Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Hey Golf R folk, have there been any notable updates from 2016 Golf R to today ? mainly in terms of engine/trans/reliability. I don't care for the "Virtual COCKpits" or the "new lights".

The 2016s are in the mid/high 20s so they are quite appealing.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 pm Hey Golf R folk, have there been any notable updates from 2016 Golf R to today ? mainly in terms of engine/trans/reliability. I don't care for the "Virtual COCKpits" or the "new lights".

Plus better RAMZ
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:24 pm
max225 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 pm Hey Golf R folk, have there been any notable updates from 2016 Golf R to today ? mainly in terms of engine/trans/reliability. I don't care for the "Virtual COCKpits" or the "new lights".

Plus better RAMZ
Yea that's an easy fix, but adding a gear to the DSG isn't. I don't like the 18+ wheels, i prefer the pretorias. I am contemplating my next car.... I think the 50k for the model 3 is too rich for my blood, so I am looking in the mid 20 range for something that is still fun(ish).

Civic Hatch is out there... as is golf R. Is the hype R still stupid money ?
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

The new Jetta GLI is pretty enjoyable to drive. I took one out the other day. The dealer quoted me $25,800 just for walking in the door on the 35th Anniversary model, which was something like $1100 off sticker.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I think for 2018 they got a 7spd DSGay
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I am very interested in anything you glean on the used Argh front as it will likely be my next vehicle in about a year.
max225

Irish wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 pm I am very interested in anything you glean on the used Argh front as it will likely be my next vehicle in about a year.
Need to drive one. My issue is ... it’s a golf.... well time will tell. F30s are in the same price range but I can’t get a 3rd
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:32 pm
Irish wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 pm I am very interested in anything you glean on the used Argh front as it will likely be my next vehicle in about a year.
Need to drive one. My issue is ... it’s a golf.... well time will tell. F30s are in the same price range but I can’t get a 3rd
Yeah, I get that.....but it would be an upgrade for me and a souped up Golf is a pretty good all around car with my 43 mile (one way) commute and my enthusiast spirit.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Didn't read ahead yet, but here is what I've gathered over my ownership experience...

2017 gets second model year status, which to me means that it has had at least a few flaws resolved, blue lighting in the front door panels and kick plates which is whatever, but gives the car a little upscale feel, Pretoria wheels vs Cadiz wheels, blue head unit highlights vs red GTI head unit from the VW parts bin.

These aren't really substantial updates but I like the wheels I guess, and for the record have 70k kms and two warranty repairs to date, a door handle KESSY sensor for driver door lock and a leaky windshield washer reservoir which might have to do with a rock bouncing around down there or severe winter weather.

I don't dig the digi-dash either but it is kind of Audi-esque for those who like that tech.

I'm still very much entertained by my spec R which has a DSG and and aftermarket non-resonated remus catback exhaust and a disconnected soundaktor. It is all the car needs to have a personality and actually feel fast. The DSG is recommended by moi, and that specific tranny gives the car the stats to match its reputation.

I assume it will continue to depreciate like any typical Audi S3, so either car fits the bill but I think that the Gorf trades a meh sunroof for a cool body style, and more practicality from Head unit to cargo transport.

As a dad and self employed highway traveller who has a couple of small tool boxes and a lap top bag, I'm hard pressed to think of what I'd trade my car in for that would give me a better all around daily experience. Maybe a performance variant Charger/Challenger, and possibly a JLU of I didn't travel the way that I do.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:11 am

Didn't read ahead yet, but here is what I've gathered over my ownership experience...

2017 gets second model year status, which to me means that it has had at least a few flaws resolved, blue lighting in the front door panels and kick plates which is whatever, but gives the car a little upscale feel, Pretoria wheels vs Cadiz wheels, blue head unit highlights vs red GTI head unit from the VW parts bin.

These aren't really substantial updates but I like the wheels I guess, and for the record have 70k kms and two warranty repairs to date, a door handle KESSY sensor for driver door lock and a leaky windshield washer reservoir which might have to do with a rock bouncing around down there or severe winter weather.

I don't dig the digi-dash either but it is kind of Audi-esque for those who like that tech.

I'm still very much entertained by my spec R which has a DSG and and aftermarket non-resonated remus catback exhaust and a disconnected soundaktor. It is all the car needs to have a personality and actually feel fast. The DSG is recommended by moi, and that specific tranny gives the car the stats to match its reputation.

I assume it will continue to depreciate like any typical Audi S3, so either car fits the bill but I think that the Gorf trades a meh sunroof for a cool body style, and more practicality from Head unit to cargo transport.

As a dad and self employed highway traveller who has a couple of small tool boxes and a lap top bag, I'm hard pressed to think of what I'd trade my car in for that would give me a better all around daily experience. Maybe a performance variant Charger/Challenger, and possibly a JLU of I didn't travel the way that I do.
Thank you for the feedback ! I thought 2017 is 3rd mode year ... 2015 being first.

I do love Pretoria’s but once buying the car I think I may get a set of 18s, I’m sort of done with the large wheel lyfe. I hate oversized wheels.

I heard the digi dash in the golf has a shit resolution compared to Audi....

Good to hear about the low issues too.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:17 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:11 am

Thank you for the feedback ! I thought 2017 is 3rd mode year ... 2015 being first.

I do love Pretoria’s but once buying the car I think I may get a set of 18s, I’m sort of done with the large wheel lyfe. I hate oversized wheels.

I heard the digi dash in the golf has a shit resolution compared to Audi....

Good to hear about the low issues too.
Ah you're right there is a MY15! We didn't get it here from what I've seen.. I guess 16s aren't that different if you peel off the wheels.

I don't like the digi-dash much vs the visually appealing red white and blue dash that I have in mine. I never really looked at it closely doe.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/m ... 1D0A24CAD8
"Driving feels new and novel again. The way it re-introduces driving enthusiasm to a driving enthusiast is remarkable."
I agree a lot with this sentiment. I really hope more good EVs are on the way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Detroit wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/m ... 1D0A24CAD8
"Driving feels new and novel again. The way it re-introduces driving enthusiasm to a driving enthusiast is remarkable."
:neat:

Seeing a 3 series last in a comparo is :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:19 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/m ... 1D0A24CAD8

:neat:

Seeing a 3 series last in a comparo is :mindblown:
The 3 series (non M) has been lost since the F30. It's really sad IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/m ... 1D0A24CAD8
4000 bloody lbs. :gag:

3650 for a base 4 cyl sedan is also disgusting. Fuck new cars.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 am
Detroit wrote:https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/m ... 1D0A24CAD8

4000 bloody lbs. :gag:

Batteries are heavy, at least they're all right above the ground, so the COG is crazy low...makes EVs "fun" to drive despite the weight.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 am 4000 bloody lbs. :gag:

Batteries are heavy, at least they're all right above the ground, so the COG is crazy low...makes EVs "fun" to drive despite the weight.
:yeahok:

It's outbraked and outcornered by the heavy ass new 330. Fine for drag strip heros like you and Max, but of no interest to me.

It's not fun to get speeding tickets. Straight line speed is useless.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:03 am
Detroit wrote: Batteries are heavy, at least they're all right above the ground, so the COG is crazy low...makes EVs "fun" to drive despite the weight.

It's outbraked and outcornered by the heavy ass new 330. Fine for drag strip heros like you and Max, but of no interest to me.

Can’t hide the weight without throwing real tires on it... :225: are standard on a car that weighs 4000lbs which is nuts, civic sport outhandles both and is 1000lbs lighter and 34k cheaper. this one has the “upgraded” 235 no seasons but it needs 255 Michelin’s all around then it’ll be much better handling
Last edited by max225 on Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:03 am
Detroit wrote: Batteries are heavy, at least they're all right above the ground, so the COG is crazy low...makes EVs "fun" to drive despite the weight.

When you live where I do (you used to), there's NOWHERE to corner and brake. So that performance is a waste to me. If I had more access to roads with curves, I'd be with you 100% (I was when I lived in CA). My commute is 15 miles of Woodward each way every day, there's no turning at all really.

EV's are neat with :plaid: acceleration 0-40...there's no risk of speeding tickets there, and it's enough to have just a bit of fun...though not much. The reality is, "fun" in a car is highly dependent on where you live. Here, it's a quarter mile at a time or nothing. I'm starting to lean toward the latter.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:03 am :yeahok:

Can’t hide the weight without throwing real tires on it... :225: are standard on a car that weighs 4000lbs which is nuts, civic sport outhandles both is and is 1000lbs lighter and 34k cheaper. this one has the “upgraded” 235 no seasons but it needs 255 Michelin’s all around then it’ll be much better handling
That's what I'd put on a 3000 lb car. 4000 lbs you're looking at 315 or 335 to actually turn and stop. $2000 a set and you'll tear them up quickly.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:14 am
max225 wrote: Can’t hide the weight without throwing real tires on it... :225: are standard on a car that weighs 4000lbs which is nuts, civic sport outhandles both is and is 1000lbs lighter and 34k cheaper. this one has the “upgraded” 235 no seasons but it needs 255 Michelin’s all around then it’ll be much better handling
That's what I'd put on a 3000 lb car. 4000 lbs you're looking at 315 or 335 to actually turn and stop. $2000 a set and you'll tear them up quickly.
You can’t really race this thing .... battery has to be at 50-90% and it takes 30 miles an hr to charge at home, so you better be real close to a track or have to trailer it...and the only one you can “track” is the model 3 performance with the special software mode, costing well over 65k, this one doesn’t have it.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:03 am :yeahok:

When you live where I do (you used to), there's NOWHERE to corner and brake. So that performance is a waste to me. If I had more access to roads with curves, I'd be with you 100% (I was when I lived in CA). My commute is 15 miles of Woodward each way every day, there's no turning at all really.

EV's are neat with :plaid: acceleration 0-40...there's no risk of speeding tickets there, and it's enough to have just a bit of fun...though not much. The reality is, "fun" in a car is highly dependent on where you live. Here, it's a quarter mile at a time or nothing. I'm starting to lean toward the latter.
:iono:

The times that I'm the first person at a light are incredibly rare, it's always some :derp: in a :truk: or :minivan: going 1/10 in front. For up there I'd go with looks cool + sounds cool, which the tesla is neither. V8 Challenger in your case. If you're going 4000 lbs, make it badass.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am
Detroit wrote:When you live where I do (you used to), there's NOWHERE to corner and brake. So that performance is a waste to me. If I had more access to roads with curves, I'd be with you 100% (I was when I lived in CA). My commute is 15 miles of Woodward each way every day, there's no turning at all really.

:iono:

The times that I'm the first person at a light are incredibly rare, it's always some :derp: in a :truk: or :minivan: going 1/10 in front. For up there I'd go with looks cool + sounds cool, which the tesla is neither. V8 Challenger in your case. If you're going 4000 lbs, make it badass.
Yea...that's why I like my car. Makes good sounds, fast when I want, top comes off for open air cruising. It's a pretty ideal option for "fun" here.

If I didn't have it, i'd probably be looking at a Challenger for sure.
max225

The cool thing about the giant challenger/charger etc is that that they can actually handle shit roads. The wheels and tires are much bigger than on normal cars.

Dads car is rolling on 245/45/20s. That’s as much side wall as a golf on 17s.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:The cool thing about the giant challenger/charger etc is that that they can actually handle shit roads. The wheels and tires are much bigger than on normal cars.

Dads car is rolling on 245/45/20s. That’s as much side wall as a golf on 17s.
:word:

Even a :poorvette: can do the same if you don't lower the damn thing, hell 245/45/17 is the OEM front tire on a C5.