Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Irish wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm There is zero doubt in my mind that stress was/is a key contributor to my current medical woes.

Hard thinking/worrying trumps hard physical labor when it comes to overall damage to mere mortals. I have done both. The key differentiator is whether one can "leave work at work" or not. In most of the jobs I have had that were physically taxing, I had no "big picture" responsibilities, thus was only subjected to work-a-day stresses which ended the minute my ass hit my car seat in the parking lot.

The all encompassing, 24/7, sink-or-swim, kill-or-be-killed variety of stress is a fucking killer.
I feel completely different physically (better, healthier, etc) after leaving my old job for my current. The stress at the last one was ridiculous compared to now. It was absolutely taking a physical toll on my body...then factor in the excessive drinking as a result...and it was a bad mix.

But I just sit at a desk all day and do nothing. I'm just another :alpo: and will live to 100 without ZFG.
You're just like most of the clowns here talking up the trades... If trades were so great, why aren't any of you doing them? Why didn't you advise :rudy: to say fuck corporate security and be an electrician? Because desk jobs, even crappy ones, are better in almost every case.

Trades are a respectable last resort if you don't have the mental capacity to get a desk job. They're not a goal.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:33 pm
Detroit wrote: I feel completely different physically (better, healthier, etc) after leaving my old job for my current. The stress at the last one was ridiculous compared to now. It was absolutely taking a physical toll on my body...then factor in the excessive drinking as a result...and it was a bad mix.

But I just sit at a desk all day and do nothing. I'm just another :alpo: and will live to 100 without ZFG.
You're just like most of the clowns here talking up the trades... If trades were so great, why aren't any of you doing them? Why didn't you advise :rudy: to say fuck corporate security and be an electrician? Because desk jobs, even crappy ones, are better in almost every case.

Trades are a respectable last resort if you don't have the mental capacity to get a desk job. They're not a goal.
I got into my line of work in the late 80's, when the field was still good to be in. Today, I don't recommend it to anyone capable of doing something else.

I also can and do practice other things. I know how to weld (I'm not great, but can get it done). I can do plumbing, woodworking, gunsmithing and refinishing, I can work on cars and other engines. I understand how electrical systems work and can read blueprints and schematics. I can make beer from grains, hops and water. I know how to distill spirits. I know how to do most mechanical and construction jobs. I can drive an 18 wheeler (not licensed tho).

I have done all of those things and own the tools to do them today if needed. These are all things I wouldn't know if I just sat behind a desk like people think.

Knowing how to do things is important and having skills is valuable. I predict my job will completely be outsourced to India or Russia inside 10 years and everyone here trying to do it will be hosed. Just too easy to pay a guy $40K USD and almost no stock rather than my salary. Of course there is a difference in out put quality, but money talks and that's what matters.

You can't outsource local labor and that kind of work to a cheaper country. Therefore, those jobs should never really feel unemployment.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Detroit wrote: I feel completely different physically (better, healthier, etc) after leaving my old job for my current. The stress at the last one was ridiculous compared to now. It was absolutely taking a physical toll on my body...then factor in the excessive drinking as a result...and it was a bad mix.

If I had a child, which is physically impossible, but if I did, I would likely suggest he/she go into a trade. The job opportunities are fantastic, especially with a good head on your shoulders, and bonus of saving the ridiculous expense of a college education. Trades were never presented as an option to me, as they aren't to most young people, so I never really had a chance to consider it. With how much I enjoy working with my hands :pinshit: I realize that I probably would have been really happy working a trade. Started at the bottom, learned what I needed and got great work done, starting my own business, and growing that business. I think I'd find it more rewarding than dealing with the corporate :bs: that I do now.

So why don't I go do that? I just might at some point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:51 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:33 pm You're just like most of the clowns here talking up the trades... If trades were so great, why aren't any of you doing them? Why didn't you advise :rudy: to say fuck corporate security and be an electrician? Because desk jobs, even crappy ones, are better in almost every case.

I got into my line of work in the late 80's, when the field was still good to be in. Today, I don't recommend it to anyone capable of doing something else.

I also can and do practice other things. I know how to weld (I'm not great, but can get it done). I can do plumbing, woodworking, gunsmithing and refinishing, I can work on cars and other engines. I understand how electrical systems work and can read blueprints and schematics. I can make beer from grains, hops and water. I know how to distill spirits. I know how to do most mechanical and construction jobs. I can drive an 18 wheeler (not licensed tho).

I have done all of those things and own the tools to do them today if needed. These are all things I wouldn't know if I just sat behind a desk like people think.

Knowing how to do things is important and having skills is valuable. I predict my job will completely be outsourced to India or Russia inside 10 years and everyone here trying to do it will be hosed. Just too easy to pay a guy $40K USD and almost no stock rather than my salary. Of course there is a difference in out put quality, but money talks and that's what matters.

You can't outsource local labor and that kind of work to a cheaper country. Therefore, those jobs should never really feel unemployment.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

There's people that cry when receiving feedback to their work? WTF
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:33 pm You're just like most of the clowns here talking up the trades... If trades were so great, why aren't any of you doing them? Why didn't you advise :rudy: to say fuck corporate security and be an electrician? Because desk jobs, even crappy ones, are better in almost every case.

If I had a child, which is physically impossible, but if I did, I would likely suggest he/she go into a trade. The job opportunities are fantastic, especially with a good head on your shoulders, and bonus of saving the ridiculous expense of a college education. Trades were never presented as an option to me, as they aren't to most young people, so I never really had a chance to consider it. With how much I enjoy working with my hands :pinshit: I realize that I probably would have been really happy working a trade. Started at the bottom, learned what I needed and got great work done, starting my own business, and growing that business. I think I'd find it more rewarding than dealing with the corporate :bs: that I do now.

So why don't I go do that? I just might at some point.
So a business school graduate with a huge professional network and lots of capital would start a business? Great. That's not the same.

Come on, Chris. You're simply too good (in that you care about money and your physical health) to work with your hands for a living. So is :waxer: and :[user not found]: and :sawce: and desertbreh and :wap: and :225: and :fax: and :melon: and griffballz and even :rudy:

Desk jobs offer more reward for less risk. People do physical labor only as long as they have to in order to get into management or another desk job. Exception: surgeons.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

As was stated before, trades weren't presented as an option for me. Throughout my childhood, it was beat into my head that you had to go to college and get a degree in order to be successful. It was perpetuated that people who worked with their hands had fucked up in life and had no other recourse. I rather enjoy working with my hands, and everything I know from an automotive standpoint has been self-taught. It is why I'm in facility management. I may have a desk job, but I still wear steel toes every single day. Why? Because on Monday, I was on the roof. Yesterday, Sunoco had an inadvertent return of bentonite on our property. Today, I was walking the field going over details for a new fiber installation. My desk job requires me to interact and coordinate numerous tradesmen of various trades. At this point, if I'm going to start over, it isn't going to be as a union apprentice.

The difference here being that I will present trades as an option to my kids, because I don't necessarily see working with your hands as a vice and I don't believe that desk jobs are inherently better.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I was way more unhealthy at my desk job and I had a fat pancake ass from sitting around + eating my entire shift out of boredom. I don't make great money yet at my trade, but I know I can get to comfortable money. I gross $55k/yr which is OK but it doesn't afford me much extra. I don't think hitting $70k gross by this time next year is unreasonable, but I do work 55hrs a week.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

The days of a college degree being a veritable golden ticket are long gone...... however, they do still act as keys that open doors that would otherwise stay closed. They also can break ceilings that are built over non degreed :derp: (like me) ...... If I had a degree, I would have likely stayed at Kellogg's because I could have applied to all manner of positions that were just not on the table because of my perceived ignorance.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I got into my gig from a direct interest in law enforcement and security, and I had mentors help guide me to making the best decisions I could for myself.

My degree was paid for by my accomplishments and I have no plan on getting further formal education outside of certificates and licenses or even degrees as long as they are paid by my employer.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Irish

razr390 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:03 pm I got into my gig from a direct interest in law enforcement and security, and I had mentors help guide me to making the best decisions I could for myself.

My degree was paid for by my accomplishments and I have no plan on getting further formal education outside of certificates and licenses or even degrees as long as they are paid by my employer.
Your accomplishments are :impressive: young padawan.......

I'm not as financially successful as many here but I have lived bout 40% longer than the aggregate....... So, if I may, I will offer some advice......

Take.
every.
single.
company paid educational opportunity that you are afforded.

And, without excuse,
GO.
DO THE WORK.
REAP THE BENEFITS.

I always thought I had time to go back to school..... then marriage, crotchfruit, death of parental units, etc, etc GOT IN THE WAY.

That is why I am in my fifties, throwing my health away trying to bulldoze my way into a 6 figure income. Don't be me.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:57 pm
razr390 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:03 pm I got into my gig from a direct interest in law enforcement and security, and I had mentors help guide me to making the best decisions I could for myself.

I'm not as financially successful as many here but I have lived bout 40% longer than the aggregate....... So, if I may, I will offer some advice......

Take.
every.
single.

And, without excuse,
GO.
DO THE WORK.
REAP THE BENEFITS.

I always thought I had time to go back to school..... then marriage, crotchfruit, death of parental units, etc, etc GOT IN THE WAY.

That is why I am in my fifties, throwing my health away trying to bulldoze my way into a 6 figure income. Don't be me.
:eeyore:

You're doing fine, my fellow old, better than many here. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Take.
every.
single.

And, without excuse,
GO.
DO THE WORK.
REAP THE BENEFITS.

Hey man, you’re working extremely hard and I think you’ll wind up in a good spot.

But I have to brag on my dad for a second. He is 65 and was determined to get a college degree. Originally a high school drop out, he ended up getting his deplorable around age 20 in the US Army. Years later he realized a degree could help much more and he started going to community college while working full time night shift. He’d work for 12 hours, get off at 6, drive to school, sleep in his Rabbit Diesel for a few hours, then go to class. He got the associates in around ‘95 at 42 years old. He then decided to go to undergrad a bit later, still working full time, and got his BS in 2013, shortly after mine, his youngest kid, in 2011.

He came from a poor ass broken family and no one else went to college. I’m certainly proud of him, but you’re right, it’s crazy hard work and from starting community college to getting the BS took 12+ years.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:48 am

Take.
every.
single.

And, without excuse,
GO.
DO THE WORK.
REAP THE BENEFITS.

Hey man, you’re working extremely hard and I think you’ll wind up in a good spot.

But I have to brag on my dad for a second. He is 65 and was determined to get a college degree. Originally a high school drop out, he ended up getting his deplorable around age 20 in the US Army. Years later he realized a degree could help much more and he started going to community college while working full time night shift. He’d work for 12 hours, get off at 6, drive to school, sleep in his Rabbit Diesel for a few hours, then go to class. He got the associates in around ‘95 at 42 years old. He then decided to go to undergrad a bit later, still working full time, and got his BS in 2013, shortly after mine, his youngest kid, in 2011.

He came from a poor ass broken family and no one else went to college. I’m certainly proud of him, but you’re right, it’s crazy hard work and from starting community college to getting the BS took 12+ years.
:amaze: story. :bravo: to your dad.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

:truckyeah:

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:50 pm :truckyeah:

Title:

"My Tesla truck took my dog to my ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend's ranch." #1 hit at the CMA awards in 2021.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I'll just leave this here...

Irish

wap wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:51 pm

Take.
every.
single.

And, without excuse,
GO.
DO THE WORK.
REAP THE BENEFITS.

:eeyore:

You're doing fine, my fellow old, better than many here. :like:
:wub:
Irish

Take.
every.
single.

And, without excuse,
GO.
DO THE WORK.
REAP THE BENEFITS.

Thanks man....... I was just emphasizing to Rudyballz that it is so easy to let things slide......thinking that there is time......

:jelly: of your Dad but happy for him nonetheless......you should be proud of him as I am sure he is of you as well....
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Irish wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:39 pm

Thanks man....... I was just emphasizing to Rudyballz that it is so easy to let things slide......thinking that there is time......

:jelly: of your Dad but happy for him nonetheless......you should be proud of him as I am sure he is of you as well....
No doubt. But the one thing I emphasize in all of this is that it isn’t impossible. If there’s a will there is a way.

I am playing the long game and smart game. Once I get into management/senior management I’ll try to get a masters.

But then again, right now I need to focus on mastering my new promotion so I can actually Lee the job and grow.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Grab a popcorn and enjoy the :derp: ness

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:50 pm :truckyeah:

:lolol: :amaze:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Take.
every.
single.

And, without excuse,
GO.
DO THE WORK.
REAP THE BENEFITS.

That sounds like my dad too, except he only got a certificate degree. He grew up in poverty, got his first car in his 30's (had a company beater car before). He began working for an airline company starting from the lowest position after his dad passed away at 17, so he had to work to look after my grandmother.

But thats also good to hear that he didn't give up. I have one year left to wrap up so I won't ever have to deal with that when im almost 30. But I experienced real life during my time off too, so thats a plus.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Take.
every.
single.

And, without excuse,
GO.
DO THE WORK.
REAP THE BENEFITS.

My dad also didn't finish high school, his mom never worked, my dad worked with his dad at Grand Bazaar in Istanbul since he was 9 making bed frames with dad, and thats the only way they have put food on the table. My grandfather died of an heart attack when my dad was 17, because they were about to get evicted. He dropped out of high school so he can work long ass hours just to have a roof over their head, period. He worked at making leather shoes, steel, sold grandfathers business, and began working on an airline company where his best and only friend hooked him up. He became an HR for Swiss airlines in Turkey when I was in diapers, and that is a huge fucking deal given his credentials, or lack thereof. He also married my mom who was from a :waxer: family where my grandpa retired at 40, had a Mercedes and so on, she never ridden a bus until she met my dad. Which make sense why im bipolarly :scrooge: and eager to :troywax: Now we end up living in a county in DC metro area, where its median household income is $100k, that means non garaged townhouses are $300k.

Moral of the story, not everyone that didn't even finish high school will end up living or below poverty line, and work hard to ensure you get a decent living and perhaps :waxer: depending on parameters. My dad could care less if someone got a degree or not, it doesn't mean shit to him as far as being human is concerned.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:53 am Grab a popcorn and enjoy the :derp: ness

Lowers car. Complains about lost ground clearance.