:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:58 pm
Oh for sure...I'm riding my current lease until they force me to order a new vehicle and restart the clock. Which should be around October. Just thinking ahead.

Also, 2 weeks notice isn't a thing in the auto industry if going to a competitor or supplier (my most likely outcome)
Ah the leave the badge on the table and don’t let the door hit you on your way out scenario. I figured you wanted out of automotive
Oh I do...that's just going to be a tall order.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:34 pm https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 8469185826

I could buy that and a 991 for about what my :jeep: :truk: costs probably.

:notsure: fucking :plac:
That :doge: is :notbad:
Debatable.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:26 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:44 pm

That :doge: is :notbad:
Debatable.
Go on...

V8, 4x4, no rust, reasonable miles. What's missing?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:34 pm https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 8469185826

:derp: kota for under 4k with a 4x4 seems pretty good. Btw... I always thought that 4.7 was a solid engine, but it seems like it hasn't aged super well, at one point when I was trying to dwell in my poverty, I was trying to find a WJ, however I saw at least 1 in 5 with a "blown motor" which i found surprising. Doesn't seem to happen as much on other vehicles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:30 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:26 am

Debatable.
Go on...

V8, 4x4, no rust, reasonable miles. What's missing?
Not a bad deal... but ask :melon: about his experience with basically that exact :truk:

I mean, it seems fine if you're poor but pretty major downgrade from a brand new :jeep: :truk:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

As a follow up to that, I think that would be a perfect beater :truk: if you need one... If I was to daily a :truk: , meh, yours is better.

I would get a 991 + that Dakota over a Gladiator personally, if that is really a thing.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:36 pm

Why do you hate yourself?
I think it's because I'm dead inside and hate is the only emotion that makes me feel alive anymore?
:salt:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

I mean the man from detroit, always gripes about something, house here house there, C5 here AMC gremlin there, porsche 944 vulvas etc...

However... Gladiator stands strong as a vehicle that he has not once complained about... which by itself is :impressive: I think it is worth having that for 10 years. Like :whocares: It will still likely be 20k in 10 years... so 4k a year at WORST for depreciation... is $350ish a month... seems WORTH it. Almost no cheaper way to drive something as good unless you're just trying to save money.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Green was a decent beater truck, but it rode like crap and was actually a lot slower than you would think. Even with the manual, I felt I had to work the engine hard to keep up with traffic.
Also, it sucks down the gas.

Also, at that mileage there's timing chain and head gasket concers, as well as possible issues with the auto trans.
Not yuge issues, just something to be aware of.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am I mean the man from detroit, always gripes about something, house here house there, C5 here amp gremlin there, porsche 944 vulvas etc...

However... Gladiator stands strong as a vehicle that he has not once complained about... which by itself is :impressive: I think it is worth having that for 10 years. Like :whocares: It will still likely be 20k in 10 years... so 4k a year at WORST for depreciation... is $350ish a month... seems WORTH it. Almost no cheaper way to drive something as good unless you're just trying to save money.
Max has solid points there.

And to add to this, downgrading to a 2000's beater truck is meh.
I tried to use that to pacify my wants, and ended up just getting what I really wanted.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am I mean the man from detroit, always gripes about something, house here house there, C5 here amp gremlin there, porsche 944 vulvas etc...

I tried to use that to pacify my wants, and ended up just getting what I really wanted.
Well, I'm assuming a ~$40k cost to buy the JT, which presents a lot of options. A cheap beater :truk: and a 997 or something as a "fun" summer car, for example.

But the point is a good one...I legit have no complaints about the JT. It's honestly been the most perfect vehicle for me that I've ever had, and I actually get sad thinking about getting rid of it. It's just a lot to spend on one vehicle and JT residuals are yet to be proven. JL's have softened quite a bit because of the production volume, I can't imagine JT will be much different. But if I can keep it for 10 years (which of anything I've had to date, this has the most staying power), then it is a moot point.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 am

Big Green was a decent beater truck, but it rode like crap and was actually a lot slower than you would think. Even with the manual, I felt I had to work the engine hard to keep up with traffic.

Also, at that mileage there's timing chain and head gasket concers, as well as possible issues with the auto trans.
Very good to know. I've always liked those trucks and am keeping an eye out for deals. Performance would probably be the most :flaccid: because I would likely tow with it frequently.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am I mean the man from detroit, always gripes about something, house here house there, C5 here AMC gremlin there, porsche 944 vulvas etc...

Thank you! Exactly! AS a long term play :jeep: isn't all that expensive. A cheap vehicle like that Dakota will pretty much always require $1-2K of maintenance up front, and will also be something you want to change annually, so you're looking at laughably close actual cost to own an OK beater versus a brand new :fancy: awesome thing you love. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of offing the thing.

What are the actual deetz on when the lease ends? They set a buyout price at that time for you to take or leave? You could try to lease another Gladiator an just ride them out as long as you're at FCA if you want/it's cheaper. Get a manual or a different color or something for variety.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:52 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 am

Very good to know. I've always liked those trucks and am keeping an eye out for deals. Performance would probably be the most :flaccid: because I would likely tow with it frequently.
Also, as I think the only person on the forum who actually relies on a 17 year old car as my sole means of transport and (other than the 20 months with the BMW) has for many years... you will end up broken down somewhere. My Corvette is pretty reliable but I've maintained it meticulously and it has lower miles and a more known history than any Dakota you'll find. I have had to tow it back from a couple track events which is not fun.

If this is a vehicle you are taking your family to remote locations in, you just want something 100% reliable, which very few 15+ year old vehicles will be.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:51 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 am

Well, I'm assuming a ~$40k cost to buy the JT, which presents a lot of options. A cheap beater :truk: and a 997 or something as a "fun" summer car, for example.

But the point is a good one...I legit have no complaints about the JT. It's honestly been the most perfect vehicle for me that I've ever had, and I actually get sad thinking about getting rid of it. It's just a lot to spend on one vehicle and JT residuals are yet to be proven. JL's have softened quite a bit because of the production volume, I can't imagine JT will be much different. But if I can keep it for 10 years (which of anything I've had to date, this has the most staying power), then it is a moot point.
:plac: is expensive.

I’ll drive out to Detroit and kick you in the nards if you don’t buy out the JT. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:54 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am I mean the man from detroit, always gripes about something, house here house there, C5 here AMC gremlin there, porsche 944 vulvas etc...

Thank you! Exactly! AS a long term play :jeep: isn't all that expensive. A cheap vehicle like that Dakota will pretty much always require $1-2K of maintenance up front, and will also be something you want to change annually, so you're looking at laughably close actual cost to own an OK beater versus a brand new :fancy: awesome thing you love. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of offing the thing.

What are the actual deetz on when the lease ends? They set a buyout price at that time for you to take or leave? You could try to lease another Gladiator an just ride them out as long as you're at FCA if you want/it's cheaper. Get a manual or a different color or something for variety.
Deetz are unknown. Basically, when it's time to get a new vehicle, you can request a purchase price quote that takes mileage into account. It would be a good deal under employee new pricing, and since I've had it since brand new (got it with 10 miles on it), it's basically a new truck to me. It'd be cheaper than buying new for sure.

Biggest issue with leasing a new one is a :gay: reason, but I absolutely love the color of the truck (Whorange) and that color was a super limited run that's now gone. Hydro blue is the only other color I'm somewhat interested in, but the Whorange is just far and away my favorite. Plus, if it is indeed something I can just keep for a long time, might as well just buy it and be done with the lease :bs: I wouldn't spec the truck any differently, and I've driven plenty of :manuel: transmission JT's to know it's more :| than :notbad:

Would be interesting to try a Mojave :doe: , but the wheeling I do I'd prefer the sway bar disconnect and front locker on the Rubicon I think.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:57 pm
Also, as I think the only person on the forum who actually relies on a 17 year old car as my sole means of transport and (other than the 20 months with the BMW) has for many years... you will end up broken down somewhere. My Corvette is pretty reliable but I've maintained it meticulously and it has lower miles and a more known history than any Dakota you'll find. I have had to tow it back from a couple track events which is not fun.

If this is a vehicle you are taking your family to remote locations in, you just want something 100% reliable, which very few 15+ year old vehicles will be.
:notwrong:

It's just been a while since I've had an old vehicle, the rose colored glasses come out when the price tags are so :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:51 pm

I’ll drive out to Detroit and kick you in the nards if you don’t buy out the JT. :lol:
:lolol: will need to add a :balls: cup to the expense list...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:02 pm

:notwrong:

It's just been a while since I've had an old vehicle, the rose colored glasses come out when the price tags are so :notbad:
I mean, I do enjoy it a lot! But when you're on the side of the road with your wife full of :rage: ... meh. I'm glad we have the new :jeep: for trips together and things.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:03 pm

:lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dat cost analysis plot thickens.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:07 pm
Dat cost analysis plot thickens.
:troywax:
max225

There are at least 2 people on this forum whose even newer C5 left them stranded. I am one when my rear leaf spring bolt broke, and Chris had this clutch fiasco at work.

:disgust: old car shit sucks
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:18 pm

There are at least 2 people on this forum whose even newer C5 left them stranded. I am one when my rear leaf spring bolt broke, and Chris had this clutch fiasco at work.

:disgust: old car shit sucks
The C5 is the only car to strand me 100% with that clutch failure...which seemed 100% random.

I had other car issues where I had to limp home, but they always got me home. Old cars can/do suck :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Mine has never actually left me stranded other than tire issues due to track/tire install - not really the cars fault. But it has certainly broken and caused headaches. I don't really mind that when it's not something you need to rely on day to day, but if you're commuting to work and going on remote family trips... it's a :nope: from me if you can afford otherwise.