Rental Car Reviews: Thread dedicated to the world’s fastest cars

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Helped my buddy do it, 25k miles on a 2006 Taurus IIRC for 8k it was 1 year old at the time. It was driven for another 10 years and 130k miles until it was abandoned by his mother... a Guadalupe slayer picked it up for $500 afterwards.

Nothing ever broke on that car, and I am pretty sure it may have gotten an oil change every 15k at best.

At that point you treat the car like a commodity, do some checks and get it ready to go. :whocares: buying a rental mustang or corvette :doe: FUCK that.
Agreed, but I would never consider purchasing a Ford Taurus either.
Most of us wouldn't for ourselves.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My fil picked up a Sebring that was a one year old rental at the time for peanuts and drive it eleven years. Not my cup of tea but still :impressive: :scrooge: ! :like:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:35 am My fil picked up a Sebring that was a one year old rental at the time for peanuts and drive it eleven years. Not my cup of tea but still :impressive: :scrooge: ! :like:
:dat:
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

Flew into Charlotte last week and needed a one-way to get home so rented a Malipoo or equivalent through Hertz.

Hertz has something called Ultimate Choice where depending on your status you can pick any car from a dedicated lot.
Since this is the South they had two new 2500 Rams and as it was no extra cost, I obviously I had to have one.

TLDR; it sounds awesome and pulls surprisingly well but ride is so much worse than a 1500 truck.
I didn't exactly baby it but returning it with an average of 12.6mpg was :lol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Interesting that has a different shape and style fuel door than the one I had
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:39 pm Flew into Charlotte last week and needed a one-way to get home so rented a Malipoo or equivalent through Hertz.

Hertz has something called Ultimate Choice where depending on your status you can pick any car from a dedicated lot.
Since this is the South they had two new 2500 Rams and as it was no extra cost, I obviously I had to have one.

TLDR; it sounds awesome and pulls surprisingly well but ride is so much worse than a 1500 truck.
I would love to :derp: around in one :megusta: :truckyeah:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:19 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:39 pm Flew into Charlotte last week and needed a one-way to get home so rented a Malipoo or equivalent through Hertz.

We both had gray RAM :truk:

I loved the cloth on the seats and makes me wonder if I'd willingly skip ventilated seats just to keep this material. It does great burnouts too my longest one of the rental was 315ft.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:42 pm

I loved the cloth on the seats and makes me wonder if I'd willingly skip ventilated seats just to keep this material. It does great burnouts too my longest one of the rental was 315ft.
:impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

No cummins, no care
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:meatspin:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Exact thought going through my head before I jumped into it at the Hertz lot.
A half ton truck is way better unless you do actually heavy duty :truk: work obviously.

I rented a F150 2.7 early last year and was pleasantly surprised by how well it drove.

I thought you had a crew cab!
How was the rear sear?

Significantly bigger than your truck’s?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:27 pm

A half ton truck is way better unless you do actually heavy duty :truk: work obviously.

I rented a F150 2.7 early last year and was pleasantly surprised by how well it drove.

How was the rear sear?

Maybe a smidge bigger. It's more usable due to the doors opening like a normal door though. Can always move the seat up a bit. I don't think it would cause and problems with car pooling or trips to Charlotte/Raleigh etc.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:05 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:27 pm

How was the rear sear?

Maybe a smidge bigger. It's more usable due to the doors opening like a normal door though. Can always move the seat up a bit. I don't think it would cause and problems with car pooling or trips to Charlotte/Raleigh etc.

My 30” bag fit on the floor between rear bench and my (6’2) seat easily.
Ridiculously big rear seat room in the new crews.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:53 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:05 pm

My 30” bag fit on the floor between rear bench and my (6’2) seat easily.
Ridiculously big rear seat room in the new crews.
The difference is kind of absurd. I think the crew cab looks a bit awkward on the half ton trucks.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Forgot to post here about the rental upgrade I got in Turkey last July. So I asked for a supermini :manuel: :excited: but they all ran out so I got upgraded to only one car available, and that is the g30 BMW 520i.

It felt almost no different than a camry :sad: smooth powerband, despite being 180 hp.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:18 pm Forgot to post here about the rental upgrade I got in Turkey last July. So I asked for a supermini :manuel: :excited: but they all ran out so I got upgraded to only one car available, and that is the g30 BMW 520i.

It felt almost no different than a camry :sad: smooth powerband, despite being 180 hp.

tHe uLtImAtE dRiViNg mAcHine.
-sponsored by fleet spec BMW gang

Where in Turkey is this?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:03 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:18 pm Forgot to post here about the rental upgrade I got in Turkey last July. So I asked for a supermini :manuel: :excited: but they all ran out so I got upgraded to only one car available, and that is the g30 BMW 520i.

tHe uLtImAtE dRiViNg mAcHine.
-sponsored by fleet spec BMW gang

Where in Turkey is this?
In a beach town called ayvalik, by the way of Izmir, i rented it from the Istanbul airport, drove 6 hours down and 4 hours back, had it for one night. That pic in particular was in a rest area close to Bursa as I was on the way back
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

My mom is in town this weekend so I rented her a car. I booked a "premium" car from Dollar for $21 and upon arrival they offered me a CTS, and a 530i but those would be much bigger than my mom would like and both were RWD. We're expecting up to 12" of snow so I asked if there was anything AWD and she said there was a 2020 XT4 so I said sure. Unfortunately it has no heated seats but it is AWD and a nice size. The stereo hits hard and it definitely gets sideways on command, but the UI isn't easy to figure out on the fly.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:15 pm My mom is in town this weekend so I rented her a car. I booked a "premium" car from Dollar for $21 and upon arrival they offered me a CTS, and a 530i but those would be much bigger than my mom would like and both were RWD. We're expecting up to 12" of snow so I asked if there was anything AWD and she said there was a 2020 XT4 so I said sure. Unfortunately it has no heated seats but it is AWD and a nice size. The stereo hits hard and it definitely gets sideways on command, but the UI isn't easy to figure out on the fly.
Overall you like? Is it a 2.0T/8AT?

I kind of like these. The XTS I rented was fine. This is likely better than that was.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Just turned in my Elantra rental. It was my second Elantra in the past month... It's truly a decent car, has everything you could need and more and is very fuel efficient. I had the choice setup plan with National - decided to just grab this over a Camaro or Challenger to save fuel and not seem ostentatious at my sales meetings. I think next time I'll say fuck the h8ers and get the Camaro (it wasn't a V8 :doe: , just poverty spec).

Elantra is 3.5/7 though, will probably rent again.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:46 pm Just turned in my Elantra rental. It was my second Elantra in the past month... It's truly a decent car, has everything you could need and more and is very fuel efficient. I had the choice setup plan with National - decided to just grab this over a Camaro or Challenger to save fuel and not seem ostentatious at my sales meetings. I think next time I'll say fuck the h8ers and get the Camaro (it wasn't a V8 :doe: , just poverty spec).

Interesting
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:18 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:15 pm My mom is in town this weekend so I rented her a car. I booked a "premium" car from Dollar for $21 and upon arrival they offered me a CTS, and a 530i but those would be much bigger than my mom would like and both were RWD. We're expecting up to 12" of snow so I asked if there was anything AWD and she said there was a 2020 XT4 so I said sure. Unfortunately it has no heated seats but it is AWD and a nice size. The stereo hits hard and it definitely gets sideways on command, but the UI isn't easy to figure out on the fly.
Overall you like? Is it a 2.0T/8AT?

I kind of like these. The XTS I rented was fine. This is likely better than that was.
It's 2.0T with the fwd platform 9spd tranny. Honestly it's probably pretty nice. The streets were completely iced over yesterday so I didn't get to focus on the car much. The power liftgate is disabled though and I can't figure out how to enable it
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:46 pm Just turned in my Elantra rental. It was my second Elantra in the past month... It's truly a decent car, has everything you could need and more and is very fuel efficient. I had the choice setup plan with National - decided to just grab this over a Camaro or Challenger to save fuel and not seem ostentatious at my sales meetings. I think next time I'll say fuck the h8ers and get the Camaro (it wasn't a V8 :doe: , just poverty spec).

My same exact thoughts. I averaged 40 mpg in the one I rented.
max225

:whocares: about mpg when work is paying for it anyways
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:19 am :whocares: about mpg when work is paying for it anyways