I’m not sure what Troy is looking for but your typical Forte duty as a year round DD would kind of suck with an M3 in a place like NY.
He does things like this on the reg.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:20 pm
Swedish Chef wrote:
Seems legit.
Same price to buy, same size and form factor, same wheelbase, same type of transmission 7-speed DCT, same super quick ratio steering, same availability of base cloth sport seats and no sunroof and folding rear seats without the rest of the car being super base.

:iono: :wrong:

Do you have a better option for me?
In 4 results. Would you cross shop it with an Si? The Honda will hold value better.
Johnny_P

Starting to wonder if a #basic McQueen spec 328i or something would be a better pick for me. 2.0T Giulia, S60, etc.

Anyone have seat time in both the sedan and the CUV counterpart care to share how they handle bullshit roads? I’d think less weight would crash less but more suspension travel may ride softer??

New S60 is a looker and a half but $46k ish ouch.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:28 am Starting to wonder if a #basic McQueen spec 328i or something would be a better pick for me. 2.0T Giulia, S60, etc.

Anyone have seat time in both the sedan and the CUV counterpart care to share how they handle bullshit roads? I’d think less weight would crash less but more suspension travel may ride softer??

Granted I’m used to a bus and :poorvette: but my 328i even with M Sport suspension rides quite nicely and soaks up potholes quite well. I’d probably get some 17s/marshmallows if I lived in Baghdad, but I think it would work well. It’s a bit fun but overall just a nice commute machine that is rather fuel efficient and affordable.

I was shooting the shit with a dude last night who leases a Guilia, he loves it but says the reliability has been awful, sadly. It’s stranded him a few times.

Used is key in this category... my $42k MSRP car was $21k with 15k miles...
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:55 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:28 am Starting to wonder if a #basic McQueen spec 328i or something would be a better pick for me. 2.0T Giulia, S60, etc.

Granted I’m used to a bus and :poorvette: but my 328i even with M Sport suspension rides quite nicely and soaks up potholes quite well. I’d probably get some 17s/marshmallows if I lived in Baghdad, but I think it would work well. It’s a bit fun but overall just a nice commute machine that is rather fuel efficient and affordable.

I was shooting the shit with a dude last night who leases a Guilia, he loves it but says the reliability has been awful, sadly. It’s stranded him a few times.

That’s the thing. Used they’re less than a new crosstrek.

What year is his Giulia? First model year ones were basket cases but I hear they’re improving. I don’t want to be stranded by my car. Giulia is supposed to ride rather soft. All these are available with strong motors that get decent fuel mileage and can be had with AWD. So it’s a win win if it all works out.

Thing is I don’t really want a sport sedan. I don’t want to care about fun I just want a nice riding thing I can not care about that still has passing power.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:02 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:55 am

That’s the thing. Used they’re less than a new crosstrek.

What year is his Giulia? First model year ones were basket cases but I hear they’re improving. I don’t want to be stranded by my car. Giulia is supposed to ride rather soft. All these are available with strong motors that get decent fuel mileage and can be had with AWD. So it’s a win win if it all works out.

Thing is I don’t really want a sport sedan. I don’t want to care about fun I just want a nice riding thing I can not care about that still has passing power.
I mean... no harm in it being decent to drive when you end up on a back road heading to a ride/hike or whatever. I’m not sure on the year of his Guilia, but he seems to love it, maybe a new lease would be a good bet.

I think any of these will ride nice and soak up bumps. I’ve taken my sport model on many dirt roads, hikes, camping, whatever. A Crosstrek thingy really isn’t needed for most, it’s just style mostly. I also drove an XDrive in the snow at Mount Rainier and it was good.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

FWIW I average 27ish commuting around town in my 328i and it does quite well on the freeway, low mid thirties. The auto is better on gas too.