Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:00 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:08 pm

I don't blame the parents. Fk that. That's like saying hitlers kids will be mass murderers also. People make their own path in life.
Wrong.

While people are ultimately free to make their own decisions, much of what they know is based off of what they see others doing. If they see their parents doing certain things and propagating certain habits, it's very likely they'd do it too unless they understand why they shouldn't.

Understanding money and credit is not instinct, it's learned. If it's learned the wrong way, they'll do it the wrong way.
Some things are learned, some aren't. Finances absolutely are.

I have a friend that has horrible credit because he has no clue how it works. Some months he skips his car paymnet because he "can't afford it that month" then doubles up on payments the next month. He claims he's "building his credit" that way. Ummmmmmmm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:08 pm

I don't blame the parents. Fk that. That's like saying hitlers kids will be mass murderers also. People make their own path in life.
Wrong.

While people are ultimately free to make their own decisions, much of what they know is based off of what they see others doing. If they see their parents doing certain things and propagating certain habits, it's very likely they'd do it too unless they understand why they shouldn't.

Understanding money and credit is not instinct, it's learned. If it's learned the wrong way, they'll do it the wrong way.
:dat:

I mean, at a certain point, sure, it's your own personal responsibility.

But many are :doomed: from day one sadly. I mean, just look at the stats, most everyone from stable homes with responsible parents grows up to be that way and most everyone from broken homes ends up breaking a home of their own. It's hard to pull yourself out of poverty/shit when you wind up having a :baby: at 17 and have nowhere to turn. Not like a 13 year old can just tighten the belt and go get a job to get a better life.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:13 pm

Wrong.

I have a friend that has horrible credit because he has no clue how it works. Some months he skips his car paymnet because he "can't afford it that month" then doubles up on payments the next month. He claims he's "building his credit" that way. Ummmmmmmm
:fullretard:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225

Irish wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:55 pm :horse: anyone?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/23/elon-mu ... horse.html
he is not :wrong: it is a completely different experience from "fueling up" to service, to acceleration etc.

Only haters haven't driven/been around one long enough and are screaming at the screen saying how much better an outdated ICE engine is compared to the future.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm
Irish wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:55 pm :horse: anyone?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/23/elon-mu ... horse.html
he is not :wrong: it is a completely different experience from "fueling up" to service, to acceleration etc.

Only haters haven't driven/been around one long enough and are screaming at the screen saying how much better an outdated ICE engine is compared to the future.
I have actually driven a P 90 D on a back road and can’t say that it is a pretty amazing piece of technology but definitely not for me as a car lover. The burbling of the exhaust, the squealing of the tires to turn, feedback through the steering wheel, these are all things that make sports cars fun and exciting and they’re all 100% absent on the Model S. It’s amazing yes, but not really fun/exciting. All depends on what you’re after.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:35 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm

I have actually driven a P 90 D on a back road and can’t say that it is a pretty amazing piece of technology but definitely not for me as a car lover. The burbling of the exhaust, the squealing of the tires to turn, feedback through the steering wheel, these are all things that make sports cars fun and exciting and they’re all 100% absent on the Model S. It’s amazing yes, but not really fun/exciting. All depends on what you’re after.
It’s not a sports car
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:23 pm

My very last customers at BMW thought that paying their payments every 3 months was the right way to make payments.

:facepalm:
:impressive:
max225

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/24/lan ... and-rover/

I guess people still breed horses as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

My very last customers at BMW thought that paying their payments every 3 months was the right way to make payments.

Best is when I tried to correct him...he said I was :wrong: because the :dillerman: he bought it from said it was OK. I think he paid too much for the car and the payment is too high but he can "afford" it by paying every other month. THAT I'll never understand. How is that better?

Dude also has at most $500 in savings at a time. Money goes in and immediately back out. That's how his parents lived, and despite my suggestions to help with savings (automatically divert $50 or something per paycheck to savings account, etc) he claims it's "too hard" and he "can't afford it".

Then he goes on to tell me how lucky I am and I have no idea what it's like as if I was born with a six figure salary. That's when :rage: sets in. Other than the wife and I (that he blames as :alpo: ), the dude has had zero example of how to be fiscally responsible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:35 pm

It’s not a sports car
:dat:

I think the car is fun as hell...but I also live in the land of straight roads and 1/4 mile lyfe.

I'd really love to have an EV. But aside from the Model 3, there's just nothing out there that interests me much.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I guess to me the straight line stupid acceleration is like a roller coaster. It’s incredibly fun, but would I do that every day? No.

A Miata is a blast with every turn of the key.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Different strokes though :iono:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:34 am

Best is when I tried to correct him...he said I was :wrong: because the :dillerman: he bought it from said it was OK. I think he paid too much for the car and the payment is too high but he can "afford" it by paying every other month. THAT I'll never understand. How is that better?

Dude also has at most $500 in savings at a time. Money goes in and immediately back out. That's how his parents lived, and despite my suggestions to help with savings (automatically divert $50 or something per paycheck to savings account, etc) he claims it's "too hard" and he "can't afford it".

Then he goes on to tell me how lucky I am and I have no idea what it's like as if I was born with a six figure salary. That's when :rage: sets in. Other than the wife and I (that he blames as :alpo: ), the dude has had zero example of how to be fiscally responsible.
You’re so lucky that you were born with useable neurons in between your ears. :amazing:

People like that are :rage: inducing. Blame everyone but themselves for their problems.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 am I guess to me the straight line stupid acceleration is like a roller coaster. It’s incredibly fun, but would I do that every day? No.

To be fair most EV’s or cars with batteries (PEH’s) are usually MORE fun to drive than a non-battery counterpart since batteries are installed in the car in a way that makes the car’s center of gravity and weight between the wheels.

I feel like if you’re not going for Miata style driving, a Tesla Model S would still probably be engaging in a curvy road compared to a Chrysler 300 or some shit, BUT the fun factor of it affecting the “senses” (sound, etc.) wouldn’t be there at all.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 am Different strokes though :iono:
Totally.

I'd hate a Miata. All my roads are straight, so the steering wheel could be a tiller for all I care. It's slow, and I don't come close to fitting in it. Top down would be fun, but that's about it.

So personal preference and environment make a huge difference. If I had twisty roads to drive on, which I do enjoy immensely, my preferences might shift a bit.

Day 3 of DDing the :poorvette: this year, and the epic :lolol: :plaid: opportunities are what makes me giggle. There's two on-ramps on my commute that I can :lolol: at the ridiculous speeds the thing can carry in turns, but I'd be just as happy in a Hellcat or something.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:46 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:34 am :impressive:

You’re so lucky that you were born with useable neurons in between your ears. :amazing:

People like that are :rage: inducing. Blame everyone but themselves for their problems.
I blame my financial sense 100% on my upbringing, which is what I'm getting at ultimately. I was the only 8 year old I knew with a balance sheet to manage my allowance, fiscal responsibility was taught to me by my dad my entire life.

My friends parents still live paycheck to paycheck on SS now, always complaining about how lucky other people are to have money, etc.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:58 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:46 am

I blame my financial sense 100% on my upbringing, which is what I'm getting at ultimately. I was the only 8 year old I knew with a balance sheet to manage my allowance, fiscal responsibility was taught to me by my dad my entire life.

My friends parents still live paycheck to paycheck on SS now, always complaining about how lucky other people are to have money, etc.
Be very wary of them. The more the middle class ruptures the more envious they will be
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:50 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 am I guess to me the straight line stupid acceleration is like a roller coaster. It’s incredibly fun, but would I do that every day? No.

To be fair most EV’s or cars with batteries (PEH’s) are usually MORE fun to drive than a non-battery counterpart since batteries are installed in the car in a way that makes the car’s center of gravity and weight between the wheels.

I feel like if you’re not going for Miata style driving, a Tesla Model S would still probably be engaging in a curvy road compared to a Chrysler 300 or some shit, BUT the fun factor of it affecting the “senses” (sound, etc.) wouldn’t be there at all.
EV's are a ton of fun inherently because of the power delivery. I really get a kick out of driving the Volt.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:59 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:58 am

Be very wary of them. The more the middle class ruptures the more envious they will be
That's why I'm trying to help my friend, but he doesn't want my advice because it's "too hard" or whatever. I don't believe people should be doomed forever, they deserve a leg up, but it requires education.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:04 am

That's why I'm trying to help my friend, but he doesn't want my advice because it's "too hard" or whatever. I don't believe people should be doomed forever, they deserve a leg up, but it requires education.
You can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink.
razr390

You can’t help those that don’t want to help themselves. Your friend is in denial and won’t snap into a new way of thinking until he accepts that it’s his fault. :deadhorse:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

like whats the difference? they're still paying the same amount within that time frame.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Just like on leading horse to drink water, you can give them hints on getting their shit together, if they won't, it's their problem. But I also feel bad for those people as well for not having that much of common sense. Just like the way you were raised with balance sheet, every parent does it differently, and they grew up like that thinking that is the way to do so.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:42 am

like whats the difference? they're still paying the same amount within that time frame.
Seriously?

All credit reporting that I'm aware of reports account status monthly. A payment significantly after the due date in a month is marked as "late" and counts against your credit score. A payment not made until the due date or after of the next month is marked as "missed" which is even worse. GENERALLY, 3 missed payments in a row means your shit is getting repossessed.

Credit is actually really simple. People make it more complex with shit like this.

Pay your bills when they're due, and not after. There's even grace periods for reporting, so if you're just a few days late, you may get a fee, but it won't impact your credit. Blowing off a month or months at a time will be bad, :doe: