Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:23 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 pm

If everyone likes it .... why not?
Its not bad..
Would like to see how others fair with this task... buy back is going to be 25k plus tax (about 50% of new cost), 4 yrs old and 35-40k on the odometer so it might not be the best move.

I might need to investigate this market segment, :disgust: :gag:
I mean honestly... used car values are still relatively high... 25k+ tax... is about right... Tourags do fall straight to 3-5k in a few years, but you don't seem like you want to sell, So it is a nice vehicle at that price point. Anything with comparable features will be close to 35-40k new.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:26 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Its not bad..
Would like to see how others fair with this task... buy back is going to be 25k plus tax (about 50% of new cost), 4 yrs old and 35-40k on the odometer so it might not be the best move.

I might need to investigate this market segment, :disgust: :gag:
I mean honestly... used car values are still relatively high... 25k+ tax... is about right... Tourags do fall straight to 3-5k in a few years, but you don't seem like you want to sell, So it is a nice vehicle at that price point. Anything with comparable features will be close to 35-40k new.

This brings up a good point, playing the long term game, is it cheaper to keep this for four more years or buy a 40k thing that lasts 8 yrs?

I do like that the t-reg is built like a Panzer :doe:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:55 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:26 pm

This brings up a good point, playing the long term game, is it cheaper to keep this for four more years or buy a 40k thing that lasts 8 yrs?

Depending on motor+ trans used, I'd say yes it is. Buying anything new over something that has 40k miles or less is ALWAYS more expensive, unless you're dealing with non depreciating vehicles as found in my thread.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:57 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:55 pm

Depending on motor+ trans used, I'd say yes it is. Buying anything new over something that has 40k miles or less is ALWAYS more expensive, unless you're dealing with non depreciating vehicles as found in my thread.
:themoreyouknow:

Glad to see some things never change, I'm pretty ok keeping it unless she insists that she wants something newer, and then I'd throw in sedans and/or hybrid options like the Rav and see if anything lije that interests her.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:14 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:57 pm

Glad to see some things never change, I'm pretty ok keeping it unless she insists that she wants something newer, and then I'd throw in sedans and/or hybrid options like the Rav and see if anything lije that interests her.
Rav 4 is probably going to be around 35....
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:14 pm

All new, warranty plus fuel savings and maybe there is an arguement for something like that over a 4 yr old out of warranty truck like the touareg.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:53 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 pm

All new, warranty plus fuel savings and maybe there is an arguement for something like that over a 4 yr old out of warranty truck like the touareg.
Possibly .... the rav 4 will need nothing for 6/7 years other than tires and oil changes. Touareg May need a repair or 3 ...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:16 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Possibly .... the rav 4 will need nothing for 6/7 years other than tires and oil changes. Touareg May need a repair or 3 ...
I'll take that as 3-5k in repairs, and lets say that mama saves 2k in fuel over 4 yrs. 6k chiseled off the price gap, add resale value and the Rav is worth 15k, T-reg worth 5k. $16k wiped out just like that. Needs to be a hybrid/fuel efficient and spending the 35k nets a 6k savings, meanwhile a 40k replacement is a wash. Is that fair to say?
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:52 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:16 pm

I'll take that as 3-5k in repairs, and lets say that mama saves 2k in fuel over 4 yrs. 6k chiseled off the price gap, add resale value and the Rav is worth 15k, T-reg worth 5k. $16k wiped out just like that. Needs to be a hybrid/fuel efficient and spending the 35k nets a 6k savings, meanwhile a 40k replacement is a wash. Is that fair to say?
Biggest question is around the depreciation of the "comparison" vehicle, with the Touareg you pretty much know how much there is to lose... 25k tops... the replacement car could be something like a Rav 4 that goes from 40k to 10 in 4 years... because everyone has one now and they are dirt cheap like camrys... so its unpredictable
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:49 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:31 pm
Best part about this is... anytime, anything will happen to this car it will go straight back to you. You're :doomed:

Also dog sitter slinging 15k cash for a car seems excessive, she should just buy something a lot more pedestrian than that.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 71289.html Like a Rav 4 and look at that leather loaded version...

or
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 77357.html
for 10k I'd stay away from obscure MAZDERPS that no one wanted new... let alone used.
:dat: I almost never recommend cars to friends any more, especially :tits: friends.
Man you guys are fucking depressing. Try to help someone out and I'm a dumb ass. I can't say you are wrong.
And everyone, do you even read the fucking English language? She is a caterer.....she makes real money how else does she have 15 grand.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Plus she wants a LARGE CUV, not a fucking RAV4. You sent me 100K mile cars. Stop circle jerking to Toyota.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:49 am Plus she wants a LARGE CUV, not a fucking RAV4. You sent me 100K mile cars. Stop circle jerking to Toyota.
N00dz pls
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:55 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:49 am Plus she wants a LARGE CUV, not a fucking RAV4. You sent me 100K mile cars. Stop circle jerking to Toyota.
N00dz pls
I'm hoping for a sexy Latina or something. Or even better middle eastern. :boner:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:51 am

N00dz pls
I'm hoping for a sexy Latina or something. Or even better middle eastern. :boner:
Yassssss
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:48 am
:dat: I almost never recommend cars to friends any more, especially :tits: friends.
Man you guys are fucking depressing. Try to help someone out and I'm a dumb ass. I can't say you are wrong.
And everyone, do you even read the fucking English language? She is a caterer.....she makes real money how else does she have 15 grand.
ChrisoftheNorth

Applaud your effort to help someone, but it's very likely going to end up biting you.

My dad GAVE a car to a friend in a similar situation. It was worth maybe a few grand tops. EVERY fucking time something breaks the "friend" calls my dad and asks for help...with the expectation my dad will fix it for him as "help". My dad, now retired, obliges, but bitches about it every time. He said he wishes he had just sent the car to the junkyard instead.

I won't even help my wife buy a car again. Fuck that shit.

Hope Sarena ponies up a blowie or something.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:15 pm I share this forum's contempt of women car buyers. Let me tell you a tale, which happened TODAY. Fresh news, brah.

We have a dogsitter, Sarena.....she stays at our house every time we leave for the reasonable sum of $50/day. She is a caterer by trade, and always makes yummy stuff for us to arrive home to. Sarena drives (until 2 days ago) this blue VR6 MkIV Jetta.........a cool car in its day, and still a cool car if maintained. This car is SO BEAT......desert burnt paint, and the VR6 has had a death rattle for more than a year...I am always :amazing: that it is still running. Finally 2 days ago it died. I have told her for a while that she should expect this, and she has been saving.......her car budget was $15K cash. She wants a biggish CUV.....a Toyota Highlander class vehicle. The problem is that Toyota Highlanders under $15K either have 125K miles on them, are 10 years old, or both. So today I send her this....

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto ... 91498.html

I ask her can somebody drive her down to Coronado? No. I say fine, tell the guy we'll be there at 11. (I always need to visit my ex brother in law in SD, probably to to lunch with my ex mother in law).

Now I am getting peppered with all these questions. Lady, your car is BLOWN UP. You have NO CAR. I found you a BEAUTIFUL, completely loaded CX-9. Hard loaded brah. Every option. With 61K miles on it, California car. I'm even bringing my ex brother in law, an auto mechanic, with a scan tool. She will absolutely love this thing. Just STFU, and go down and buy it. Jesus. :tits:
:rolleyes:

thats a great deal. I'd have bought that for us over the MDX even with the black leather.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:51 am

N00dz pls
Sarena sounds latin :jimp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:04 am

Applaud your effort to help someone, but it's very likely going to end up biting you.

My dad GAVE a car to a friend in a similar situation. It was worth maybe a few grand tops. EVERY fucking time something breaks the "friend" calls my dad and asks for help...with the expectation my dad will fix it for him as "help". My dad, now retired, obliges, but bitches about it every time. He said he wishes he had just sent the car to the junkyard instead.

You know she is going to be hot with all the 'help' being offered..
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:22 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:04 am

She better be.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 am

She better be.
This story ends with @desertbreh fixing her brakes on his driveway and no blowie. :disappoint:

:lolol:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

She better be.
This is Pro-boneO work.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 am
She better be.
This story ends with @desertbreh fixing her brakes on his driveway and no blowie. :disappoint:

:lolol:
You know it. Hopefully there's good spank bank material at least.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I’m here for the boobies
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

If that CX9 has the turbo motor there is a reason it’s dirt cheap. That was a Ford era vehicle.