Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:40 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:51 am

I got caught behind a Fusion on my way to work today who took every single stop as a reason to check his phone, and then be so involved with whatever he was doing that he never noticed the damn traffic moving forward.
I'd be a little less upset about this, because at least he's not moving when he's fucking with it. I got rear ended by a (guess what brand....... DING DING DING IT'S A NISSAN!) Maxima on the highway because the kid was fucking with his phone and didn't see traffic came to a halt and couldn't react fast enough. He was also wearing headphones. While driving.
I don't get this at all and I see it constantly. Such a hazard.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:51 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Yeah dude I see the stupid shit every day. I can stand at a street corner near where I live, in a busy business district that's right next to a park and a day care, and watch every. single. vehicle. roll the stop sign, most at 15 or so MPH. People parking in crosswalks NFG so you can't see around their car to tell if a vehicle is trying to go through the intersection. Blatant red light running. Last minute decision to turn onto a street in a giant truck and run over a guy on a bicycle (saw that, :sad: ). Cars ping ponging off parked cars and speeding away (saw that about 4 times now). Cars driving wrong way down a one-way to get to their garage so they don't have to go around the block (daily). And then the plague that is the last minute OH SHIT THAT'S MY EXIT from the left lane cut across 3 lanes of busy traffic last second to exit the highway.

:disgust:

People, in general, don't deserve to drive. I used to be really against automated safety tech until I started to really notice how the general public treats driving and man....
I got caught behind a Fusion on my way to work today who took every single stop as a reason to check his phone, and then be so involved with whatever he was doing that he never noticed the damn traffic moving forward.
this makes me wanna get a train horn.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:36 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:08 pm Speaking of CD burning..... in the early 2000's I started following a NOLA band called the Radiators, who were amazing......

They had an open taping policy so dudes would hook up right to the sound board at their shows and up load to the Live Music Archive https://archive.org/details/etree .

We had a email list server that acted similar to a forum, where people (including myself eventually) would offer up "B&P's" . This is short for blanks and postage.

Basically a person would send blank disks and a postage paid return envelope and we would burn the show and send it back.

As a result I have every Radiators show I ever attended (35+) on CD. Which for most bands would be redundant, but these guys never played the same show twice.

33 years, 4410 shows, 1671 songs, 1149 venues, 444 cities, 878 downloads & 582 live audio shows

I was also into torrents for a while and got some amazing bootleg stuff ranging from Beatles, Cream, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, Allman Brothers, Jimi Hendrix......recording sessions and obscure shows.
Such as...?
I'll have to dig out my music list and get back to you...... I believe what I have was late 60's rehearsals
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:26 am
Apex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:41 pm

You expect too much financial literacy from people. :lol:
Well, when they don't teach any basic financial literacy in school, what can you expect.
Do they teach you not to blow up churches in school ? Some of this is common sense
max225

Holy fuckballs, 370 mile range on the model S now. As much as I hate the fact that these cars are literally everywhere here, they make the most sense for me :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:26 am

Well, when they don't teach any basic financial literacy in school, what can you expect.
Do they teach you not to blow up churches in school ? Some of this is common sense
Sadly, no, no it isn't. "Common sense" type things such as don't buy stuff you can't afford, save some of the money you make, eat reasonably healthy, etc, still have to be taught and learned. A lot of this is put on the parents to do. But if the parents are getting it wrong you can damn well bet the kids will get it wrong as well because that's what they know. Or even worse, if there are no parents involved, the kid has to learn it all on their own and will highly likely get it wrong.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:07 am

A lot of it is a byproduct of watching your parents make the same disastrous financial mistakes (without knowing that what they're doing is wrong).

Example: Impoverished areas with a high teen pregnancy and welfare rate. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy most times because it's a societal norm without enough education on why following that path to bad krebitz is a bad thing.

A lot of people have zero idea of how the whole credit system works. I agree, it does seem like it should be easy to attain an 800+ credit score - but people like you and I think that because we understand it.

I constantly provide advice to my clients and customers on things they should be doing to improve their credit score.
Yep. And sadly this is a rather high percentage of the US population.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:28 am Image

Holy fuckballs, 370 mile range on the model S now. As much as I hate the fact that these cars are literally everywhere here, they make the most sense for me :(

something something end is near. Something something Elon Musk is a moron. Something something shitty quality. Would not buy.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

I don’t think I got much more than 370 miles of range in any of the cars I’ve owned.
5 mins refill vs charging spots is the real issue for most, isn’t it? Oh and cost, obviously.

Luckily there are chargers where I currently live and work is 40 miles round trip so in theory, a used I3 BEV could work for me.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:15 am

Sadly, no, no it isn't. "Common sense" type things such as don't buy stuff you can't afford, save some of the money you make, eat reasonably healthy, etc, still have to be taught and learned. A lot of this is put on the parents to do. But if the parents are getting it wrong you can damn well bet the kids will get it wrong as well because that's what they know. Or even worse, if there are no parents involved, the kid has to learn it all on their own and will highly likely get it wrong.
That’s what separates the haves and have nots. Some think about future and try to figure out how to make it work. Some decide that $4000 wheels on a $400 car is a good way to attract a potential mate.

You choose the path no one is making you.

My parents taught me jack shit about money, matter of fact I am :rage: ing with my dad and step mom now because they are refusing to sell a house a retire at peak bubble. And they are living well beyond their means
max225

Swedish Chef wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am

I don’t think I got much more than 370 miles of range in any of the cars I’ve owned.
5 mins refill vs charging spots is the real issue for most, isn’t it? Oh and cost, obviously.

Luckily there are chargers where I currently live and work is 40 miles round trip so in theory, a used I3 BEV could work for me.
5min Refill at a shitty ass cancer causing gas station 1-2 miles from home vs coming home and plugging in the car which takes 5 seconds ? You don’t use the car for 12hrs of the day at least. It is always full.

This whole charging argument is :fullretard: it is superior in 99/100 scenarios. Outside when doomsday comes and you take your guns to rob your neighbors of fuel when the power gets cut.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:26 am

5min Refill at a shitty ass cancer causing gas station 1-2 miles from home vs coming home and plugging in the car which takes 5 seconds ? You don’t use the car for 12hrs of the day at least. It is always full.

This whole charging argument is :fullretard: it is superior in 99/100 scenarios. Outside when doomsday comes and you take your guns to rob your neighbors of fuel when the power gets cut.
At home charging is great, when you have a garage in the home you own with said charger.

I'm not plugging in a 300ft extension cord at my apartment to charge up overnigh; then some dumbass crotchfruit decides to unplug it in the middle of the night leaving me with minimal charge to get to/from work the next day.
max225

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:30 am

At home charging is great, when you have a garage in the home you own with said charger.

I'm not plugging in a 300ft extension cord at my apartment to charge up overnigh; then some dumbass crotchfruit decides to unplug it in the middle of the night leaving me with minimal charge to get to/from work the next day.
If you live in an Appartement you have no business buying a 50-130k vehicle, your life priorities are backwards at that point. Also most decent places in sf have ev charging built in, yes apartments. At the same time having a vehicle at that point makes little sense.
Johnny_P

My house to Washington DC is 135 miles. I could theoretically drive to DC, fuck around there, and drive back, all without needing to plug in, and still have enough range for a week of commuting to/from work.

If I had a place to charge it. I'd buy one tomorrow if I had a place to plug it in.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

No charging up here AND the cost of electricity is higher than the cost of gas in a decently efficient hybrid.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:35 am No charging up here AND the cost of electricity is higher than the cost of gas in a decently efficient hybrid.
Which is why you don’t have one or consider one, makes sense. This isn’t for everyone
troyguitar

Of course I didn't buy a hybrid either, but that's a different issue. I don't know if there even are any sporty AWD hybrids under $50k or so yet. The 330e is RWD and reviews as worse to drive and really no more efficient than a regular 330i, for example.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:48 am Of course I didn't buy a hybrid either, but that's a different issue. I don't know if there even are any sporty AWD hybrids under $50k or so yet. The 330e is RWD and reviews as worse to drive and really no more efficient than a regular 330i, for example.
Rav 4 hybrid seems to do the trick
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:48 am Of course I didn't buy a hybrid either, but that's a different issue. I don't know if there even are any sporty AWD hybrids under $50k or so yet. The 330e is RWD and reviews as worse to drive and really no more efficient than a regular 330i, for example.
Rav 4 hybrid seems to do the trick
There is nothing sporty about that. Put that drivetrain in the Supra/86 or the IS/RC cars... Hell put it in the Prius itself with some bigger sway bars and it'd be interesting. A Prius Sport like that could be down in the 6.x 0-60 range and still get 45 mpg on 87.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:57 am There is nothing sporty about that. Put that drivetrain in the Supra/86 or the IS/RC cars... Hell put it in the Prius itself with some bigger sway bars and it'd be interesting. A Prius Sport like that could be down in the 6.x 0-60 range and still get 45 mpg on 87.
See, this kind of hybrid drivetrain I could get on board with.

Why do hybrids have to be boring?
Dunno. I think it's an easy button for Toyota in particular. The Prius platform is already set up for AWD and the Rav's drivetrain has already been developed. It seems like most manufacturers are either developing or have already developed a ~4000 lb CUV with a ~40 mpg ~200 hp hybrid AWD drivetrain - and they all have a compact car chassis which could accommodate it, resulting in a ~45 mpg sporty sedan/hatch that can also be used as a regular car anywhere in the country.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:57 am There is nothing sporty about that. Put that drivetrain in the Supra/86 or the IS/RC cars... Hell put it in the Prius itself with some bigger sway bars and it'd be interesting. A Prius Sport like that could be down in the 6.x 0-60 range and still get 45 mpg on 87.

Because the non boring ones never sold. See Honda Accord Hybrid+ a few other high profile failures
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:22 am
wap wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:36 pm

Such as...?
I'll have to dig out my music list and get back to you...... I believe what I have was late 60's rehearsals
:neat:
Likely Let it Be bootlegs and outtakes. Some of it was released as a bootleg called the Black Album. There's some great stuff on it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

A lot of it is a byproduct of watching your parents make the same disastrous financial mistakes (without knowing that what they're doing is wrong).

Example: Impoverished areas with a high teen pregnancy and welfare rate. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy most times because it's a societal norm without enough education on why following that path to bad krebitz is a bad thing.

A lot of people have zero idea of how the whole credit system works. I agree, it does seem like it should be easy to attain an 800+ credit score - but people like you and I think that because we understand it.

I constantly provide advice to my clients and customers on things they should be doing to improve their credit score.
This is sadly so true... I even have members of my own family who exhibit this so much. The kids are now in their early 20s and still living at home in the poor house, working shit jobs, and spending the money on video games, clothes, etc. because they don't have bills.

It's really difficult to see out of the ditch that you're in, many people just don't even realize some changes could make a huge difference. Also, it's very challenging to avoid instant gratification for the long game.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Because the non boring ones never sold. See Honda Accord Hybrid+ a few other high profile failures
Don't forget the CR-Z. First hybrid with a :manuel:
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:52 pm

This is sadly so true... I even have members of my own family who exhibit this so much. The kids are now in their early 20s and still living at home in the poor house, working shit jobs, and spending the money on video games, clothes, etc. because they don't have bills.

It's really difficult to see out of the ditch that you're in, many people just don't even realize some changes could make a huge difference. Also, it's very challenging to avoid instant gratification for the long game.
I don't blame the parents. Fk that. That's like saying hitlers kids will be mass murderers also. People make their own path in life.