Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:35 pm One of my buddy's bought a C3 Corvette this weekend.

Went and checked it out last night. Pretty :neat: car, I'm looking forward to driving it. :sad: that it's an auto, but he really wanted "numbers matching" and I guess that + :manuel: is :waxer:
:butwhy:

I like the way these look, but they're not something I'd want to own. These things will be worthless once the olds die off, that's the time to buy.

"Numbers matching" :whocares:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:45 pm :butwhy:

I like the way these look, but they're not something I'd want to own. These things will be worthless once the olds die off, that's the time to buy.

Pretty much :dat: Wouldn't be numbers matching after I put an LS7 and a TR-6060 in it. :hue:

Also, no side pipes. :gtfo:
Last edited by coogles on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:35 pm One of my buddy's bought a C3 Corvette this weekend.

Went and checked it out last night. Pretty :neat: car, I'm looking forward to driving it. :sad: that it's an auto, but he really wanted "numbers matching" and I guess that + :manuel: is :waxer:

:notwrong:

I'd have found one with a nice patina and :ellis: swap for less (not sure how much he paid, probably $30K?) but this is his thing. Welcome to the old south I guess. I tried to talk him out of classics and into a C5Z but he really wanted the look. I think it's a very cool car but I also wouldn't buy it, especially in auto, which with "only" 270 hp out of the 350 is likely rather slow.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:45 pm

I'd have found one with a nice patina and :ellis: swap for less (not sure how much he paid, probably $30K?) but this is his thing. Welcome to the old south I guess. I tried to talk him out of classics and into a C5Z but he really wanted the look. I think it's a very cool car but I also wouldn't buy it, especially in auto, which with "only" 270 hp out of the 350 is likely rather slow.
Exactly. These BLOW to drive. Shit handling, slow acceleration, CRAMPED interior.

Last year a bloo 1980 C3 popped up on BAT with an LS3 and Richmond 6-speed. Car looked fantastic and was probably fast AF. IIRC, it sold for well under $20k. Serious bargain if you want that look with performance to back it up. If the car was "numbers matching" it probably would have sold for more but sucked way more.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Found it:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980- ... orvette-3/

I was wrong, it was an LS2. Still would have been a fantastic car for $18k...and gives you the :neat: look.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My dad just sold his numbers matching 427 4spd convertible. These cars feel like death traps, although I'm sure being a t tops car will help it feel a tad safer.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 pm

Exactly. These BLOW to drive. Shit handling, slow acceleration, CRAMPED interior.

Last year a bloo 1980 C3 popped up on BAT with an LS3 and Richmond 6-speed. Car looked fantastic and was probably fast AF. IIRC, it sold for well under $20k. Serious bargain if you want that look with performance to back it up. If the car was "numbers matching" it probably would have sold for more but sucked way more.
Yeah I remember you posting that thing, it was seriously badass. I should've bought.

The interior on this thing is SO CRAMPED though, you're right about that. I really don't fit in it, my NA Miata def had more room inside. Jeremy, my friend, is like 5'6" :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:51 pm Exactly. These BLOW to drive. Shit handling, slow acceleration, CRAMPED interior.

Yeah I remember you posting that thing, it was seriously badass. I should've bought.

The interior on this thing is SO CRAMPED though, you're right about that. I really don't fit in it, my NA Miata def had more room inside. Jeremy, my friend, is like 5'6" :doe:
Yea, I don't fit in them at all. They were really small cars.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I also never noticed that you can't open the trunk :wtf:

I do love the look :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 pm I also never noticed that you can't open the trunk :wtf:

Yea, they look awesome and that's it. Fun to admire, but not to own IMO.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 pm I also never noticed that you can't open the trunk :wtf:

Not to mention they drive like complete dogshit compared to just about any car built since 1989.

My friend had TWO C3's and they both were pretty much garbage to drive and lots of shit fails on them, like the rear suspension. They always end up with one or both of the rear wheels having way too much camber and needing routine care.

If that fucker isn't a ZL1 or at least a rat motor with a 4 speed, I have zero interest in a C3. Honestly a very clean C4 is a better buy.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:47 pm
Not to mention they drive like complete dogshit compared to just about any car built since 1989.

My friend had TWO C3's and they both were pretty much garbage to drive and lots of shit fails on them, like the rear suspension. They always end up with one or both of the rear wheels having way too much camber and needing routine care.

If that fucker isn't a ZL1 or at least a rat motor with a 4 speed, I have zero interest in a C3. Honestly a very clean C4 is a better buy.

This. Or a 1970 LT-1. The 68-69 Tri Power 427s look mean and run strong, despite being pieces of shit. Would own. After 1971, I am OUT DAWG on the C3. Their value is nostalgia and housing powerful top shelf engines that emit massive hydrocarbons.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

How much can possibly fail on a car that is driven 3000 miles a year tops... especially one with a horse carriage suspension
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:19 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:18 am

I did that in the wifes car while on twisty roads.

1. Im used to a :manuel: :gorf:

2. the paddles fly around when wheel is at full lock. I really tried to use them and found my self over thinking it. So i just use the stick.
Agreed. The only paddles worth a damn when really driving hard are stationary column-mounted paddles. You can get so crossed up with them on the wheel, they're more of a PITA than fun.
Ha. On the highway, want to rip it, flip it into manual mode :dealwithit: mode activated, slap the paddle and floor it and

nothing

Because your 10 speed auto is in 9th gear and it has no balls you need to click click click click click and THEN you can :stig: but by then it's all :whocares: the fun is gone.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:33 pm
Agreed. The only paddles worth a damn when really driving hard are stationary column-mounted paddles. You can get so crossed up with them on the wheel, they're more of a PITA than fun.
Ha. On the highway, want to rip it, flip it into manual mode :dealwithit: mode activated, slap the paddle and floor it and

nothing

Because your 10 speed auto is in 9th gear and it has no balls you need to click click click click click and THEN you can :stig: but by then it's all :whocares: the fun is gone.
I think you just hold the down paddle and it'll drop to the lowest possible gear.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

RS6 wagon coming to America ... let’s see how many dozens they will sell in a year. cuz everyone wants one amirite
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:00 pm RS6 wagon coming to America ... let’s see how many dozens they will sell in a year. cuz everyone wants one amirite
Only if it's brown and :manuel:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:35 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:55 pm

:gag:
Looks like a Cars character with a mustache.
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I was never a fan of the C3, even when they were new. Massive overhangs, stupid interior, shit ergonomics, ugly steering wheel, strangled boat anchor V8's. :nope:
The C4 was such a better car in pretty much every way.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:00 pm RS6 wagon coming to America ... let’s see how many dozens they will sell in a year. cuz everyone wants one amirite
I love how it looks, not sure I can stomach the luxury upcharge for all things :doe:

Modern day Audi headlight... $12k, I shit you not. It would make an epic corporate lease vehicle doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:33 pm

nothing

Exactly. What a waste.
ChrisoftheNorth

They might sell 100 units...total.

Maybe.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:03 pm
Only if it's brown and :manuel:
And diesel. :notbad:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Three screens on one dash. :impressive: levels of :fullretard: , even by modern standards.

:facepalm: :disgust:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Man.....

Local KIA :dillerman: (@chalupabatman) got the new Stingah GTS in.

fuck. im so torn. I might go make a powl.

I would never have 2 car notes. I still really like my :gorf: but I really want to hoon on a GTS with a tune for a minute.

KIA is throwing CRAZY lease cash at a lot of cars and the GTS isnt excluded... $8k lease cash PLUS id get a few more :scrooge: dollhairs off from the hookup.

it could be a $330/mo 24 mo lease... :moist: