Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Wow. :dat: looks pretty great.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:48 am
coogles wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 am Wow. :dat: looks pretty great.
:dat:

We have a white/red :manuel: coming in - I'm :excited: to see that in person.

I'll offer my driving impressions of the :manuel: 3 later today.
:koolaid:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:08 am Image

This is hot. :megusta:
I dig it. New interior is a huge step up from the last one. Red leather is neat.

Is this the 2.5L engine or the new skyactivX?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:58 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:58 am

:koolaid:
Koolaid is good, doe.

I'm tres impressed with the new 3 - my only complaint is the lack of a turbro.
The loss of the multi-link for a torsion beam rear is a bit :disappoint: , but I realize it'll probably matter exactly none for anyone who's looking at one of these.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Dat red leather is :megusta:
New 3 looks like a :notbad: place to spend some time in.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:59 am

I dig it. New interior is a huge step up from the last one. Red leather is neat.

Is this the 2.5L engine or the new skyactivX?
Skyactiv-X won't be out until the 2020 MY car most likely.
Probably still fine. The 2.5 has enough zip for something this size.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Deets on price and mileage, and specs. Looking forward :popcorn: before i get one local :lol:

Edit: i thought it was a BMW :nevermind: but yeah keep dat posted
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:59 am While this certainly makes business sense, I think BMWs average buyer has to clue and/or no care about depreciation. I mean my car dropped $20k in 15k miles... Nuts .

But I have this friend, DINK husband and wife I'm sure pulling over $300k combined. They just bought (not leased) a brand new X1. I jokingly called my car the Ultimate Depreciation Machine and he was confused to be sure. They have no clue about the maintenance or that their $45k car will be worth $20k in two years... Then when it becomes "unreliable" in 2021 because it needs some :dillerman: rape maintenance, they'll just trade it in and it'll be what it will be. These are two super smart people too, people just don't care/think about cars enough to realize a RAV4 wouldn't do that.
However, I would never recommend anyone buy a new BMW, ever.
:howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu:

:stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu:

:trollface: :trollface: :trollface:
Davestr

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:05 pm Dat red leather is :megusta:
New 3 looks like a :notbad: place to spend some time in.
:like: :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Pretty awesome that :manuel; is actually a thing getting shipped to :dillerman: and not just some spec sheet non existent :unicorn: shit.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:48 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Deets on price and mileage, and specs. Looking forward :popcorn: before i get one local :lol:

Edit: i thought it was a BMW :nevermind: but yeah keep dat posted
$28500 - 35-40 MPGs - 186 HP.

Comfy AF, doe.
i might probably be in the market :iono: long as it takes regular, lighter than my yaris, this might be cake. I'm just pretty unpredictable with my next :plac: move
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:46 pm

Pretty awesome that :manuel; is actually a thing getting shipped to :dillerman: and not just some spec sheet non existent :unicorn: shit.
I hooned around with one with a murdered, lowered, black one with :ramz: the other day..... it was sharp as hell
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:53 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 pm

i might probably be in the market :iono: long as it takes regular, lighter than my yaris, this might be cake. I'm just pretty unpredictable with my next :plac: move
Regular gasohol is all it needs.
i'll need some homework on that :math:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:08 am Image

This is hot. :megusta:
I have no need for a new Mazda of any stripe, but these interiors are quite superior and if I did I would be in for a test drive.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Davestr

Mid-Engine Corvette Plagued With Delays, Could Launch By This Summer With a Very Corvette Price -- https://jalopnik.com/mid-engine-corvett ... 1833247405

--This will be a pivotal moment for Chevrolet, as it’s the next big step in positioning the Corvette as a world beater for a fraction of the cost. While we’re relatively sure the C8 will cost quite a bit more than the current C7 generation Corvette, Hagerty’s sources appear to be quite confident that the base model price will be somewhere in the $60-70 thousand range. Considering the current base Stingray starts at $55,900, that’s not too far of a reach for most buyers.--
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 pm i might probably be in the market :iono: long as it takes regular, lighter than my yaris, this might be cake. I'm just pretty unpredictable with my next :plac: move
Regular gasohol is all it needs.
Am I correct in that you can get a red interior on the hatch and white on the sedan, but not the other way around and only on high trim levels?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Davestr wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:18 pm Mid-Engine Corvette Plagued With Delays, Could Launch By This Summer With a Very Corvette Price -- https://jalopnik.com/mid-engine-corvett ... 1833247405

--This will be a pivotal moment for Chevrolet, as it’s the next big step in positioning the Corvette as a world beater for a fraction of the cost. While we’re relatively sure the C8 will cost quite a bit more than the current C7 generation Corvette, Hagerty’s sources appear to be quite confident that the base model price will be somewhere in the $60-70 thousand range. Considering the current base Stingray starts at $55,900, that’s not too far of a reach for most buyers.--
That would be really awesome if it turns out to be the case, pretty attainable for many people and the nice thing is, they're actually robust cars that can be enjoyed for years to come. We haven't really had a "low maintenance/mass production" mid engine car here in the states since the MR2, so this is exciting news. I thought they would be > $100K.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:55 pm Am I correct in that you can get a red interior on the hatch and white on the sedan, but not the other way around and only on high trim levels?
You are correct.

You have a second option on the sedan in the preferred package - Greige.

It's about as exciting as it sounds, I'd imagine. Haven't seen it in person yet.
A grey or white hatch with red interior would be the ticket, IMO.

What are the exterior options? The usually Mazda pallet of meh?
Davestr

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:18 pm Mid-Engine Corvette Plagued With Delays, Could Launch By This Summer With a Very Corvette Price -- https://jalopnik.com/mid-engine-corvett ... 1833247405

That would be really awesome if it turns out to be the case, pretty attainable for many people and the nice thing is, they're actually robust cars that can be enjoyed for years to come. We haven't really had a "low maintenance/mass production" mid engine car here in the states since the MR2, so this is exciting news. I thought they would be > $100K.
Well said - fully agree!
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:55 pm

You are correct.

It's about as exciting as it sounds, I'd imagine. Haven't seen it in person yet.

White on red :megusta:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:55 pm You are correct.

White on red hatch vs blue or red on white sedan would be the question for me. I really want a white or very light gray/beige interior more than red buuut prefer hatches obviously.

The kia stinger IIRC has the same kind of oddity: You can get a white interior with the 4 cylinder and a red interior with the V6 but not the other way around.

I think that I'm more likely to swap my black seats to beige than to :plac: soon though - and even more likely to do nothing at all. :scrooge:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I've heard reports that confirm this. The Corvette is supposed to be the attainable super car, and will continue to be. It's shaping up to be rather :notbad:

All this freaking out about delays and whatnot is funny. If the car's not right, it's not right. GM won't put a car into production that isn't 100%. The freak-out would be even worse if these things were manufactured and sold to customers with issues. People already go :triggered: on GM's quality.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:19 pm

I've heard reports that confirm this. The Corvette is supposed to be the attainable super car, and will continue to be. It's shaping up to be rather :notbad:

All this freaking out about delays and whatnot is funny. If the car's not right, it's not right. GM won't put a car into production that isn't 100%. The freak-out would be even worse if these things were manufactured and sold to customers with issues. People already go :triggered: on GM's quality.
Is it getting an 8AT and minimal radiators? :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Is it getting an 8AT and minimal radiators? :lol:
:triggered:

I'm gone from the company and can say whatever and I legit have no clue about the car. It's ridiculous how secret they've kept everything. All I ever did was bitch to the brand manager about price and he swore it would stay affordable and not far off C7. Aside from that, it could have a 454 big block and power glide for all I know.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.